Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

There is a rumor that Sunderland are in for Pato. If that comes to fruition then definitely him vs Falcao.

Also I am excited about this season. It HAS to be better than the last one. Also we have an actual striker :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Psybro posted:

The game where him and Adebayor absolutely destroyed the Scousers and still contrived to miss like 5 open goals was one of the best comedy games of all time.

Arsenal always had our number.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

gently caress didn't realise I had to wait until Sunday to watch Stoke batter us again

If you're not booming before the season actually starts you're doing it wrong.

I'm pretty optimistic tbh. Stoke won't have N'Zonzi and Begovic who have been great against us and supposedly Shawcross is injured too. Plus we had nothing really to play for last time and you could tell the players were just mentally spent.

We should be a lot more balanced this season and in Milner and Henderson we have a ton of energy that should hopefully mean we don't get overwhelmed like we did last season with a legless Gerrard. Also having a right back that can defend and an actual real life striker should help.

So with that I'm predicting a 1-1 draw. Booming!

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

straight up brolic posted:

None of them will be starting, right? Everything I've read is that Hughes will probably go Walters, Mame, Arnie (if fit)

I loving hate Walters. He's exactly the kind of player that we always struggle with. Also he looks like he's be a right oval office.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

Milner has been appointed Liverpool vice-captain

Yep, smart move. Not that it means much.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Someone do a matchday thread.

Also looks like Johnstone is going to be the starting keeper for United with Blind and Smalling at centre back. Have to say, for a club that's spent such an insane amount of money there are some serious weaknesses in that squad.

I'm picking a high scoring draw.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I can't wait for another season of United being incredibly poo poo but still winning because they spent a billion dollars

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Chelsea are appealing the red. Seemed pretty clear cut to me and I would be susprised if it was rescinded.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I like how when Mourinho says something retarded everyone is like 'he's just taking the heat off the players' when it's clearly obvious he's an egotistical oval office who is trying to blame everyone else but himself.

Has there ever been a more perfect manager for a club?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

He's an egotistical oval office but it's not a mistake that he's always in the news after one of his team's poo poo the bed. Same as Ferguson. At least it's better than the poo poo Rodgers vomits after any match.

Rodgers says some pretty cringe worthy poo poo at times but he's always positive and I don't think I've really heard him complain about other players or referees. It's pretty sad that he's considered worse than Ferguson and Mourinho in terms of what he says.

I loving hate Sam Allardyce but him laughing at Mourinho was the best and I wish more managers wound him up more.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Brony Car posted:

You don't remember when Rodgers blamed a loss against City on a manager being from the Manchester area?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/09/liverpool-brendan-rodgers-fined-for-referee-comments

Rodgers is no better or worse than any other of the self-assured egomaniacs who have clawed their way to a football management position. He can show he's worth canonization by winning things.

Urgh that's right.

He's better than most in that regard though. I don't know, I like Brendan, he thinks he's far more interesting than he is and likes the sound of his own voice but I like his optimism and he strikes me as a nice guy.

Maybe you need to be a oval office to be a great manager though.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

stickyfngrdboy posted:

You think this only because you support the club he manages. Were you looking at it objectively you'd realise he's an arrogant, talentless, prick.

When he was Swansea manager he was pretty popular on here. Once he came to Liverpool he was suddenly a joke.

He does so retarded poo poo though but it's more 'false 7's' and 'double pivots' than being a complete oval office.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Akileese posted:

He had some person issue a statement saying it was because the players don't want to be around a woman and not because of her getting called onto the pitch by Michael Oliver. He's melting down.

He could poo poo on the Chelsea shirt and their supporters would still idolize him. He thinks he's bigger than the club and they treat him like he is.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

hadji murad posted:

s ince everyone is throwing around conjecture one is that he's pissed off at the way Costa's injury has been handled by the medical team

Given last season where Chelsea had very little injury issues you'd think Mourinho would cut them some slack if that was true.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

sassassin posted:

At Swansea he was just Eddie Howe but not incredibly bland and boring. Brought a small club up, likely to drop right back down. You get a lot of goodwill that way.

No one paid enough attention to realise he'd just blagged his way into the Premier League by adding Chelsea youth players to the Jackett/Martinez/Sousa/Jenkins system. He was a right weirdo even back then. Bang average managerial career with good connections.

He's bought into the "Liverpool is a special club" party line 100% because it matches his ego. He'd never be able to admit he was their second choice.

Or that his son is a rapist.

I think that's awfully revisionist. I think he did pretty well for you guys and obviously had some ability as a manager. I'm under no illusions that Suarez was the main reason for us coming so close to the title the season before last but Rodgers did exceptionally well bringing in youth that season (and continues to do so) as well as getting the best out of players that had been inconsistent (Sturridge and Coutinho for example). He's got blind spots but he does seem to learn from mistakes and he doesn't persevere with poo poo players because he was the one that bought them.

I don't know if he's the manager to bring trophies to Liverpool again (I'd wager not) but I do think he gets a pretty raw deal because he talks like an idiot on ocassion.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

The Big Taff Man posted:

I havent seen the press conference but given that Mata played his best football last season on the right and is actually allowed to roam inside often idk why you would be asking for him to play number 10. People keep talking about Januzaj as a winger but he's actually been really effective for the reserves in both the number 10 and as a central striker, its only in the first team that he's only played on the wing.

And LVG is always prickly in press conferences.

I would have thought it more to do with freeing up Depay out wide.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Envelopes for everyone!

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Dean Ashton was better.

Andy Carroll is quite good and it would have been interesting to see how he had progressed if he could have stayed fit under a manager like Allardyce that played to his strengths.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Spangly A posted:

Allardyce wasnt actually any good with Carroll, he's had three good games in two years. All against Swansea.

He has barely played though right?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

His technique in the air is so so good.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Bobby Digital posted:

He just needs to change his number to 36 and then he'll be great.

Nice name and post combo.

36 Chambers can play infront of Inspectah Cech

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

TheBigAristotle posted:

Fellaini has said in the past that his preferred position is shielding the back four, but he sorta sucks at it. He is, however, good at standing up front, chesting down long balls and oh god here comes another 4th place squeaker season

Yeah he's way better further forward. In saying that, if United are relying on him to keep them in the top four or progress in Europe they're in some trouble.

Also that gif will never not be funny

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Ozil was good at Bremen so that doesn't really hold up.

Ozil is shitter at Arsenal because Giroud plays with his back to goal and doesn't run the channels. Walcott has no football brain and has terrible movement off the ball. Sanchez knows what to do but when you have one player capable of it it's far easier to mark him.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

None of this discounts my statement that he's a better player with better players around him.

This is true of any player though

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

Brendan Rodgers has been found out big time.

I'm starting to come around to this idea.

Big meltdown post ahead...

- We have absolutely no idea how to attack a team that sits deep. This has been a problem at Liverpool for a long time and after about two minutes of yesterday's game you could see exactly what was going to happen. I understand why we kept the same defence that's looked decent enough in the first three games but given everyone knew how West Ham were going to play (hell, Bilic himself announced it) surely Rodgers could see that we'd struggle without any kind of width. Poor Joe Gomez was always offering self as an outlet but given he's a right footed centre back he was never going to be able to take on his player or hit the byline.

- Lovren is a massive clown. The second goal we conceded was entirely his fault and those step overs sums up his ability on the ball. If Sakho doesn't get into the team after that display I'll be really disappointed.

- Milner, Lucas and Can were very disappointing today. Lucas' positioning and work rate is and always has been good but those injuries took a toll on his body and it shows. He's too slow to turn when players run at him and he lacks the speed to catch up. When you combine him with Can, who is also slow off the mark, you're asking for trouble. Milner was trying to make things happen but he seemed reluctant to make runs in behind even when we were 0-2 down and desperately chasing the game. Henderson is not the perfect midfielder by any means but he's a great athlete and his willingness to get forward was sorely missed.

- I have never seen a collection of such terrible crosses. Not a single one was weighted right. Benteke did what he could but that was some of the most shocking service I've seen in my life. S'Land level of service.

- Firmino looks like he'll be a decent player for us (as he loving should be at that price) but too many times he took up the same area of the pitch as Coutinho did. He needs pull defenders away from Coutinho and create space. In fact our whole team needs to work on movement off the ball.

- That ref was an absolute loving joke. Coutinho's second yellow was harsh I thought but I can at least understand it. Noble's one was absolutely retarded and if it's not rescinded I'll be amazed. The amount of holding the West Ham defenders did on Benteke was ridiculous but they did it subtly enough that it was never called. Given Martin 'Handsy' Skrtel plays for us I'm not going to complain too much though.

- West Ham absolutely deserved their win and played the perfect game against us. Winston Reid is extremely good and I'm surprised the bigger sides haven't come in for him. Kouyate is also a really good player and I would love us to have a physical presence like that in front of our defence.

- We need to figure out very quickly how to play against teams that sit deep as almost every team will come to Anfield and try to do the same thing.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Ewar Woowar posted:

I'm starting to come around to this idea.

Big meltdown post ahead...

- We have absolutely no idea how to attack a team that sits deep. This has been a problem at Liverpool for a long time and after about two minutes of yesterday's game you could see exactly what was going to happen. I understand why we kept the same defence that's looked decent enough in the first three games but given everyone knew how West Ham were going to play (hell, Bilic himself announced it) surely Rodgers could see that we'd struggle without any kind of width. Poor Joe Gomez was always offering self as an outlet but given he's a right footed centre back he was never going to be able to take on his player or hit the byline.

- Lovren is a massive clown. The second goal we conceded was entirely his fault and those step overs sums up his ability on the ball. If Sakho doesn't get into the team after that display I'll be really disappointed.

- Milner, Lucas and Can were very disappointing today. Lucas' positioning and work rate is and always has been good but those injuries took a toll on his body and it shows. He's too slow to turn when players run at him and he lacks the speed to catch up. When you combine him with Can, who is also slow off the mark, you're asking for trouble. Milner was trying to make things happen but he seemed reluctant to make runs in behind even when we were 0-2 down and desperately chasing the game. Henderson is not the perfect midfielder by any means but he's a great athlete and his willingness to get forward was sorely missed.

- I have never seen a collection of such terrible crosses. Not a single one was weighted right. Benteke did what he could but that was some of the most shocking service I've seen in my life. S'Land level of service.

- Firmino looks like he'll be a decent player for us (as he loving should be at that price) but too many times he took up the same area of the pitch as Coutinho did. He needs pull defenders away from Coutinho and create space. In fact our whole team needs to work on movement off the ball.

- That ref was an absolute loving joke. Coutinho's second yellow was harsh I thought but I can at least understand it. Noble's one was absolutely retarded and if it's not rescinded I'll be amazed. The amount of holding the West Ham defenders did on Benteke was ridiculous but they did it subtly enough that it was never called. Given Martin 'Handsy' Skrtel plays for us I'm not going to complain too much though.

- West Ham absolutely deserved their win and played the perfect game against us. Winston Reid is extremely good and I'm surprised the bigger sides haven't come in for him. Kouyate is also a really good player and I would love us to have a physical presence like that in front of our defence.

- We need to figure out very quickly how to play against teams that sit deep as almost every team will come to Anfield and try to do the same thing.

Nice meltdown

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

not not luvd posted:

imagine a manager so bad youd rather have hodgson

Lol lets not get carried away here.

I think Rodgers probably deserved another chance this season but it will be his last if it isn't a productive one. The team is actually not in that bad a shape at the moment so it really is on him this season to perform.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Fowler said on Twitter it might be the worst performance he's seen.

Bitch it might be

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

They're in denial.

Which, unlike the Mersey, isn't a river in Liverpool.

BORO BANTZ

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Yeah we seem to be getting it worse than Chelsea but we've had a better start with a worse squad.

Mourinho sides are never sustainable. He doesn't know how to integrate youth at all and buys for the now as opposed to the future. Don't let all the loan players fool you- they're bought to make money, not to play for Chelsea. He also doesn't rotate his squad a whole lot so it wouldn't surprise me if a few of those players are actually burnt out. Ivanovic especially looks like he needs a long break.

I'm very much hoping Chelsea continue to struggle as I'm interested who Mourinho will blame next.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

If you said at the start of the season we would have 7 points from the first 12 I would say wins against Bournemouth and West Ham and a draw away at Stoke would be about right. Unfortunately getting battered by West Ham at home as taken all the enthusiasm out of things. The only positive is that we're on the same points as Arsenal and (currently) United, so at least we're in the right areas.

My biggest issue with the West Ham game is we still clearly have no idea how to attack a team sitting so deep. It also means every other team will come and do the same thing to us because they can rely on the fact that one of our defenders will poo poo themselves.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

It all evens out my friend.

They weren't even sitting that deep, they were just compact. The absolute worst moment I can remember was a corner late in the first half, all the big boys come into the penalty area, and Milner plays a loving short corner and we lose possession.

Did you see the crosses we put in? Honestly I would expect better from my Sunday league team. It was ridiculous.

Losing Coutinho against United is terrible but at least we'll actually have some space to attack. I'd like to see us play with two up front and Firmino in behind. I actually thought Ings was good when he came on- he at least looked like he was trying to make something happen

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

Same, but then that would mean the full backs would have to provide width, which means the centre backs would split, and Lovren (because you know he will play) is absolutely shocking whenever that happens.

Sakho has got to play. Even Gomez and Skrtel would be a step up.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

I can't remember if we even still have an EMNT thread but seeing as every player is in the Premier League (/Championship) here's the squad:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Jack Butland (Stoke City), Tom Heaton (Burnley).

Defenders: Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Phil Jagielka (Everton).

Midfielders: Michael Carrick (Manchester United), James Milner (Liverpool), Ross Barkley (Everton), Jonjo Shelvey (Swansea City), Ryan Mason (Tottenham Hotspur), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Fabian Delph (Manchester City).

Forwards: Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Theo Walcott (Arsenal).

Delph is probably the only player you can say shouldn't be there, as he's barely played this season, but at least loving Andros Townsend won't be playing.

That's pretty depressing reading. Not a single player would make the Spanish or German sides imo.

Smalling, Clyne and I guess Joe Hart are the only ones on any kind of decent form too.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

chuggo is BACK posted:

ah yeah that's true. if you dropped Rooney (lol) and got a proper manager England could field a good high pressing team

Lol Hodgson is never dropping Rooney.

But yeah, that's what England should do. They don't have the talent but there's a lot of workers in that side.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

FullLeatherJacket posted:

as always, rooney may be gash now, but literally deciding that it'd be a better idea to play like greece and put jamie vardy up front is the team america secret signal of football tactics

not to mention the press and all the dads 'n lads at wembley booing and chimping out every time someone plays a cautious pass to keep possession instead of bombing on and smashing it over from thirty yards

Rooney has done nothing to warrant starting but it's not like anyone else is putting their hands up for a turn.

Hodgson is a bad manager but honestly, there is only so much you can do with that side.
Hart
Clyne-Cahill-Smalling-Shaw
Milner-Carrick
Sterling-Barkley/Shelvey/Ox-Walcott
Rooney

I assume that would be close to the best side there? Way too many inconsistent players and way too many players not in form.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I'd say Joe Cole being propped up as "the English Messi" and the man to win the 2010 World Cup based on ostensibly nothing except being mates with Stevie G and Frankie L was weirder

Mourinho ruined Joe Cole.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

sebzilla posted:

That one goal was pretty nice though.

He also did this on his Lille debut which was pretty nice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU-D_Sawqgc

I really liked Joe Cole even though he was painfully poo poo for us :unsmith:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Looking forward to playing United without Coutinho and Benteke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Breath Ray posted:

vic reeves voice: ibarbo

Lol

• Locked thread