Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CrashCat posted:

Go on and tell someone who's dying that they should have their only weekly get togethers in a hovel so you can drive on nice roads while you blow through a place nobody wants to live. If there's enough people zooming through town on a regular basis they might pay police to catch speeders to pay to maintain it, but good luck otherwise.

Hey I'm not saying its possible, I'm just pointing out how all the money seems to flood into the same kinds of institutions that result in a less well off small town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I hope Jesus comes back soon and sorts this out

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

what you don't realize is lovely roads is the first defense these bad towns have against jade helm troops trying to march in. you can't drive a convoy in if there are potholes big enough to swallow them

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Jastiger posted:

Hey I'm not saying its possible, I'm just pointing out how all the money seems to flood into the same kinds of institutions that result in a less well off small town.
Yeah, it's one of those things that seems like it would be so easy to fix, but equilibrium would settle right back there even if you managed to get them to pretend to fix it for a time. The small town governments would rather waste their time with useless but less controversial things like whether they can have another sign on the drive through at the Wendy's or if some guy can build a shed in his backyard because it's too close to the house per the Shed Not Too Close To The House Ordinance of Nineteen Aught gently caress

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i wonder if there's a way to capitalise on their death

vacuums don't last long here on earth

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Lichy posted:

buy property in cities

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Xaris posted:

buy property in cities

lol easy

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I'm just chilling here in my lakeside villa on Elysium. All play no work, hop in the healing machine every morning, pussy on tap. I think I'll go order an emperor-sized blunt and a blood orange soda from the replicator before I sit down and watch Netflix for a while during business hours brb.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Amarcarts posted:

I'm just chilling here in my lakeside villa on Elysium. All play no work, hop in the healing machine every morning, pussy on tap. I think I'll go order an emperor-sized blunt and a blood orange soda from the replicator before I sit down and watch Netflix for a while during business hours brb.

that sounds like a good rear end day!

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
What's that? You got trapped in some machine making robots for me and got super-cancer? drat that sucks bro have a nice life. *Zooms off in Electric Blue Lamborghini Spaceship*

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Lichy posted:

vacuums don't last long here on earth

all the land will be bought up by agri industries and serve as the testing grounds for their gmo monstrosities. urbanization will increase dramatically as rural hick cousinfuckers holdouts are finally forced to abandon their dead communities as roving hordes of monstrous vegetables devour their families.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Hydrogen bomb all small towns imo

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Small town guy from Illinois checking in to say that (most) small towns own. I live close enough to bigger cities (meaning 12k+) to get all of the pros but live far enough away to avoid all the cons.

I'll gladly sacrifice being able to get any kind of food delivered 24/7 to not have to pay out the rear end for a decent house and yard. Sure mowing a big as gently caress back yard sucks but it's better than staring at the back of a neighbor's apartment all day that I'm paying $2600/month for.

Having been in many big cities I will admit though, being able to walk 20 feet in any direction and get ANYTHING I could possibly want (looking at you San Francisco) is pretty freaking cool...but paid parking can SUCK MY DICK. Being able to just park wherever you want to for free is a small town redneck part of me I'll just never be able to shake.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 14, 2015

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tyson Tomko posted:

Small town guy from Illinois checking in to say that (most) small towns own. I live close enough to bigger cities (meaning 12k+) to get all of the pros but live far enough away to avoid all the cons.

I'll gladly sacrifice being able to get any kind of food delivered 24/7 to not have to pay out the rear end for a decent house and yard. Sure mowing a big as gently caress back yard sucks but it's better than staring at the back of a neighbor's apartment all day that I'm paying $2600/month for.

Lol move to Des Moines, bottom tier scrublord. Literally all the pros with none of you punk rear end cons.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i wish i lived in a small town :(

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I moved from a town of 3k to a town of 2k and believe it or not it was a huge upgrade just because of the nearby non-small as poo poo towns. The small town atmosphere is the best. I can cruise over to St Louis/Indy/Chicago/Nashville easily enough on a weekend if I want to do something wild but I'm perfectly fine chillin in my small town most other days.

I can't wait to see what happens when teleporters are invented, that poo poo will be interesting.

Also since someone mentioned H-bombs. One advantage of not living in an LA or a New York is knowing that the odds of you getting directly nuked are slim to none.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
the only person to ever enthusiastically dine on the famed iowa chop

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Grew up in a small town (<2k). School systems were great, crime rate was effectively nonexistent. Everybody knew everybody, left their poo poo unlocked.

Everyone was also extremely xenophobic, racist, homophobic, and largely uneducated. The only people I grew up with who stayed there were the al bundy types - life accomplishments peaked in football (played exclusively against other small all-white towns, which is to say played very not well), now work manual labor jobs, drink budweiser, and talk about how Obama done gonna take away all their guns.

Really the only thing I miss about it is that you could go to the bar (the only bar, there was one) on a Friday night and there'd still only be maybe 15-20 people there. I went back to house sit for my folks for a week and wanted to off myself due to the incredible, mind numbing boredom and the fact that every stained wife-beater wearing POS would take one look at me and give me a "y'ain't from around here, is ya?" look.

So small towns - good for safe reputable school systems and separating self from brown people, bad for life, sanity.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Moridin920 posted:

for real stop moving to CA assholes go to TX or something

you're gonna end up in food service living paycheck to paycheck just gently caress off already clogging my freeways up

ppl from AZ coming here in droves

not right now w/ that collapsed bridge on 10

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tyson Tomko posted:

Also since someone mentioned H-bombs. One advantage of not living in an LA or a New York is knowing that the odds of you getting directly nuked are slim to none.
"Not being nuked" is not at the top of my list when it comes to decisions about where I live but this is a fair point; unless you live near nuclear silos (North Dakota) or any significant military base.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I moved to a small texas town from east plano last year, plano was terrible in its own ways but there were drugs aplenty and there were so many people in the metroplex, you were nobody to loving everybody and it was nice to be confident that nobody knew your name or had ideas about who you are and what you do, and loving nobody cares about you. It ruled.

In small towns everyone thinks they know you. You're either friends with people you hate or they hate the poo poo out of you for reasons that may never be disclosed.

Basically small towns can suck my loving taint

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

hemophilia posted:

I moved to a small texas town from east plano last year, plano was terrible in its own ways but there were drugs aplenty and there were so many people in the metroplex, you were nobody to loving everybody and it was nice to be confident that nobody knew your name or had ideas about who you are and what you do, and loving nobody cares about you. It ruled.

In small towns everyone thinks they know you. You're either friends with people you hate or they hate the poo poo out of you for reasons that may never be disclosed.

Basically small towns can suck my loving taint
What town did you move to.

What I learned about the Dallas burbs is that they're homogeneous and depressing on the surface but there's so many fuckin people that there's all the cool poo poo, you just have to know where to look (and have a car that will take you there).

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

comes along bort posted:

the only person to ever enthusiastically dine on the famed iowa chop

Be sure to cap IOWA CHOP!!!

I wish we could put one of those all year round cameras in a small town in like..Iowa, then Alabama, Idaho, New YOrk and just do a ten year long video of that poo poo, or have it take a photo at the same time every 6 months.

It'd be interesting to see what happens to the towns as increase urbanization forces them into irrelevance.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Omi-Polari posted:

"Not being nuked" is not at the top of my list when it comes to decisions about where I live but this is a fair point; unless you live near nuclear silos (North Dakota) or any significant military base.

Agreed and agreed. I doubt any of us get nuked any time soon but if it does happen, even if we get dozens of them thrown at us I'm reasonably sure I'll be good for a while.

Big cities and small ones have their pros/cons for sure, and in all seriousness it really depends on the person. I'm definitely a live in small town and visit a big city kind of a guy but different strokes for different folks.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Small towns really depress me. The life, the values, the culture - all of those are contrary to who I am regardless of the qualities of the actual people that live in those small towns.

My grade school was K-8; I went there from 1st through 8th grade. It was a big brick 4 story building in this tiny, tiny, TINY town. From Wikipedia: "According to the 2010 census, (town name deleted) has a total area of 1.506 square miles (3.90 km2), of which 1.44 square miles (3.73 km2) (or 95.62%) is land and 0.066 square miles (0.17 km2) (or 4.38%) is water." During my time going to that school, the building became so expensive to run that they built a new building next to the school and had all classes K-8 in one big room with dividers - K, 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8.

It was horrific.

I can't help but think how different my life would be if I would have been exposed to a greater diversity of people before I went to college (you know, other than white, poor, and xenophobic - I don't even want to use the word 'racist' because there weren't any minorities around for miles and miles - I can't think of too many people of my generation that exhibited actual racism or bigotry, but the parents sure would). I lived in the middle of nowhere, several miles from that town where I went to grade school. My high school had 500 students combined for all four classes (freshman through senior), and those students came from 6 or 7 towns. In my first two years of high school, I was always made to feel inferior because of where I went to grade school. And then I went to college - nobody there ever made fun of me for being a rube, but they didn't need to. I felt incredibly out of place until I acclimatized to the multicultural environment.

After college, there was no way in hell I was going to go back to that small town life. I don't even really have anything bad to say about the people I went to high school with, because by the time I graduated I had plenty of friends. But I've not gone to a single reunion - and this last year was the 25th class reunion for the class of '89. I just can't bring myself to go, even though people would want to see me there.

God drat I hate small town life.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jastiger posted:

Wow you're kind of a condescending rear end in a top hat, but cool I guess

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Don't worry guys we have token liberal jastiger here to tell us what's up and how to run our community all will be ok

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

Don't worry guys we have token liberal jastiger here to tell us what's up and how to run our community all will be ok

clearly someone has to because they aren't so well off as it stands

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
My town is pretty nice and the same size as Des Moines. But if you MUST come, bring money and water.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFPdHPdbv4Y

Texas and Iowa come together :clint::respek::sherman:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Whats w the weird Iowa inferiority complex. Does Des Moines even have an airport?

Des Moines has an airport, and you can smoke in it. That's like the one good thing about Ohio.

e: oops, Des Moines is apparently in Iowa. Whoopsie. I was thinking of the Cleveland airport, I think. Salt Lake has smoking areas too it's p cool if you want to ruin your lungs on with poo poo your grandparents knew was a carcinogen while waiting for your flight.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
good! small towns are poo poo. We should live in megacities

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Good. People in urban areas vote liberal because of exposure to new ideas and cultures.

Small towns are the breeding ground of paranoia, xenophobia, and racism.

Death to rural America.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Good. People in urban areas vote liberal because of exposure to new ideas and cultures.

Small towns are the breeding ground of paranoia, xenophobia, and racism.

Death to rural America.

small towns shouldn't be allowed to have cable. They would be much happier, and so would everyone else

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

small towns shouldn't be allowed to have cable. They would be much happier, and so would everyone else

do you want them to revolt?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Toadvine posted:

do you want them to revolt?

they tried that once. didn't work out so well for them

naem
May 29, 2011

I'd like to buy a whole small town and build a wall around it and name it BONER TOWN and give all the houses a theme like Disney only its BONERS ha heh

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

i lust for small town death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

naem posted:

I'd like to buy a whole small town and build a wall around it and name it BONER TOWN and give all the houses a theme like Disney only its BONERS ha heh

what do boner themed houses look like?

• Locked thread