Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Digiwizzard posted:

CEDA debates are loving amazing because they provide all of the superficial appearance of a debate with the meaning drained out. the debaters all function like broken robots shouting giant walls of text into a void, speaking too fast to be coherent in order to inject as much meaningless information as possible into their time limit.

if presidential debates are still a thing in 50 years they'll probably all be like CEDA. the candidates just babble incoherent word streams from their teleprompter for an hour and a half and at the end the winner is decided by some arbitrary quality like "who said the most words" or "who sounded the most presidential"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrIEgutvel4&t=2628s

Are they reading from a monitor? I though debate was about being able to think on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Saurus posted:

I like how the working classes of western nations who had it good after WW2 didn't realise that they were just being bribed with stuff to stop them from turning to communism/the soviet union, and now that they helped destroy communism, all their rights and opportunities are being systematically taken away

Hm, yes, the Soviets had it so good.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Saurus posted:

Actually, quite a few americans did move to the soviet union during the 1930's, when living conditions were indeed better there.

1930s in America, despite the Depression, were still years of technological boom, of cars and radios and increasing life spans and poo poo.

1930s in the USSR were an age of famine and forced labour.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

John Denver Hoxha posted:

Whoa lotta folks here know nothing about the New Deal or the pressures from various groups (from the fascists like that father coughlin dude, to the comintern and unions they supported) that shaped american 'prosperity' which was essentially bribing the working class and created the wholly unsustainable american dream that really took shape once every other industrial power was bombed to poo poo

So you are saying that prior to 1945 conditions in the US were worse than in Europe, on average?

If so, then lol.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Have you never heard of the New Deal? If so then lol

America was prosperous before the ND as well, which is a notion that seems to offend you.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nothing says prosperity and stability like having to call in ol blood and guts patton with the gas and tanks to clear the capital city of thousands of your conscripts from the previous war (who were starving and demanding money they were promised), while rumors fly about the protestors being shock troops for a coup.

And it goes back farther, the whole war is a racket united fruit company thing showed that even some of the militarys brightest stars saw it.

I see, you are just trolling, sorry for interrupting you.

Seriously, do you think other countries didn't crush labour protests with guns?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Strudel Man posted:

Segregating bathrooms by gender has been mostly okay.

Ally McBeal has shown the way

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I still don't know what your fetish regarding other countries is and why you think I have a boner for them or something... I never said people were going to flee, I said the country could have torn itself apart if serious concessions were not made.

I have a soft spot (lol) for Americans whining about their historical misery, it's like Americans are so self-centered that they can't even let other countries enjoy their whining about their past, they must barge in with a smug dose of "Well, we actually had it worse, y'all". That's not what's been going on in this thread per se, but it's not too far off, and is part of the discoursive environment that enables this pity-fishing brand of exceptionalism.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Moridin920 posted:

what's it called when europeans always think everyone is talking about them?

Being the origin of all culture.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Yes, even the most terrible culture.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
No.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sonofsilversign posted:

why dont cops use net guns though, makes alot of sense when you think about it...

Fantasy weapons don't make for good deterrents.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sonofsilversign posted:

this is also a good idea if you invested in the development of a safe non lethal tranq formula

i sure hope you are ironically responding to my ironic question, cause lol at the idea of somebody actually saying "deterrent" in the context of law enforcement in 2015

Obviously riot control cops always uuse hollow point bullets fired from miniguns.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Drug sales are actually progressive and in favour of the disadvantaged groups. The only thing we can do to help the crack addicts is to legalize crack.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Klyith posted:

I think the only unique thing about the left is that that stuff you call out allows for a more hostile / offensive style of assimilation of the neighboring tribe. I don't think it really hurts those causes with outsiders, because the true undecideds don't see it and don't care, and the other side is actively looking for things to be disgusted by. If it wasn't some BLM activists breaking up the rally it'd be what Sanders said.

But this same poo poo happens on the right. There are fewer landmines there -- the main untouchable opinion being pro-choice -- so there aren't the show trials and guys being pilloried for wrongthink as often. What you do have is a bunker mentality, which is carefully cultivated by right media. That's what makes stuff like the Tea Party attempt to sway the republican party away from extreme social conservationism fail. The split was extremely temporary because the tea party people still thought of themselves as fellow bunker mates with the religious right (and plenty of them were actually the same people anyways).

The right doesn't need a single political platform, because it's the current historical dominant force, and the state is a system explicitly intended to propagate capitalist dominance over the proletariat.

The capitalist position is in no way comparable to the worker's awakening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

If humans do end up colonizing another planet either by terraforming mars or venus or finding an exoplanet within a distance that we reach, should we let all the races be a part of it? My thoughts are, no.

There should be a lottery for each position, within the given qualification considerations.

A lottery helped to build the Panama canal, why shouldn't it help a Mars colony.

• Locked thread