Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

Why don't I hear any sleep screams?
pre:
Colum "the old badger" MacCullach
STR 16 (+3) (+1 Racial) (+1 Feat)
CON 16 (+3) (+1 Racial)
DEX 14 (+2) 
WIS 10 (0)
INT 8  (-1)
CHA 10 (0) 

AC 15
HP 15
Speed: 30
Initiative: +2

Attack:
Unarmed - +5 (1d4+3)

Race: Human
Class: Barbarian

Alignment: Neutral Good
Language: Dwarvish, Common

Background: Folk Hero

Proficiencies
Armor: Light Armor, Medium Armor, Shields
Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
Saving Throws: Strength, Constitution
Skills: Intimidation, Athletics, Animal Handling, Survival, Perception
Tools: Brewer's Tools

Personality Trait: Thinking is for other people. I prefer action.
Ideal: Freedom, Tyrants must not be allowed to oppress the people
Bond: A proud noble once gave me a horrible beating and I will take my revenge on any bully I encounter
Flaw: I have a weakness for the vices of the city, especially hard drink.

Equipment
Explorer's Pack
Brewer's Tools
Shovel
Iron Pot
Common Clothes
Favored Horse Whip (+1 to Animal Handling)

Features
Lest Dragonmark: Mark of Handling
Rage 2/day +2/day
Unarmored Defense

Variant Feat: Tavern Brawler

Dragonmark:
Druidcraft
Speak with Animals
---

I'm super interested in playing a PBP but I've never done one before. Neither have I played eberron and only barely 5e. I've played a lot of 3.5 and 4e though.

---

"You? Yer the old badger's new groom?" The man-at-arms stared at me dumbfounded, his ale suddenly forgotten on the splintered tavern bar.

"Aye..." I said sipping from my own ale.

"Ach, he's gonna have a right fun time with you." The man laughed, and threw back his drink. "Work ya down tae nothin. You'll be a wee little stick and cold in tha ground b'fore he's done."

"I'm not a child." I tried not to let my annoyance show on my face. I was thirteen now, a man grown even if I didn't yet look it. "Everyone who'se been a groom for Colum MacCullach's gone on to be a master of horse for at least a minor lord."

"Hah, everyone whose survived ye mean. He's a tough old ox 'n quicker than he looks. His mother was a bear you know. Ye can see it in the eyes. An animal he is."

"No...there no way a bear can be..."

"Nah it's true. S'common knowledge." He placed the cup on the bar and went to stand.

"It cannae be that bad." I was shaking a little. My father had worked with MacCulluch when he was a boy. He hated the old man but couldn't deny his skill at horses. If you weren't born a noble in house Vadalis, MacCullach could at least get you an honorable position. At least, that's what dad said.

"Ach, he saved us in the war, that much is true. Shavalant wouldn't be much but a dirt hole ifn' he hadn't stood up with us. Some say he fights like his mamma, all claws and teeth."

"Yer just tryn'a scare me." I said and finished my drink. I was supposed to report for duty soon.

"Nae, he was here last month," the bartender sidled over. "Right here. Some fella'd wandered in, fancied himself some sort'a bandit. 'Get out yer purses' he said, waving around a cutlass. He'd had a woman with 'im too, some sorta mage. Set my fav'rite hat on fire." I rolled my eyes.

"MacCullach busted up one'a my chairs, beat the lad half to death with the pieces. Got hisself a bit singed though, said he didnae like to hit a woman, but after a bit of cinders...well I've never seen a man so angry."

I gulped. "Then what happened?"

"Beat her full ta'death."

"Bit of a temper on that one." The man-at-arms swayed a little, clearly drunk. "Hear'd he'd been called out to Sharn. Dinnae know what they'd want a grumpy old badger out there in the big city."

"Tae gently caress yer mother," came the rough reply. MacCullach filled the tavern doorway, his thick muscled frame was gnarled and pinched with age and thousands of broken bones. His face was lined and worn, but his expression calm and even. "I heard she was a field mouse."

"Oh poo poo!" Exclaimed the man-at-arms. He jumped from his seat and cringed back against the far wall.

"Dinnae worry ye bleedin' idiot. I ain't got a quarrel wit you. My mother WAS a bear, and I do hae a bit of a temper." McCullach looked square at me. "Aren't ye supposed to be at the stables boy?"

"Y...yes sir." I trembled.

"Get to it then. You've got plenty'a stalls ta muck."

"Y...yes." I shot towards the door and the old badger stepped aside to let me pass.

MacCullach turned his attention to the drunken guard. "Mazina says some lord bought hisself a half-fiend horse down in Xen'drik and I ta have a look see. We'll settle up when I get back."

I didn't hear the rest. I was already running full speed towards the stables.

---

MacCullach is a grumpy, querrelous old horseman with a soft spot for babies and people in trouble. He grew up in the Handler's guild and spent more of his life around horses than people. MacCullach has an eye for breeding and is widely considered the most knowledgeable member of house Vidalis when it comes to equines. Although he doesn't agree with the growing trend of magebred animals in Vadalis, he is loyal to his house and understands that soldiers and heroes may need more than a trusty steed.

MacCullach is slower to come to blows than in his youth, but he is not averse to solving issues with his fists. The old badger has no love of traditional weapons and instead prefers to use whatever is on hand to beat his opponent senseless.

I wasn't sure what to put for artisan tools for the Handler's guild. Any suggestions?

I THINK I got everything in here but I might have missed something.

DaemonWyrm fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

That's a good point. I like the idea that maybe he makes some moonshine in his spare time.

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

TychoBrahesNose posted:

he could make high-society dinner parties more of a challenge.

lol, yeah I don't really see him as much of a napkin kind of fellow.

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

Is there a good online character builder for 5e? The guy with that 3.5 has one but it is only from the basic rules.

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

Haschel Cedricson posted:

My character's not for you, he's more of a Shelbyville character. :colbert:

Now, wait just a minute. We're twice as smart as the people of Shelbyville!

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

I'm in, anybody know how to do that?

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

Brewsuke posted:

I'm a scrub who doesn't know how to IRC properly. Someone walk me through it like you would if you had to teach a five year old or a really old person how to use it.

I couldn't get the web client to work but it works on my android phone using andChat. https://www.synirc.net/servers | https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.andchat

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

I don't really know the ettiquette of PBP, is it cool if I stole your format Waador? I really liked the layout you used.

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

Pacific Standard Time here (GMT -7)

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

I've got this school thing all weekend so I might be a little MIA tomorrow and Sunday. I'm still reading and everything when I get a second but...my updates'll be a little short till Monday

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

Incidentally, DaemonWyrm, you rolled two Athletics checks when you should have rolled Athletics and Acrobatics. But your second roll is still a 15 (even without your proficiency bonus), so it’s all good.

Ah crap, I JUST noticed that. Are both Athletics and Acrobatics Dex based?

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

Does an animal handling check like you're talking about count as a "standard action"?

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

Oh no! Colum is at -2!

He (will probably) died how he lived, shouting at monsters while hungover.

I gotta look up the unconscious rules when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

Waador posted:

Obviously, someone will have to actually grapple the thing, but ...

Did someone say hillbilly moonshiner?

• Locked thread