Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

A misanthrope posted:

i never have to mow a lawn or shovel a driveway

i've never had to fix a thing

renting is neat

I used to be like you, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
my wife wants to buy a house but its her money? im gonna say OK

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
tbqh i am excited to have a place to care for. i like caring for things, maintaining them and making them better.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

goons are lazy and take no pride in anything, not even their own manhood

good thing manhood is a social construct

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Justin Tyme posted:

goons are lazy and take no pride in anything, not even their own manhood

good thing manhood is a social construct

well it used to be

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Who changed my title I'll fight you

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Professor Tomtom posted:

Who changed my title I'll fight you

Should have had title insurance.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Justin Tyme posted:

I would have prayed for you to come home safe as a finance clerk who for some reason did foot patrols in the hairiest part of fallujah. Also lol at the thought of public service being an idiot idea but thaaaaaaat's goons! (It is an idiot idea, you're right :ssh:)

And yeah I agree something needs to be done for higher education in this country but it's not exactly hopeless currently as long as you play your cards right and focus on exactly what you want and how you plan to get it.

It used to be the top 60% of intelligence of all Americans had a pretty easy time with "the american dream" with just the minimum required amount of work. The bottom 40%, as always, struggle, make bad decisions, and end up in a poverty cycle. As you can see with the squalor in housing projects, some people even manage to gently caress up having their entire life paid for.

Since the Bush Recession things got a little harder.... Now only the top 50% still have an easy time because of growing competition in the workplace, but unfortunately that window shift cut out the swarms of internet averages who thought they were smart and now think it has all gone to poo poo because they can no longer be fuckups and still get by.

The top 50% is still a lot of people, though, it's just not quiet as easy as it once was. Poor millennials.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

live in a van, chums

yolo etc

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

The millennial generation has no concept of permanence. Relationships, jobs, work-- all is fleeting. They grew up in a world where they closed a video if it didnt entertain them in the first 5 seconds. Of course they cant commit to anything.
life is fleeting.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

GORDON posted:

It used to be the top 60% of intelligence of all Americans had a pretty easy time with "the american dream" with just the minimum required amount of work. The bottom 40%, as always, struggle, make bad decisions, and end up in a poverty cycle. As you can see with the squalor in housing projects, some people even manage to gently caress up having their entire life paid for.

Since the Bush Recession things got a little harder.... Now only the top 50% still have an easy time because of growing competition in the workplace, but unfortunately that window shift cut out the swarms of internet averages who thought they were smart and now think it has all gone to poo poo because they can no longer be fuckups and still get by.

The top 50% is still a lot of people, though, it's just not quiet as easy as it once was. Poor millennials.

lemme guess which half you're in

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Horniest Manticore posted:

lemme guess which half you're in

You're probably correct.... the non-stupid-fuckup half.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

GORDON posted:

You're probably correct.... the non-stupid-fuckup half.

how'd i know you'd say that

it's kinda like everybody who reads atlas shrugged assumes they'd be one of the special people who'd go off and leave the plebs alone to die

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I bought a house 4 years ago in an area where they were kicking out all the coloreds. It's now worth twice as much. I sold it in a day earlier this week. Going to use my $150k in equity to buy a clapped out house cash in a new colored frontier.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Horniest Manticore posted:

how'd i know you'd say that

Because you recognize the skillz.

Also have never read Atlas Shrugged.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
My house was a foreclosure, and the prior owners paid 225k for it and put in granite counter tops. Then I got it two years later for 149900 and the government also gave me 8k for free. Feels good man.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Einstein posted:

My house was a foreclosure, and the prior owners paid 225k for it and put in granite counter tops. Then I got it two years later for 149900 and the government also gave me 8k for free. Feels good man.

Yeah but instead of saving for a house you could have bought and smoked a bunch of weed.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

GORDON posted:

Yeah but instead of saving for a house you could have bought and smoked a bunch of weed.

Legalize it!

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
i own a place and rent, best of both worlds

tenant pays my mortage and any maintenance can be written off via tax
anything wrong with where i love, landlord takes care of it, plus I can walk to work in 5mins.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

The millennial generation has no concept of permanence. Relationships, jobs, work-- all is fleeting. They grew up in a world where they closed a video if it didnt entertain them in the first 5 seconds. Of course they cant commit to anything.

Lol if you don't recognize that all of life is fleeting, permanence is an illusory concept, and that every aspect of your existence will inevitably end. Living is a constant flux you homownerd.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Minimalist Program posted:

I used to be like you, friend.

What happened mate

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

GORDON posted:

yeah but if you own a house then you can grow a shitload of weed in the house and then you can smoke that weed or sell it too if you want i guess

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

GORDON posted:

Pls kill youreself

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

thathonkey posted:

Pls kill youreself

I will right after I get this tat and put in my eyebrow ring and massive gauge thing in my ear because I have a job interview at the bank so I can get a job and buy a house but I will smoke a bowl before I go to the interview because I don't want to be all uptight for it.

It isn't fair that baby boomers make it so i cant find a job and get a house, though.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Skeleton Ape posted:

Yeah, owning a house sounds pretty good but I might have to do some work and take some goddamn pride in the place I live. No thanks, not for me. I mean could you imagine? Mowing a lawn? Lol

unironically sounds terrible

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

it is important to be tied down to property because everyone knows you take it with you when you die

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

GORDON posted:

Who says I didn't do that too?

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

A misanthrope posted:

unironically

*takes off cool posting glasses*
But seriously though,

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Skeleton Ape posted:

*takes off cool posting glasses*
But seriously though,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like the idea of a thread about home ownership and I think that this concept is one that GBS could achieve, but I don't think this thread is very good, sorry.

• Locked thread