Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabiddeity
Jun 2, 2011
I was in Sendai studying abroad when this game came out. My friend came back from a downtown trip and said, "I saw advertisements for this crazy PS2 game on NHK. I got it for 2000 yen [about twenty bucks, an absurdly small amount of money], and now we have to play it." What he brought back to the dormitory was a brilliant work of deliberate Japanese absurdism. For something to trip our crazy-o-meters in Japan it had to have been WAY over the top, and references from Katamari quickly started infecting our fledgling expat student culture. I'm not really sure how to describe the experience of witnessing this game in the context of an American abroad in Japan. I guess it's something like watching the birth of an entire family of memes. It was weird, amazing, and awe-inspiring.

I assumed something so bizarre and Japanese would never make its way to the US. And then I came home, and within a few months it got a quiet release here, and the rest of you wonderful bastards got to experience all of its unadulterated, incomprehensible glory. When I raved at people and yelled at them to play this game, everyone looked at me like I'd grown a second head. It doesn't matter. I hope the twisted salaryman exec who greenlit this game for international release got a promotion and a big fat stack of cash, because the world needed to see it.

Also, the music is absolutely amazing and fits the game perfectly, and I will engage in fisticuffs anyone who disagrees with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread