Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Holy flying heelhooks, Batman! It's the GDT for UFC Fight Night 73, 10 p.m. ET Saturday, Aug. 8 on Fox Sports 1!

This card is a lot like the popular 1995 summer blockbuster Batman Forever. It's not the worst card you'll see, but it's still pretty rotten. And like the film's villains, each fight has a gimmick: either there's a 50/50 chance it's a great fight or a steaming turd, or it's a complete riddle as to why you're watching it at all.

Anyway, here we go.

Light Heavyweight

Glover Teixeira

vs.

Ovince Saint Preux

Glover Teixeira is in the worst spot of his very long and storied career. Whether it's because he happened to fight the two best opponents he's ever faced back to simply because he has a case of the Was Always Bads, is up to the eye of the beholder. People unironically tried to pass off a 35-year-old guy who used a right hand lead to cross counter to defeat Brazilian scrubs for decade due to visa issues before finally making it to the UFC as the most legitimate and dangerous striker Jon Jones has ever faced. That's not to say he isn't actually a legitimate or dangerous striker, of course. He'll come out aggressively looking to keep it standing and pulverize OSP at every chance.

OSP is a weird matchup for Glover right now actually, as he is on a two-fight winning streak. One was an almost immediate knockout of the Ghost of Shogun Rua for a $50,000 bonus check, and the other was a knockout after a competitive round against Top 10 Light Heavyweight Mixed Martial Artist Patrick Durkin Cummins. He wrestled in high school but played football in college, where his fraternity literally branded his flesh and he was OK with this. Football didn't work out so he went into the fight game, fighting constantly and going on intermittent runs against nobodies and losing to the Baders and Mousasis of the world.

BATMAN VILLAIN VERDICT: coin-toss
Teixeira forces a brawl at close range and does huge damage, or OSP controls the pace with speed and athleticism when Teixeira realizes he's in his mid-30s and uses a pigeon-holed fighting strategy.

Lightweight

Michael Johnson

vs.

Beneil Dariush
This fight is reasonably compelling. Michael Johnson was very much a hit-or-miss fighter for most of his career, losing to people like Jonathan Brookins but beating Tony Ferguson and Joe Lauzon very badly while actually putting away durable jounreyman Gleison Tibau. His speed, power and striking technique on their own are not quite outstanding enough to inspire long, rambling blog posts overraught with metaphor by British autists, but all together they make the perfect storm of an incredibly competent and dangerous fighter. He went away for about a year because he contracted Hit Your Girlfriend Disease while at Blackzilians, but then he came back and beat Edson Barboza in a competitive standing battle. It's PROBABLY safe to assume that he has worked out the inconsistencies now, but we'll see.

Beneil Dariush kinda snuck up on us. In his UFC debut, he submitted Charlie Brenneman, which like. Big deal, you're supposed to do that. Then he got TKOd by Ramsey Nijem, which you're NOT supposed to do. He put away a few competent mid-level fighters like Tony Martin and Daron Cruickshank, but then completely outgrappled Jim Miller in what was probably the standout performance of his career (and one of Jim's most grandfatherly.) If he can beat Johnson decisively I'd expect a top 10 fight in his near future.

While I'm more confident in this one being good than my admittedly biased view of Teixeira vs. OSP, there is still enough possibility that Johnson's going to turn a corner and underperform or Dariush is going to fail to impress against better, younger competition. Less of a coin toss and more of a dice roll, I guess.

Middleweight

Derek Brunson

vs.

Sam Alvey

What if you took the fight fan's mental stereotype of GSP, replaced the walnuts in the condom with farts and put enough finishes on his record to fool you into thinking something exciting was going to happen every time? You have Derek Brunson. And you can have him. I don't want him. Please, take him. In his UFC career he put away Brian “Who” Houston and the dusty enraged revenant that is Ed Herman, but anyone 2012 Chris Leben or better he's fought he has had boring decisions or gotten hosed up terribly.

Smile'n Sam owns. He met his model cornerman/wife at a Ren Faire. He spells his nickname completely incorrectly and I think he knows it. He calls out Hair Matches in a real sport. He goes to foreign countries, calls out their hometown hero and fucks them up hilariously, and in the case of Australia he even gets people to cheer and chant along with him after the fact. He also lost to Joey Rivera on TUF and Tom Watson in the actual UFC, so I am very nervous about him fighting Brunson.

Smile'n Sam is going to earn his fourth cool finish in a row or he is going to spend 15 minutes on his back while Brunson works up a cold sweat by exerting no discernable effort.

Heavyweight

Jared Rosholt

vs.

Timothy Johnson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P__gZy8Svc

BATMAN VILLAIN VERDICT: riddle
Why is this on the main card, why are so many people going to watch one of the only heavyweights reliably capable of earning a boring decision every time? My life is so full of questions and there are no answers in sight.

Women's Bantamweight

Sara McMann

vs.

Amanda Nunes

Sara McMann is an Olympic silver medalist in wrestling, and she was taken down and grinded out by Miesha Tate after rocking Tate on the feet.

Amanda Nunes is Lady Vitor. She is extremely dangerous for three minutes or else she will lose — oftentimes violently, always without ceremony.

Either it's the female Henderson vs. Belfort 1, or the female Henderson vs. Belfort 2.

Flyweight

Ray Borg

vs.

Geane Herrera

The Tazmexican Devil is actually a cool guy to watch. His UFC debut was met with a questionable split loss to Dustin Orti and since then he has continued his long tradition of submitting fools left and right, choking out Shane Howell and tapping Chris Kelades with the kimura. The kid's a serious finisher going on a tear in a division thirsty for fresh blood to feed the king, and to top it all off he is only 22.

His opponent may prove to be a real dark horse, however. An undefeated Brazilian, Herrera is making his UFC debut with five subs and one KO under his belt. Look for this fight to be super grapply and probably fun as hell.

BATMAN VILLAIN VERDICT: KISS FROM A ROSE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ateQQc-AgEM
It's the one surprisingly, legitimately good thing in an otherwise underwhelming product!

OTHER poo poo TO WATCH
Fox Sports 2 Prelims, 8 p.m. ET on a channel that does not exist
Middleweight Uriah Hall vs. Oluwale Bamgbose
Middleweight Chris Camozzi vs. Tom Watson
Flyweight Dustin Ortiz vs. Willie Gates
Bantamweight Frankie Saenz vs. Sirwan Kakai

Fight Pass Prelims, 6:30 p.m. ET
Light Heavyweight Chris Dempsey vs. Jonathan Wilson
Bantamweight Marlon Vera vs. Roman Salazar
Lightweight Anthony Christodoulou vs. Scott Holtzman

Official Weigh-In
4 p.m. ET Friday, Aug. 7

OFFICIAL MMA SNACK RATING: Jelly Belly BeanBoozled jelly beans, where half the jelly beans are regular flavors and the other half are disgusting hosed up flavors that are indistinguishable by sight

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Wait, Borg's loss to Ortiz was controversial? Since when

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I may have been confusing it with any of Ortiz' other split losses that many people felt went the wrong way. Dude's had some splits.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I don't mind Jared Rosholt's fight being on the main card. He gets knocked down in his fights pretty often and Timothy Johnson is a goofy-looking hard-hitting dude with I believe some wrestling background. It shouldn't be too grindy and more of a slugfest.

I also don't think this card will be too bad. Glover, Brunson, and Rosholt could make all of those fights boring but OSP, Sam, and Timothy all have a decent chance to land the knockout shot. Dariush vs Johnson is the only real evenly matched fight and it should be sweet. Not a great card but not a bad card. Watch it.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Big thanks to Dr. Greg Hsu for taking the time to put together another GDT for us.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Every time I see Timothy Johnson fighting I just imagine it's Tom Hardy in Bronson and its cool as hell.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
Those jelly beans are sadistic. gently caress that.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bluedeanie posted:

BATMAN VILLAIN VERDICT: KISS FROM A ROSE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ateQQc-AgEM
It's the one surprisingly, legitimately good thing in an otherwise underwhelming product!

There is so much a man can wrestle, so long he can lay
Yooooouuuuu remain, the blanket on topside of me

Baby I compare you to a punch in the nose in the gray

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
I will watch for Smile'n Sam and Hall, but most of that card looks serviceable for something entertaining to have on.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

His speed, power and striking technique on their own are not quite outstanding enough to inspire long, rambling blog posts overraught with metaphor by British autists,

I enjoyed this joke

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I think I posted the wrong time in the OP, weighins are in 20ish minutes.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
someone is going to have a mental/emotional breakdown in Uriah Hall vs Oluwale "The Guardian Angel of Death & Doom" Bamgbose

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
MY EYES BECOME LARGE AND THE LIGHT THAT YOU SHINE CAN BE SEEN

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I'll have my mother know that her son lived to see a Seal-quote applied to an MMA fight.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Poked by a Jones all the same.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I live in Nashville and don't think I would go to this card with free tickets. Jesus why can't they get anyone worth a flying gently caress to come to Nashville?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Le Saboteur posted:

hahahaha

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Le Saboteur posted:

:golfclap:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Also because I'm a liar - what are the best ways to suddenly find a good ticket for cheap? I just checked the Nashville Arena website and it looks like this show has sold roughly...errr...I'm guess eight tickets?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Captain Log posted:

Jesus why can't they get anyone worth a flying gently caress to come to Nashville?

I'm pretty sure you can figure that out.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

fatherdog posted:

I'm pretty sure you can figure that out.

Says a guy who lived in the armpit of the United States.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Captain Log posted:

our last UFC even was headlined by Machida/Rockhold, neither of whom would be caught dead in Nashville.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

our last UFC even was headlined by Machida/Rockhold, neither of whom would be caught dead in Nashville.

I mean to be fair even if he were caught dead Machida would probably still run eight steps backwards before falling over

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Captain Log posted:

At least you get a poo poo card, St. Louis has to wait for Scott Coker to round up a couple grandpas so he can get Scottrade Center somewhere around a quarter to half capacity.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

fatherdog posted:

they might turn up dead in nashville, though

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

LobsterMobster posted:

they might turn up dead in nashville, though

i dont get it

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Yuriy posted:

i dont get it

Nashville is a terrible place and terrible things happen to people there

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

LobsterMobster posted:

Nashville is a terrible place and terrible things happen to people there

Don't you live in God damned Florida of all places?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Captain Log posted:

Nope

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Captain Log posted:

There are some people in Florida, though, but LobsterMobster is not one.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Oh wait, it's Alabama I think.

I've been told I live somewhere lovely by a person from Jersey and a person from Alabama.

Next I'll have someone from loving Maine or Oklahoma tell me my state is boring.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Captain Log posted:

Oh wait, it's Alabama I think.

I've been told I live somewhere lovely by a person from Jersey and a person from Alabama.

Next I'll have someone from loving Maine or Oklahoma tell me my state is boring.

Alabama is bad, but stabbings aren't that common

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

But Tennessee is lovely. Just because someone is from some place that might be objectively shittier doesn't mean that Tennessee is any better.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
From what I saw basically your entire country is beautiful in some way. And your women love my accent. And I love your women.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

From what I saw basically your entire country is beautiful in some way. And your women love my accent. And I love your women.

Thank you, it's nice to read some positive words in these threads

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

Bluedeanie please do GDT forever.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

There is a man with the nickname The Holy War Angel on this card so this card must be good by default.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Ray Borg missed weight and was clearly hobbling at the weigh ins. Did he end up making weight?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Sara McMann also missed weight by a half pound but I imagine she just went in the back and stripped down and made it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I used to play beer league hockey with Scott Holtzman, so seeing him in the UFC is pretty cool. I'll be rooting for him for sure. He was pretty damned good at hockey, but just too small to really do anything as a pro (played a couple games for the SPHL which is essentially the lowest from of pro hockey there is), plus he started in roller hockey and not ice. Well, that's my story.

• Locked thread