Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Relin posted:

There's a glut of tech workers right? And they themselves don't seem to want to unionize. Perfect conditions for exploitation.

And they tend to be paid well enough that they don't see how a union would benefit them, which is funny because even with their high salaries, the top developers are probably undercompensated compared to the value they create for the big tech firms.

Of course, the threat of that is why all the tech companies are so big on opening the visa worker floodgates, so they can have an endless stream of South/East Asian developers to depress wages to almost nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Xaris posted:

Probably. Though the "value" (valuation) for tech firms is unrealistically and unsustainably crazy to begin with though. I suspect in actual valuation, it might not be that out of balance.

Sure, sure. But that disparity is probably why so many jump on the startup lottery. Why work at a job that's grinding you dry when you can be your own boss and at least have a chance at being king of your own little overvalued kingdom?

Actually, since it came up: can anyone explain what is the likely future of the current tech valuation issue? I've been hearing for years that companies like Twitter are immensely overvalued, but the other shoe never seems to drop. I'm getting china stock market blue balls here.

• Locked thread