Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
:siren:DRAFT ON TUESDAY 9/8 @ 10 PM ET:siren:

Welcome back to the most infuriating fantasy sport this side of daily roster H2H fantasy baseball...

THE loving IDP FRENZY

What it is
This is a league where we only draft defensive players. Sounds simple enough doesn't it? Well, it is. Sounds easy enough, doesn't it? It's loving not.

How it works
After some discussion last year, it was agreed that the roster should be trimmed and the bench should be expanded. What was a 14-player starting roster and a 5 player bench is now down to 11 and up to 6, respectively:

pre:
POS     Was...  Is...

D Flex      2     1
LB          4     4
DT          2     1
DE          2     1
DL          0     1
CB          2     1
S           2     1
DB          0     1
BN          5     6
Essentially, I chopped off a flex spot, a DL spot and a DB spot, also by changing one of the remaining DL and DB spots to a positional flex instead of a strict position, it should also add for more roster flexibility without making this too easy and a "Draft, Set, & Forget" league. I would be willing to chop off one of those LB spots if people think the starting roster is still too big, but it looks fine to me as is.

As far as scoring goes, point totals haven't changed, but are up to discussion if we feel they should:

quote:

Tackle Solo: 1.5
Tackle Assist: .75
Sack: 3.5
Interception: 5
Fumble Force: 3.5
Fumble Recovery: 3.5
Defensive Touchdown: 6
Pass Defended: 3
Block Kick: 5
Tackles for Loss: 2

The only thing I don't like is that Yahoo doesn't allow me to score return yards unless we have offensive players. A work-around I thought of, would be to allow for one offensive flex position but only let the league score return yards and then we have one offensive player who doesn't really do anything. I'm erring on the side of no for that, but we can discuss that also.

edit: There won't be FAAB for waivers this year, instead it'll be a rolling priority based upon record.

and:

:eng101:Auto-drafting & You:eng101:

Yahoo defensive rankings are absolute trash for anyone not already aware, so if you fear you may miss the draft, I would definitely suggest pre-ranking your players. There will be ~200-225 players taken, so I'd adjust accordingly.

Who can play

:siren:ANYONE:siren:

I already sent out invites to the previous 11 owners and they are welcome back if they would like to play. I'm going to open up the registration to 14-teams so we can make 8 playoff teams and eliminate the byes. I'm willing to settle for 12 again if there is lack of interest/people don't want to play again and we can't replace them. So essentially we have two spots open at least, and they will be given on a first come, first served basis.

That's the long and short of it, so prepare to pull your hair out come September while you have your nose glued to the screen trying to figure out if Jerrell Freeman or D'Qwell Jackson was the guy that just made that meaningless tackle on 2nd & long.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Yes! I've been watching for this league to make a return!

Scoring seemed to work well and I'd vote to keep it the same. While it was frustrating to not get TDs when Watt scored as a TE - this technically IS a defensive league and if a player were to permanently move to offensive I don't think we'd let anyone get those points.

I'll play around with how the changes affect optimal drafting order and players taken like last year. I have a feeling that some of the positional flexes are going to essentially be the same as just having 2 of one of the spots they replaced.

Overall Flex change won't change anything and it will still be an LB 100% of the time - even if we do end up with 14 active teams.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Will it still be auction?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
It was a normal draft last year, just waivers were auction style. I assume that we keep FAAB though. It really isn't an issue, every week I found people to pick up after auctions closed to improve my team and had one of the better teams on the year.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

gently caress it I am back and in! I felt like I did pretty well last year, considering I was ranked just above the two autodrafts at the beginning of the year. (LOL Yahoo).

I still hate the Yahoo interface with an intense passion. I will deal with it though.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Aredna posted:

It was a normal draft last year, just waivers were auction style. I assume that we keep FAAB though. It really isn't an issue, every week I found people to pick up after auctions closed to improve my team and had one of the better teams on the year.

I forgot to add, but I did remove the FAAB waivers. Though I prefer them, I feel they're a bit difficult to determine in a league like this, so I thought it'd be easier. I did, however, make waivers a rolling list based upon record so it removes sitting on a priority.

Leperflesh posted:

gently caress it I am back and in! I felt like I did pretty well last year, considering I was ranked just above the two autodrafts at the beginning of the year. (LOL Yahoo).

I still hate the Yahoo interface with an intense passion. I will deal with it though.

Oh yeah, I should probably add a section in the OP about pre-ranking and auto-drafting.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 9, 2015

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Yeah, my bad. Got FAAB and auction mixed up. Clearly I don't play them! I'll stay in the league this year. I will not autodraft this time so everyone is doomed.

I'd prefer waivers resetting after use because I don't like giving freebies to bad owners. But it's not a huge deal to me since it's not a pay league. e: so small a deal I don't know why I even typed this

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 9, 2015

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

old dog child posted:

I'd prefer waivers resetting after use because I don't like giving freebies to bad owners. But it's not a huge deal to me since it's not a pay league. e: so small a deal I don't know why I even typed this

I thought about this, and I agree, but in a league like this where there's usually only one incredible difference maker a season (ie. Borland :(), I'd rather a lovely team get that guy then for someone in contention who sat on the #1 choice.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

That's fair. I ended up with Borland last year because someone in the league tipped me off and I spent like 1/3 of my FAAB on him. Guess we couldn't do that if it was reset after claim.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
To be fair you still would have gotten Borland given what autodraft did to your record. If you share what players you're targeting then you deserve to lose them.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Aredna posted:

To be fair you still would have gotten Borland given what autodraft did to your record. If you share what players you're targeting then you deserve to lose them.

Nah..I actually wasn't the worst in the league!! Greatest first season ever. e: actually, I'm not sure. Yahoo doesn't seem to let me check my weekly roster from last year. Only the final one.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 9, 2015

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Exactly! Waivers get reset in order from worst to best each week, so you would have had top priority.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

old dog child posted:

That's fair. I ended up with Borland last year because someone in the league tipped me off

Me. It was me. I'm the one who did that. I was excited about him and opened my big fat mouth. And now he's retired just to spite me. Along with the rest of the niners' defense. :negative:

e. Howcome I can't find last year's league on Yahoo? Do they just... loving, delete them?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I pulled the raw data from Yahoo for all players as it is as of today for all players with >0 fantasy points projected. It's here for anyone to copy and use themselves as you want. I figured I might as well save anyone else the hour of copy/paste that I wasted doing it.

Leperflesh posted:

e. Howcome I can't find last year's league on Yahoo? Do they just... loving, delete them?

There's some historical data left, but not everything it appears. In the top to the left of the league name you can change the year to 2014.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Me. It was me. I'm the one who did that. I was excited about him and opened my big fat mouth. And now he's retired just to spite me. Along with the rest of the niners' defense. :negative:

Thanks, I will keep an eye on your posts in the future..just in case.

quote:

On the league main page there's little selector box for 2014 or 2015 to the right of THE loving IDP FRENZY.

Aredna posted:

I couldn't find weekly roster data but I finally figured out that I grabbed Borland in week 10. I had one win by that point so I technically wouldn't have him...if the last place team was actually manned by somebody. No historical rosters but transactions were available. 41 bucks for Borland. Yeesh.

Aredna posted:

I pulled the raw data from Yahoo for all players as it is as of today for all players with >0 fantasy points projected. It's here for anyone to copy and use themselves as you want. I figured I might as well save anyone else the hour of copy/paste that I wasted doing it.

Thanks for this!

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Dandy Kaiser posted:

pre:
POS     Was...  Is...

D Flex      2     1
LB          4     4
DT          2     1
DE          2     1
DL          0     1
CB          2     1
S           2     1
DB          0     1
BN          5     6
Essentially, I chopped off a flex spot, a DL spot and a DB spot, also by changing one of the remaining DL and DB spots to a positional flex instead of a strict position, it should also add for more roster flexibility without making this too easy and a "Draft, Set, & Forget" league. I would be willing to chop off one of those LB spots if people think the starting roster is still too big, but it looks fine to me as is.

I've done a bit of math and playing around with optimal starting lineups - you know given that month early preseason IDP forecasts are perfect and all.

Anyways, at 14+ teams we should keep 4LB. Doing so makes it so that the DFlex position won't always be an LB and will make it more interesting to manage. In fact, if you added back a DFlex position it would make managing it much more interesting and involved.

However I should note this only happens if we have 4 LB slots along with 14+ teams. If we cut to 3 LBs or end up with only 12 teams the DFlex is essentially just another LB spot.

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Yahoo defensive rankings are absolute trash for anyone not already aware, so if you fear you may miss the draft, I would definitely suggest pre-ranking your players. There will be ~200-225 players taken, so I'd adjust accordingly.

BTW - for anyone that could end up autodrafting: At 14 teams right now we would have 238 players taken. If you want to be safe, you should add another 70 (14 teams * 5 positions) into your autodraft list for a total of 308 players. Doubtful, but possible we have people go deeper at one slot unexpectedly.

Aredna fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 10, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dandy Kaiser posted:

To expand on this, Yahoo's IDP rankings are alphabetical (i.e. they don't even bother). You will literally be autodrafted retired players. If you don't think you can make the draft, it's 100% imperative that you pre-rank.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Aredna posted:

There's some historical data left, but not everything it appears. In the top to the left of the league name you can change the year to 2014.

I literally cannot find a Yahoo page for this league. As in, not for this year either. No link in the OP. Can someone link it for me?

e. When I go to http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/ and log in, under the Yahoo Fantasy dropdown, "My Teams and Leagues" is empty.

e2. Huh I wonder if I used a different login for fantasy...

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 10, 2015

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm already back in the league, but the BIG SCARY BLACK MEN are going to dominate again this year. Feel the burn!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I haven't received a re-invite, either. I wonder if there was some fuckery with my Yahoo account - I just remembered, earlier this year I had to get them to do something weird in order to join my (non-Yahoo) Flickr account to my pre-existing Yahoo account.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

It says it sent an invite to leperfish@yahoo, if you have a different e-mail you want me to send it to, I can do that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ahah! OK yes got it, gently caress me I did create a second Yahoo account.

...and I'm in. I forgot all about this other ID, LOL.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 10, 2015

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

if you want to leave and have me send an invite to your other yahoo ID I can do that, let me know.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nah this is fine. I think I split them originally because (like many fantasy football thingies) Yahoo insists on putting your real name all over everything, and I'd rather a curious boss at work googling my name doesn't discover I'm obviously wasting countless hours of work time playing fantasy football.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

That's why I use a fake name because my name is most definitely not Mr. October Dwayne Zackamore.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Right but then my regular Yahoo account is tied to my Flickr account (didn't used to be but they forced it, gently caress me) and that account needs to have my real name so my mom can find it when I post christmas photos.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Looks like we've got 5 back so far. Really hoping everyone else starts showing up soon!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Is there a draft date set yet?

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
Sorry I have to bow out of this league. I don't have the time it requires and most likely couldn't attend the draft. It was fun though and hella challenging but educational for a complete newbie to idp.

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.
Well, I guess I'd like to give IDP of some form a shot; if a spot is available [and it looks like there is one], I'd like to join.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

GVOLTT posted:

Well, I guess I'd like to give IDP of some form a shot; if a spot is available [and it looks like there is one], I'd like to join.

Give me the email attached to your Yahoo account and I will send an invite.

As far as draft date goes, I'm not sure what I scheduled it for when I renewed the league, but I figure it's somewhat of a moot point with only ~6 teams. I'm figuring it'll probably be a weeknight next week or early the week after before the opener.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Back for another season - but I'm out of town with no way to draft this coming weekend (29th and 30th) so I hope the draft isn't then.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I already have two drafts on the 30th (one is GoonTier) and I typically don't draft on Saturdays because I have a life and want to enjoy my weekend not being on my computer, so I don't anticipate that happening, even if we fill the league before this weekend.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

We have 8 teams now, I want at least 12 and am holding out hope we can get to 14.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
how married to the idea of being on yahoo is this league

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

OVERTHROW THE YAHOO ENSLAVERS #espnleaguesmatter

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
yeah those guys are right! move the league to espn!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I hate yahoo with a burning passion and would rather we did it somewhere else. On the other hand, Yahoo does already have our league set up so I can understand our intrepid leader not especially wanting to remake the league elsewhere.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I loving hate ESPN :(

is this a muntiny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

All the choices are bad (seriously why can't anyone make a reasonable UI for fantasy football) but Yahoo is the most bad.

It didn't stop me from participating last year and it's not like I'm go out on strike this year if we don't change. I'm just saying, this user interface was "designed" by a committee of howler monkeys flinging poo at a very small cubicle farm full of first-year community-college computer science students.

• Locked thread