Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
If you're gonna freeball in tight leather pants you better be drat sure you're paying your seamstress well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utz
Aug 1, 2008

by vyelkin

When i first saw this I thought he had suffered a prolapsed rectum onstage.

naem
May 29, 2011

shiksa posted:

its a shame he got the jewish side on that

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Robo Reagan posted:

this is the correct answer

that looks more like some kind of healing or buffer spell

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
shut up

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

im pooping! posted:

C) It is most likely invisible

I'm gonna go with invisible, also. magic doesn't have de facto sensory descriptions in dnd, but psionic powers do, with a secondary effect called display, with a small group of possible sensory effects that accompany them, and every psionic approximation of magic missile (energy missile, mind thrust, etc.) only has an auditory effect. admittedly this is conjecture but the real answer is probably something gay like "it's whatever it looks like in the collective imagination of the people you are playing with!"

az
Dec 2, 2005

pretty simple really

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Cubone posted:

I'm gonna go with invisible, also. magic doesn't have de facto sensory descriptions in dnd, but psionic powers do, with a secondary effect called display, with a small group of possible sensory effects that accompany them, and every psionic approximation of magic missile (energy missile, mind thrust, etc.) only has an auditory effect. admittedly this is conjecture but the real answer is probably something gay like "it's whatever it looks like in the collective imagination of the people you are playing with!"

That works better as an in-word explanation, imo. Maybe it has no definite, universal form but varies from person to person. It'd be shaped by the wizard to look like a potent and powerful symbol but the wizard's views on just what that is would be shaped by training and culture:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

How it looks in the Westwood classic Nox

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

hemophilia posted:

How it looks in the Westwood classic Nox

agreement

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I always imagined it as a black skull giving off smoke. Possibly a inhumanly small skull, like a baseball size.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Came hoping for stupid photoshops, but got an hilarious gif instead.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
his weener fell out

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Aesop Poprock posted:

that looks more like some kind of healing or buffer spell

you will learn.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Enfield posted:

his weener fell out

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I imagine it looks like a distortion in the air, like a localized heat shimmer. Maybe some kind of weak glow too.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

notZaar posted:

I imagine it looks like a distortion in the air, like a localized heat shimmer. Maybe some kind of weak glow too.

Also, it hurts like a motherfucker. 1d4+1 isn't a lot of D&D hitpoints, but it's like the same as getting loving knifed by a moderately strong assailant.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

az posted:

pretty simple really

deadly_pudding posted:

Also, it hurts like a motherfucker. 1d4+1 isn't a lot of D&D hitpoints, but it's like the same as getting loving knifed by a moderately strong assailant.

I'm not a mil-sperg, so I'm gonna have to guess here, is that an AIM-7? Radar guided, doesn't even have to hit the plane, just gets close enough then explodes into fragments, the archetype of an area weapon in 3D space. That thing will do a gently caress load more damage than a lovely magic missile. Put it this way, a magic missile has a fair chance of putting the family dog out of his misery, if the vet has already given him his nembutal that is, and it has a range of a few dozen yards. While the plane-missile has, by definition, a range beyond the visual horizon, and is designed to shred a Mig-23. You ever see a Mig-23 in flight? If you did, you wouldn't magic missile it, and you certainly wouldn't walk up to it with kind words and try and inject sleepydrugs into it to put it down like you would the family dog.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
its a eurofighter miskle

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

IronClaymore posted:

I'm not a mil-sperg, so I'm gonna have to guess here, is that an AIM-7? Radar guided, doesn't even have to hit the plane, just gets close enough then explodes into fragments, the archetype of an area weapon in 3D space. That thing will do a gently caress load more damage than a lovely magic missile. Put it this way, a magic missile has a fair chance of putting the family dog out of his misery, if the vet has already given him his nembutal that is, and it has a range of a few dozen yards. While the plane-missile has, by definition, a range beyond the visual horizon, and is designed to shred a Mig-23. You ever see a Mig-23 in flight? If you did, you wouldn't magic missile it, and you certainly wouldn't walk up to it with kind words and try and inject sleepydrugs into it to put it down like you would the family dog.

:stare:

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Enfield posted:

its a eurofighter miskle

is it effective at fighting other races or just euros

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
gimme a sidewinder any day over that crap so i can put it into my butt

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

is it effective at fighting other races or just euros

i dont think a payload makes those kind of distinctions despite what researching "interraicial payload" tells me

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_PVjTk4L_4

E: Whoops wrong one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55V6dzLjuos

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 5, 2015

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Enfield posted:

i dont think a payload makes those kind of distinctions despite what researching "interraicial payload" tells me

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

IronClaymore posted:

so your saying it's more of a Fireball spell?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Rutibex posted:

a fireball would probably be more like a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPO-A_Shmel_%28Bumblebee%29

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Rutibex posted:

A fireball on steroids maybe. Your basic fireball is fine against groups of soft targets. I mean it's a classic terrorist weapon, it kills people (the role of a killer) but doesn't defeat an enemy (the role of a soldier). According to various rulebooks, a fragmentation explosive does slashing damage, much better against objects and vehicles because it doesn't have to suffer half damage before applying hardness. A fireball specifically designed against aerial vehicles perhaps? Considering the damage it does, Meteor Swarm is probably more appropriate.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
actually mor elike https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM-94

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

IronClaymore posted:

finally someone has the BALLS to say what we've all been thinking

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Enfield posted:

its a eurofighter miskle

It's a French Magic R550

Pretty close to the AIM-9L

Thus, Magic Missile

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Booblord Zagats posted:

It's a French Magic R550

Pretty close to the AIM-9L

Thus, Magic Missile

:eyepop:

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Gobblecoque posted:

finally someone has the BALLS to say what we've all been thinking

ive been thinkin about balls

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Lucky Guy posted:

ive been thinkin about balls

drat now youve got me doing it

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Mange Mite posted:

drat now youve got me doing it

Please, we all think about balls 24/7.

Anyway, the missile is a Magic R550? That literally makes it a magic missile. And, you know, I often have to come up with dice numbers as a DM.

Spergy D&D numbers follow.
The R550 is meant to either destroy or at least cripple a fighter plane, which has, what, I'ma give it 50 hit points, why not. The Abrams tank has 62hp or something in that book I have, a plane gets close to that. 5 hardness because it's squishy aluminium. Say the missile has a 50% chance of doing at least 50% damage to the aircraft, enough to damage it severely enough to force it to return to base. So 25 hit points of damage as half of 50 is 25, add another 5 for hardness means the missile must do on average 30 damage (before hardness).

Using d6s and averaging, that's between 8-9 d6. Lets say 9d6. But gently caress just crippling a plane! The French made their missile to destroy the Soviet fighter, not simply force it to limp back to base on one-engine with honorable battle scars in its fusilage! Make it a nice round number, 10d6.

The French see your silly D&D magic missile of 1d4+1 and raise it to a full 10d6 area damage with 30 ft. radius. What are you gonna do? (Huh, it really is like a fireball, I see it now.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

They used Magic Missile to kill JFK.

• Locked thread