Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I know next to nothing about Eberron, but I've been reading up on the wiki this afternoon and will probably roll up a character in the next couple of days, since I've been looking to try out 5e. Have a few ideas bouncing around in my head but it seems like half-elf is gonna be a popular one with everyone else, so maybe I'll avoid that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Kalud d'Torrn, Wilderness Guide of House Tharashk

11 Therendor - en route to Glumtown

Rainy. Big surprise. Into the fourth day of a trip that should have only lasted two. The rain is usually nice, but the persistent damp is doing little to improve my mood. My ward, some mid-ranking merchant running a cartload of supplies through Glumtown toward Lantern Tower, will not. Stop. Talking. He's with two of his travelling companions -- well-armed, look to be some kind of caravan guards, though novices by the way they hold their weapons and wear their armor uncomfortably. He talks to them constantly, babbling on and on about who knows what, it doesn't matter, he just abhors silence. I've made it clear to him that his voice is carrying, and that this part of the Shadow March is a delicate ecosystem not to be disturbed. He take this as an affront, as he is the paying customer. Had I known about his eccentricity before we left Zarash'ak, I would have refused, but that would be a black mark on the reputation of House Tharashk, and we can't have that, can we?

I didn't want this. I didn't ever want anything to do with the great houses. I would have been perfectly content out here, in the murk, living among nature. But that was not to be! That bloody mark had to go and manifest itself on my back, and in no time flat after that wandering musician caught sight of it, I found myself "welcomed" into the bosom of House Tharashk. My new "family." As if I needed a new one to begin with -- the swamp is my family, its native life my kin.

*scribbled notes written hastily in a different ink than previous* Merchant's blabbering brought the wildlife down on us. Can't say I was sad to see him go.

-----------------------------------------

8 Barrakas - en route to Sharn

That merchant had powerful friends. And to think someone that annoying is capable of having friends? Not long after I returned to Zarash'ak to report back to the House, the higher-ups came to my camp to tell me I had one more chance to make things right. I had another pathfinding job, yet another merchant caravan. This one much larger and better-protected, but still clueless. They won't tell me what they're transporting, just that they don't want to use the lightning rail or an airship, and discretion is apparently of the utmost importance to them and their mysterious cargo -- how great it must feel to have my work relegated to third place behind those unnatural monstrosities? Whatever, they're paying the House well, and it's a long journey through country I've never been through. I'm looking forward to learning about the flora and fauna of Breland as we pass through -- just as long as my company can leave me to my own devices this time!

quote:

Class: Druid
Race: Half-Orc
Personality Traits: I'm quiet and reserved, and all about business. Words only disrupt the blissful symphony of the wild and distract from the task at hand. Unfortunately, the manifestation of the dragonmark makes quiet solitude practically impossible anymore.
Ideals: The most important thing is to live as part of this world without imposing yourself over it as its master. Understand your place in the circle of life, and abhor that which seeks to defile life's delicate balance.
Bonds: Second only to respect for nature is my commitment to duty. I take my job as guide very seriously, and have no patience for those who disrespect my work or my environment. I have a deep-seated distrust and dislike of the lightning rail, both for its destruction of the landscape and for its cheapening of the travel experience.
Flaws: The dragonmark would be considered a blessing for many -- for me it's a curse. I'm not well-adapted to a life surrounded by other people, and unfortunately the dragonmark makes my original dream of a life of natural solitude impossible. Around others, I'm usually aloof and laconic.

HP: 10
AC: 12
AP: 5
Prof Bonus: +2

Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Background: Outlander (Guide)
Languages: Goblin, Common, Druidic, Elven
Size: Medium
Speed: 30ft

Features:
Darkvision 60 ft.
Menacing
Relentless Endurance
Savage Attacks
Least Dragonmark: Mark of Finding
Wanderer

Strength: 12 (+1)
Dexterity: 10 (+0)
Constitution: 14 (+2)
Intelligence: 15 (+2)
Wisdom: 15 (+2)
Charisma: 8 (-1)

Proficiencies:
Light/Medium Armor, Shields, Druid Weapons, Musical Instrument (Drum),
Herbalism Kit, Athletics, Animal Handling, Intimidation, Nature, Survival

Equipment:
Druidic Focus
Hide Armor
Quarterstaff
Explorer's Pack
Herbalism Kit
Sheepskin Drum
-A small drum, intricately hand-carved and stretched taut with a stained sheepskin.
-When played, has a soothing, hypnotic effect on most beasts. +1 to Animal Handling.

Spells
Cantrips:
Druidcraft
Produce Flame

Level 1:
Cure Wounds
Thunderwave

Dragonmark:
Identify
Mage Hand

Hopefully I didn't mangle Eberron too badly. :v:

Edit: updated to include language change. The character sheet linked on my name above isn't yet updated, I'll have this done tonight.

Drone fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 27, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Kalud looks good too -- I can definitely work with this backstory. However, I'm not sure you did the racial bonuses to his abilities correctly -- on top of 15,14,13,12,10,8 (or the equivalent) he should have +2 Str and +1 Con. That is, I think you missed the +1 somewhere.
Also, in 3E Eberron, Orcs speak a separate language from Goblins, but in 4E Orcs speak Goblin, on account of being subsumed into the Great Goblin Empire several millennia ago. I kind of like that idea, so Goblin can be Kalud's native tongue, and you can pick something else to replace the (nonexistent) Orcish tongue.

As an aside, [ pre ] doesn't wrap lines of text, while [ quote ] does, so if you don't want to have lines that mess up the standard margins, switch to using [ quote ] instead. Or just add line breaks in the appropriate place.

Here's how I worked out the abilities at point-buy, maybe I messed something up here?

STR 10 Cost: 2
DEX 10 Cost: 2
CON 13 Cost: 5
INT 15 Cost: 9
WIS 15 Cost: 9
CHA 8 Cost: 0

TOTAL: 27 Cost

Then added +2 STR and +1 CON to arrive at the numbers on the character sheet. Or?

I should have fixed the problems with my [ pre ] now, and I'll replace the Orcish with another language later today once I get access to my PHB again.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Just updated my post with character info (changed a language, since Orc doesn't exist I've switched it out for Elven, since I think that makes the most sense for someone who works outdoors). The linked character sheet will still need to be updated with that info after I get home from work.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Good Lord 10 players :stare:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Are you looking for any particular posting format?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

By the way, we should probably all compare notes on timezones, just so nobody is expecting lightning-quick responses or anything when it turns out the other person is in the middle of sleeping.

I'm Central Europe (UTC+1).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So uhh, I'm just fighting the human guy, right? These predators closing in aren't quite there yet?

Do I need to worry about map placement/maneuvering or anything or is it pretty much assumed that the human and I are already within melee range? And do I still get the bonus to druid stuff from being in this glade?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Are the various goblins who are standing around spectating my fight with the human dude out of range of a 15-foot-cube thunderwave (powered up by the mystical nature of this glade we're in)? They aren't really attacking me now and I'm honestly not sure if they would, but I think if they eat some thunder to the face that might either make them scamper off or turn and fight me. I don't want to hurt them but I'm pretty sure I have no way of not dying otherwise. It'll almost definitely make those predators that are approaching hone in on me faster though, unless they get spooked too...

Edit: a solo encounter at level 1 with both +5 bonus to hit and +4 bonus on his attack roll has a 50% chance to just flat-out one-shot me from full HP, assuming the hit lands.

Drone fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 1, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Good Lord why won't you die

Kinda neat how it's worked out though, considering I made a series of stupid decisions to get in this position in the first place :v:

Edit: argh why the hell isn't Orokos letting me log in.

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 2, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

TychoBrahesNose posted:

So technically, Commander's Strike applies to Kalud's reaction to the human's previous attack, so it should be applied to the first roll rather than the second. Your 13+3 hits regardless, and the 5+3+2 would still miss...unless you want to try dropping an action point on top of it as well? There's still no guarantee of success even with an extra 1d6, but another hit sooner rather than later is certainly to your benefit.

I dunno, is it cheating to switch the Commander's Strike bonus to the other attack, now that we know what the results are?

Ah okay, I just read "extra attack" and not the word "immediate", like it's a reaction attack or something.

And I totally forgot I could use action points that way. Should I just edit it into the post?

TychoBrahesNose posted:

I dunno, is it cheating to switch the Commander's Strike bonus to the other attack, now that we know what the results are?

You're the DM. I know I certainly won't mind but it could set a bad precedent. :v:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Edited in, probably still missed :v:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I'm gonna only have sporadic internet access for the next ~24 hours and not near a computer& rulebook, so I'll post first thing in the morning when I'm back.

But yay I didn't die!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

You aren't running one of the house rules where short rests can regenerate a spell slot or two, are you? I'm kind of at a loss for stuff to do during my turn that isn't just RP'ing my way over to Calum and giving him some emotional support.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

DaemonWyrm posted:

Oh no! Colum is at -2!

He (will probably) died how he lived, shouting at monsters while hungover.

I gotta look up the unconscious rules when I get home.

You'll get stabilized if I have anything to say about it. :colbert:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Just waiting on Drone, djw175, Ryuujin, and epicurius before we get around the batting order to the displacer beasts (and my update) again.

Sorry for delay, will get a post up when I'm home from work in about 9 hours.. have to look some stuff up in my PHB first.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

TBN, I just edited in the Medicine roll, 16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I'm flying out tomorrow morning for a week and a half business trip where I'll have very limited internet time. I'll get some posting done this afternoon, but I dunno what you guys want to do with Kalud until I return on October 9th... I'm open to being NPC'd or blended into the background or whatever's easiest for TychoBrahesNose.

• Locked thread