Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose the next Two-Fisted Fantasy game
This poll is closed.
The Forge of the Cocksmith 15 22.39%
The Treasure of Skytrap Temple 10 14.93%
Void Racers 21 31.34%
goku 21 31.34%
Total: 67 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Two-Fisted Fantasy was a gamebook series that was around for the 80s. It was basically a cheap knockoff of the Fighting Fantasy series of books but it had its fans, until it went out of business in suspicious circumstances in '89. Only a few copies of their works survive to this day - one of them was The Sword of the Bastard Elf, which I inflicted on you a little while back. Well, today I came into possession of three more of their titles and would like your help in picking which one to run with next. It'll take a week or two to get prepared after the voting's done but this time I won't let grease fires, a nerve-damaged hand or scanner issues stop me from scanning in a book.

I'll run the most popular of these choices and some time after the thread is concluded I'll post up the fully playable video game version which I will make in order to preserve these precious nuggets of nostalgia.

You are being offered a selection of Two-Fisted Fantasy books. Do you choose:

The Forge of the Cocksmith (#8)

Set on one of the Demonic Planes, in this adventure you are a journeyman Cocksmith, servant to a demonic Phalloknight. Your master has received an order for a complete suit of armour for his phallic lord and its steed, but suddenly dies in mysterious circumstances. Now you are in line to get all the wealth and glory and be granted the title of Master Cocksmith - but only if you can beat the other aspiring cocksmiths in gathering the plans, tools and special equipment at the forge. Play as an ancestral spirit (temporarily) inhabitating a goblin, an evil old crone, an immortal skeleton or a gang of four ruthless pixies - but beware because the characters you don't pick will be racing against you and trying to sabotage your efforts.

The Treasure of Skytrap Temple (#10)

A drunk in Bilgeton's Hoary Boar spills the beans about a great treasure hidden in the distant Skytrap Temple. Far in the mountainous North it has never been plundered, but that's about to change. Set out with your band of adventurers, find the Temple, evade its dangers and seize the riches for yourself. You can choose to command a customisable party of humans and dwarfs from Bilgeton, a skeleton workcrew, a band of goblins and batfolk or a pack of wolfmen and barbarians. TIme is of the essence though because this drunk has told everyone, and the groups you don't pick will also be on the trail.

You've chosen

Void Racers (#11)

You are the intrepid captain of your civilisation's only long-range spaceship. Pursued by an implacable enemy that has wiped out your home planet, your mission is to seek out and colonise an inhabitable world rumoured to be somewhere out there in the dangerous and uncharted Void Nebula. Play as the remnants of four spacefaring civilisations: the United States of Humanity, the robotic Disco Alliance, the Catte Empire or the reptiloids of the Cayman Republic. Assemble your crew but be warned - not only are you being pursued but the other species are also racing into the Void!

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Skytrap Temple looks like fun, also there are titties. I vote #10.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Forge of the Cocksmith

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Void Racers sounds exciting! It's time for FISTS. IN. SPAAAAAACE!

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
hard to vote against a cock smith if we're being honest

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad

Claven666 posted:

Forge of the Cocksmith

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I like adventures set on the lower planes, so the first one.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Robotic Disco Alliance is a great name and I wish I had thought of it.

Having said that Forge on to the Cocksmith

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
The Treasure of Skytrap Temple 'cause I've got a feeling that I've played The Forge of the Cocksmith and Void Racers before.

edit: Wasn't Void Racers thought to be quite risqué for its day with all the space organs?

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 23, 2015

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Guys I know one of the titles has the word "cock" in it and that is a funny word but we just did a fantasy one, let's go sci-fi for the next one. Let's get our Void Race on.

e: also I am preemptively voting we do a Catte run

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Voidracers, no doubt about it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Gotta go with Goku. Let's see that Toriyama style.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hogge Wild posted:

The Treasure of Skytrap Temple 'cause I've got a feeling that I've played The Forge of the Cocksmith and Void Racers before.

edit: Wasn't Void Racers thought to be quite risqué for its day with all the space organs?

Void Racers is still considered risqué but mainly for being horrible. You may be thinking of Applewhite's opus Space Tits and rear end which was pretty risqué for 2015.

loquacius posted:

Guys I know one of the titles has the word "cock" in it and that is a funny word but we just did a fantasy one, let's go sci-fi for the next one. Let's get our Void Race on.

e: also I am preemptively voting we do a Catte run

Yeah once you get past the use of the word "cocksmith" five times every paragraph it's another fantasy slog but the characters are unusual, especially if you do a pixie run.

All of these are going to be a bit shorter than The Sword of the Bastard Elf but you'll get a complete book out of it so you can replay options we don't take in the thread. I'll be using something like Undum to put that together but I can also make a PDF of the full gamebook if the interest is there.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
I would love to play Voidracers, since I like Two Fisted Adventures and Space T&A.

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED
Void Racers

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Yessssss

The d&d sounding one Is my first choice but the whole time I was reading bastard elf I was guessing the next theme would be space so my vote goes to the void.

Cock Smith has a nice premise but cock and phallo jokes are too oglaf for this sophisticated e-society.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Let's race the void.

I died to the trans-gendered space kraken 4 times in a row!

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Gilganixon posted:

Void Racers is still considered risqué but mainly for being horrible. You may be thinking of Applewhite's opus Space Tits and rear end which was pretty risqué for 2015.

That was more of a one hand tightly grasping fantasy

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I ripped so much of Space Tits's mythos off of what little I remembered from Void racers. I think GBS deserves to see the source material.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
void racer x

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
void racers sounds loving boring

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe
Voidcock Skytrap

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Void Racers is in the lead by a pretty large margin so I thought it'd be worth telling you a little more about it.

Some sketches from the 2FF forums:

From left to right:

• The United States of Humanity was formed early in the 21st century in response to America's overwhelming social, cultural, economic and military dominance. Rather than struggle the people of Earth adopted US language, customs and freedoms and pledged allegiance to President John Ellis Bush. Human spacefarers are rugged individualists but collectively are extremely paranoid and prone to space madness of all kinds. Combined with their constitutional requirement to open carry, life on a human space vessel can be pretty dangerous.

• The Robotic Disco Alliance is made up a collection of self-replicating machines from a planet where calculators evolved before organic life. The only thing that they share is a deep love of synth and electronic dance music. Many light-years from home and running low on spares and skilled mechanics, malfunctions and breakdowns are common among the crew, many of which are heavily armed or of vital importance to the functioning of the ship. The Robots have an advantage over the meatier races in that they don't need to go into suspended animation for trips between star systems, which means they're less likely to wake up dead after decades in the deep freeze.

• The Cayman Republic is a planetary hereditary oligarchy made up of grotesque, inbred crocodiles. Inheriting terrible genetics along with their wealth the Caymans are prone to abhorrently greedy, stupid and short-sighted behaviour. However, their technology is the best money can buy, even if the crocs left all the best engineers back on the home world to be destroyed along with the rest of the planet.

• Finally, the Catte Empire is a military caste system of intelligent predatory species held together by little more than threats of violence. At the top of the system are the terrifying Cattes. They preside over a surly crew of Badgers, Owls and Foxes. Carrying out the majority of the low-status manual work of engineering, cleaning and being eaten are the lowly Rats and Mice. The Catte Empire lasted for hundreds of years on the homeworld but can the balance be maintained in space?

Luckily we get to play as the captain rather than these engineering schlubs. I may be remembering this all wrong so we might find things a little different when we open the books.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 24, 2015

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Claven666 posted:

Forge of the Cocksmith

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Forge of the the Cocksmith

I must know his lore.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
no im not

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Agag posted:

Forge of the the Cocksmith

I must know his lore.

They're a race of giant dick demons that are organised into a feudal system. The knights spend all their time warring with each other for honour and lands, taking time out only to raid the other dimensions for slaves and serfs to tend to their estates and provide the food, armour and labour needed to support the Phalloknight in a lifetime of war and training for war.

The Phalloknights Errant are the lowest rung, usually unlanded sons (don't ask me how these things breed). They do most of the raiding for slaves and are constantly jousting to make a name for themselves. Above them there are Phalloknights of the Realm of various stature depending on the quality of their lands, then Barons, Counts and Dukes which wage war on each other ceaselessly and provide the justification for a lot of the Phalloknight warring and questing.

Basically it's Crusader Kings with evil, armoured Likpas. In Forge you're a high-ranked slave for a regular Phalloknight hoping to gain the attention of your lord and his superiors with your skills.

Lot of words about dicks right here.

Pick posted:

no im not

):

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Skytrap Temple is a tricky one.
It's like an old Sierra game in book form in that bullshit traps out of nowhere insta-kill you

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

freelop posted:

Skytrap Temple is a tricky one.
It's like an old Sierra game in book form in that bullshit traps out of nowhere insta-kill you

It's not that bad but you have to be really careful about your party composition. If someone you need gets skewered you can be locked out of winning, and the time limit is really tough.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Void raiders

with Captain Kerk, space hero

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I wrote a little bit about the other two books but not much about Skytrap, thought I'd fill you in on that while waiting on the poll.

Forge is focused on crafting (finding and combing items like we did in Sword of the Bastard Elf) and Void is about ship and crew management but Skytrap is about leading a party through a quest. At the start of the adventure you roll your main character and pick out your party from a bunch of cards available to each team. In each battle or situation you give a task to each character and this gives you a lot of flexibility in how you do things. Characters can be wounded or killed and you may encounter new people to add to your group as you go along.

At the start you can pick from four factions: Human, Skeleton, Goblin and Wolf Tribe, each of which have different abilities.

• Humans: A party of humans and dwarves (as well as halflings, pixies and some other garbage as options) from Bilgeton. They have the best equipment available at the start. The humans are armoured footmen and knights and the dwarves are skilled thieves and traders.

• Skeletons: Some of Aggie's skeletal workers. They're effectively immortal (can't be killed in combat or in most other ways) and don't need to eat or sleep but move a bit slower than other groups, especially when damaged.

• Goblins: A motley collection of Goblins, Bat-folk, Dark Elves and other subterranean scum. Weak but very tricky they start with an extra party member and each of them has a special ability.

• Wolf Tribe: Sacred werewolves, acolytes and timber wolves from a forest-dwelling human tribe. Very good at combat but not very balanced in skills. Can eat raw meat safely which means finding food is easy for them.

While a lot of the gameplay is about beating the other groups to the treasure it's also about managing your party and interactions between characters. The game book sometimes checks if two people are present in the party and many characters have abilities similar to Karol's from Sword of the Bastard Elf where you jump forward to a different paragraph if you see a certain word or phrase.

Anyway enough from me about the books, I'll wait out the poll and just answer any questions that come up in the meantime.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Hell yeah, goku is neck and neck with Void Racers. It's been ages since I properly read through goku, I'm really looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Hell yeah, goku is neck and neck with Void Racers. It's been ages since I properly read through goku, I'm really looking forward to it.

Void Racers wins. I reckon it should start mid September, stay tuned.

Sucks because I had the entirety of Goku scanned in and ready to go. GBS is always full of surprises.

• Locked thread