Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Ignore the cat-thing. I'll probably pick up find familiar with one of my invocations, but for now, I can't access it.
Reava, Half-Elf Warlock, Guild Artisan of House Medani

"The life of a counter-spy isn't easy. Every word someone says needs to be analyzed and cataloged, while making sure they don't know you're doing it. It requires a sharp tongue, sharper ears, and a fast quill hand. Officially, my job is a stenographer for various meetings between officials of Medani and various other people. In actuality, my job is to not only write down whatever is said, but also to note hidden meanings, record facial reactions, and jot down various inflections, anything that could reveal a deeper meaning behind those words. While that may seem simple, people in my line of work tend to end up disappearing if we're not careful."

"Because of this, I've also had to make various deals to have the power to survive any attempts on my life that might come up. I came across several beings happy to have a foothold in a House, especially one as secretive as Medani. Ultimately I went with a deal with one of the Dragons. Of all the options, it felt like the one that would likely least compromise the house, as I doubt the Dragon I made a deal with will share the information I give with him. Once he starts asking for tasks, things might get a bit more difficult, but that's a bridge I'll burn when I come to it."

"I was born into the House to my human mother and elven father. When I manifested my Mark, I got put on the fast track to be trained for the Warning Guild. I'm not a native of Sharn, although I was born in Breland. As a child, the walls of Wroat were all I knew. Once, my training was completed, I was transferred to Sharn to do my work in a place with more people."

"Finding out people's secrets is my whole job. And what good is a secret if it's not worth being killed over? But I think my favorite secret is that we actually do have a spy inside our network from outside of it. It took a bit of digging but I learned that one of our counter-spies, Carric, is actually a member of House Phiarlan. I decided to take some steps to make sure that instead of having him found, he just was on less important jobs or outwork fabrications, such that he is feeding wrong information back to his House. Technically, I'm supposed to just report him and let him get captured, but my direct superior gave me permission to string him along while he smooths things over and makes sure Carric never discovers anything important, with the caveat that if it got found out, he had nothing to do with it."

pre:
Class: Warlock

HP: 9
AC: 12
AP: 5
Init: +0
Prof Bonus: +2

Alignment: True Neutral
Patron: Great Old One
Background: Guild Artisan
Languages: Elven, Common, Halfling
Size: Medium
Speed: 30ft

Features:
Awakened Mind
Least Dragonmark: Mark of Detection
Darksight 60ft
Fey Ancestry

Strength: 8 (-1)
Constitution: 12 (+1)
Dexterity: 10 (0)
Intelligence: 14 (+2) (Racial +1)
Wisdom: 16 (+3) (Racial +1) (Prof)
Charisma: 16 (+3) (Racial +2) (Prof)

Personality:
Traits: There's nothing wrong with having pride in your work, especially when you put your all into it.
Ideal: I have fully devoted myself to House Medani. While it thrives, I do as well. When it suffers, I suffer.
Bond: While to outsiders, we appear distant and emotionless, in the Warning Guild, there's a nice camaraderie among those of us tasked with ferreting out secrets.
Flaw: I'm a bit of a control freak, I suppose. Whenever something slips out of my control, I try to get it back in my hands as soon as possible.
Proficiencies:
Simple Weapons, Light Armor, Calligrapher's Tools, Persuasion,
Insight, Investigation, Deception, Arcana, Perception

Equipment:
Spellcasting Focus
Studded Leather Armor
A Dagger
A Scholar's Pack
Calligrapher's Tools
Favored Quill Pen (+1 to Investigation)

Spells
Cantrips:
Eldritch Blast
Mage Hand

Level 1:
Hex
Illusory Script

Dragonmark:
Detect Magic
Augment: Mage Hand
That should be everything. Tell me if I hosed something up. I'm not that familiar with 5e or Eberron, even though I enjoy Eberron a bunch as a setting. Also why does the warlock gear want to hand me like 20 daggers?

djw175 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Part-elf supremacy!

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Reava looks good. Just one thing: can you add Personality Trait/Ideal/Bond/Flaw details?

I like the minorly-enchanted quill pen. I presume your skills come in particularly handy when your superiors don't want to have to share your House secrets with a Sivis gnome? Also, you technically get the use of Mage Hand from your Dragonmark, though since you know it as a cantrip as well, I think that's not particularly relevant. Rather than effectively losing one of your Mark abilities, maybe there is some way it augments your pact-based Mage Hand?

Finally, any thoughts as to the entity with which you've made your Pact? It may not matter directly in the game, but since this is Eberron, a Daelkyr is one disturbing option (whether you're aware of its nature or not), but in theory it could be a powerful Quori spirit, or even one of the Dragons (though those might be more appropriate for Fiendish or Fey pacts). If you don't care/want to leave the Great Old One unspecified for now, that's fine too.

Added.

Yeah, I didn't put Mage Hand in the Dragonmark section because I have it from a cantrip, but I do like the idea that if I use my dragonmark, I can make it better.

Most of the reason I didn't elaborate on the pact was that I didn't really know Eberron well enough to know what kind of beings would hand out their power. Reading into the options you said, I liked the dragon one.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Brewsuke posted:

My only regret is that I couldn't also get Charisma to 16, but oh well. Eldritch Bolt should solve most of my damage output problems if my longbow doesn't. Note to self: Get proficiency in Stealth somehow.

There's probably an invocation for it somewhere considering there's invocations to do any thing.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
10 people huh? This'll either be amazing or a complete clusterfuck. Either way, I'm glad to be a part of it!

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Drone posted:

By the way, we should probably all compare notes on timezones, just so nobody is expecting lightning-quick responses or anything when it turns out the other person is in the middle of sleeping.

I'm Central Europe (UTC+1).

Eastern USA (Currently UTC-4 but UTC-5 when the winter comes)

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
So I think what we've learned is that Elven is not the language to speak when you're trying to hide information from this party.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Holy poo poo. Kalud might actually win.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

TychoBrahesNose posted:

So technically, Commander's Strike applies to Kalud's reaction to the human's previous attack, so it should be applied to the first roll rather than the second. Your 13+3 hits regardless, and the 5+3+2 would still miss...unless you want to try dropping an action point on top of it as well? There's still no guarantee of success even with an extra 1d6, but another hit sooner rather than later is certainly to your benefit.

I dunno, is it cheating to switch the Commander's Strike bonus to the other attack, now that we know what the results are?

I think Kalud needs all the help he can get.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Hey sorry about not posting for a bit. I've kind of been getting run ragged by suddenly doing school stuff and haven't really had time to post. If things need to keep happening, I'd be okay if you autopiloted Reava a bit.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Anyone have any save spells that they want to use against the displacer beast I'm next to? Just asking to know what disadvantage I should give it.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Ryuujin posted:

How are you giving it disadvantage? Not Hex I hope.

I thought Hex did it, but looking it up that's only ability checks, not saves so oh well. I'm gonna use it for the extra damage anyway.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Does the displacer beast to the left still have its disadvantage thingy?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Rolled again for my post just in case, and both were good rolls so whatever.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
So, my posting might get spotty soon considering there's a hurricane on its way to where I live.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I feel like I should mention that I'm still around, just waiting for Bastion's plan.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

pre:

HP: 15

Features:
Awakened Mind
Darksight 60ft
Fey Ancestry

Personality:
Traits: There's nothing wrong with having pride in your work, especially when you put your all into it.
Ideal: I have fully devoted myself to House Medani. While it thrives, I do as well. When it suffers, I suffer.
Bond: While to outsiders, we appear distant and emotionless, in the Warning Guild, there's a nice camaraderie among those of us tasked with ferreting out secrets.
Flaw: I'm a bit of a control freak, I suppose. Whenever something slips out of my control, I try to get it back in my hands as soon as possible.
Proficiencies:

Equipment:
Spellcasting Focus
Studded Leather Armor
A Dagger
A Scholar's Pack
Calligrapher's Tools

Invocations
Agonizing Blast: +CHA to Eldritch Blast damage
Fiendish Vigor: Cast False Life as a level 1 spell whenever

Spells (2 Slots)
Cantrips:
Eldritch Blast
Mage Hand

Level 1:
Hex
Illusory Script
Dissonant Whispers

Dragonmark:
Detect Magic

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Hey sorry for my lack of posting. School got hectic and my depression kicked back into gear at the worst time. As for what Reava's trying to get out of the conversation, mostly information, but she'll err on the side of caution considering they've offered her a job.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I think this is everything?

pre:

HP: 21

Features:
Awakened Mind
Darksight 60ft
Fey Ancestry
Pact Boon: Pact of the Tome

Personality:
Proficiencies:

Equipment:
Spellcasting Focus
Studded Leather Armor
A Dagger
A Scholar's Pack
Calligrapher's Tools
Book of Shadows

Invocations
Agonizing Blast: +CHA to Eldritch Blast damage
Book of Ancient Secrets: Gain two rituals and also become able to learn more rituals

Spells (2 Slots)
Cantrips:
Eldritch Blast
Mage Hand
Guidance
Prestidigitation
Fire Bolt

Level 1:
Hex
Illusory Script
Comprehend Languages
Find Familiar
Identify

Level 2:
Suggestion

Dragonmark:
Detect Magic

Aubrey, Celestial Owl

pre:
HP: 1
AC: 11
Speed: 5 ft, Fly 60ft
Skills: Perception +3, Stealth +3
Senses: darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 13
Flyby: The owl doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy’s reach.
Keen Hearing and Sight: The owl has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or sight.
Talons: Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 slashing damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Blah. This probably won't surprise anyone, but I'm gonna drop out. I said this to Tycho earlier but life got hectic and something had to give.

• Locked thread