Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The experience is pretty variable for devs at Amazon. I worked there for two and a half years and was definitely not overworked, nor did anyone on my team or related teams at Seattle seem to be overworked. Occasionally there'd be some crunch prior to launch, maybe a couple times a year, but an average week I'd work 8 hours a day including lunch. Part of that may have been being a device team (Android stuff) because that means there aren't any servers to constantly manage, if there's a big problem the best you can do is push out a fix with the next patch.

There were a few people who consistently worked overtime, but it seemed to be because they were ambitious or really cared about their product, not because they were pushed to.

Now, the devs in India did seem to work insane hours, and people who had to coordinate with India often had to do phone meetings at awful times, but I'm not sure how fixable of a problem the latter is given the time zone difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

SquadronROE posted:

Quoting this so it gets attention on this page. This is really interesting, and I wonder how different peoples' experiences will be. It may come down to division by division leadership, I know that a culture is really based on the leader of the organization you report to. Some managers and mid-managers may be really strongly in favor of a work-life balance, since it's the only way to sustain employees with high morale.
It's definitely team specific, but I think on average developers tend to have it easier than people on the more businessy side, because developers have become very difficult to replace. Amazon does pay quite well*...to start. And then they stiff you on raises as hard as possible if the raise isn't part of a promotion.

* Compared to other leading-edge tech companies they're probably average, maybe even a little worse, but they still have new college grads making like 120k their first year between salary and signing bonus.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

foobardog posted:

I went to an engineering college, and on career fair day, I ran into an aeronautical engineer who was bummed because there were no jobs for him, and even though Boeing had come, they were only looking for software engineers.

The demand is way over the top, and I'm not sure how much it is warranted based on market value and how much is speculation.
I agree that the level of demand from top companies seems pretty crazy these days, but what do you mean speculation? Programmers at your company aren't a resource that you can sell off to another company at a profit.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

ntan1 posted:

You know as well as I do that 120k post salary + signing bonus is pretty low for total compensation for a tech salary at one of the giants, after 1-2 years.
It depends on which companies you're including as 'leading-edge'. Everyone's got their own definition. Google and Facebook definitely pay more, MS pays similarly, not sure about Apple. If you go down into companies like Yahoo, Adobe, Intel, then Amazon probably compares favorably.

quote:

I hear that Amazon also tends to skimp on raises, causing people who have been at the company for a long time to receive less in total comp than somebody who was just hired to that level.
That's...exactly what I said? And yeah that happened to me.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Popular Thug Drink posted:

prestige is the better word i think. like "we pay top dollar for top talent!" when the marginal value difference between the best programmer and the second best probably isn't like $50k
I have no idea what this means.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

SquadronROE posted:

I have to wonder if this is going to be continuing or if there's going to be some sort of influence to depress wages again. Maybe the push to get more people in on visas will make competition for devs less?
Starting a few years ago I think you started seeing more and more college students picking CS, at least partially because of the big salaries you hear about. So there may just be a time lag here before a big flood of new CS grads get on the market.

Radbot posted:

Considering that the every Valley firm endeavors to keep people on-campus as much as possible, either by hook (Google) or crook (Amazon), I'm curious to understand why you think that helps develop social capital "on their own time" (which they have none of).
I think people greatly exaggerate how many extra hours your average Googler works because of the benefits. I think many progressives go out of their way to do it because it fits neatly into a narrative of companies always being horribly oppressive. I mean it does help you work more a little bit, but I don't see most people working regular overtime.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

SquadronROE posted:

I've only ever been through the hiring process for principal engineers and senior engineers, so I only know it's super hard to find candidates that are good. A glut of recent CS grads won't solve that, because it takes time and experience to be a good engineer.
We were talking about how salaries even for brand new engineers seem unreasonably high, though. Even if high cost of living areas, there are very few professional careers that will pay well into six figures for new college grads, I think.

Eskaton posted:

Well, if they're okay with it, is it really a problem?

I mean I can think of quite a few professions that could unionize before this.
Yeah, I mean personally I'm not anti-union in general, but I'm already paid so much I really don't see the potential benefit.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

There is but AFAIK almost nobody cares, mostly I hear about it when real engineers complain that software engineers are not, in fact, real engineers.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

You can sell off contracts, no problem. HP is doing it right now.
You mean selling off contracts around deliverables, not employees, right?

An Angry Bug posted:

That's because those employees are easily exploited short-sighted idiots who need to be protected from themselves.
lol

Amazon employees aren't children, thanks. If their working conditions suck, they'll learn their lesson and move on.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 18, 2015

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

I mean that half of HP's employees will now be working for a different company than the other half.

Even ignoring splits, it's really really common to buy companies or product teams more for the personnel than for the actual contracts/deliverables/etc. The term you're looking for is "acqui-hire".
Yes I'm well aware of acquihires. The original statement doesn't make sense though because the employees aren't captive. They can just quit whenever they want (and employees do quit, all the time). Speculation would be paying them more than they're really worth right now because you think they'll appreciate and you can use their increased value later, but devs hop jobs too often in tech for that to work.

The high salaries are, I think, a manifestation that even junior devs really can be worth that much, and that one of them may turn out to be a genius who does something incredible is useful but not the primary motivator to paying well.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

BlueBlazer posted:

Also not true you can quit whenever you want, most people can't do that.
But you know who can do that? Highly-paid software developers in a booming job market, which is who we were specifically talking about.

quote:

you will never get Dev's
Why are you using apostrophes like this and capitalizing devs?

quote:

(Who can't seem to define what they actually do half the time)
Software developers code and do supporting code-related tasks (design, debugging, code reviews, testing, etc.).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I basically agree with you, I think you're just missing the original context for this sub-thread, which was a non-programming engineer expressing dismay at how much more new software engineers (at some companies) make than him. That then turned into a discussion around "why do even very junior programmers at these companies make so much money?"

For example, new grad engineers at Amazon and MS are starting at like the 120-130k range, Google is like 150-160k (and Facebook is probably the same or a bit more).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

BlueBlazer posted:

Meh your right, just so much worker rage lately.

How many junior programmers actually make that much though out of a pool of newly hired? My gut would say there are edge cases that have examples of exceptional work that's immediately identifiable as marketable ideas.
Yes and no. Those are edge cases in that only a relatively small number of newly graduating CS majors will get jobs that pay that much. But it's not an extreme edge case, either; those companies* each have got to be hiring in the hundreds of new grad engineers each year. And look at how many new CS grads there are, annually:

So hiring by these BigTechCos is, while nowhere near the majority, still a non-trivial share of the overall hiring scene. And my experience is that very few junior software developers already have done exceptional work prior to graduation. I personally don't know anyone from my time at Amazon and Google who you could really say that about. I'd imagine that most of the real college coding superstars are probably founding their own companies (although they may end up at a big tech co later via acquisition).

* And there are others that undoubtedly pay similarly, like Apple and Yahoo, and a lot of successful later-stage startups like Dropbox, Uber, AirBnB, etc.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Typo posted:

idk dude, I don't understand why every time an IT industry thread comes up people think everyone who program is some spergie.
It makes it a lot easier to express your distaste for them if you pretend they're sufficiently abnormal.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 19, 2015

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair that is partly because they seem to be kind of dim and really selfish,
On the other hand, a lot of leftist D&D'ers seem jealous and filled with impotent, childish rage.

For example:

BlueBlazer posted:

That paying sperglords a disproportionate amount of money compared to their peers creates a sense of entitlement and disconnect from the world at large?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Typo posted:

Those ranges seem way too high to me, I know people who started around 100k but those estimates seem to be 30-50% too high
Nah, it's gotten pretty cray cray recently:

quote:

Company: Amazon
Number of previous internships: 1
Former intern: Y
Degree: B.S.
Base salary: 100,000
Signing bonus: 31,000
Stocks: 76,000
School: Top 15 CS

quote:

Company: Google
Number of previous internships: 2
Former intern: N
Base salary: 100k
Signing bonus: 0-15k (location dependent)
Stocks: 250 RSU's / 4yrs

Company: Amazon
Former intern: Y
Base salary: 96k
Signing bonus: 27k/20k (yr 1/yr 2)
Stocks: 63k / 4yrs (5%, 15%, 40%, 40%)

Company: Microsoft
Former intern: N
Base salary: 105k
Signing bonus: 20k
Stocks: 50k / 3.5yrs
https://www.reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/2i8m1d/share_new_grad_compensation_packages/

More on Google:

quote:

For Graduate:
Base : $100k
Variable : $15k(15% Base)
Joining Bonus : $10-20k
RSU's : 250 over 4 years

For Post Graduate:
Base : $105k
Variable : $15.75k(15% Base)
Joining Bonus : $10-20k
RSU's : 250 over 4 years

quote:

New grad BSc 2015:
Base salary: 100k
RSU: 325 units
Signing bonus: 50k

quote:

New Grad SWE
Base pay: $115,000
Joining bonus: $10k-$20k
RSUs: 250 units over 4 years

quote:

New Grad (B.S.), after negotiation (with counteroffers)
Base: $105k
Bonus: 15+% of base
Signing bonus: ~$55k
RSUs: 325 units / 4 years
http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-salary-for-new-grads-starting-at-Google-in-2015

Keep in mind I'm factoring in that Google gives annual bonuses that average ~15% or so.

Also there was a bit of a movement recently at Google where someone started a form/spreadsheet for people to share their salaries. This is public info now because of drama that erupted around it. In any case it makes it pretty easy see roughly what people are making at different levels.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

I was just about to respond with this and I didn't say liberal/conservative but "fiscally conservative". You'll find that those in STEM are okay with gay marriage, legalized weed, sex outside marriage but flips when you have things like social security, socialized medicine, etc
I thought we were talking about the tech industry, not all of STEM. My impression is that even on non-social issues techies seem to be somewhat liberal on average*. Granted, the places I've worked in as a software developer are NYC, Seattle, and the bay area, so that undoubtedly colors my perception.

* Yeah there's more libertarians than average too, but I don't think there are that many of them, they're just really loud. And I think they tend to be more pragmatic, too; techies with libertarian leanings in SF, for example, are probably still cool with funding public transportation.

• Locked thread