Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Again! Again!

Rules
Primer

Game 1

What?

Keyflower is the meanest game about preparing for the winter that you've ever played. A staggeringly good combination of worker placement, bidding wars, and downright nasty area control, it takes players through four seasons as they bid for and use village facilities in order to generate and move around resources in order to score victory points. The real crux of the game is that you aren't restricted to only using tiles that you control - you can work other people's tiles instead, or even those still in the bidding offer. Any workers on your tiles at the end of the season go back to your pot, so having a lot of people using your facilities will give you more population for the next phase of the game - but the cost of working a tile goes up as more people use it, so you have to pick your moments in order to try to block your opponents and not get screwed out of whatever it is you wanted to do. As if this weren't enough to balance as it is, players will also need to bid for new workers and their position in the turn order, and manage the colours of workers they have in order to get the most use out of them.

So what's the plan?
  • COs are encouraged. Please feel free to put several moves in order of preference.
  • After thinking about it, I will not display known meeples, partially because there may not be space to display them all and partially because man, I'm doing enough work here. You want to track them, go wild.
  • Actions in bold in the thread. Please use 'use' or 'bid' because if you use 'place on' I will pick whichever would benefit you least.
  • As ever, shittalking, audience posting, and questions are all a-okay.
Recruiting
  • This will be a 4 player game.
  • Newbies are welcome, just expect to get mauled. Like everyone else. No-one actually ever thinks they're good at this game.
  • PMs are required. Sorry! I need to keep your inventory secret, after all. As in most of my games, your inventory will be a dropbox link that autoupdates as the game goes on.
  • Recruitment will be open for 24 hours, after which time selection will be by random draw. Huge thanks to Bubble-T for hooking me up with tile images - if he wants a slot, he is getting grandfathered in for the work involved.
  • I would like players who can check in at least once per day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I want in this time, last thread was a great read.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Count me in to watch!

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I'd like a spot! I'm so excited to get a shot at it!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
gently caress YEAH COUNT ME IN

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Oh man hope I make the cut for a spot, your last pbp made me import the game :pray:

Millions fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 13, 2015

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I'm just going to watch as the players devolve into hate and madness.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'm looking forward to watching this one from the sidelines.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Lurking

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Lurking and Grimacing

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lurking and hoping for some amazing outbids.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Lurking and hoping for those 7-meeple bids on Keythedral and endless rage. What expansion(s) you using, if any?

I should break out my copy for tomorrow .-.

Also that illegal Apprentice Hall placement will forever be mildly infuriating.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Awesome. I bought Keyflower after seeing the first thread and have played a dozen games since, so I'll be watching this one as well. Thanks for setting this up.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Count me in for a spot. I've always heard great things about this game.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Count me in please!

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Lurking and judging

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
As the former winning (tied) champion, I reserve the right to poo poo-talk any and all current participants, just because.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

ETB posted:

As the former winning (tied) champion, I reserve the right to poo poo-talk any and all current participants, just because.

racist

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Why are so many people lurking this time? Is Keyflower that intimidating? Wusses.

Our lucky four are:

Bubble-T
Broken Loose
Baron Fuzzlewhack
Millions

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

That said I'm a little busy tonight, so Spring will begin later on this evening.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
:hellyeah:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SPRING

Everyone draws 8 workers. Player's village inventories have been sent via PM - these files will autoupdate throughout the game.
Every player draws 3 winter tiles. Again, these will be on the inventories. Players will eventually have to add 1-3 of these to make up the winter draw.
Every player gets a Home tile.
The spring tiles are drawn.

Please take it in turn to bid or use tiles, starting with Bubble-T. Mark them in bold so I see them! Please feel free to use COs prior to your turn, or else if someone's posted their turn and you're next and not interfering with them at all, please feel free to add your turn so that I can update both at once. The player's names in the corner indicate which side of the tile their bet will be placed on.

64 keyples left. 42 skill tiles left. 20 greens not in circulation.
Player Order: Bubble-T - Broken Loose - Baron Fuzzlewhack - Millions

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I want all of you to know that I have no yellow meeples, and please go easy on me (this is my first time).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I am really excited to see BL play this here game. :3:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Broken Loose posted:

I want all of you to know that I have no yellow meeples, and please go easy on me (this is my first time).

No pity for the weak.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Thoughts on the tiles thus far:

Christ, at least we're going to get greens this game. Which is great but doesn't quite match bob's 1/90 chance of pulling the only green in the bag.

I was honestly not certain if starting a game of this would be spreading myself too thin but in terms of an effort-to-satisfaction ratio Keyflower is way up there when it comes to running. Someone's offered me Keyharvest and Keywhatsit tiles but I don't know those ones at all.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Keyharvest was a lot of fun, but vastly different and has a whole lotta tiles; exactly one for each space on the board. Probably harder to run tbh.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Also that is a very red Keyflower coming in at end of season.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Key Harvest would probably the worst to run, in terms the amount of work to do compared to the payoff. It's also least mean of the Key games that I've played, and where's the fun in that?
I'd say Keythedral requires about the same amount of behind the scenes work as Keyflower, and Key Market only really needs someone to keep track of the hidden resources.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The vast bulk of Keyflower work was in cropping and cutting the tiles out of the scans onto a transparency background. At this point I just have a big ol' GIMP file with a layer for tiles, a layer for bids, a layer for resources. Each update is 'drag relevant graphic to gimp, make sure it's on the right layer, merge down, repeat'.

That said:

YEAH UH I'LL PASS

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I mean it's not that bad I guess? You just need four identical scans of the player boards, and individual scans of each of the tiles, and then just move them onto the layer above it in photoshop or whatever.

Still, way more work, and I *like* the game. It's a lot like Uptown (or blockers), vague area control in the form of bidding on tiles since each tile is strictly unique and goes in a strictly unique place.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

One shining, glorious day in the future, I will run Android and then maybe I'll think about it.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Bid for first boat choice with 1 Red keyple.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Use Peddler with 1 Red Meeple.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Let there be greens.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

There can't be greens, BL has no yellow. He said and everything.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

65 keyples left. 42 skill tiles left. 19 greens not in circulation.
Player Order: Bubble-T - Broken Loose - Baron Fuzzlewhack - Millions

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I've given Baron a bit of a poke.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Forgive me, for my weekend became a work week. I won't be able give this (or anything really) more than a cursory glance until tomorrow evening but after that it'll be smooth sailing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ooh, sucks. No worries! This is a good time for any new players (or audience) to check rules questions.

• Locked thread