Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

Hot: +1, Cold: -1, Volatile: +1, Dark: +0, Integrity: +0
Harm: 0/4, XP: 4/5, Conditions: Klutzy, Easily Groped

"Yeah Samantha, of course, I said I would." I smile brightly at her as we approached the fire pit. Her continued probing about whether I'd help her find her necklace was kind of endearing, if sad. Poor Samantha, if she had to keep asking she must have been really nervous. What kind of friend would I be if I didn't help her out, after all? Of course I would.

I am of course, still taking that XP.

I did shoot her a nervous look after nodding at Miss Langford as we were lead to the counselor's office. Did they see? Did someone like, tell on Samantha or make something up about us? Was it one of the girls from this morning cuz everybody was acting really weird!

But there was a Ranger in the counselor's office, which was really confusing because I'm pretty sure even if Samantha and I had done something which we hadn't! it wasn't like, against the law or anything! So I calmed down a little and then I thought at the Ranger's question.

I had met Lyn like, once? I think she was one of Judy's friends. But I mean, Friday night? No I hadn't seen here then or anything. Still, everybody looked really upset, so, I made sure I was super respectful when I answered.

"Uhm, well Officer Weaver," Oh man I hope Officer was the right appellation I had never talked to a Ranger before, "I've only talked Lyn like once, the first day of camp when everyone was introducing each other. I think she mostly stuck to her own group of friends?" That included Judy, but my parents had always told me not to tell the police more than they ask for, so I wasn't mentioning any names until I needed to. "I didn't see her on Friday though." I shrugged, then I paused. "Did...did something happen to her?" Just in case she had like, mysteriously vanished or anything - I kind of wanted to know.

<LifeGetsWorser> actually
<LifeGetsWorser> manipulate the ranger
<LifeGetsWorser> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> LifeGetsWorser, 5+1 = 6
<LifeGetsWorser> welp
<LifeGetsWorser> gently caress
<LifeGetsWorser> Krysmbot how dare you

I will at least take an xp for this

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Hot 0 Cold -1 Volatile 1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 Experience 1+1/5 Conditions:
Moves mimicked:

I cast my eyes over the list of treasures we have been told to find it is an eclectic collection indeed and put together with real cunning I am excited already! For example there are not many red flowers in the forest at this time of year and finding the feathers of three different birds that will be interesting although I could always ask my friends to lend me some if I had to. My partner Jake the boy human seems very nervous though I am not sure why perhaps he is not comfortable talking to girls I know that can be difficult for some human males. He looks as if he has maybe a little too much body fat which is a sign of not doing enough exercise so I do not know how helpful he will be as a partner but at least he seems to have some ideas about where to find things although I do not like the idea of crossing the lake!

I give him a big grin to make him feel more comfortable. "That sounds like a good idea but I hope you do not plan for us to swim!" I giggle to show that I am making a joke although I am also telling the truth I really do not want to get wet and I do not think I could swim very far in this body without becoming tired.

"Uh...no, there are, like, boats..." For some reason he seems to be even more nervous and I wonder if it would be awkward for us to spend this time together also using the boat would not be a very efficient use of our time.

"Okay that is great I have a plan. We will split up you will take the boat across the lake to the shed to get the treasure there and I will go by land and meet you there do not worry I am a very fast runner! This way I can pick up some other treasures along the way and we will be able to meet up in the woods while nobody else will be able to split up because they do not know the forest so you see it gives us an advantage!"

"Uh..."

Run Away: 2d6+1 7

"That is good I will meet you at the shed!" I dash off into the trees before he can reply that is something I have seen Kailey do before it is an effective way to get out of trouble in the short term and I do not mind him being cross with me later which is normally the disadvantage of this trick. As I run I dive into a thicket and snatch up a red flower then I scramble into a tree where Woodpecker has left a feather this is so much fun! I cut between the human trails as I make my way toward the shed but I know that I will probably reach it long before him so why not take a detour?

You see the image of the burning human cabin in the rain has not left my mind since I first saw it this morning I realise it is a metaphor but it is an intriguing idea nonetheless and I would very much like to know how it relates to Esther in reality. So as I run I let my feet trace the path I flew in my vision as I recall the sensation of raindrops on my wings...

I will run directly into something worse than Luke, which is pretty much anything I guess. Experience for Volatile.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Hot 1 Cold 0 Volatile 1 Dark -1
Harm 1/4 XP 3/5 Conditions: X-Rated Interests

I just stare at her offered hand. I pull a can out of my backpack crack it open and take a swig. Then I take her hand. "Yeah sure I guess. You're always acting spooked I guess you thought I was really trying to get you or something." I sigh. "I don't really get to turn off the scary."

Like with that rear end in a top hat Danny Abbot in Gorilla cabin. Celebrated defender of the rights of the poor persecuted white man he is naturally intimidated by me. This manifests in tedious bullshit of him trying to assert dominance with text book dating poo poo that only works on drunk bitches with no sense of self worth. And the dumb asses in his cabin eat his horse poo poo. So they're all trouble for all the Dragonflys if not yet soon. As long as none of us cave and gently caress those troglodytes we win. With the looks I see flying around in the mornings it probably won't be a problem. I'm sure one of the idiots will try to be a cure, as far as I'm concerned they're basically ebola.

I'll stick with Judy though. Maybe I can establish I'm not going to take her poo poo, properly. Or see if she gives me the eye sometimes because she's a clueless putz and doesn't realize it. Either way I got no other business just ride out this dumb game. I should dig for info on her cronies too. She might think she's hot poo poo because she has a clique. Maybe I can divide and conquer. Or at least size them up.

"Yeah so sorry I'm not one of your buddies."

Spending a string to give Judy Running Scared Shutting down 7 (oops on that notation) each of us lose a string. Promising no hard feelings

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 4, 2015

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Hot -1 | Cold 2 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm: 0/4 | XP: 1/5 | Conditions: Bad Karma

Well, I've got my appointments, one with Jewel and one with Sam, and if all goes well, one out of my two issues will be resolved, in one direction or the other. At least I can make peace with that whole mess, given some time... on the other hand, I'm probably going to be sweating out the entirety of this scavenger hunt.

It's a good day for it, at least. Although I can see Anila out of the corner of my eye, getting closer to us, with... who is that again? The tattoo girl from the other side of the cabin -- Emily or something? Ella Moore? Something with an E. Looks like she's trying to make conversation, and it doesn't seem like headway is occurring, although I can't tell whether she's just started or she's been stonewalled like this from the start. Today might not be a good day to deal with this one -- and then a counselor says my partner's here, although I'm watching still and did Anila just respond? Is today the blood moon or something?

Oh, right, my partner. I'm about to say hi when I get an actual look at her, and between the eyes and the curve of her shoulders, she seems dead on her feet... but also kind of familiar. "Nice to meet you, Jamie," I say. "I'm Esther Kirkpatrick. Uh, Cabin 6." This is a little uncanny, honestly. It's sort of like... well, back when the girl in Bunk C was a body instead of a presence (ghost seems wrong), she sort of looked like this. Well, not in terms of features -- just the serenity, maybe. Undeniably a little decayed thanks to events I couldn't guess at, but serene. It's sort of appealing.

Well, not appealing appealing, but... well... maybe?

"I'm not sure how much I can tell you about Judy, but I can probably compensate in the hunt. I know these woods better than I know myself." I smile, and it actually feels pretty genuine. Extending a hand, too. Do people still shake hands? Or, uh, hold hands? This is how people make friends, right? "Don't worry about it, hey?"

<MetalForehead> unintentionally turning on Jamie
<MetalForehead> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> MetalForehead, 8-1 = 7
<laptopfish> dun dun dun
<MetalForehead> hoom hah

Self, promise or string.

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 4, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Hot: +2 Cold: -1 Vol: -1 Dark: +1
Harm: 0/4 XP: 3/5 Conditions: Gratuitous

Ahhh, this is life! Traipsing about the woods, sunbeams piercing the emerald canopy, on the way to a prank that's got me giggling to myself just considering it? Yessiree is this gonna be fun!

Having slipped away from the group unnoticed - it's a skill, I'm good at it, you're probably not - I've made it most of the way to the picnic tables already, practically skipping down the twisting trails. Even humming a little bit too, I'm getting hyped for my own prank! Gonna be so great. Know how I know? I saw a Fox! A red fox specifically, I think, not a zoologist or anything. I had to stop to stare at it, it was so cute and it was just stopped there on a rock, sort of staring down at me. Well not staring, more like grinning smugly. A coyote of an expression, even if it was on a fox. We had a moment, basically, and it was cool. Thought about trying to take a picture of it, but that would've been disrespectful.

Anyways, interpreting that as Coyote's blessing for this one. Which is grand, since it's gonna be great. Unfortunately, the picnic tables? The final barrier between me and that gloriously easy to mess with signpost is Eddie. The annoying guy that thinks his pranks are clever but they're not and he's infringing on my gimmick! drat and double drat. It looks like he's got a shitload of water balloons and is in the process of loading up some backpacks with them. Probably for his friends, but I don't see any sign of them.

"Heya Eddie!" I call out jovially, alerting him to my presence while I trudge up the trail towards him. Hopefully we can handle this professionally (despite him being a rank amateur at pranking). "Sooo, water balloons? Cool, cool." It would make a lot of sense to grab one to guarantee mutually assured soaking, but I'm being all peaceful and pleasant-like so I gotta remaining unarmed.

"Sooo, I didn't see you here, you didn't see me? Sound good?" I got work to be doing, I don't have time for Eddie being all unoriginal in my pranking area.

<Rauri> Manipulate Eddie
<Rauri> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 2+2 = 4
<Rauri> booo
Marking xp

Rauri fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 4, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Hot: -1x , Cold: -1, Volatile 1, Dark: 2x
Harm: 0/4, XP: 2/5, Conditions:

Well that was weird.... which is probably a thousand percent understatement. What the hell was that? Still someone had been spying on us and told Esther and whoever it was thinks really weirdly. Still there's nothing I can do about it now I suppose. worrying about it won't make much difference. That probably explained why she wanted to talk to us both though.

Still when Dozy decided to drag us into her office I very nearly freaked at seeing the park ranger. What the hell did he want? I'm pretty sure being some sort of lesbian might be against the camp rules but even in the deep south it's not illegal let alone Colorado.

Still when he said the name Lyn Sterling my mind went blank for a moment. Who? then he slid the photo across, and it became a bit clearer. "Sorry," I added half-apologetically "I know the face but didn't recognise the name. I'm pretty sure she's one of Judy's gang. But Friday nah I don't remember seeing her around anyway?"

I wonder what this is all about. Evidently Jewel was wondering the same thing because she blurts out the same question rather awkwardly. "Yeah are we suspects for whatever it is because in that case shouldn't we have a lawyer or something?" Of course I probably should've thought of that before I started answering questions but I've never been in trouble before with the law. But all those CSI episodes have to have taught me something right?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

In the Counselors' Office:

Jewel, Weaver gives you something that looks almost, but not exactly, like a smile. He takes a String on you. "No, there's probably nothing to worry about. But... thanks for the info all the same." He laughs gently when Sam mentions a lawyer. "Hah, there's no need to be so dramatic. Nobody's under arrest." He glances -- just for a fraction of a second -- at Jewel. You can see the word yet in his eyes.

He sits back to write something in the file, and Rosie speaks up, irritated. "The reason you're -- the reason we --" She seems uncertain as to how to bring something up; Colby comes to the rescue. "Girls, R... someone... saw you. By the lake." Her eyes are kind, but worried. "I know being a teenager can be hard, and sometimes we have confusing feelings. But you know you can tell us if, if you're..." She trails off.

Elsewhere:

Kailey, Eddie laughs and does that stupid chin lift thing in your direction. "Fuckin' A, girly girl! Ain't nobody seen poo poo here. I'll be around if you're, uh, lookin' for something to do later." He salutes you with a water balloon, then tosses it into the bag and slips away off the path. No consequences yet, how lucky! As his footsteps disappear, a large crow settles itself upon the signpost, and eyes you disinterestedly. What do you do?

Esther, Jamie blushes a little as she takes your hand. "Nice! I guess I'll uh, trust you to t-take the lead." She's slow to let go, and sort of clings to your arm, looking you in the eyes. Have a String on her. "Hm, and just where are you going to lead her, I wonder?" quips Emma, coming up behind you. Anila's next to her, but just kind of watches to see how you'll react.

Judy, Luke and the feline girl finally seem to come to some sort of an agreement, though she looks extremely pissed off about it. They take off toward the lake, looking around shiftily. Torli, somebody bumps into you -- hard. Some guy with spikey hair, a dark muscular dude who'd be tall next to anyone but you, apologizes sarcastically. "Oh, sorry, babe, didn't see you there." A couple of other kids nearby snigger. The guy's obviously trying to get a rise out of you. Or start a fight, maybe. What are you going to do about it?

Sky, Jake opens his mouth as if to protest, but can't think of anything before you're gone, baby, gone. You flit through the morning woods, seeking the trail from your vision; everything's different with the sun shining (and from ground level, no less). But eventually you recognize that tilted rock Esther walked past and find the path. It's overgrown now, unused, but what is that to you? You follow it into the woods, the sounds of camp fading behind you, until you are all alone, with no company save the far off whistling of your distant cousin bluebird. And then you break into the clearing. Is it the same place as in your dream? You can't tell. There's no cabin, but neither are there trees or plants. And in the air, the smell of fire.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Harm: 0/4, XP: 5/5, Conditions: Klutzy, Easily Groped

Oh man I recognized a look like what the Ranger was giving me. You don't exist around a large number of disappearances from infancy without attracting some attention - fortunately we never stick around long enough for any sort of actual questions to come up, and even if we did, there'd be no evidence.

Not that there'd be any here anyway, since I didn't do anything, but I guess it was possible They have shown up already, though, normally I'd be aware of it. I was about to try and clear up the Ranger's confusion when Rosie and Colby both spoke up, and instead I just sort of stood there, mouth agape, for a second. Oh no, did everybody think I was into girls or something? I mean...well...I mean Samantha was nice and all and I know what she said and I didn't want to hurt her feelings or anything but...oh man...

"W...wait a second." I stumbled out after I found words again. "Nothing happened at the lake. Samantha and I just talked, that's all." Dreams aren't real so I mean no, nothing happened, jeez. "My parents always say don't jump to conclusions, so please don't, okay?" I was talking to Colby specifically, but the intention was for Rosie, who was obviously who Colby didn't say the name of and who obviously was making things up.

Rolling to shut Rosie down

2d6-1: 8 [2d6=4, 5]

Going to trade conditions because I gotta catch 'em all and there's no strings anywhere. So, she can have the condition "Speaks Falsely" and give me one in exchange.

That makes 5 xp! I'll use it to buy Dark Recruiter from the Infernal Playbook. I'll update the sheet later.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Harm: 0/4 | EXP: 1/5 | Conditions: Bad Karma

Okay, either I got the social protocol correct or really incorrect, because Jamie's reaction is... friendly. But I am definitely not thinking about the blushing or the closeness or the direct eye contact at the moment. Just thinking about scavenger hunts, and also making new friends who are friends, and dealing with the various social issues that may have built up while I wasn't paying attention at a reasonable and sane pace so that they will be resolved.

Speaking of which, from behind I hear "And just where are you going to lead her, I wonder?" As quickly as I reasonably can, I pivot, and Ella or Ennis or whatever her name was is standing there, and at her side is Anila. As if something could just randomly go right for me with no risk, right? On the other hand, we're all fairly non-confrontational here, as far as I know; unless I specifically bring up my whole episode and the deepwoods issue, she'll probably leave well enough alone.

"...Into the woods?" ABORT ABORT ABORT. I very carefully do not wave my hands to indicate a verbal misstep, because that is the kind of thing liars do; instead, I just shrug a little for the disaffected effect. "I mean, I've sort of got a home fi -- a familiarity advantage, since I spend a lot of time hiking, so, uh, we'll probably be able to cover a lot of the list out there." Did I save that one? I honestly can't tell. "Why do you ask?"

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 6, 2015

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Harm 1/4 XP 4/5 Conditions: X-Rated Interests, Dominatrix

rear end in a top hat. "Huh what?" I turn around and plant my elbow into his nose. "Oh poo poo sorry. You were below my field of vision." I look down at Mike holding his nose. If Abbot is the brains of Gorilla cabin, to flagrantly use the term brains, than Mike is the muscle. "Oh you know me, so clumsy." I shrug and really pour on the sarcasm. "Isn't the hunt out that way, anyway?"

Lash Out 11 He needs to hold steady to retaliate.

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 6, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

"Maaaybe, Eddie. See ya!" I wave him goodbye, mostly pleased to not have been water-ballooned and I guess he thinks I'm hot and that's always an ego boost, even if I'm wholly disinterested in him. Ugh, bros are basically like... bulls. Big, brutal, dumb, and hilarious to fool, as evidence by Spainish Bullfighters. Duh.

With doofus gone I can finally get down to work, Crow or not. It's weird that it's so unafraid of me but like, crows are cool animals in my book. Maybe it's another blessing from Coyote? Approaching the tall signpost, I snag a trashcan along the way in order to put it next to the base of the sign. "Heya Mister Crow!" It looks down at me, but doesn't flee or anything. Weird but cool. "Got something to do, no making GBS threads on me or anything kay?"

Accord with the crow reached , it's sign altering time! Flipping my multi-tool out of my pocket, it's no trouble at all to alter the signs. Loosen a screw, slide the sign out, switch it with another or switch up a few at once to keep things complicated. Red Trail becomes Greg's Trail and vice versa, the various River trails all point to the left rather than the right, Third trail gets tossed into the bushes nearby, etc. Also I leave some correct, since it's funnier for some to be right.

"Hahaha, oh man I can't wait." I say to crow. It seems pretty chill. "Wonder who goes missing for longest? My money's on Sam." Climbing off the top of the trash can, having adjusted the final sign, I'm about ready to sneak back to the cabins. Since everyone's doing the scavenger hunt and will hopefully get lose soon, I should have until lunch at noon to look through people's stuff, maybe see if anyone's got weed they're not sharing.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 6, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

I could feel myself blushing at the counsellor's suggestion. "Listen I don't know who's been telling tales but nothing happened." I mean I kind of wished something would have but that's beside the point. "but you can tell whoever was spying on us that they should have better things to do with their time then snooping in bushes."
I wonder if whoever it was was the same person who'd told Esther about us but that was a thought for another day. "And as the senior counsellor here don't you have better things to do than spread rumours about people? When I want help I'll ask for it." I snapped.

[08:28] Ferrosol Shut down colby
[08:28] Ferrosol !r 2d6-1
[08:28] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 6-1 = 5

"Now can we go? or are you going to ask more stupid questions?" I said waspishly.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Harm 0/4 Experience 2/5 Conditions:
Moves mimicked:

So here I am at the end of the trail in my mind's eye. The shape of the hollow is the same as the place I saw but otherwise it is hard to be certain that it is the same place in the vision all the landmarks were indistinct behind the blazing human cabin which is of course not here. That does not surprise me I knew there was no human dwelling in this part of the woods but why is the ground scorched why does it smell of smoke and wet ashes and ozone? I do not remember any fire around here not in reality at least. And the air is so still the calls of my cousins are so distant I am sure that this is a special place and my mind goes back to another clearing in another life where the forest was frozen around the body of a human girl with strange clothes and dark eyes lying face-up near the remains of a fire.

I take a pinch of ashes between index finger and thumb and wipe it around my orbits. I hope you died well human girl.

I use my forbidden phone camera to take some pictures of the clearing in case I need to show anyone like Esther for example. What an intriguing mystery this is! I do not feel nearly so wary about Esther now after all we are both hiding something are we not? But for now I should return to the hunt Jake will be waiting for me in the shed by the lake and I can think of at least three more items I can pick up on the way. I am about to start running again when I hear Crow calling distantly in his obnoxious voice.

"Magpie you... boring! Red human... more fun! Come see... trick!"

I only catch about half the words it is so difficult to separate the signal from the noise with these human ears but I think he is talking about Kailey there are not many humans with red hair and she is definitely the most fun. I wonder what Crow wants me to see? I start re-planning my route if I detour to where I think Crow is I can pick up the hat of a 'park ranger' from their rest stop along the way as well as some more feathers and maybe an owl pellet yes this will still work! I take off at a sprint in the direction of the clearing with the tables.

e; no punctuation ever

Gato fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 6, 2015

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The Scavenger Hunt:

Esther, Emma smirks at your response, but doesn't push the joke. Anila suddenly speaks up, with that slow, careful way of talking she has: "I've been telling Emma all about you, and she thought maybe we could, ya know, team up. 's not like we've got much chance of winning, so we might as well... have fun." Somehow when she says 'fun' it sounds like some sort of medieval punishment. "Maybe you can show us some of the, mm, interesting poo poo you've found out there." Emma grins at that, and Jamie seems overjoyed at the possibility of changing the subject. "Right, sure, let's do that! C'mon, Esther, where should we go?"

Sky, you turn to leave the clearing, but, hm, that's odd. You can't see the way by which you came in. Maybe you got turned around while taking pictures? You circle around, looking for the trail, but nothing looks familiar; the clearing is surrounded on all sides by trees and underbrush! Overhead, the clouds rush past, driven by an unfelt wind. What on earth is going on? Hold steady!

Kailey, "I'll take that bet," you seem to hear from somewhere. You look around, but there's only the crow, who's been observing your handiwork from a nearby branch since you disturbed it off the sign. That's odd. But before you can consider the ramifications, a hand clamps down on your mouth and another latches painfully onto your arm! "Hey there, girly girl!" Eddie's chuckle is echoed by half a dozen more from around the clearing. This doesn't look good. What do you do?

Torli, Mike goes down, hard: "Ah, poo poo, loving hell!" He examines the blood from his nose, then jumps back to his feet. "loving freak, you think I won't kick your rear end, huh?!" He puffs out his chest and clenches his fists, like he's ready to fight, but it's all show: he knows you've got the reach on him and is too scared to come in close enough. The audience don't know that, however. Several people have noticed what's going on, and there are concerned whispers and shouts of encouragement: "Holy poo poo, the tall chick just clocked that guy! Hey tall chick, break his arms!" Mike glares at you with smouldering eyes, daring you to make the first move. Judy, Torli and Mike square off, and you can see that things are escalating rather rapidly. Most of the kids have already taken off on the hunt, and no counselors seem to be nearby. This could get ugly. Suddenly you realize you've lost track of Daniel too; he was standing right there just a second ago -- looking straight at you. What do you do?

Counselor's Office:

Colby looks shocked at Sam's response, then smiles sadly. "Okay, no, I'm sorry. I shouldn't push you." She nods at Jewel's explanation, but doesn't really look convinced. Miss Langford, however, scowls exasperatedly. "Tch. Where exactly did they raise you, young lady?" she snaps at Samantha. "Jewel, you can go back to the scavenger hunt; Ross will tell you what to do. As for you, Miss B- Miss Br- " -- oh look, Sam, it's that face people make when they're trying to remember who you are, how special -- "uh, Miss, you've just volunteered to clean the south boathouse while everyone else has fun. Got it? And while you're at it, think about how hard poor Colby works for you, and maybe you'll be a little more respectful next time, okay?" She crosses her arms and glares at you. "I meant today, campers!"

Colby takes a String on Sam; Rosie gives Jewel the Condition under suspicion.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Hot +0 | Cold -1 | Volatile +1 | Dark +1
Harm: 0/4 | Experience: 3/5 | Gang: 6/6 | Conditions: Pervo, Owned, Running Scared

I relax a little once Torli takes my hand, even if she isn't completely on board with leaving the past to the past, this is a good start, and I'll take what I can get now. And when she says she's sorry she isn't one of my gang, I can't help but give a bit of a rueful grin. "No complaints here, I could do with knowing more people." I glance back at the meeting area for a moment and notice Luke and the girl leaving, but its not like its a concern to me, they aren't from my gang so I don't need to be worried. Probably a drug deal or something, right?

I gesture with the scavenger hunt list and start to look down it, "where do you think we should st-" when suddenly Mike and Torli are lashing out at each other, and it looks like a fight is about to break out. And Daniel is gone, but nothing I can do about that right now, just means I don't have to watch my back right now. Which also means, I'm free to have a go at Mike. "Torli, you mind if I get this?" Mike might have muscles, but I'm a good, fast, fighter. "I could use a chance to work out of some of my stress."

I take a half step forward towards Mike, cracking my knuckles in anticipation, though I'll wait for Torli's say so. Won't butt in if she wants the fight.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Harm: 0/4, XP: 0/5, Conditions: Klutzy, Easily Groped, Under Suspicion

"B...but..." I squeaked out for half a second as Samantha was punished for speaking out, but I didn't want to piss off the counselors any more than they already seemed to be. Rosie especially - looks like she had a couple issues to work out. "Yes ma'am..." I mutter with a frown and head out of the counselor's office, offering Samantha a sad wave as I left.

This really wasn't fair to Samantha, I thought as I walked. I mean, I spoke up just as much as she did (though she like, yelled about stuff and I didn't, but still!). There had to be some way to help her out! By the time I had found where everyone had met...everyone had already left. So this was bound to be a really stupid scavenger hunt, at least for me. But whatever, these things happen. Maybe I could help Samantha out though, even if indirectly. If I didn't screw this up, too.

"Uhm, Counselor Ross?" I piped up as I approached, and smiled timidly. "Sorry I'm late, Colby and Rosie wanted to talk to Sam and I." I make it a point of looking around. "I uh, I guess I'm late for the scavenger hunt, doesn't look like anybody else is here really. Can I do it myself, or do I need a partner?" I think for a minute.

"Oh hey, I know, Samantha got asked to clean the south boathouse, but I know she was really looking forward to this. Do you think there's any chance we can get her back out here to help out maybe? I'll take her as a partner even, and then I'll help her clean the boathouse afterwords if it helps!"

Gonna try and manipulate Ross to help Samantha out.

<LifeGetsWorser> ok, lets be not a disaster krysmbot
<Krysmbot> LifeGetsWorser, 7+1 = 8
<LifeGetsWorser> good

What will it take megane? What will it TAKE?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Idiot thinks I'm going to bumble into some sort of trap I guess. I don't need to destroy him I already cowed him. "Heh, too scared to-" Then Judy steps up raring to go. That is some chutzpah on that girl. Wouldn't figure her for the vicious type. Most start to look the part, or look the part and start to be vicious. I shrug but can't help grinning. "Who am I to deny you? I've got nothing to prove anyway." I put my hand on her shoulder and lean to her eye level. "Impress me, alright?" I'm still beaming ear to ear, at her now. It's always me stepping in on behalf of others. This is an interesting turn of events.

Turn on 11 Now you better not beef it

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Harm: 0/4 | EXP: 2/5 | Conditions: Bad Karma

Ha ha ha uhhhh

"All about you." "Interesting poo poo" -- worse, "mm, interesting poo poo!" The problem with crises like this one, in my admittedly limited experience is that you can never tell whether the loaded language has been loaded intentionally, or whether it's just a bunch of coincidences that inflame your current concerns. (God, am I actually being watched this time? Girl in Bunk C who cried wolf, I guess...)

Either way, I need to regroup and plan out this confrontation, on my own terms -- which means shaking my tail. "Well, if you're interested in a tour, I can definitely provide..." I gesture towards the woods in a random direction -- it doesn't actually matter which way we go, after all, since I happen to be in possession of an excellent guide. "There's an ancient typewriter jammed a full foot into a riverbed out a ways, if you're game. Shouldn't be hard to find..." With that, I start walking, briskly, making the most encouraging gestures I can think of off the top of my head; like this, with myself maintaining a faint lead (with Jamie close by, the other two less so), we get out a fair distance.

Alright -- this seems like a reasonable distance out, since the trail turns into a few confusing, winding mini-paths hereabouts. Headed home, I think, and think of the trail in terms of the sound of rain / the mechanistic nature of the deep woods / the smell of fire, sharp and riotous, bloodied by its victory over humanity and yet utterly temporal / jealousy / the way air can cease to conduct sound / cease to be space by killing all relative direction / cease to be larger than a shack in the woods and you, O you, who will never be lonely...

Rightward, through this slightly denser thicket, is my route; it'll take me off the path and give me a straight shot, unobstructed by the searching tendrils of Camp Echo Lake. (There's enough distance here that my destination should be unclear, but not so much that I look like I'm fleeing; thusly, I step onto the other path, the one I share with her.) And, incidentally, it should give me absolutely no clear lines of sight to the others for long enough that it'll look like the forest's fault if they lose sight of me... at the very least, I can verify whether the site's been disturbed at all, and rejoin the group with very little muss or fuss -- which just makes me enthusiastic. Normal people like enthusiasm, I think. Plus side -- there really is a buried typewriter, so I just show up, feign some concern and bring them to a few cool, non-supernatural spots before the tour's over. Maybe they'll even be dispersed enough for me to one-on-one confirm what Anila and Ellen know or believe.

<MetalForehead> running away
<MetalForehead> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> MetalForehead, 11-1 = 10
<MetalForehead> HOOM HAH

Marking experience for Volatile.

I shift gears.

Homeward bound.

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 8, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Harm: 0/4 | Experience: 3/5 | Gang: 6/6 | Conditions: Pervo, Owned, Running Scared

I grin at Torli, she might be part of my gang, but if I can get her interest, she'd be a huge help against anyone from my gang who does want to start some trouble. And besides that, I really want to impress her suddenly. Making a mock salute, I turn to face Mike again and close in, giving my knuckles one last crack for effect. "I'm short as hell Mikey, you don't have to worry about Torli's reach anymore." I'm not that short, I like to think, but I'm not exactly tall and compared to Torli I must look like a child. I don't wait for him to try anything though, and immediately lunge in, clasping my fist in my other hand and swinging them both in a sledgehammer blow towards his side. It leaves me wide open- I'm used to fighting with my gang where I'll have someone to cover me, but even so it connects with a satisfying slam.

Lash out at Mike
11:21:51 PM godfish !r 2d6+1
11:21:52 PM Krysmbot godfish, 6+1 = 7
He can deal 1 harm in return.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

What the gently caress, Mister Crow? You coulda warned me!

So this isn't great, surrounded by a gaggle of guys intent on throwing me into the woods or something I guess. Why you gotta be such a dick Eddie? Still, I'm not freaking out or anything. I mean, Eddie's grabbed my mouth and arm and that's a total drag, so no point in trying to run. I'm better at talking, anyways. And in order to do that, I bite Eddie's finger. Not trying to hurt him - much - but still, wanna be able to speak my mind.

When he jerks his hand back in surprise, letting out a yelp, it's my chance. "Awww, c'mon guys! Really? I'm a lot of fun, no reason to do anything uncool, ok?" Giving 'em all a winning grin, I think this is going to work. "Besides, without me? You've got a total sausagefest on your hands."

<Rauri-phone> Manip Bro Gang
<Rauri-phone> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Rauri-phone, 8+2 = 10
<Axe-man> brah
Kailey is asking to evade mistreatment / hang out with them temporarily.

Hahahahahaha, it's totally going to work! Thanks to Coyote's blessing, they won't even remember it wasn't their idea in the first place! Hahahaha!

Since Eddie's grabbing me, not only is he behind me, I can't see his face and therefore don't know if he's as amenable as everyone else in his little gang. Looks like he's getting some special treatment. Backing up into him, the look I give him over my shoulder combined with my butt grinding against him should pretty well guarantee I get my way. What can I say? Bugs Bunny didn't mind kissing Elmer Fudd in the name of Trickery; think I can handle doing this.

<Rauri> Turn on Eddie
<Rauri> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 8+2 = 10
<Rauri> bwahaha Coyote luck
Kailey takes a string on Eddie

"Hahaha, the look on your face! You are happy to see me. So whaddya say, think I'm worth keeping around?"

Rauri fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 8, 2015

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Harm 0/4 Experience 2/5 Conditions:
Moves mimicked:

I sprint for the edge of the clearing towards the trail that runs alongside that little river under the long ridge but no it is not there? That is very odd I return to the center of the hollow and look for the gap in the treeline through which I entered but I cannot find it that is very strange indeed and I can feel the slightest sliver of panic unearth itself in my mind like a raptor is flying overhead.

No it is nothing it is a simple mistake I jog around the clearing but I cannot recognise any of the forest!

"Hey!" I call out into the still air. "I am lost!" I make the same call in my own language. I try to orient myself toward where I heard Crow but which direction was that in? I look up to the sun for guidance but the clouds are wait what are the clouds doing there is no wind what is happening what is going on? I dash back and forth across the clearing no longer even looking for anything in particular as the old hateful fight-or-flight response takes over.

Hold steady!: 2d6-1 3

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Yeah whatever, She can remember my name when they're gossiping about me but she can't remember it now. Typical. Just great. Stupid counsellors can't even do their piss easy jobs right. But I should remember all the hard work they put in oh yeah like organising lovely scavenger hunts and lame rear end group activities.
Still it's not like mouthing off is going to achieve anything so I just shrugged and said "whatever"

Might as well go and get this stupid chore over with then I can get back to looking for my pendant. I decided I might as well jog there as it's a nice day and the sun's out and I could use the exercise right?

[13:38] Ferrosol sam runs away
[13:38] Ferrosol !r 2d6+1
[13:38] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 7+1 = 8
you run into something worse

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Jewel, you find Big Ross looking out at the lake, where several pairs of kids are poking around the docks. "Cleaning the boathouse? Hah, what'd she call ol' Rosie to get stuck with that?" He rubs his beard thoughtfully. "I guess you two could --" From around the corner, you can hear shouting and cheering; sounds like a fight or something. Ross frowns and stalks over in that direction to investigate. Sure enough, there's a circle of kids surrounding... is that Judy? and some other guy. Ross scowls, then looks at you. "Hey, you know her, right?"
He'll agree if you help break up the fight or get Judy/Mike in trouble.

Samantha, the south boathouse is a good ten minute jog around the lake; it's not used very often any more, since the other boathouse is so much closer to the campgrounds. The sounds of kids having fun fades away behind you, replaced by the lazy hum of the woods and the whisper of water. You're all alone out here. Finally you reach the boathouse, complete with a faded fishing boat tied up alongside. The door is sightly ajar and it's... pretty fuckin' dark in there. From inside comes the smell of dust, and of wood wet for years. You have a really bad feeling about this. What do you do?

Kailey, Eddie yelps when you bite down. "Aw fer gently caress's sake, Ed. Don't be such a creep, jeezus," says a girl's voice with a thick Southern twang. Turning, you can see about seven or eight others gathered into the clearing -- mostly guys, but a few girls. All of them are wearing the same blue hood as the girl who spoke; they must have just dodged out of the scavenger hunt and pulled them over their normal camp clothes. Who do you recognize there that you wouldn't expect to run with a... group... like this? They seem impressed that you're not freaking out. "That's Kailey, man; she's cool," pipes up one of the guys, and several of them back him up. Eddie, feeling extremely uncertain what with you grinding against him, lets you go, but says nothing. Finally Southern accent girl shrugs, digs out a blue hood from her backpack, and tosses it to you. "Right, you're with us. C'mon." The others cheer and whoop and head off into the woods.

Judy, Mike rolls his eyes exaggeratedly when you tag in, but looks far more certain about fighting someone his own size. "Who the gently caress are you?" He sniffs. "Not like I care, of course." He takes your kidney punch with a grunt of pain, but he was ready for it this time: he knees you viciously in the side and tackles you to the ground. Take a harm. Cheers go up around you. Who the hell's going to go on a scavenger hunt with this going on right here? Who was the last person you beat the hell out of, and why do you wish it hadn't ended that way? What's unusual about the way Mike fights?

Sky, you whirl around the clearing, calling for help. The clouds swirl faster and faster, and your head spins with them. Gain the Condition disoriented. Finally, just as you're about to lose hope, you hear the familiar beating of heavy wings, and Raven swoops down from the sky. He alights on a branch, but shuffles his wings nervously, as though a predator were very close. "Magpie, oh Magpie, this is no place for you, child! You must leave --" He is interrupted by the crunch of a boot: Esther enters the clearing, ducking out of the woods by way of a path you did not see. You turn to follow her gaze, and where seconds ago the clearing had been empty, now there stands a sun-bleached and crumbling cabin, bearing a faded sign: CHICKEN HOUSE.

Torli, as Judy and Mike wrestle, a circle of onlookers forms. A pair of sisters next to you have their phones out and are gleefully taking pictures of the fight. A junior counselor has noticed what's going on and is trying gamely to get people's attention, but nobody seems to be listening to the poor guy. "Th-that was really impressive. You know. The way you uhm. Stood up to him," says a voice: Ayumi has come up behind you, looking sheepish. Across the field, you catch a glimpse of Counselor Ross rounding the corner, looking furious. Uh oh. What do you do?

megane fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 14, 2015

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Ah poo poo the fuzz. I could just let Judy eat the bullet but she's alright enough. "Cheese it!" I call out and run for it, hoping everyone breaks for it and Ross loses Judy in the confusion. I don't have time for Ayumi's poo poo, she can follow if she wants i guess.

Run Away 11

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Harm: 0/4, XP: 0/5, Conditions: Klutzy, Easily Groped, Under Suspicion

W...what? Oh wait Ross wanted me to break up the fight? I mean, it was totally nuts that Judy was getting attacked by Mike so I guess so...but...uhm...

"O...okay, yeah I...uhm..." I didn't really know what to say, but I headed over that way. I mean, I didn't really know Judy that well but, I totally didn't want her to get hurt or get in trouble, you know? So I guess I better at the very least say something.

"Wait, Mike, don't hit a girl! That's rude and besides the counselor's watching! You're gonna get in like, so much trouble if you keep it up!"

<LifeGetsWorser> Part one: Manipulate Mike
<Krysmbot> LifeGetsWorser, 4+1 = 5
<LifeGetsWorser> eweeeeelllp

I kind of ran into the middle of them both and put my arms up. This worked in movies, right? "You too, Judy, I don't want anybody to get hurt!" I said, facing her, my chest kind of heaving from running over from the exertion, maybe accidentally flashing her some cleavage from that.

<LifeGetsWorser> part 2, turn on Judy
<Krysmbot> LifeGetsWorser, 4+1 = 5
<LifeGetsWorser> ahahahaha what the gently caress

Neither of them seemed to be paying me any attention. And I probably should of maybe not run into the middle of them while they were fighting because both of them were kind of mid-motion when I did it like they were about to attack each other or something? Either way, they weren't listening. I wanted to shrug after Ross. I mean, I tried, right? Shouldn't that count for something?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Harm: 1/4 | Experience: 3/5 | Gang: 6/6 | Conditions: Pervo, Owned, Running Scared

I let out a grunt of my own when Mike's knee connects, and let him take us to the ground, dropping to one knee instead of falling completely flat and shift my foot over a rock to act as a brace. It takes a second to push past the pain of the blow- feels like it hit hard enough to leave a nasty bruise later- and then I grapple him full on, one hand locked with his, the other wrapped around his back trying to pull him the rest of the way down. After a bit of a struggle we end up thrown apart, and both clamber back to our feet and close in again for a few more blows before separating again. The fight was tougher than I'd expected, yeah he's bigger than me, but I figured that coming in. He isn't super good or anything, but he also doesn't lead his blows with his eyes at all, which is making this a lot trickier without my gang as backup.

During the few seconds apart, Torli shouts out a warning and I slip one hand into my pocket, and finger the coin, flipping it into my palm and squeezing it tightly. It'd do for a makeshift brass knuckle to take Mike out of this fight in one blow. I'm about to do it, but I remember Ji... hmm what was his name? Jimmy? Jeremy? Something. Whatever, it was J something. He's in Tortoise Cabin, one of the people a year older than us, and he was hitting on Lyn, really aggressively. She wasn't into it, at all, and when we told him to shove off, he left, but that night around the campfire he tried to drag Lyn off into some bushes. I didn't have the coin yet, obviously, or a proper set of brass knuckles, but a fist full of keys between my fingers taught him a jagged lesson. He was scum, but I probably shouldn't have gone as far as I did. He's still in the infirmary cabin. I probably shouldn't break Mike's jaw just to get out of here, especially considering Torli half started this.

I manage to stop myself moving forward towards ready to strike, a second before Jewel comes out of nowhere with her arms up. Perfect chance! Sorry Jewel! With her between me and Mike, and though I don't see him, Ross, I turn the forward momentum into a spin, then book it away from them into the crowd, then into the woods after Torli.

run away!
9:41:53 PM godfish !r 2d6+1
9:41:55 PM Krysmbot godfish, 10+1 = 11

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Ugh, blue's not my color.

Also, wow so guess I'm sort of in a cult now. That's weird but cool I guess. Wonder if we've got a Tom Cruise-figure. Alice, I guess? Clearly not Eddie. Or... Simon? DJ kid? Wouldn't figure he'd be in some weird outfit, wearing a weird outfit, like this - but there he is, rocking the shades and cloak combo. It's funny.

Hanging out with a gang like this not really my thing. Still, might as well tag along for a while - to see what they're up to. And maybe get them lost on the trails. Speaking of... "Somebody mixed up a few of the trails, noticed on the sign... here, lemme list 'em for you..." I rattle 'em off real quick, not wanting them to inadvertently get us lost using the signpost I hosed up.

As we sprint off into the woods, I'm still "struggling" to put the cloak on. Might as well figure out what's going on before I abandon my previous prank to hang out with the smurf squad. "So like, remind me again - what're we up to?" I ask, just part of the gang after all. "Totally on board with... whatever it is we're up to." Giant grin and goofy giggle too, totally disarming. As far as they can tell, I'm on Team Village-by-M-Night-But-Blue.

Manip NPC
<Rauri> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 11+2 = 13
Asking what's up with their gang / what "we" are up to?

Rauri fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 14, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Yeah that was quite a jog and I'd really worked up a sweat by the time I got to the boathouse. I dunno about cleaning it, from the state of it, it looked like it could do with demolishing rather than cleaning. Ugh, I was gonna be filthy. Still as I walked towards the boathouse I couldn't help but feel a draft of cold air, as the goosebumps rose on the back of my neck. The door swung on it's hinges with a creak that made it sound like it was going to fall apart.

[07:59] Ferrosol hold steady to creepy
[07:59] Ferrosol !r 2d6-1
[07:59] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 6-1 = 5
[07:59] Ferrosol welp

I couldn't help it. I jumped back. Must've just been the wind. Still don't be silly Sam it's just a creaky old boathouse. I stepped inside and cleared my throat, "umm Anyone else here?" I shouted a quiver of nervousness in my voice. But I didn't get an answer. No sooner had I crossed the threshold there was another gust of wind that slammed the door shut behind me. I could still see in the dim light there were enough chinks in the wall to make a few things out. Did I just hear something? "Hello? Hello" still no response.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Harm 0/4 Experience 2+1/5 Conditions: Disoriented
Moves mimicked:

Raven is here what does he mean can he not tell I am trying to escape? I am about to reply to him scornfully when suddenly somebody else is here and they are looking at a cabin which was not there before and this is so confusing and so wrong what do I do what do I do?

I run straight to the other person my brain registers that it is Esther just as I throw my arms around her but I do not care even if she is connected to this place it is good to have another warm breathing being to hold on to. "I am so glad you are here please help me I should not have come here it is a very abnormal place and now I cannot find the way back..." I am babbling and I am so dizzy from hyperventilation I exhale first then I take a deep breath and look up into Esther's face my eyes pleading "Please say you will help me you are a good person I know you would not abandon somebody in trouble?"

Turn On Esther (Better than Nothing): 2d6+1 6
Sky is pretty disoriented right now! Obliquely tagging Bad Karma to take that to 7 - string, promise, give self? Experience for Hot.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Hot 1 | Cold 2 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1

There it is -- Chicken House, and inside, a chance to regroup. (Also, a convincing glass eye for the scavenger hunt; it was on the list last year, and I figured it was an incredible souvenir.)

I take a step towards it, and another, slowly tracing out the uneven stone pathway to the door. (I'm always a little reverent; I can savor these moments of absolute peace, like the first sip of bitter coffee in the morning, like counting down from a thunderclap until you hear lightning.) A third step -- sound, am I hearing -- something wraps around me, what the hell is -- oh, oh. Oh.

It's Sky. It's -- how is she here, this is -- no, no, poo poo, I know these woods, I know how difficult it is to find my way here with or without aid, and I know I wasn't followed. The paths feel different if other people are around -- like glass instead of downtrodden leaves, or something smoother, slipperier, harder. She can't have followed me, she can't have followed me, that is not something normal people can do --

<MetalForehead> holding steady
<MetalForehead> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> MetalForehead, 6+2 = 8

Esther keeps her cool.

Calm down, I say to myself. Panicking accomplishes nothing.

Alright. In the moment -- I refocus on Sky's face, which, I am noticing, is too close, staring in absolute panic mode. I don't know how, but she's breached the border-marches, and she's impossibly close in multiple senses of the word, and for a second all I can think is how light she is. Like a gust could carry her off. I shudder, involuntarily, before regaining enough of my presence of mind to pull away from her grip. Or up into the sky, past the clouds and into the arms of the awaited.

Take a string, and Shadowed.

I've sort of been tuning her out unintentionally, but I caught "you are a good person" and I think I'm being asked for help leaving, to which I have absolutely no objections -- but questioning is more important, just this instant. Maybe, just maybe, she blundered into a weak spot in my concentric circles and, I don't know, fell in.

"Calm down, Sky," I say, trying not to let my own voice betray me. "I can -- peace, alright? Just breathe normally -- you just took a wrong turn at Albuquerque, or something, and you ended up -- here. Nothing abnormal, just -- how did you get here? Can you tell me how you found this place?"

Spending a string and offering an EXP to tell Esther how Sky found her way to Chicken House.

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 14, 2015

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Harm 0/4 Experience 3+1/5 Conditions: Shadowed :ghost:
Moves mimicked:

It feels it feels good to be so close to someone even if only for a moment to feel the warmth of your bodies blend together and your heartbeats synchronize even if Esther's is a little faster than I would expect. The moment passes and Esther pulls away but she leaves some of her calm with me so I can consider the entirety of her words. She begins by suggesting I got lost and I nod along gratefully I am happy to let this be the story if she thinks it is plausible even if I do not know what she means by 'Albuquerque' but no she has further questions like before and sharp as she is I could probably evade them but I will have to rely on her to get out of here so maybe it would be best if I rebuilt her trust? If I chose my words carefully my secret should be safe.

Sky will take that experience. Lucid and detailed was not a requirement :v:

"I followed you here once before I know the forest well so you see I was confused to see you take this trail it is so cunningly hidden a path between paths the rain did its best to confuse me but the smell of the fire was so distinctive." I do not say that this was all through my mind's eye for what questions would that invite? "My memory is very good so I did not have too much trouble finding the way back even in the sunshine since that is just the space left by the rain yes?" I step away from her as my eyes trace the outline of the hollow again the woods beyond are as featureless as ever. "I know this place is special or at least not normal not normal at all I could not find my way out again and that never happens not in this forest and the air here is so very - " I bring my fingers to my eye and the tips come away dark with ash " - so very still."

I feel calmer now the air in my lungs is returning to its tidal cycle and the tingling in my fingers is becoming the tingling of curiosity in my mind. The cabin was not here until Esther stepped into the clearing I know that memory can be deceived but I am certain of it and this is her space it must be or why would my sight beyond sight have connected her to this very specific place? I recall Raven's warning and I know I should leave as soon as Esther allows it but I also know that I might never have another chance to unravel this mystery.

"I feel better thank you I will leave when you want to if you show me of course but I just want to know what is going on here." I step away from Esther and take a few tentative steps toward the cabin then a few more then I reach for the door.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

As best I can, I listen to Sky's... semi-coherent account of her arrival -- which doesn't make too much sense because I swear, I swear I would have been able to trace her if she were following me earlier. I cast a long shadow in these woods -- although I can't exactly say that she's lying without having to talk about my source. She talks about the rain like it's an agent, too -- and it is, of course, but how could she know that? Unless it's a turn of phrase, because of course Sky isn't simple and unambiguous, because no one in this entire camp or in any camp is simple and unambiguous...

"The space left by the rain," what does that mean? There are a thousand ways to parse it, any of which could be in reference to the whole shadow lot I have... as she glances around, I follow her gaze. The woods around us are dim and convoluted, of course -- the light streams in at an odd angle, framing her with my outline -- and Sky is streaked with ash from the ground... she kind of looks half-crazed, honestly, which might mean that she's telling the truth... or she might just be crazed in general.

Once she's a little stiller, I raise my hands in a placatory gesture. "It's not abnormal, Sky. It's just a fallen-down cabin in the middle of the woods -- I mean, sure, it's unfamiliar, but that doesn't mean it's..." She's moving towards the door. "Sky, slow down, I -- look, it's clearly nothing and there's all this ash around, it's not safe --" she's not stopping. I reach out and grab at her arm as she approaches, a come-on grab, but she doesn't stop and she's at our door and in my territory, so I grab her firmly and pull, just a little harder than is necessary -- not painful, I don't think, just... hard.

"Don't go in there, Sky." Inside, I can hear the wood cracking and curling at her approach, the silent paint peeling. "You're not safe here."

<MetalForehead> Shutting down Sky
<MetalForehead> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> MetalForehead, 6+2 = 8

Exchanging conditions; Sky can have "endangered."

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 15, 2015

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Harm 0/4 Experience 4/5 Conditions: Shadowed :ghost:, Endangered
Moves mimicked:

Esther pulls me back as I approach the cabin door it does not hurt but it is a little startling and I stop in my tracks. Her words are contradictory her tone is urgent and the implication in her voice her face her affect is clear as running water this is her space her territory and the cabin is the heart of it. And I do hesitate for a moment maybe it is a little unreasonable to push on when I am already intruding in this peculiar clearing I would not want to upset Esther. But I want to know what is in there this whole adventure was always a search for secrets whether Esther's or anyone else's and now this mystery is so close at hand!

"If it is nothing if it is normal what is the danger why am I not safe?" I gesture around me taking in the clearing with a sweep of my hands. "I just want to know what is going on here what are you not telling me?"

Esther can have the condition Hiding Something in return.

I am sorry Esther if I am unsafe if there really is some threat that you are concealing or if you are dangerous yourself or whatever Raven sought to warn me of I will face that threat a thousand times over before I leave this treasure behind. And I do not truly think Esther wishes to hurt me so maybe she will stay by my side? I hope so.

I back away from the door as if convinced by her words. Then I leap backwards dash behind the cabin and clamber up the wall which is not so difficult a trick the old boards might as well be a ladder. There is a window on the roof I lever it open and drop through into the shadows below.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Harm: 0/4 | EXP: 2/5 | Conditions: Bad Karma, Hiding Something

"I... Sky, listen --" Halfway through the first sentence of whatever lie I can figure out in the middle of a sentence, Sky shifts footing and hurtles backwards weightlessly, my hand scything at empty air, and before I can follow she's behind Bunk C and I can hear the sound of her scaling the boards, and poo poo, the skylight, drat her lightness -- I slam the door to one side and rush for the Bunk A bed, the one closest to what little light the window provides, but before I can stretch for the decaying window fragments she's falling with a weird expertise into the shadows at my feet...

Shifting into narrator gear.

Sky's in the middle of a streaky patch of light -- the glass of the window is stained and ancient, serving mostly to highlight the darkness. Around her are the ruins of a cabin. The bunk beds are decrepit, weighted down with sheets and futons that were uncomfortable when they were new -- if they were ever new -- and which have been transmogrified by time and neglect into slabs of crumbling brick, springs exposed, skeletons testing the air. In the corner, one of the bunks is in ruins, a pile of wooden joints and metal and rot; opposite it, there's a stack of careworn paperbacks and a halogen lamp next to the bottom bunk, and an old, cobblestone well, gaping open in the center of the mattress, as if the whole place were built around it without anyone noticing. The blinds are shut, and bound up with lengths of tape; a few old pennants with no designs on them cover up thin cracks in the walls.

(There are shoes, in neat pairs, beside each bunk. A backpack with a few peace buttons on it sits on the floor, on its side; from this angle, it seems to be full of sand.)

Above the well, the top bunk's bed has been neatly made.

Everything in the room seems bone-dry, but the beds and the floor both smell like water, and the smoke from a recently extinguished fire. Thin flecks of ash and dust spiral in the air, disturbed -- but not too much; hollow bones, after all -- by the falling girl. The floor sags under her feet, too, and the whole place sighs with her arrival, a careless sound -- were the mattresses stained a moment ago? Were they that color, like loam after the storm? Are they? They're not, obviously. They're old white things that have sloughed off their bones and sagged and died, expelling dead air into a static room in a shack in the middle of nowhere, where points do not connect to points, where all directions are one. The door is off its hinges. All the doors are off their hinges. The wall opens onto a hallway that rejects the eye.

(There are no insects, anywhere. No signs of movement. Shouldn't this derelict have been reclaimed by nature? Shouldn't it be a part of the hills, or open to the sky, swept away by a thousand different storms that slowly ablate away Esther and Sky and the bunks and the floor and the smell of rain until no evidence is left of their passing, of anyone's passing? After all, no one sets foot here. The idea that you are here is a persistent lie you tell yourself.)

There's something off about the light. The door -- and the window, too. They seem... painted on is the wrong phrase. They're real. Clearly, they're real. The way photorealistic paintings are clearly real -- until raindrops score marks on the lavish colors coating the studio wall, abandoned after the deaths, its roof torn and exposed by vandals, second after second revealing the illusion, striking out the perfect forgeries of depth and breadth, reducing a portal to a convincing fake.

(Did the shadows always look deeper than real space, Sky? Do they now?)

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 17, 2015

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Jewel, tragically, your impassioned pleas for peace fall on deaf ears. Torli shouts, and everyone scatters for the trees -- nobody wants to be the one Ross catches up to. Jeez, even Judy just left you standing there, how do you feel about that? You don't have a lot of time to think about it, though, before you're shoved, hard, in the back. You skin your knee nastily against the gravel. Take a harm. "Don't hit a girl? What is this, the fifties? I'll hit whoever I drat well please," smirks Mike. He blows you a kiss and then follows the other kids out of the fire circle, with Ross hard on his heels. You find yourself alone...

...and in the stifling summer air, a chill runs down your spine, and the hairs on the back of your neck begin to stand up.

Judy & Torli, you book it out of the fire circle posthaste! The other kids scatter in different directions; sounds like Mike's the poor bastard who has to outrun Big Ross. What do you think of his chances? Reminds you of the last time somebody got in serious trouble, doesn't it -- what happened there? The two of you eventually stumble into a nice, secluded spot: a sort of grotto in the lee of a hill, hidden from the normal trails by a spill of large rocks. It's green and peaceful here, and you're pretty sure you've left Ross and the other counselors in the dust. For the moment, you're safe. Torli, what do you find in the dirt here, and whose do you think it might be? Judy, what do you say to Torli that you worry you might regret?

Kailey, the group grins and giggles as you explain your prank. Eddie quickly shifts tacks and offers you a high-five. With your instructions, they take Snake Trail for a ways, but then veer off the track. Alice stays near to you as you run -- is it to keep you from getting lost, or to watch you, do you think? When you ask about your destination, she smiles inscrutably. "We're just on our way ta help somebody out, 's all. Don't worry, we're not like, a cult or anything!" She laughs. "Here, we'll show ya -- just follow my lead." You loop round and come out of the trees behind -- a boathouse? That's odd. The others slip inside through a hole in the wall; Alice pointedly waits to follow you in. "Don't chicken out on me now, hon," she whispers. What do you do?

Esther, the girl from Bunk C roars in your ears. On the edge of panic, her voice a torrent of shame and injured fury, she demands to know why you've allowed the bound one to enter this place, and implores you to drive this intruder away, control her, kill her, anything, please!! She pulls away, hysterical, and you can feel her swirling around Sky in a rush of ozone. How does it feel to have someone in this place you've kept so secret for so long? What do you do?

Sky, you land unceremoniously upon warped floodboards, sending plumes of dust spiralling into the tired air. Immediately your instincts flare: oh no, no no no, this place is bad. But at the same time, it's... unpleasantly familiar. Where have you been before that this strange human building reminds you of? In your old body, the reflex would have been to take to the air, but what does this human form do, now that it finds itself in danger? What do you think Esther might be warning you about? Does she scare you?

Samantha, you stumble into the middle of the boathouse, and when the door closes you're left in cramped and sweltering darkness. Razors of afternoon sun slice through the musty air, but reveal nothing except for swirling dust. For a moment, everything is still. Then, one by one, candles flicker to life, illuminating the faces of others: kids like you, but in the chiaroscuro light their faces are jagged, alien. And each wears a strange blue hood. They have you surrounded; a muscular girl stands against the door you came in by. You realize, distantly, how far it is back to the campground. Far enough, surely, that no one will hear you scream.

Take the condition Trapped!

megane fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 18, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Uhh, obviously Alice is staying right on top of me because she's into me. No seriously though, she doesn't trust me - which means she's frustratingly perceptive. Hanging with these guys isn't going to be much fun with her on my back the whole time. We arrive at the rickety old boathouse, and I'm not too sure what the prank is 'till I see the hidden hole in the wall. Clever. Everybody but Alice and I files in and she waits on me. Hmmm... ahh, what the hell. You only live once!

"Babe, I'm more jackal than chicken." I wink at her for good measure... and give her a quick spank while she's distracted. I dunno, maybe it's the accent, maybe it's the cloak. She's kinda cute in a dangerously psychotic way.

<Rauri> Turn on Alice
<Rauri> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 5+2 = 7

Rushing in while she's stunned, everyone else is arrayed around somebody and it's... Sam. Yup, finally able to see her, and it's one of my bunkmates and she's not pleased. Hahaha, I gotta admit, we are scaring the crap out of Samantha. This boatshed's run down and old enough to be creepy already, but add in a dozen kids in weirdo cloaks (yup mine's on, don't want to ruin the effect they're going for) and it's a pretty valid reason to be frightened. Uh, speaking of... this is a little menacing. Too menacing, the scare's over and now it's just mean - and not even the funny mean!

"Somebody's gotta say it," I pipe up from the back. "You can run," I stress the gently caress out of that, listen to me you big dumb idiot, "but you can't hide!" And I just might be trying to block the exit open for her...

Offering advice - it's running time now Sam. Ignore for a string on Kailey.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 18, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Harm: 1/4 | Experience: 3/5 | Gang: 6/6 | Conditions: Pervo, Running Scared

I burst into the clearly hard on Torli's heels and come to a halt, collapsing backwards to lay down on the grass and laugh. Once I laughed myself out and caught my breath -its hard keeping up with Torli and her massively long legs- I push myself half upright and grin at her. "Oh man, Mike is so screwed, did you see Big Ross was going after him?" That starts me laughing again for a little bit. He was good in a fight, but a big, bulky guy like him had no chance of outrunning Ross, not after we'd fought for a bit.

I slowly drop myself back down on the grass and let out a contended sigh. "Ah, just like being with one of the gang again." Oh, hmm. She said she wasn't one of my friends, hope she doesn't take that the wrong way. Or figure out that my friends aren't exactly... friends... anymore. I shift uncomfortably for a moment, then decide to plow on and hope she didn't notice anything, "should we try and do some of that scavenger hunt do you think?"

10:09:31 PM godfish megane, can I clear Owned for fighting Mike and getting him into trouble?
10:10:00 PM megane godfish, yeah, that sounds reasonable

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Harm: 0/4, XP: 2/5, Conditions: Trapped.

Oh god, oh god, is this some creepy cult that's going to sacrifice me or something?

[07:35] Ferrosol hold steady to hoodie cult
[07:35] Ferrosol !r 2d6-1
[07:35] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 6-1 = 5

I can feel my mind whirling, thinking, plotting. I have to get out of here. I have to run hide and they're not going to get in my way. I eye one of the cultists the one who thought they were being clever and charge right at them. They're not going to take me down without a fight!

[07:42] Ferrosol lashing out at "cultist"
[07:43] Ferrosol !r 2d6+2
[07:43] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 7+2 = 9
They gain 1 String on you

I slammed into her, hard. Shoulder first, and knocked her flat on her rear end. "Right who's next?" I try to say defiantly although my voice comes out more squeaky and frightened than I'd like. Good they're all starting to back off a bit. I glanced down at the cultist I floored whose hood had rode back down. Wait, is that Kailey? She's the last person I'd expect to be a cultist! What's going on here? "Kailey, what are you doing here?"

taking that string for beating her up instead

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Harm: 1/4 XP: 4/5 Conditions: Gratuitous

Owwwww! Oh c'mon, I was just trying to help you! Sending both hands to grab my butt to check from damage, I'm somehow even less invested in stopping Samantha from escaping than I had been!

What am I doing here? Is she insane? Isn't it obvious? "What am I doing here? Uhh, wearing this kickass cloak and chipping my tailbone, probably." It really smarts by the way!

"Gonna do that like... eight more times?" I inquire, pointing out the obvious flaw in her plan. Since she's looking at me though, I'm sure she can see that I'm actually kinda hurt. I was legitimately trying to help her!

<Rauri> shut down Samantha
<Rauri> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 7 = 7
Giving Samantha condition Foolish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Harm: 0/4, XP: 2/5, Conditions: Trapped, Foolish,

"This better not be another one of your stupid jokes." I half growl half glare at her. Still she does have a point, one or two I could take. Maybe even three or four at a pinch. But eight of them? and they've got me surrounded with no way out of here.

giving Kailey the condition Not Funny

I'm not getting out am I at least not fighting my way out. I feel my shoulders slump in defeat, "What-- what do you even want with me?" I can hear my voice quiver. Dammit. I shouldn't be this scared. But I'm not used to being the centre of attention like this.

08:26] Ferrosol tell me the details of your evil plot (manip)
[08:26] Ferrosol !r 2d6-1
[08:26] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 10-1 = 9
what do I have to do to get them to explain what's going on?

• Locked thread