Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
general chaos
May 20, 2001
Feel bad for missing the $80 deal. Surprised I didn't see it on Slickdeals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A new version of Firestarter has been released.

quote:

Big update for FireStarter. I have still no own FireTV2 with the real FireOS5 but there is one on the way to me. ;) For now I tried to work with the Develooper Preview of FireOS5 on my FireTV-Stick. I optimized the ADB-Observation and created as an alternative a completely new non-ADB home-button detection with some disadvantages. Please read the changelog carefully and let me know if the features are working as described on your FireTVs, FireTV-Sticks and FireTV2s :)

FireStarter v3

- Optimized ADB connection mechansims for FireOS5. Should now work without disable + enable ADB after reboots. Still no parallel ADB connections possible.
- Added shortcut to ADB settings in FireStarter settings.
- Added first try of completely new detecting home-button clicks without adb (which is also used as Fallback after 3 failed ADB connects). The new non-ADB observation of the home-button works only if you are on the original Amazon FireTV Home screen. This means if you are in any other App like Kodi, you have to click the home button once to get to the Amazon FireTV Home screen and then you can single or double click the home-button to perform the action desired. In practice that means, you can also add one home button click if you are in another app. If you are for example in Kodi, you can do a double-click to the home-button to perform the single click operation and according to this you can do a triple click to perform the double click action. Sorry for this strange behaviour but due to technical limitations of Android, there is no other possibility without ADB at the moment.
- Removed restart-option and replaced it with notification how to restart with the remote.
- Better handling of the jumback-detection -> fixes some unnessecary jumpbacks especially when the click-action is "- No Action -" or "FireTV Home". You can again safely use the jumpback detection (e.g. with default of 5000ms)!
- Option to start click-action apps with FLAG_ACTIVITY_CLEAR_TASK -> Previous instances of the App are cleared before start (e.g. FireStarter then starts always on the first icon which is useful for some people with programmable remote's).
- Everything only tested with FireOS4 on FireTV and with FireOS5 Developer Preview on FireTV-Stick. I am not yet able to test on a FireTV2 with the real FireOS5.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=63207099&postcount=233

And the Tivo app was released.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0160MG4WY

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 9, 2015

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
After trying different things people have suggested elsewhere, like resetting to factory defaults, use wifi before using ethernet, I've given up. Called Amazon to get a replacement. Told the rep about mine locking up, freezing, etc.

They researched the issue for 5-10 minutes, told me that it's been a problem. They're sending a new one out, and hopefully the new one will make my fire tv dreams come true.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$25 off the new Fire TV at Staples.

http://www.aftvnews.com/2nd-gen-fire-tv-or-gaming-edition-are-25-off-at-staples-with-printable-coupon/

Fourteen
Aug 15, 2002

No, no, no you imbecile! That's not talc, that's paprika!
Well I have to say, it was pretty easy to get the new FTV up and running with Kodi following the guides at aftvnews.com. The only slight bummer is there's currently no way to put a Kodi shortcut on the home screen. Hoping someone figures out a way, but for now, the new Firestarter app allows you to configure double-clicking the home button to launch anything you want so I just set it to Kodi.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This is interesting.

quote:

All employees in Amazon’s hardware division are being asked to take a new Fire TV home and participate in software testing and reporting. I’m told there are currently about 500 people in this pool of Fire TV testers. Each one is given nightly tasks to test new software and is reporting their findings back to the Fire TV team the following day.

An entire team of people are solely working on making sure the new wifi based remote, which has been plagued with disconnection issues, is rock solid in the upcoming version 5.0.3 software release. Other bugs, I’m told, that are being worked on are low volume issues and surround sound fixes.

(...)

New Fire TV owners should expect to see numerous software updates in the coming weeks. Amazon has set an official deadline of November 30th for the remaining Dolby Digital support, but I’m told to expect the new Fire TV to return back in stock before then.

The new Fire TV’s amiss release stemmed from a change in directors at Amazon which resulted in an abbreviated schedule and a relaxation of quality standards. I’m told that there aren’t any hardware issues with the new device, and that the Fire TV team is completely confident and committed to fixing all the software issues and delivering a product they will be proud of.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-is-diverting-all-new-fire-tv-stock-to-massive-internal-testing-pool-for-bug-fixing-effort/

Hopefully the wifi remote will get some major improvements. I tried a family member's and it's way behind the bluetooth remote from the first generation. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the lag complaints in early reviews were actually remote issues from it being so non-responsive. Strangely the wifi controller works perfectly.

In app news, Firestarter's up to v3.1.1 and Shantae & the Pirate's Curse, Final Fantasy III/IV, Jackbox 2 & Minecraft: Story Mode have been released. The current rumor is if you buy something from Amazon through the Amazon Android app, they'll give you $25 in appstore credit.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 20, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
UK Sideloading quetison;

How's Now TV on the Fire TV? Is it worth the massive hassle I'm having trying to get the APK?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ConanThe3rd posted:

UK Sideloading quetison;

How's Now TV on the Fire TV? Is it worth the massive hassle I'm having trying to get the APK?

If you have an Android phone or tablet, you should be able to transfer the APK with AGK Fire

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-sideload-apps-onto-an-amazon-fire-tv-or-fire-tv-stick-using-an-android-phone-or-tablet/

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just did it and they block it on an app level.

Immediately cancelled my now tv account. gently caress them.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Interesting article on the delay of the shopping feature.

quote:

The Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick have had the ability to shop Amazon.com products for some time, but the feature has been sitting dormant. A trusted source within Amazon, who wishes to remain anonymous, tells me a full-fledged shopping feature was nearly complete and ready to be tested in the wild, but Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos pulled the feature after receiving a demo. His biggest complaint was the limited shopping cart functionality. The Fire TV shopping feature demoed to Bezos allowed customers to either buy products immediately via Amazon’s 1-Click feature or add items to your Amazon shopping cart to then be purchased later through the Amazon.com website. Bezos insisted on the ability to manage your shopping cart and checkout on the Fire TV itself, so the shopping feature has been postponed. I’m told it’s not uncommon for a team within Amazon to work on something, get it mostly done, and then have the feature/project pulled or cancelled by Bezos. While the Fire TV’s full-fledged shopping feature likely won’t be released in time for the upcoming holiday shopping season, Amazon has started using parts of the shopping feature to allow Fire TV owners to buy select products through banner ads on the Fire TV’s home screen.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-shopping-partially-available-on-fire-tv-with-full-shopping-feature-postponed/

I guess that describes the end game of the Fire TV outside of making Amazon services more accessible. A shopping box for grandma complete with a (also rumored to be in the works) 24 hour live shopping network.

And firmware 5.0.3 should be very coming soon if the reports on XDA are true.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You know, they should add the ability to pair a bluetooth speaker to the FireTV so you can use Alexa and the voice remote even if you aren't on the FireTV input for your TV/Receiver.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

bull3964 posted:

You know, they should add the ability to pair a bluetooth speaker to the FireTV so you can use Alexa and the voice remote even if you aren't on the FireTV input for your TV/Receiver.

They want you to buy an Echo though.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

They want you to buy an Echo though.

I have an Echo. All it makes me want to do is get Alexa in more rooms.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't add a speaker to the new remote for Alexa responses only.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Call Me Charlie posted:

I have an Echo. All it makes me want to do is get Alexa in more rooms.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't add a speaker to the new remote for Alexa responses only.

I'm surprised that Amazon doesn't have a way to extend the Echo to other rooms. Surely they don't expect you to buy multiple Echos. Maybe they'll do it your way for the third gen Fire TVs.

The Dude
Nov 18, 2000
Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm surprised that Amazon doesn't have a way to extend the Echo to other rooms. Surely they don't expect you to buy multiple Echos. Maybe they'll do it your way for the third gen Fire TVs.

Their launch commercial made it seem as though there was one in every room. If I could get another one for $99 I think I would. For the current price I think it needs better audio quality. What I'd also like is to be able to use Echo to control other devices from elsewhere in the house so that when I move between rooms the music or show I want is already queued up at my destination.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The Dude posted:

Their launch commercial made it seem as though there was one in every room. If I could get another one for $99 I think I would. For the current price I think it needs better audio quality. What I'd also like is to be able to use Echo to control other devices from elsewhere in the house so that when I move between rooms the music or show I want is already queued up at my destination.

That was one of the first things I requested. It makes no sense that I can't start music in my kitchen and move it to my Fire TV or vise versa.

Considering that Alexa on the Fire OS 5 is slated to get the ability to open apps, it would be awesome if I issue remote commands from a different device (or even from the Echo app/website)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I know there's some Final Fantasy fans in here.

quote:

Square Enix, creators of the award winning Final Fantasy role-playing game series, will be sequentially discounting the four Final Fantasy games available for the Fire TV. Starting today with Final Fantasy III, each week a different Final Fantasy game will be reduced from its regular price of $15.99 to $7.99. When one sale ends, the next game in the series will then go on sale. All games are compatible with both the 1st and 2nd-gen Fire TV. The exact sale dates will be as follows:

Final Fantasy III on sale from Oct. 29 – Nov. 5, 2015
Final Fantasy IV on sale from Nov. 5 – Nov. 12, 2015
Final Fantasy V on sale from Nov. 12 – Nov. 19, 2015
Final Fantasy VI on sale from Nov. 19 – Nov. 26, 2015

Final Fantasy III is currently $7.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...HG2YNR4N46VQLH3

And another firmware update is on the way.

quote:

Amazon will start pushing out another software update to 2nd generation Fire TVs in the next few days. This new update comes just a week after the last one began rolling out and carries version number 5.0.3.1_user_534011720. Don’t worry if your Fire TV hasn’t received software version 5.0.3 yet. Even though Amazon has switched to incremental updates, it’s fine if your Fire TV skips straight to version 5.0.3.1.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
X-Ray is a really cool feature, but I'm ready to give up on the new Amazon TV. The apps perform way worse than their equivalent on my 2013 Samsung smart TV. Hulu is the worst culprit. We always start out watching things on the Amazon TV and end up having to switch because of weird volume issues or buffering.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Plex app is barely serviceable compared to it's counterpart on other OS'. Constant studdering, and depending on the movie, I have to constantly switch between the regular and experimental players in the options. Some will not have any sound, so I have to switch. Others will studder like crazy, so I have to switch.

The app on my iPad is silky smooth and never has any issues playing anything. I'm desperately waiting for a new/faster Stick, or I may just pull the trigger on one of the new ATVs.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Yep. I experience the same with the stick. Even bought a new wireless AP to try to mitigate it. Glad to know it's not just me.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The Plex app is barely serviceable compared to it's counterpart on other OS'. Constant studdering, and depending on the movie, I have to constantly switch between the regular and experimental players in the options. Some will not have any sound, so I have to switch. Others will studder like crazy, so I have to switch.

The app on my iPad is silky smooth and never has any issues playing anything. I'm desperately waiting for a new/faster Stick, or I may just pull the trigger on one of the new ATVs.

Plex app on Fire TV has an extremely limited amount of codecs so it has to transcode most things. You'd be way better off giving PleXBMC a try (but be sure to turn off MediaCodec under Hardware Acceleration in Kodi)

Or you could give Emby a try https://emby.media/

Droid Washington posted:

X-Ray is a really cool feature, but I'm ready to give up on the new Amazon TV. The apps perform way worse than their equivalent on my 2013 Samsung smart TV. Hulu is the worst culprit. We always start out watching things on the Amazon TV and end up having to switch because of weird volume issues or buffering.

It's Android so try clearing the cache. I heard that clears up some of the issues in Hulu, at least temporarily.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 29, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, but the transcoding is done on my Plex Server, right? The Stick isn't actually doing anything. My PC is definitely sufficient for the heavy-lifting.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Call Me Charlie posted:

And another firmware update is on the way.

Yup, and they broke HDMI stuff again, so I'm constantly resetting my Fire TV. Ugh! This is with a Samsung TV (i.e. name brand) bought from Amazon, even.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah, but the transcoding is done on my Plex Server, right? The Stick isn't actually doing anything. My PC is definitely sufficient for the heavy-lifting.

Beyond the potential problem of your computer not transcoding fast enough, you could expand the cache in Kodi which could potentially smooth out playback. Direct play was always more stable for me than transcoding.

Hadlock posted:

Yup, and they broke HDMI stuff again, so I'm constantly resetting my Fire TV. Ugh! This is with a Samsung TV (i.e. name brand) bought from Amazon, even.

What issue is that? Some type of handshake issue?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Has anybody had issues with the bluetooth controller staying paired with the Fire TV? Ours was rock solid until this week, and all of a sudden the remote wouldn't respond. I thought it might be dead batteries, so I swapped them out and have only successfully been able to pair the remote once since then and it promptly stopped working again hours later. I'm kind of at a loss on this, but thought I would ask here, before contacting Amazon.

Tantalus
Feb 11, 2004

Falco posted:

Has anybody had issues with the bluetooth controller staying paired with the Fire TV? Ours was rock solid until this week, and all of a sudden the remote wouldn't respond. I thought it might be dead batteries, so I swapped them out and have only successfully been able to pair the remote once since then and it promptly stopped working again hours later. I'm kind of at a loss on this, but thought I would ask here, before contacting Amazon.

I'm having a similar issue with mine, but I haven't had time to troubleshoot other than swapping batteries. Please update if you find an answer.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Tantalus posted:

I'm having a similar issue with mine, but I haven't had time to troubleshoot other than swapping batteries. Please update if you find an answer.

I've been fighting with it all week, and the moment I got on the phone with someone from Amazon, it started working. I'm not sure what the final trick was, but I restarted the Fire TV and while it was restarting I put new batteries in and then held the home button. Otherwise, i've been using my phone as a controller using the app. Hopefully this helps you, I'm still not sure what the final answer was.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So is it at all possible to get Google Movies on the Fire TV?

And I don't want to go dig up my Chromecast, and there's no way possible to get Amazon Prime on that.

So really the only advantage this thing has over say, a Roku which I could also afford, is that I can sideload Kodi, which stutters on some files, and Plex stutters on others. And this was to replace my old as poo poo WDTV, which still works every time and plays every file no matter what.

So why do I have anything really?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What files are you getting stutter on? I've fed a couple of 15+ GB files through Kodi on my first gen FireTV without issue.

Is it stutter, or buffering issues you're having?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

IMO, Roku may as well not have Google Play movies since the audio is 2 channel PCM.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Hadlock posted:

What files are you getting stutter on? I've fed a couple of 15+ GB files through Kodi on my first gen FireTV without issue.

Is it stutter, or buffering issues you're having?

Sometimes on certain probably poorly encoded files it buffers. Hard line ethernet. And audio can at times not be 5.1 when it should be 5.1. I might get surround channels only. Or I might be confusing this with Plex. The old WDTV, despite being extremely bad at interfaces and streaming internet stuff, just played files with no issues.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If it's a buffering issue, set the buffer size from 20MB to 900MB and the problem will dissapear. You have to ADB Push a tiny XML file to the FireTV with the new buffer value, it is pretty painless. That fixed my buffer issues even over wifi.

edit: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache

this is the contents of my advancedsettings.xml

code:
<advancedsettings>
  <network>
    <!--- The three settings will go in this space, between the two network tags. --->
	<buffermode>1</buffermode>
	<cachemembuffersize>354857600</cachemembuffersize>
	<readbufferfactor>5</readbufferfactor>
  </network>
</advancedsettings>
No idea on the audio, I'm an audio luddite running a 2.1 soundbar solution

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 1, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Is Hulu on the FireTV known to be universally lovely or something? My wife has apparently been having tons and tons of problems with it on the FireTV, so I dig up my old Xbox 360 from the garage and hook it up and it works like a champ, same wifi network, etc.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Maneki Neko posted:

Is Hulu on the FireTV known to be universally lovely or something? My wife has apparently been having tons and tons of problems with it on the FireTV, so I dig up my old Xbox 360 from the garage and hook it up and it works like a champ, same wifi network, etc.

Stick? yes. We switched to no ads and it resolved a lot of our issues with it though. it's actually usable now.

Tantalus
Feb 11, 2004

Falco posted:

I've been fighting with it all week, and the moment I got on the phone with someone from Amazon, it started working. I'm not sure what the final trick was, but I restarted the Fire TV and while it was restarting I put new batteries in and then held the home button. Otherwise, i've been using my phone as a controller using the app. Hopefully this helps you, I'm still not sure what the final answer was.

Still going strong? I just moved into a new place and as soon as I can find mine in all the boxes I'll test it out.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Tantalus posted:

Still going strong? I just moved into a new place and as soon as I can find mine in all the boxes I'll test it out.

Yup like a charm. Good luck with yours, I hope it's just as simple.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
UFC finally released their app.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0175YDUL4/

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

Yes, Hulu is really bad on FireTV.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Had no idea they offered this, I'm pumped. Very consumer friendly of them to do this. Any issues with blackouts or the like with NFL/NHL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Gyshall posted:

Had no idea they offered this, I'm pumped. Very consumer friendly of them to do this. Any issues with blackouts or the like with NFL/NHL?

Not that consumer friendly but it's something. Seems like most of the blackouts happen in other countries like Brazil.

http://www.ufc.com/faq-ufctv-ufcfightpass

• Locked thread