Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
and theres nothing i can do :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:yayclod:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

here's the thing: they're all hosed up, OP

source: I design enterprise webapps for a living

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
sometimes when i'm programming a webapp i'm like 'drat this is hosed up' but then it's five o'clock and it's time to go home and get drunk

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

that is supremely gnarly, op

pram
Jun 10, 2001
enterprise apps are hosed up because they're made by people who absolutely do not give a poo poo about the end result. no passion, severe depression/alcoholism, stupid requirements, asinine deadlines. a ticket just came in..

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
its a sales platform + crm for theatres. its got a thing where u sell tickets. so you click sell and start typing the fields, name, etc. and it populates from the database. so is John Smithenstein wants a ticket, but not sure ons pelling, you can type Jo then tab into the last name and do Smithen and you'll see a list of ppl that match that and u can click and then it populates with his account. from here u can sell him poo poo, book him poo poo, make notes on his file, etc. you get it. anyways now for some reason i cant type in it fast. i have to type at like 0.005 wpm or else it eats the letters. its like a really old bad videogame i played called Xenimus that had it when there was a mad poo poo on screen u couldnt tupe for poo poo. so to have a good convo ude haveto walk way out of town where you could type at normal speed.

anways, i just put a ticket in to the webapp people. they charge us a gently caress load of fees so..

also if you work there, and read this, greetings.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
enterprise web apps are good

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Smythe posted:

its a sales platform + crm for theatres. its got a thing where u sell tickets. so you click sell and start typing the fields, name, etc. and it populates from the database. so is John Smithenstein wants a ticket, but not sure ons pelling, you can type Jo then tab into the last name and do Smithen and you'll see a list of ppl that match that and u can click and then it populates with his account. from here u can sell him poo poo, book him poo poo, make notes on his file, etc. you get it. anyways now for some reason i cant type in it fast. i have to type at like 0.005 wpm or else it eats the letters. its like a really old bad videogame i played called Xenimus that had it when there was a mad poo poo on screen u couldnt tupe for poo poo. so to have a good convo ude haveto walk way out of town where you could type at normal speed.

anways, i just put a ticket in to the webapp people. they charge us a gently caress load of fees so..

also if you work there, and read this, greetings.

sounds like a ID10T problem, op!!!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kirk posted:

sounds like a ID10T problem, op!!!

yeah, on the webapp dev's side

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Smythe posted:

CLOSED, NOTABUG
Informed user that it works properly if they type slower.

remember, enterprise development isn't about doing it right, it's about finding the minimum amount of work you can do to implement and support the feature so you can write another half baked feature for an upcoming demo and get that sweet sweet initial setup fee

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
after all, what are you going to do? migrate to another web app? *chortle* okay, call us when you want your data out and we'll send you a quote on exporting it to you.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
update: their csr dude who is my bff is taking gr8 care of me, his smallest and most pathetic client

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

goondolences, op

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i think it would be good to get in on this enterprise webAPP business. good racket

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like they need to memcache the names and stuff so its not doing database accesses on every keystroke

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

is it at .war

lmao

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

maybe it needs to get its .ears checked

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Smythe posted:

i think it would be good to get in on this enterprise webAPP business. good racket

when i was an idiot student i spent four months working for a company fixing up some pos customisable enterprise bookings/purchasing software they were paying ridiculous license fees for but which didn't work properly. when i got it working they said "cool thx bye now" before i'd trained any of their staff up on it and ultimately they scrapped the whole thing without ever using it. it was loving tedious work that paid ok for a student, but i realised that some people spend their entire careers doing this exact pointless thing and somehow don't just kill themselves :iiam:

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
*said in the same voice as that old commercial*
WEBAPP!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
hi kirk :wave:

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot