Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
To me, by far the most interesting part about that article was the Anytime Feedback Tool (basically a system that literally encourages you to snitch on anyone at any time to their boss). This seems like an insanely naive thing that some libertarian would implement without understanding the social and human dynamics behind it, am I completely off base about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

-Troika- posted:

Part of the shortage of tech workers are dumb hiring requirements, as well. No one wants to run some company's entire everything for 25-30 grand a year.

Uh, yeah they do, they're called "everyone living in a third world country that has IT skills". Hence H1-Bs.

nachos posted:

Much like how America is full of temporarily embarrassed millionaires, tech workers are temporarily embarrassed CEOs in the gig economy. People are taught to pay their dues and gain experience until they can find their passion and be their own boss or whatever. Nobody is going to dream of starting the next Uber while simultaneously pushing for unionization.

Exactly, unionization is the literal complete antithesis of lottery startup culture - it means admitting that you'll never "make it". Unionization will never happen in the tech industry until that aspect is removed (lol).

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Do the people that post these things ever step back and say "now, why would someone want to work here based on what I just wrote"?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
"We're looking for HARDCORE unemployables, here."

(lists 15 bullets of must-have personality traits)

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Well considering that "more vacation than most Europeans get" puts you at somewhere between 3x-10x the amount of vacation that Americans take on average (probably more than that when compared to "rockstar" devs), sounds like you're being compensated well, just non-monetarily.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

that's just the top of the top playing the prestige game by grossly overcompensating workers. also a lot of these companies are in extremely expensive cities and have to pay a large amount to offset not only relocation but housing millenial graduates in the places where they want to live. tech startups that aren't awash in VC or are located off the coasts have much more reasonable starting salaries

Good point that most of these places are in cities with insanely high COL. When you adjust a $120k salary down to even what it'd pay in Denver (a highly desirable city), you're talking about $90k or so a year, and that'd be $75k-80k in a city like Indianapolis. That's still a good job, just not gross overcompensation (for highly desirable workers).

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

My Imaginary GF posted:

That pay isn't there for the sake of the employee, its there because such pay allows tech employees to accumulate social capital on their own time at a greater rate than suburban life, which can then be monetized to a higher degree by the company.

Considering that the every Valley firm endeavors to keep people on-campus as much as possible, either by hook (Google) or crook (Amazon), I'm curious to understand why you think that helps develop social capital "on their own time" (which they have none of).

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cicero posted:

I have no idea what this means.

Marginal value is an economics term that describes the value the last unit of anything has over the penultimate unit. I'm guessing PTD means that the marginal value of a developer is less than their marginal cost to hire.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Can we please move the loving union discussion to another thread, it's been beaten to death numerous times and isn't nearly as interesting as discussing the NYT article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

twodot posted:

If a thread presents a problem, but disallows discussing the solution, then what is the point of the thread? Are we just here to say that Steve, the low level manager at Amazon, who keeps calling Joe, the employee, at 1am is a jerk?

No, we're here to explore how the behavior exposed in that article is endemic to many American workplaces to varying degrees. You know, discussion. "Solving" things isn't ever going to happen here, sorry.

• Locked thread