Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM JAMES FRANCO
Jul 23, 2008
Problem description: Wireless has always been slow on my desktop computer. The wired connection works great with good speeds, but wireless always had less than half of the speed of the wired for this 1 computer only. I've lived with it for while, but I decided to fix it. I googled the issue, and most of the first responses were to uninstall specific programs, with I had none of. The other most popular solution was to uninstall the wireless driver and reinstall it, restarting it at each step. So I uninstalled the driver "DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card", which also then uninstalled "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter" and restarted the computer. Upon restart the driver automatically reinstalled itself as well as the miniport adapter. But now, the wireless doesn't connect at all, I tried with connection to a password protected and non-password protected wifi but neither works.

Attempted fixes: Reinstalled the driver again. Also followed the instructions in the second post of this thread: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-internet-wireless/f/3324/t/19493687

Recent changes: Nothing other than the steps above.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit.

System specs:
Model: Dell XPS 8300.
Processor: Intel(R) core i&-2600
RAM: 8 GB

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What kind of speeds were you getting for wired and wireless on that computer?

I AM JAMES FRANCO
Jul 23, 2008
If I remember right, Wired connection gave me anywhere from 8 Mbps to 5Mbps on a regular basis. Wired usually stuck around .5Mbps.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I'd honestly recommend just picking up a new wireless adapter. While in theory USB adapters can be as good as PCI-E adapters, they typically have much smaller antennas that makes for weaker signal and lower performance, and connecting them directly to a USB port typically places them in a way that interferes with reception.

• Locked thread