Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Your neighborhood lover of PUZZLES and PURE NONSENSE!

Welcome to my first Let's Play! I'll be playing the original 1986/7 Legend of Zelda, but rather than play it normally, I'll be playing it randomized.

Randomized? What do you mean by that?
On March 14, 2015, someone by the name of Fred Coughlin released a utility called Zelda Randomizer that lets you feed a Zelda 1 rom into it and it will spit out a new rom where different things are different.

What kind of things?
You can specify what kind of things are randomized. Some of these things include cave locations, item locations, enemy locations. It won't change the layout of the overworld or the general shapes of the dungeons, but from what it can change, it makes for some interesting changes.

What's the point of this LP then?
I want to show off how this utility can breathe new life into such an old game. I aim to do a few runs with different settings enabled to show just how a few subtle changes in placement can greatly change the order in which things need to be done.

What if I haven't played the original Legend of Zelda?
I suggest that you go play it before watching this LP. I know the layouts of this game like the back of my hand and tend to speed directly to where I need to go and not wander around like someone who would be playing the game their first time. Certain aspects of the LP and the randomized nature of these runs might be a little weird if you have never actually played the original Legend of Zelda.

So, should I expect perfect runs in this LP?
Lord no. I know the general layouts of the game, but I'm not an absolute expert at actually playing the game. I will get lost and die occasionally, especially in the later runs in which any enemy can appear on the overworld and all the caves are randomized. That being said, I'm not an absolute novice so I won't be flailing around willy-nilly.

Is there anything else I should know?
After I finish a run or two, I'm going to let you people decide what the next run would be. I'll let you all decide how you want to see me suffer see how the next runs go so I'll be asking for things like which quest you would want to see, what kind of settings you want to see enabled (these can be seen here , and other things as well. I'll also occasionally go over strange quirks about the way the original Legend of Zelda works.

Enough chatter. Let's get onto the LP itself!

Run 1: Preset: Dischord (Seed: 1122334455)
Here is what changes in the Dischord Preset:
  • Shuffled caves, dungeon items, shop items, ladder heart, white sword location, dungeon drops, dungeon rooms, overworld monsters, dungeon monsters, and others
  • Changes number of hearts needed for the various swords
  • Changes where secrets under Armos Knights are located.
  • Recorder warps to new dungeon locations
  • Adds extra blue candles

Episode 1: A good introduction to Zelda Randomizer. (i.e. I beat one level, explore other ones, and aimlessly run around looking for anything resembling progress.) EDIT:Now with louder sound.
Episode 2: Door repairs, items that make the game easy, and Gohmas who couldn't care less about things like solid objects.
Episode 3: Well that was abrupt... Note: Sound is off. Should be fixed soon. Sound is fixed.

Run 2: Preset: Mass Hysteria (Seed: 1324354657687980) [ABANDONED]
Here is what changes in the Mass Hysteria Preset:
  • All the shuffling of the Dischord preset with the addition of shuffled warp points and starting sword cave.
  • Level 9 no longer requires having all 8 triforce pieces to enter
  • Ganon must be killed in order to rescue Zelda
  • Dungeon start spots are randomized and enemies and bosses within them are also randomized.
  • Viewer requests: Helpful Hints, Mixed Quest Overworld, Random Character

Episode 4: Wizards have no sense of right, wrong, direction, or hitboxes.
Episode 5: Zelda Randomizer can be a real rear end in a top hat.

Run 3: Preset: Mass Hysteria (Seed: 1357924680)
Same as Run 2, but with the addition of a new mechanic added to the new version of Zelda Randomizer and the loss of helpful hints due to me forgetting...

Episode 6: Let's try this again...
Episode 7: We might actually make it this time!
Episode 8: Dodongos are weird, yo.

Hope you enjoy!

Lolo De Puzlo fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Cheez posted:

You've got really low audio again for some reason. The intro part is lower than when you actually start playing the game, also. If I had to solve that problem quickly and easily I think you should normalize your audio track or something.

Hmm, I specifically checked to make sure that wasn't the case. I think my sound card was boosting my audio without me realizing it. I'll see if I can fix it.
Edit: Yep, that was the case. Didn't realize that my sound card was automatically boosting my volume. I should be able to fix that.
I'm uploading a new version now with improved sound. I'll edit the main post when it is up.

Lolo De Puzlo fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 23, 2015

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Regarding the commentary when sped up, I thought the commentary that was sped up was more banter than anything important so I figured that not much would be missed. I also thought about putting music over the sped up parts, but I didn't know if that was considered annoying or not, so I might do that in later updates. I also do live commentary as I feel that my post commentary feels too wooden. Maybe now that I know the software I'm using a little better, maybe next video I'll try post commentary again.

I might also switch the microphone I'm using as the one I was using (Blue Snowball) is really quiet even at the highest volume. Again, that's something to experiment with.

quote:

Apart from that, it all looks interesting. There were a couple parts where I had "uhh what" moments, like fighting that dragon guy over some stairs in the first dungeon. And this is from a preset? Ohh boy this is going to get weird.
Wait til I find Dodongos.Those thing have only a partial understanding of how water works.
And yes. It does indeed get weirder.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

CirclMastr posted:

What was the key trick you mentioned in level 1?

It only really applies in Level 1 of the First Quest in the original game. But with the Randomizer, it can be done in any dungeon where the top door of the first room is locked.
When you walk into a dungeon that has the top door locked, if you immediately walk out of the dungeon and back in, it will unlock the door without a key.
It also sometimes works if there is a bombable wall in the first room, but only on the sides or something I'm not totally sure.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

oldskool posted:

This seems like a cool concept, but I don't know how you're actually supposed to complete the game when necessary items can be located literally anywhere.

The randomization algorithm is smart enough to never place an item in a spot where it would be unobtainable. You might have to level hop in order to find a needed item which might mean you have to go to a harder level like 6 or 8 under equipped, but the game will never be unwinnable.

I've probably played about 10 different randomization and never had one where it is impossible. Annoying? Oh yeah, especially if you do 2nd or Mixed Quest runs. But never impossible.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

It's new episode time!

Episode 2: Door repairs, items that make the game easy, and Gohmas who couldn't care less about things like solid objects.

If you were confused on what I was talking about with the Darknuts, here is a graphic by Lackattack24, taken from the awesome Zelda 1 and 2 site, https://redcandle.us (Hover over the spoiler to see)

Lolo De Puzlo fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 29, 2015

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

How does the recorder work in this version - is it updated to travel to the actual randomized dungeon location?

You can set it up to warp to the old dungeon locations or the new dungeon locations. Pretty much every preset that randomizes caves except for Standard Race warps to new dungeons.
It's also possible to set up the Power Bracelet fast travel warps to new locations which usually ends up glitching the map in odd ways that don't break the game, but make it look real weird.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

CirclMastr posted:

I have the magical sword, 14 heart containers, and all but three Triforce pieces. But I can't find the bow, ladder, or raft, so I'm locked out of the back half of most dungeons. And the power bracelet isn't in its normal place so I have no idea where it is.

If you are playing a preset that has the Shuffle Armos Knights enabled, it will shuffle not only what would be underneath the Armos Knight, but also which Armos Knight the secret is under. For example, in the run I'm showcasing, the Power Bracelet was in the same room, but underneath the top left Armos Knight rather than the top right one. So, if it isn't underneath any of the Armos Knights in that room. Go to areas where there would be something hidden under an Armos Knight.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

SystemLogoff posted:

That Magic of Sherazade Music. :allears:

I would not mind a good heavy edited video LP of that game too.

Really improved on the second video, looking forward to the rest. :3:

I might have to put that on my future LP list. It's such a great game and I haven't played it in a while.

Anyway, I did a little poking around with the current seed and realized that I will definitely conclude the run next level. So, in anticipation of the next run, I want to know what you all want to see.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8FCGYFF

Here's a survey to let me know what you want.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Well, from the results so far, it seems that people have actually chosen to be somewhat kind.

What I can definitely tell so far is that a good majority of you want to see a mixed quest overworld.
Also, a warning for those who are thinking about the Madness preset, I thought the Madness was a different one then the one it is.
All it does is randomize the caves while forcing a Swordless run. I don't think you want that for a few reasons.
1) I suck at Swordless runs
2) Just randomizing the caves is kinda boring.
3) There are videos of Swordless runs that show off how to do it far better than I can.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

FPzero posted:

I voted Madness expecting it was a middle-ground in terms of randomization. If it's a poo poo swordless preset then I'd say feel free to choose another one.

That's what I was going to do anyway.
I would have probably swapped it with Turmoil. Which is the one I thought it was.
But none of that matters since Madness didn't win anyway :D

Since it's been a while since I've posted the poll and I've seen that there are clear winners, I've decided that the next run is as follows:
Helpful Hints
Mixed Quest Overworld
Random Character
Mass Hysteria Preset

And the next run will be started soon as I have finished the Dischord Run!

Episode 3 - Well that was abrupt... New Audio. Should be fixed.

Lolo De Puzlo fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 5, 2015

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

CirclMastr posted:

Did you change the audio balance for this video? I can barely hear you over the dungeon music.

Ugh, I used the same settings as last time and I thought it sounded the same as last time.Maybe the settings screwed up during encoding...
I don't think I'll have time to fix it until Saturday...

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Okay, sound is fixed. Should be all better now.

Here it is

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Apologies for the delay with this update. Real life stuff you know?

Anyway, it's time to start another run. The preset that was chosen actually changes an important concept in Zelda 1. What would happen if you were able to go into Level 9 as soon as you found it?

Run 2: Preset: Mass Hysteria (Seed: 1324354657687980)
Here is what changes in the Mass Hysteria Preset:
  • All the shuffling of the Dischord preset with the addition of shuffled warp points and starting sword cave.
  • Level 9 no longer requires having all 8 triforce pieces to enter and important items can be found within it. (Ladder, Recorder, Silver Arrow, etc)
  • Ganon must be killed in order to rescue Zelda
  • Dungeon start spots are randomized and enemies and bosses within them are also randomized.
  • Viewer requests: Helpful Hints, Mixed Quest Overworld, Random Character

Episode 4: Wizards have no sense of right, wrong, direction, or hitboxes.

I got a new mic so hopefully the myriad audio balance issues I've had should fix things.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

Calling it now, the swords are all in a dungeon, probably at least level 8 if not 9. Multiple swords in one dungeon.

As funny as that would be, the Wooden and Magical Swords are always found in a cave. No clue why the designer only let the White Sword be randomized. Maybe in a later edition.

Nemo2342 posted:

I really liked your use of Solstice music during the first sped-up section.

Well, we are playing as a wizard after all.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

Is uh, this thread dead now? You're doing the Famicom thread, so I'm suspecting possibly...which makes me sad, because we need more 2D Zelda style action in the sub-forum.

Ehh... Well, here's the problem. Basically, at the point I am at in this run, the game decided to be kind of an rear end in a top hat and spike the difficulty. I also kind of forgotten where everything was so I'm basically going in wholly blind again.
Also, since the last update, I had some life adjustment things going on so I either didn't have the time to update or the energy to do so. I don't think that I'm calling it dead by any means and I don't want it to die. The problem is that I'm kind of weary about where I want to go with it. The reason I started the Famicom Disk thread was that was one where I could just put on a game for 20 minutes or so and putz around with it. Zelda Randomizer actually demands a bit of focus and involves a lot of getting lost.

I do actually have an episode that I need to commentate on, but I wanted to get that other thread up and going as I felt that was something I can more easily get content going out on.

So the answer is no, I'm not calling it dead, but it might not update as fast.

But, I will say that now that I have most of the life stuff out of the way, I should probably be able to update more frequently.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

So since I've been gone for so long, I figured that rather than update with one video, I'll do so with two!

Episode 5: Zelda Randomizer can be a real rear end in a top hat.

And with that episode, I'm abandoning that particular run.

Run 3: Preset: Mass Hysteria (Seed: 1357924680)
Same as Run 2, but with the addition of a new mechanic added to the new version of Zelda Randomizer and the loss of helpful hints due to me forgetting...

Episode 6: Let's try this again...

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

Also glad to see this back. The subforums always need more 2D Zelda action (I'm still hoping someone better at them than me starts a megathread some day for the many many easily overlooked games in the sub-genre)

I'm gonna be honest, I think your comments about hoping you would just find level 9 and be done ASAP say a lot about why you're having trouble in the LP. This isn't AGDQ, we're not here for a speedrun. Like I said earlier in the thread, it seems like everyone who wants to do videos of this game inevitably seem to make things fancy in order to be entertaining, and inevitably backfire shooting themselves in the foot. Have fun, do things at the pace that works for you. I'd complain about the sped-up footage as part of this, but then that'd mean we'd be missing out on the dope NES Jukebox, which is one of my favorite parts of the LP.

It's not so much that I want to find the stuff to be done with it. It's mostly that the entire gimmick of the preset is that you can do it so quickly. If I beat all the stages and then do the last stage, the gimmick might as well not be there. :P

And it's definitely not length that's the issue. What I have planned for two runs from now will be...quite lengthy.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

New update!

Episode 7: We might actually make it this time!

I got really lucky that Kamek's theme lasts exactly as long as that gap was.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Considering I find myself doing it to me playing as I am playing, that's not surprising :V

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

New update!

Episode 8: Dodongos are weird, yo.

Yeah, found out all sorts of weird things about Dodongos in this episode. Like the fact that they can walk on water, through blocks, and have a roar that lingers on even after you leave their level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

If you find the white sword in a dungeon, you can take it. The only time you can't take an item is if they are in the white/magical sword caves and you don't have enough health.

The reason why I avoid secret passages is because I like to scout out all of an area I can first before going through passages. I don't know why I do it like that, but that's just the way I do it :shrug:

• Locked thread