Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
should britain keep the royal family
Yes, God save the Queen
No, gently caress the Queen
View Results

• Locked thread
Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
A lot of people seem to think that the Great British Royal family are nothing more than an antiquated reminder of colonialism and a burden to the taxpayer.

Are they though?

The cost of keeping them knocking around is approximately £36 million which sounds a lot, but to the average British taxpayer that's around about 56 pence. Or if you're American that's a mere $0.87. That's right, not even a dollar.

56p is probably about the cost of a can of Vimto...

or a packet of crisps...

And what do we get in return?

We get major tourist bucks from johnny foreigner coming over desperate to catch a glimpse of the Queen in her knick-knocks. And how about that lady. Isn't she lovely. She's like everyone's nan and she's not afraid to speak her mind, tells it like it is and sticks up for the ordinary man. Gawd bless her soul she really is quite smashing.

We get Prince Harry, the nation's heart-throb, when he's not being awfully brave as a front line soldier he's acting like a top bloke showing American ladies a good time...

Or just having a bit of a laugh with his mates...

And let's not forget all the sporting achievements of the Royals and all those gold medals in the Olympics for example the lovely and inspiring Zara Phillips in the dressage (horse dancing). You go girl!

And last but not least, HRH Prince Philip, king of the clangers...

Here are some of his best gaffes... http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-philip-quotes-relive-65-1445185

Keep 'em, I say. What harm do they do and certainly life would be a lot less colourful without them around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Off with the queens head

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
hey did you see that picture of my username spelled in mustard yesterday? I was supposed to get to probate someone from the thread but i got probated before I could post it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the fact that people hero worship royalty in 2015 makes me sick

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Might as well keep them, don't really care all that much to be honest. Getting rid of the House of Lords is something I give more of a poo poo about.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
god the house of lords too

wtf is wrong with you Britain get it together

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Megadyptes posted:

Might as well keep them, don't really care all that much to be honest. Getting rid of the House of Lords is something I give more of a poo poo about.

on the contrary its a non-political check on our political parties, they've veto'd a lot of very scary oppressive horrible big brother style legislation on account of that they dont give a gently caress about politics, a lot of them are very clever scientists and other professionals for example

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Is not lowtax akin to a king?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
no, kick them out and become an even more uninspired nation blob than canada :twisted:

esn2500
Mar 2, 2015

Some asshole told me to get fucked and eat shit so I got fucked and ate shit

Moridin920 posted:

the fact that people hero worship royalty in 2015 makes me sick

I'm confused why it's still in place; it seems to serve no real purpose except to be a reminder of the past.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Shirley Crabtree posted:

on the contrary its a non-political check on our political parties, they've veto'd a lot of very scary oppressive horrible big brother style legislation on account of that they dont give a gently caress about politics, a lot of them are very clever scientists and other professionals for example

Most of them were appointed by the government and its hosed up that bishops still get seats.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Megadyptes posted:

Most of them were appointed by the government and its hosed up that bishops still get seats.

if bishops weren't appointed then who would keep our nation's moral values in check?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

esn2500 posted:

I'm confused why it's still in place; it seems to serve no real purpose except to be a reminder of the past.

Other countries that got rid of their monarchies had revolutions of some sort, commies took over or the monarchy was wildly unpopular and kicked out with referendums. In the more chilled out Western places like the UK, Benelux countries and Scandinavian countries the monarchy just kinda hung around. Felipe VI of Spain is a pretty cool dude though.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

They are a symbol of aspiration for hard working Brits. If you work hard for no money and never get uppity then you too might be born from the right vagina and live in incredible luxury without doing a day's labour in your entire life.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Keep prince phillip and harry, the rest can go.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

They are a symbol of aspiration for hard working Brits. If you work hard for no money and never get uppity then you too might be born from the right vagina and live in incredible luxury without doing a day's labour in your entire life.

quite right and lets not forget whenever theres a royal baby, nothing brings the common man together more

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

In France there's a bunch of different claimants to the old Royal throne and even Bonaparist Imperial throne. One of the branches of the old royalty can't decide which is the real heir and tried sorting it out in court but the Frog Judge just told them to get the gently caress out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legitimists these fucks I think.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
man i cant wait to fly to england and spend american dollars to look at an big ugly old house full of parasites in fancy clothes

you say the saggy shriveled up one in a sparkly hat is the leader? lol

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
It's a lot easier to make fun of British people when they do stupid poo poo like literally pay to have a queen.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

The Russians knew how to deal with their Royalty problem.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Hobohemian posted:

It's a lot easier to make fun of British people when they do stupid poo poo like literally pay to have a queen.

come on fellas they dont even cost to the taxpayer the price of a small mcdonalds chips, surely thats a pittance compared to all the entertainment value they provide

MariusLecter posted:

man i cant wait to fly to england and spend american dollars to look at an big ugly old house full of parasites in fancy clothes

you say the saggy shriveled up one in a sparkly hat is the leader? lol

id like to see you look as good as her maj at 89 years of age

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Do the other 15 or 16 countries with Lizzy as their Queen pay any sort of maintenance? If not we should take them to court and get that poo poo backpaid.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My ancestor deserted the Continental Army and hosed off to Canada and came back to the US of A after other shmucks fought and bled and died, specifically so I, in the year 2015, could give no shits as to the existence of the royal family

Or maybe it was so I wouldn't have to watch Downtown Abbey, I can't remember.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

skeletonotherkin posted:

The Russians knew how to deal with their Royalty problem.

The only time Russia was even sort of good was under royalty, imo.

Clone Peter the Great.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Megadyptes posted:

Do the other 15 or 16 countries with Lizzy as their Queen pay any sort of maintenance? If not we should take them to court and get that poo poo backpaid.

well technically the USA still owes GB all its gold silver and copper profits, just saying

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
I think it would be better value for money if we could hang draw and quarter one per generation

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Shirley Crabtree posted:

well technically the USA still owes GB all its gold silver and copper profits, just saying

And for all that loving tea they dumped into the harbour

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

The only time Russia was even sort of good was under royalty, imo.

Clone Peter the Great.

Holy poo poo that's depressing.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Holy poo poo that's depressing.

Peter was a cool guy. He was like ten feet tall and had a house full of pickled babies in jars: http://www.kunstkamera.ru/en/museum_exhibitions/2floor/1st_collections/

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmCnYXOO33I

oi oval office make way or ur getting ur globber bashed swear on me mum

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Actually I do think England should keep their royalty. However they should all be forced to abandon a posh lifestyle, adopt a cockney accent, and subsist off of pie and mash.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Peter was a cool guy. He was like ten feet tall and had a house full of pickled babies in jars: http://www.kunstkamera.ru/en/museum_exhibitions/2floor/1st_collections/

he was also an amateur dentist and forcibly operated on random nobles lmao

wouldn't call him a cool guy though despite his amusing quirks

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

yeah i guess

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
God save the queen.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/597104/ISIS-Queen-Elizabeth-Victory-in-Japan-Anniversary-Boston-Bombing-MI5-David-Cameron-Jihadi

They're going to blow up hrh! How many signatures on a petition to save the queen before ISIS have to look at it?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Behead the royal family as a worldwide PPV television event, then auction off the Corgis. I bet it would make a lot more money than keeping them around.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Three Olives posted:

Behead the royal family as a worldwide PPV television event, then auction off the Corgis. I bet it would make a lot more money than keeping them around.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
im pretty sure even in this day and age all of this talk of regicide would see you hanged around here please lets be respectful

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
abolishing monarchies and peerage is equality 101

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
even prince philip is a loving bit better than donald trump and paris hilton wouldn't you agree

• Locked thread