Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Closed beta tests start on October 30th! Release is early 2016!

Why should I play Blade & Soul?
  • It has complex and skill based action combat. People describe it as a mix of Tera and Street Fighter.
  • It has open world PvP with a risk/reward system. It's a flag based system and factions can be changed with relative ease.
  • The arena based PvP appears to be a popular esport in Korea etc.
  • With combat being similar to fighting games, PvP is supposed to be more interesting than other MMOs.
  • It also has PvE.
  • And no holy trinity.
  • It is pretty popular. Out of all NCSOFT MMOs only Lineage I makes more money.
  • It looks really good... if you like anime.
  • Korean players complain about leveling being too fast!

Yes, this will be free to play. Yes, I already spent money on it. And now you can, too!
https://www.bladeandsoul.com

Or you can wait until it is released...

Or you can play it in Russia, Japan or China:

Akoogly Eyes posted:

The PlayBNS forums have some guides for installing and playing the game on the Russian private server:
http://forum.playbns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48
Be advised that their version of the game is something like three years behind in content updates compared to CN/KR. The translation is workable, if a bit awkward at times but I wouldn't play on the server unless you really want your BnS fix.

Schubalts posted:

Both the Japanese (went F2P earlier this year) and Chinese versions have English patches, so if you want to play a version with current content, you can follow guides and play those.
Japanese
Chinese

Some Blade & Soul gameplay trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rMLgpySIh8

Guides:
Tips for Beginners
Professions

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Man if it wasn't for wild star we could have had blade and soul ages ago. I had fun on the Korean server ages ago as a Kung fu duder it's got a fun combat system.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Here are some of my experiences from the china version.

1) In terms of combat, this probably has the most dynamic of all the hotbar based systems I've played in an MMO. The hotbar changes based on the context of the enemies state, if he's stunned, downed, thrown up, etc will influence what a button does. Other combat systems might have more freedom, like Black Deserts, but that doesn't even feel like an MMO. B&S certainly does.

2) Where as other games slowly trickle abilities as you level, most of the core abilities of your class will be unlocked by 18. Instead you abilities are radically altered by the games talent system. Which is again, one of the most well implemented I've seen in an MMO. It doesn't feel half assed with damage % increases and things like that. Instead it would cause things like having your basic single target fire attacks start bouncing on mobs, double the effective aoe of a linear AoE attack by shooting another fire dragon from your other hand, etc.

3)It has a very functional tutorial for each class. Each class has a quest chain from one of your school brothers ( same character for all the classes, its just that he teaches you differently based on class) that will teach you the basics of your class including how to effectively use your character in team settings. Like a lot of the objectives include dealing with the boss enemies CC shield and you'll have to wait for him to shred through one of the layers so you can follow up with your control. It also touches on parry, dodge and counter mechanics that are very important in the game.

4) Gear is very good looking although very limiting in what you can mix and match. You have a body uniform, usually called dobok and then have a few accessories for the head/ eyes/ mouth. Sort of like RO really. The tradeoff of these limits though are that the gear looks fantastic in motion.

5) Story is standard wuxia fair with a little extra flair. I was having the authentic chinagame experience listening to it in mandarin so I cant comment on the actual writing of it but from what I could make sense of it was basically a revenge story with fantasy elements.

Pretty fun game, probably wont spend money on it because I already played plenty of the china version and no way I'm I spending 25 bucks just for beta access. Seriously NCsoft would it kill you to add a little bit more tangible things to these packages. Its like they are tacking in $25 on each package just for the beta access.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i like anime, OP

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Eonwe posted:

i like anime, OP

Even better, it has age of wushu flight skills too. Tera combat with way more flash and style, and grappling, and you can be a little Mr. Miyagi dogman kung fu master. It'll be fun, and if it's got a sane grind curve in the western release it might also actually be good, but even if it doesn't it'll be fun for at least a little while.

Wuxia flying skills go a long way in making any game good, I wish more games would do that.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mind you the flight skills aren't entirely like Wushu/Wulin. You can sprint around and glide but you cant do this in combat, so a lot of the technical elements are lost.

Also the game doesn't really have a leveling grind. People in korea complained that you leveled too fast when it came out and at least in the chinese version you could get to 16+ in a like 2 hours if you had rested exp. The only thing I felt like actually grinding were some world bosses that would drop costumes tickets and other goodies. I usually did them enough to get their costume and a set of their bopae.

See the game has a system like TSW, where how you look doesn't influence your stats. You have invisible gear called bopae which are like parts of a painting, if you collect all from a set you get an additional boost.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Even better, it has age of wushu flight skills too.

And the water running, horizontal and vertical wall running (which includes being able to run up trees). It's a lot of fun just messing around with all your mobility options, especially in a later area that is a big open forest full of trees.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

basically wuxia flight skills are the closest I can ever get to CoH being out, so they're always a BIG DEAL for me when I'm looking at new games to play.

I played a little bit of BnS china, but I'm too old to play games I don't understand the language of like I did in high school.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is this the one where all pants only have one leg and all the women have been dunked in baby oil?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

The baby oil is a slider, so you get to choose how baby oily you want to be.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Pierson posted:

Is this the one where all pants only have one leg

No, that's FF10.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hoping to enjoy the beta of this but classes start again soon and I'm not sure I can fit textbooks and B&S in my budget.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Apparently you can play the international/russian version right now at http://playbns.com/

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

mightygerm posted:

Apparently you can play the international/russian version right now at http://playbns.com/

Is it free to play? Any region restrictions?

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Maybe because I watch/read all my Wu Xia stuff in Chinese, but I really can't imagine this in English. Also, even if you could, don't play this game on poor settings because the NPCs and animations look absolutely terrible. Major complaints I have for this game is that the LFG system is pretty lousy, and I can't find a mailbox to mail stuff between my alts. This especially sucks when I get a weapon evolution item for an assassin weapon on my sword dude. Finally, the crafting system is... not too great. Don't even think about leveling crafting while you're leveling, since the money spent is better used on evolving your weapon or teleporting.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
OH GOD THE SATURATION, PLEASE MAKE ME COLORBLIND LORD JESUS. gonna play it anyway

This server seems to be a private server with only russian translation, and the downloader requires a torrent program

cheeki breeki

e: looks like it's got an english translation in which almost everything is done by google translate. i'll give it a shot and post

ee: also an uncensored patch

eee: this game also has its own anime

lewtt fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 24, 2015

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
my friends won't shut the gently caress up about this being the game that made NCSoft kill CoH

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
the playbns thing works fine with the english updater/translation if anyone wants to give it a test run. Works pretty well so far. Seen one english speaker and a whole lot of russians. My ping is about 220 on the US west coast. Definitely noticeable, but still playable

Game feels like tera but with much better movement so far

http://forum.playbns.com/showthread.php?t=17095

in as lewtt

lewtt fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 24, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Robo Reagan posted:

my friends won't shut the gently caress up about this being the game that made NCSoft kill CoH

Tell him that was wildstar

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the anime was really bad

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

jwang posted:

Major complaints I have for this game is that the LFG system is pretty lousy, and I can't find a mailbox to mail stuff between my alts.

What was lousy about the LFG system? I never had any problems with it.

Mail, storage, and the auction house are handled by the same NPC.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Is there a good guide for playing on Russian servers? (account creation, language patch etc.) I'll add it to the OP.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Schubalts posted:

What was lousy about the LFG system? I never had any problems with it.

Mail, storage, and the auction house are handled by the same NPC.

The queue system is pretty much "Form group as leader", or at least I haven't seen any part of it that just throws random people together. Also, I keep getting booted off of queue for some reason. FFXIV has spoiled me for queues, I'd kill for just warm bodies at this point with how some of the queues are.

As for the mail thing, the fact they decided to stick all 3 in one NPC is nice I guess since you don't have to go anywhere to handle all your purchasing needs, but geez, they should at least add something in the tutorial to tell you that the mail function is also there.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
The PlayBNS forums have some guides for installing and playing the game on the Russian private server:
http://forum.playbns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Be advised that their version of the game is something like three years behind in content updates compared to CN/KR. The translation is workable, if a bit awkward at times but I wouldn't play on the server unless you really want your BnS fix.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Both the Japanese (went F2P earlier this year) and Chinese versions have English patches, so if you want to play a version with current content, you can follow guides and play those.

Japanese

Chinese

jwang posted:

The queue system is pretty much "Form group as leader", or at least I haven't seen any part of it that just throws random people together. Also, I keep getting booted off of queue for some reason. FFXIV has spoiled me for queues, I'd kill for just warm bodies at this point with how some of the queues are.

There is a queue for random people. It even pulls people from different servers. The button was F8, but I can't remember the exact dungeon buttons after that, it's been a long while.

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 24, 2015

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Being a dedicated healer in all MMOs I play, no trinity makes me sad.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.
Played the Korean version of this with my buddy for awhile a year or so ago and it's pretty cool. It's one of those games where the combat is amazing but the latency really impacts it. We kept saying "Man if only we could play this with sub 100 ping!", and now we might get that chance.

Some classes play so differently based on your latency its crazy. I remember seeing my friend play an Assassin and it seemed so awesome, then a Korean player on an Assassin came by and was literally doing everything twice as fast and it was even crazier. That's when we realized to really get everything out of this game we needed to pray for a NA version so we can play on NA servers.

Way more excited for this old rear end Korean MMO than I should be. :3:

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Been playing the Japanese version of this off and on for a bit. Combat is leagues better then any other MMO out there. I would say Skyforge is closest to it combat wise, but B&S has more depth in terms of actions and is a lot more satisfying. I would play the Japanese version more, except A. I don't know Japanese that well, B. The english translation only works for a the first 10 or so levels, then every quest text goes back to Japanese and C. Grouping is a pain due to time zone difference and you need to group to advance your weapon to the higher tiers once you get to around 15 IIRC.

Also I gave them my money already for the US version, from the FAQ they will also be letting some in for technical alphas as well before the closed beta.

Alighieri fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 24, 2015

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Neat, someone finally made a thread! I was going to but then I kept being a lazy piece of poo poo.

Anyway I too played this on an eastern server for a bit (China) but like most other people, the lag was just too much to really enjoy the game, plus the english community was pretty small so grouping for dungeons and stuff was kind of difficult. I liked what I did play of it and I'm super looking forward to playing it with not-lovely ping.

Couple notes about the western release I've gleaned from articles and updates and such:
  • We'll be starting with up to Act 3 of the story. Currently Korea is on Act 6 I believe. That puts us decently behind, but hopefully they'll fast-track the updates once the game is out proper. The most important thing is that Pohwaran's dungeon is apparently in, so you can get those sweet two-tone twintails.
  • Lyn Blademasters will be in, they've been renamed Blade Dancers to differentiate them from the other Blademasters, since they play somewhat differently.
  • Yun will be able to be Kung-fu Masters, and Gon will be able to be Force Masters, in addition to the original race/class combos. Your dreams of making a huge amazon woman with gigantic oiled thighs be a wizard can now be a reality.
  • NA servers will be based in Dallas, Texas. Seems like a good central area so everyone can complain about ping in PvP equally, then all the nerds who played eastern versions can go "YOU DON'T KNOW TRUE LAG!". EU servers will be in Frankfurt, Germany.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Thanks for the guides, they're in the OP now. :)

cathead posted:

Neat, someone finally made a thread! I was going to but then I kept being a lazy piece of poo poo.

Hahaha, I was actually the same until yesterday.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

This game looks extremely fun

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is this one class per character? I've gotten used to games like FFXIV and Skyforge where one character does it all :(

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Yes, it is one class per character.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
looks like the first founder pack is reasonable and the other two are for crazy people

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Robo Reagan posted:

Drink their tears. It's the only thing you can do.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Eonwe posted:

looks like the first founder pack is reasonable and the other two are for crazy people
It's actually the least reasonable one if you plan on playing the game + spending some money on it. You're basically paying $25 for beta access and some lovely titles and that's it. The Disciple and Master packs actually have some value (Master being overwhelmingly better) since with Master you get a ton of poo poo (including 3 months of premium) for like $35 AND then you end up with $90 worth of cash shop currency. Disciple is similar but you're getting less extra stuff for your money. So if you think you're going to spend money on the game and play it for awhile you can take the risk of basically paying up front. That's kind of how they get you with founders packs nowadays, Archeage did the same thing except the deal was shittier and the game also turned out to be kind of lovely.

So if you think you're going to put some time into this game and spend some money on it (probably helps if you've actually played it before so you know if you want it or not), then go for Disciple or Master. Otherwise you're probably better off just playing the playbns thing or another region for free until it actually releases over here, rather than spending money on somewhat pointless beta access.

At least they're not selling wuxia spaceships for $500. It could be worse! :v:

edit: Oh I forgot you have headstart too in the Initiate pack, which I guess has some value but still.

cathead fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 24, 2015

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Pierson posted:

Is this the one where all pants only have one leg and all the women have been dunked in baby oil?

Blade and Soul's artwork looks like it's being done by Hyung-tae Kim, so yes.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

i picked the wrong option once again lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cathead posted:

It's actually the least reasonable one if you plan on playing the game + spending some money on it. You're basically paying $25 for beta access and some lovely titles and that's it. The Disciple and Master packs actually have some value (Master being overwhelmingly better) since with Master you get a ton of poo poo (including 3 months of premium) for like $35 AND then you end up with $90 worth of cash shop currency. Disciple is similar but you're getting less extra stuff for your money. So if you think you're going to spend money on the game and play it for awhile you can take the risk of basically paying up front. That's kind of how they get you with founders packs nowadays, Archeage did the same thing except the deal was shittier and the game also turned out to be kind of lovely.

So if you think you're going to put some time into this game and spend some money on it (probably helps if you've actually played it before so you know if you want it or not), then go for Disciple or Master. Otherwise you're probably better off just playing the playbns thing or another region for free until it actually releases over here, rather than spending money on somewhat pointless beta access.

At least they're not selling wuxia spaceships for $500. It could be worse! :v:

edit: Oh I forgot you have headstart too in the Initiate pack, which I guess has some value but still.

i honestly cant see myself buying a pack with so much cash shop currency again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Yeah I wouldn't blame someone at all for not doing it. Just saying if you're actually looking at value, it's best to go hard on it, otherwise you're better off just waiting.

• Locked thread