Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Outrail posted:

Obviously we should become a cook, so we can make noodles and give them to other street kids (and build a loyal army of street rats).

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
I'm for the wandering cook/ditch digger, count mine for both if that wins but if either of the other wins over my vote goes to the winning one

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
I like the Street Sweeper. It reminds me of Lao Tze from Discworld.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cook / Grave digger.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Cook sounds good to me.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Cook.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I hope we get the opportunity to pluck out an evil official's eye with some chopsticks at some point. Or beat the crap out of someone with a pot of noodles.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
Assistant Undertaker :v:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Not to argue against it, but bear in mind that this is an entry-level job, as a young child (we're still about 9). So if we go with cooking we'll probably be plucking chickens or keeping the fire fed or something like that, instead of running our own restaurant.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Cook

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Walking back to the city, you asked Uncle Liu why this amazing sleeping method make you feel so great, and he replies, “I am amaze by your increase of stamina myself! I merely feel healthier for the long years of doing it, but you seem to benefit much greater from the method than I do.” He strokes his beard and ponder, “Maybe I should try doing it at the stone bed too.”

That night, you practiced the breathing method while asleep and you have the most restful night you ever felt as you woke up the next morning fully refreshed. Uncle Liu comes to pick you up again, and this time he pays you back by treating you to Seafood Noodle Soup! Wonderful! Amazing! Marvelous!

When you two reached the dig site, Wright and Rong are already there waiting for you.

“Took you long enough, kid.” Said the annoyed Rong with folding arms. “I could have dug a whole grave while waiting for you!”

“Incontestably true, sir.” Wright said as he stands beside Rong, slowly developing his sarcastic tone for his superior.

Rong smiles and nod approval at his underling, failing to detect the sarcasm. He turns back to you, “Now kid, I heard that dug that half assed hole over there,” He points at the hole, “While it is nothing impressive, I highly doubted you have dug it yourself, so I will be watching you dig the rest of it this time!” He smirks and points at the cart nearby, “Along with your father.”

You grab the shovel, and showed him. Oh yes, you showed him good.

*DIG* *DIG* *DIG*

You have become an efficient machine that can keep digging and not require a lot of rest beside eating and drinking. You have a eat a bit more to accommodate the extra exertion of this non-stop labor, but watching the surprised face that Rong made is worth the couple of veggies buns.

*DIG* *DIG* *DIG*

As time goes by, people begin to arrive here to watch you dig. Rumor of a young filial beggar child who’s digging a grave for his father has spread enough to attract some spectators. Most are the retired old folks who come camping to watch, but around afternoon, people who are release from your job also come with their family to watch. By dawn, you completed digging the grave.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You satisfied your Force Virtue, which earn you the Deed of Force!

+4 Chivalrous Joss!
+4 Entanglement!

Entanglements are free lore points for the person who grants you the deed to spend on things that related to your achievement. So I will spend all 4 points on…

Lore: Home Town
Filial Child
4 Status: Your tragic and touching story has reached the whole town. Your deed inspired many and your filiality becomes the model of how a child should behave. Just not the digging part...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sky is dark, but the surrounding lantern lights from the audience provide you with amble and festive light to see it clearly. They applaud at your completion of your difficult task. Rong walks in pat your back and sucking up to your fame with congratulatory words. You want to say something about him, and to him, but were interrupted by other people walking up to you to praise your success. You even receive offers to work at the local establishments!

Uncle Liu settles down everyone, and makes a heartfelt speech to congratulate the occasion. Many shed a tear as Uncle Liu narrates the sorrowful moment in your journey and how your strong resolve to overcome the difficult task has led you to this point. Everyone gave you a second applause at the end of the speech. Heaven surely would smile upon your action these two days.

A few strong man offers to help carries you father into the grave and even fill it up, and you only make a ceremonial shove of the final soil to complete bury. It is done. The local priest leads the spectators to offer your father a sutra chant for his ascends to heaven and attain true peacefulness. He deserves it.

A few days later, the local governor commissioned to elect a memorial stone near your father’s grave to record your filial deed for generations to come. You were bathed clean and given proper dress for once and Uncle Liu (Or someone else willing) becomes your official guardian to provide housing and proper care for you. You could refuse and stay in the street, of course.

The night of the ceremony, you have a little party in Uncle Liu’s house with your friend Wright. The conversations turns into concern for your future, and Uncle Liu say, “Although only wealthy kid can afford to go to school at his age, I can certainly pay for his tuition. If he wish to learn a trade for his life, it is also good.” When you ask about begging, he frown and replies, “It would be wise to not return to your life as a beggar without good reason. You should always strive to become better and try doing something for the community.”

Wright commends, “This kid has potential, I am sure he can excel at any difficult job.” He looks at you with a smile, “He might even get to be a watch guard.”

Wright stroke his beard slowly, “He certainly have a lots of career path opened up to him. I am sure he will find one he likes in time.” He looks to you smiling, “Boy, with your fame and my persuasion, I’m sure you can get any entry level job in the city you likes as part-time, just go ask around, think about it yourself, and tell me what you want to do for… Let’s say two years.”

You want to…
1) Go to school (Scholar)
2) Waiter/washer -> Cook (Resturant)
3) Waiter/washer -> Cook (Noodle Stand)
3) Waiter/washer -> Cook (Tea House)
4) Work under Rong (Gang, Assitant Undertaker)
5) Grave digger
6) Street Sweeper
7) Beggar
8) Doctor Apprentice
9) Apprentice Buddist Monk
10) Apprentice Taoist Priest
11) Longshoreman/Laboror
12) Shop Apprentices
13) Traveling Merchants assistant
14) Farmer
15) Artisan Apprentice
16) Stable Boy
17) Blacksmith apprentice
18) Stonemason
19) Hunter apprentice
20) Watch guard
21) Delivery Agency worker
22) Street Performer apprentice
23) Animal Breeder worker
24) Storyteller Apprentice
25) Book Copier
26) Street Singer apprentice
27) House Servant
28) Baker
29) Bottler (Alcohol house)
30) Carpenter
31) Miner
32) Clothier
33) Gardener
34) Night soil
35) Messenger/Errand Boy (Within town only)
30) Write-in.

If shady or disreputable job like working in gambling house win, then I will make it happen.

Pick Three Jobs, schooling counts as one.

You can ask anyone any question.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 26, 2015

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
If we go to school, can we still get a part-time job at some of these establishments? Our deceased father seems to have come from a nice background before falling out of grace, so he'd probably want us to go learn.

Working in a restaurant wouldn't be bad, or a grave digger (screw working under Rong). There are just so many options that it's hard to choose! But what's night soil?

e: Changing my votes to noodles/grave digger/school

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 26, 2015

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Poo. Euphemism, back when "sewer" was an occupation.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Nondevor posted:

If we go to school, can we still get a part-time job at some of these establishments? Our deceased father seems to have come from a nice background before falling out of grace, so he'd probably want us to go learn.
Yes, you are taking three of these in the period of two years. We can mix and match the time as we see fits.

quote:

But what's night soil?
Night Soil. Aka Poop collector.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 26, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Noodle stand
Delivery
Street Performer

Being a cook is kung fu movie as hell and the other two allow for hijinks.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Go to School, Doctor Apprentice, Watch Guard

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.
School, cook and delivery agency. Delivery agent will get us area knowledge and face time with all kinds of people. School because it'll make step dad happy and probably be useful. Cooking to kung-fu up tastier species of soup. Or flied chicken derivery.

Kyyp
Jan 14, 2007

School, Cook (Noodle Stand), Delivery

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Ceramic Shot posted:

School, cook and delivery agency. Delivery agent will get us area knowledge and face time with all kinds of people. School because it'll make step dad happy and probably be useful. Cooking to kung-fu up tastier species of soup. Or flied chicken derivery.
This sounds good.

School, Cook, Delivery boy

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

3, 10, 33
Waiter/busing (noodles), Labor (docks) GARDENER, Apprentice Taoist Priest

Working for the noodle stand is a no-brainer, work at the docks to build up an appetite for noodles, and learn about the Tao for something to think about while moving heavy boxes. Plus, it probably will tell us more about chi, the better for keeping up our energy.

School, though, what use is that! None at all, I say.

e: oh god how did I miss Gardener, changing vote for the manual labor job to that.

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 26, 2015

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
I'm bandwagoning on School, Delivery, and Waiter/Cook at the Noodle Stand.

Noodle stand seems like it'd remind us of happier times, honor our father, and give us the chance to help the needy when we earn some cash.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Scholar, noodle shop, blacksmith . Research the recipes (and methods of hurting people), cooking (and feeding followers) and making cookware (and weaponry and earning the respect of those who use them). Three point plan for success.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Noodle Stand, Go To School, Grave Digger

Yes, our father would want us to go to school. Yes, it's only natural that we work at the noodle stand. But I can't in good conscious have us work in delivery when we spent good money on this shovel.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Grognan posted:

Go to School, Doctor Apprentice, Watch Guard

Yes

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
School, Noodle, Grave Digger

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
School, Noodle Stand, and Gardner. We can put this shovel to other uses besides digging graves.

Also in case it's an open question, let's stay with Uncle Liu.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

School, Noodle Stand, and Daoist Priest

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

School, Noodle Stand, and Daoist Priest

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Taoist Monk Apprentice, Delivery Boy, Gravedigger

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
School, Gardner, Street performer.

C'mon guys, gardening! It's a pretty respectable profession that still lets us use our mad shovel skills.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

taoist priest, school, noodle cook

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

pre:
Noodle      	 13
Grave Digger	 4
School		 14
Delivery	 6
Street Performer 2
Doc Appr.	 2
Watch guard 	 3
Cook		 2
Gardener 	 3
Taoist		 3
Blacksmith	 2
Job - Intro
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
You begin your schooling life at the dawn of the day. The school is located at the far west side of the town where the wealthy populates. Although it is a school for those who can afford it, the building itself is quite old and the size of a classroom filled with wooden tables and chairs.

An elderly man walks into the class; he sat down in the teacher’s seat, stroking his white beard as his survey for empty seats. His eyes fall on you as are many others, “Oh? You must be the new student. The… ” He pauses to recall your name…

1) Your father never told you your name; he said he would when he restores your family, but that won’t happen anymore…
A) Write-in
B) Nick name/title, people can call me for what I deserve. Currently, ‘Filial Child’.
C) Liu, as your guardian.

You reminded him, and he replies, “Ah, yes. Welcome to Heaven Fall Elementary.” He turns to the class, “As we have a new student today, this would be a good opportunity to remind everyone the reason for coming to school.” He coughs to clear his lung, “School prepares you to take the decennial Government Tests to get a good job in the government. The better your score, the better job position will be offered. Your wealth and family background, Mr. Li Foil,” He looks at a certain oily haired student in the class, “will not ‘buy’ you a position.”

The boy shrugs with a smug.

The teacher peer to another bulky boy, “Nor will being a good fighter alone get you the position of a general.”

The bulky boy folds his arms in annoyance.

“Ah yes, people call me Know Fuu.” He turns his head back to you, “In here, we learn to read and write, memorized Confucian philosophy, famous poetry, and occasionally paint picture. You do not learn advance math or how the world works, as those are for merchant, accountant, or priest to explain their inner intricacy to you.”

Satisfied with the syllabus of this class, the teacher begins the class.

Learning Roll: 0 9 1 5 7 0

Result: 20

:stare: Once again, the sixth dice that you got from your chi training helped you succeed and also...

When you get a set of zero, I can involve ‘Interesting Time’. It’s something else that was unforeseen or unintended happened as a result of the roll’s action. Interesting Time will not negate your success or failure, just complicate it. If you accept Interesting Time on a success roll, you get Chivalrous Joss. On failure roll, it makes things worst, but you gain a Malicious Joss for the trouble.

2) Do you accept Interesting Time?
A) Yes
B) No
C) ALWAYS INTERESTING TIME!

Note: You have 5 Chivalrous Joss and can only hold 5 more. You can spend Joss anytime.

Example of Interesting Time for Success:
*Your mighty attack pushes away your opponent just as intended, but he smashed into a nearby house which collapses. You can hear the cries for help from those within.

* Your impressive speech has made the locals see how corrupt the magistrate is, but perhaps a little too well. The next day, shady figures follow you back to the inn…

*While searching for information, your friendly compliments towards the lady at the noodle shop have been entirely misunderstood. Her husband would like a word with you…

------------------------------------------------------------
The school is over by noon. You went to your noodle job at its busiest time. It’s the time where you always begged near the restaurant, so you never get the chance to see this place at its peak activity.

All tables are filled with people, most being the laborer kind that talks loudly and rowdily.

A muscular customer shouts, “Hey, Nood York! When are you starting the show?”

The noodle chef shouts back, “Hold your horses, you muscle toe! I got an apprentice coming to learn the art!”

“An apprentice!? You found someone who will learn your weird cooking!” A scholar interjects with a jest.

“Hey! Don’t call it weird, you guys enjoy it!” Nood retorts in jest, “And that kid wants to learn it himself! I could care le-“ He spotted you, “Oh, there you are!” The customers turn to you, whisper of ‘Filial child’ can be heard as you walks toward the chef.

“What!?” The muscleman barks, “Won’t that grave digging curse the noodle?” A round of laughter erupts.

The scholar reply, “No way, this is the filial child! He is clearly blessed by heaven. Maybe you would be more filial to your old mother if you ate his noodle!” Another round of laughter erupts.

Nood gesture you to sit at the front and say, “Alright, kid. I will show you why all these people here come to eat my noodles instead of the one in the restaurant!” He brought out large dough on the cooking table.

“Because it tastes better!” A chubby man in red shout.

“You got that right, Cartman!” Giving the man a thumb up, Nood continues, “See, a few years ago, I would be kneading, rolling, and gently caressing this dough into a thing of beauty. “

“And then I pissed you off!” The scholar laughs with pride.

“And then he pissed me off!” Nood repeats as he suddenly punches the dough as hard as he could with fury. He grabs the unflattened end of the dough, lift the whole thing up and repeatedly slam it like a bludgeon weapon. “It pissed me so bad; I started beating the crap out of this dough like it has murdered my family!” He stretches the dough wide like an upside down rainbow start spinning it with centrifugal force for a dozen second. “I thought it would scare him off for good,” He presses the dough back into the ball. “But guess what? People treat it like a street performance where I beat the poo poo out of this dough and I got myself an audience.” He toss the ball high in the sky, “It’s great stress relief and people like the show and-“, he grabs the cutting knife and air slice the falling dough a few times before it land in three pieces. “The noodle will be very smooth after this rough treatment.” He concludes as he chops the pieces normally into fine noodle.

The scholar says to you as he pulls out a fan to fan himself, “If only the restaurant chef bothers to stretch the dough to such degree, I wouldn’t have to go through this outdoor heat to eat this delicately fine noodle.”

“This is why Noodle York doesn’t have a wife!” The muscleman joked and laughter erupts with applause.

The rest of the cooking process is relatively normal. It’s repeated a few more times for most of the noon hour to satisfy the demand. The result, however, is noodles of divine elasticity and flavor!

Nood nods at his masterful creation and say to you, “I am getting old, so I can only do this once a day at noon, which troubled everyone who rushes here for the real thing.” He folds arm, stood straight up high and look at you with a serious look, “Boy, do you want to learn how to beat the noodle out of a dough?”

You nod hard.

“I can’t hear you!”

“Yes, sir!”

“Say it louder!”

“YES, SIR!”

Nood nods. “Good.” He points at the large bucket of unwashed bowl. “Now go wash the dishes."

You wash dishes for the rest of the day.

Every day off from school or holiday is when you get to work as the delivery boy at the Steadfast Door Delivery Agency. It surprised you the first time you visited the place to be a large walled private building with iron gates in the front with guards standing from dawn to dusk and from dusk to dawn. Insides are well-armed employees and mercenaries waiting for the next mission to deliver things or individual who is too valuable to befallen into the hand of bandits. This is where the agency comes in; it offers protection by armed man to bring your valuables or you to place afar for a fee. Reputation is a must for this kind of business, for losing the trust of its customer could mean the fall of the company. Of course, not all jobs can be completed safely, and in those cases, its standard practice to pay five to ten times the item’s worth to the owner or a large amount to the deceased person's relative, all to salvage some of the agency's reputation for the failed mission. It’s a serious business that does not tolerate failure. Thankfully, you are only tasked to deliver mundane letters or low value parcel to the local within the city.

The job help you get to know the city better and meet a lot of people. Your fame as the filial child makes it easy to make acquaintances with people.

Thanks to your delivery job, you have a greater sense of the city layout and know a lot of people.

You can try to ask any questions to anyone in the city and they might answer.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 29, 2015

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
1: B
We don't have a name, so like everything else in our life, it must be Earned.

2: C
May we live in interesting times.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
1) Your father never told you your name; he said he would when he restores your family, but that won’t happen anymore…
A) Oda Nobunaga

2) Do you accept Interesting Time?

C) ALWAYS INTERESTING TIME!

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
1. B
2. C

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

yup

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I agree, our name should be Earned.

Earned the Filial Child

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

sounds good to me

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
BC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
2A
I'd like the option to skip Interesting Times if it would be more interesting for our character to definitely succeed. As it is, failing or struggling in school could be fun.