Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheBalor posted:

Actually, since it came up: can anyone explain what is the likely future of the current tech valuation issue? I've been hearing for years that companies like Twitter are immensely overvalued, but the other shoe never seems to drop. I'm getting china stock market blue balls here.

First it's important to differentiate between startups (like Twitter) and more established companies like Amazon, Google, and the like. The latter probably won't have many issues when this bubble pops.

Currently, startups are funded by venture capitalists (VCs), which are basically rich guys that give you money in the hopes that you become the next Google or whatever. The status quo for the past few years has been venture capitalists dumping money at anything tech related because everyone else was doing it (thus continuing the cycle). This is how you get things like Uber having revenue of $420 million and having expenses of twice that amount.

These days, there has been a slow and quiet drawdown of the VC money, because it turns out barely any of these companies actually make tangible revenue (Facebook is a notable exception, as are a few others). Once the money really runs out you're going to see Uber et all close, and a whole bunch of coders are going to flood the market looking for jobs.

Nonsense posted:

I wouldn't want any kind of market correction on tech companies as I do not desire another deep recession.

Actually the great thing about tech companies is that there are relatively small numbers of people actually working at these companies. Like, 10% of the number of people working at them during the Dot Com bubble of 15 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This job posting is infamous in the IT industry:

I think that if you wanted to unionize IT workers you'd have to change the terminology to sound like it came out of Warhammer 40K.

Union? No, we're the local 207 Techno-Artificers Guild. Based on my seniority, I'll be promoted to Adeptus-Sysadminus in less than a year!

Oh, I thought that was the Penny Arcade one.

quote:

Job description
**** PLEASE NOTE: YOU HAVE UNTIL DECEMBER 20, 2013 AT 9:00 PM PST TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION. PLEASE FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER AT @RKHOO FOR UPDATES IN CASE EMAIL GETS SENT TO SPAM FOLDERS, ETC. ****

Given our audience and the job at hand, this could potentially be the most competitive position we ever hire for. We're looking for a web developer / software developer / sys admin to join our small family. We’re a team of 15-20 people that essentially run Penny Arcade proper, the online store, our fulfillment center, the PAX shows, Child’s Play, PATV, and a bunch of other smaller things that no one ever hears about. We rely heavily on outside partners and vendors, but as far as managing and helping run/deploy the technical infrastructure to most of the things we do, we rely on one person. That person is you.

So yes, we run lean. Most of us would say maybe a little TOO lean, but being pushed to your limit is part of the job. I'm not saying that to try and scare you away OR impress you, but it's in both of our best interests to understand and set expectations properly. If you have boundless energy and desire to work on both creative AND sometimes tedious work but in an environment that just might change your life, perhaps this is the opportunity for you.

We are quite literally looking for a person that can do four jobs: Web Development, Software Development, Sys Admin, and the (dreaded) GENERAL IT for us here that need help configuring a firewall for a dev kit, etc. Sorry, I know that’s the WORST, but it’s absolutely part of the gig.

So yeah, we know that’s a lot to ask of a person, but all of us here work tremendously hard to do a lot of things, and if you’d like to be at the technical epicenter of it all and don’t mind having a really bad sense of work-life balance, this is the job for you.

Desired Skills and Experience
General Requirements

- You need to have a crazy-person level of attention to detail.

- Strong project management skills, organizational skills and time-management skills.

- A motivated self-starter who can overcome or workaround issues independently.

- Flexibility to travel up to 30% of the time.

- You should have no problems working in a creative and potentially offensive environment.

- Flexibility adapting to deadlines, changing schedules, priorities and unpredictable events in a fast paced environment.

- The ability to communicate and work well in a team environment as well as on an individual basis.

- Must have the ability to prioritize tasks and balance the immediate and long term needs.

- You should have no problem appearing on camera.

- It’s rarely we call on it, but if something breaks in the middle of the night, you are expected to be on call to address that issue 24/7.

Some things you should know about this job.

We’re terrible at work-life balance. Although work is pretty much your life, we do our absolute best to make sure that work is as awesome as possible so you at least enjoy each and every day here.

And here are some other things we’re using to weed people out. It’s not fair. I know. Life’s not fair.

- A BA/BS or greater degree in Computer Science or a related field

- A minimum of 3 years in development and project management, preferably in a professional workplace

- Strong experience in PHP, MySQL, Javascript (jQuery and AJAX), CSS, Apache

- Strong experience in one of Java, Python, Ruby, or other object-oriented language

- A history of running and configuring multiple-server environments, including load balancers, web accelerators/caching systems, and databases

- A history of running and configuring multiple server environments, load balancers, and varnish.

- You should probably be a fan of Penny Arcade. Probably. Yeah.

COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:

- Annual Salary: Negotiable, but you should know up front we’re not a terribly money-motivated group. We’re more likely to spend less money on salary and invest that on making your day-to-day life at work better.

- Full Medical, Vision and Dental

- 401k (SEP) retirement contributions (2% of annual income per year)

- Holiday pay

- Periodic bonuses

- Flexible vacation time

- We're willing to relocate you if need be

Send me your resume via the linked in system. If you don't submit your resume, I won't look at your application. Sorry - I gotta streamline the process.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SquadronROE posted:

Every single time I see what leading software companies pay new grads, it makes me want to start drinking. I'm an engineer in a really hard to recruit for field and I make about half that with bonuses. It's insane.

That's generally how you can tell that a field is unsustainable. Like, Petroleum Engineers also make six figures right out of college but there's a reason for that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SquadronROE posted:

There's an exam for software engineers?

Yes.

https://cdn.ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/SWE-Apr-2013.pdf

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

etalian posted:

Probably doesn't help that companies like Tesla are run by weirdos who can't understand why a employee would want good work life balance and consider vacation to be distractions from the glory of work.

Vacation, seeing the birth of your child, stuff like that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

twodot posted:

My experience is that this is true, but then a lot of people get home and log into their work computer remotely and are sending email at all hours. Concrete data would be good if you have it.

With those parameters it's much closer to 72 hours a week.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Your Weird Uncle posted:

what are all these "devs" gonna do once the bubble bursts

They're gonna drive down wages.

SquadronROE posted:

I actually am a programming engineer. Even though I understand it, it still amazes me that some new grads make that much.

My dad is a geologist and he teaches Petroleum Engineers (or did until recently). They start out of college making $10k more than what he did after 30 years in academia, and he made six figures. poo poo is just as crazy and pretty much for the same reasons.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 19, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Typo posted:

idk dude, I don't understand why every time an IT industry thread comes up people think everyone who program is some spergie. Most people who are in the software industry are 30+/married, have families and life outside of work and are there mostly to collect a paycheque.

I'm interested in demographics of workers, do you have any links about this? Particularly the Bay Area if possible.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ChipNDip posted:

The Bay Area is not the whole world. Less than 10% of developers work in the Bay Area. Throw in Seattle, and we're still talking less than 15% using the most restrictive occupation code of Software developers, applications and systems software . Plenty of people we would consider to be working in the field fall into other job classifications according to the government.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/occupation_age.htm

For the country as a whole, Software developers, applications and systems software , Computer programmers , Computer systems analysts , and Computer occupations, all other, the jobs categories which pretty much cover most people we would call "developers" or "rockstars" or whatever term the industry decides it wants to use today all have a median age in the early 40s, with the median age of the workforce as a whole at 42.4. Additionally, around 35-40% are between 45 and 65. That's roughly the same as the workforce as a whole, which is pretty good considering that hardly anybody is going to be in that field before age 22-23. Remember also that some older workers will have transitioned into management.

And what about the Bay Area specifically?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Almost as though political affiliation is not one dimensional.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

It's at least an independently forming idea since that doesn't explain the similar phenomena in Asia.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Typo posted:

I think that's true of the general American population as well though

socially liberal and fiscally conservative is a pretty popular political position all around since the 1990s, it's not something restricted to STEM fields

It's popular among certain classes of white people.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ChipNDip posted:

Who cares? They only make up a fraction of the industry. They just get all the attention because mobile apps are sexy and interesting.

10% is a fairly significant portion of the industry.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I've finally joined this venerated brotherhood of highly-educated and trustworthy individuals who are vetted by licensing boards that are governed by law. Time to get to work on my dumpster fuckbuddy app

I'm a computer doctor.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Paradoxish posted:

This is actually backed up by data, for what it's worth. Working long hours is bad for your health, and I suspect that the negative effects probably extend into the regular 40 hour work week as well.

I seem to remember 8 hours being around the peak output, so not so much.

What is true is that there's a decrease in productivity per unit time if you don't work long enough - in other words, someone who works for two hours will get more than twice as much done as someone who works for one hour.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Paradoxish posted:

Not sure I follow what you're saying here. The article I linked is discussing a study on the health effects of working more than 40 hours per week, not productivity. It boils down to an increased risk of strokes and cardiovascular disease.

Oh, well then yeah any amount of exertion will cause health effects but I don't know if it's actually seen in significant/troublesome amounts before 8 hours/day (discounting obvious things like skipping lunch).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

etalian posted:

It's only useful for certain types of engineering such as civil in which signing off final drawings and other types of design documents is common place.

By which you mean legally required.

• Locked thread