Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

SquadronROE posted:

I think Amazon basically just wants to get insanely "engaged" employees through a brute force methodology, right? They hire thousands of people and weed out anyone who isn't willing to dedicate 100% of their life to working there, and they motivate those people... somehow? Do they just pay a shitload more than other companies in the area?

Meanwhile, real sustainable engagement is difficult to do. If you ask talented tech people why they stay at a company, you'll find that it's hard to really define.

To answer this, Amazon has a... reputation in Seattle for being a lovely place to work. Lots of money to start, terrible raises, no life. So much of the hiring is done out of state, by heavily recruiting fresh graduates from flyover states.

I work in tech and used to work with(not for) amazon, and I would never take a job with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Working 60 hours a week is retarded. The trick is to be ultra productive, and fit 60 hours of work into 30.
I will never understand the drive to work more than absolutely necessary. Plan, Automate, Relax is my guiding philosophy.

• Locked thread