Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The Stock Market was down today amid rumors that the stock market might go down.

Sounds like a friggin' self-licking ice cream cone to me. Why not just everybody pretend like the stock market is going up and it will go up for real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Buy when ur feeling low, sell when ur blazin high

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
That's more or less what we had before, hth.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So, when a company makes more profits, its stocks go up, even though only a small number of companies actually have profit sharing for shareholders. Why would the stock otherwise be worth more?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Because stockbrokers are rational actors to a fault.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Applewhite posted:

Sounds like a friggin' self-licking ice cream cone to me.

What's the part you don't understand?

Stocks, like anything else, are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Sometimes people panic, and when they panic, they scare the poo poo out of each other. Right now everyone is running around screaming like they are on fire.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Actuary X posted:

What's the part you don't understand?

Stocks, like anything else, are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Sometimes people panic, and when they panic, they scare the poo poo out of each other. Right now everyone is running around screaming like they are on fire.

No I understand that aspect of it. What I don't understand is, if the value of the stocks is purely imaginary, why we don't just wish the stock market higher.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
the stock market relies on confidence., You need to read my StockmarketPUA blog #mensrates

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.

Applewhite posted:

So, when a company makes more profits, its stocks go up, even though only a small number of companies actually have profit sharing for shareholders. Why would the stock otherwise be worth more?

you own a piece of the company, so if the company does well, the value of the thing you own increases. then other people say "boy howdy i want some of that, it sure is valuable" and so they want to buy that thing, and you can sell it to them for more than you bought it for.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Applewhite posted:

No I understand that aspect of it. What I don't understand is, if the value of the stocks is purely imaginary, why we don't just wish the stock market higher.
That is where bubbles come from.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

curiously on the corpse.

Applewhite posted:

the point is to make money. if you buy a bunch of stock at high prices to drive the price up, that's fine, but if it doesn't actually go up long term then you'll lose money when you sell

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Actuary X posted:

That is where bubbles come from.

You say "bubble" like it's something illusory or hollow, but I don't see how that's differentiated from anything else that occurs in the stock market. You might as well describe depressions as "reverse bubbles" because they're just as artificial.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

curiously on the corpse.

Applewhite posted:

You say "bubble" like it's something illusory or hollow, but I don't see how that's differentiated from anything else that occurs in the stock market. You might as well describe depressions as "reverse bubbles" because they're just as artificial.

think about the dutch tulip thing. tulips do have value and they basically always will because people like flowers and tulips are cool. there's nothing illusory about that. but people were paying way loving more for the tulips than it would make any sense for them to be worth in the long term. that's basically a bubble.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
yes but hte stock market understands you

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

The price of a stock is what it is agreed to be, but a stock actually has a certain value (although that value can only be estimated). That value is the present value of future dividend payments and the proceeds from selling the stock at some future point. If you think a stock is a good buy, that means that your estimate of that return is higher than you could get from other sources (e.g., T-bills or other stocks).

It is not completely imaginary. Prices will tend to gyrate around that (generally agreed) value. Sometimes they move pretty far. Sometimes the agreed estimated value changes rapidly because of external conditions that effect what you would expect to get from that stock (e.g., rapid change in the price of oil).

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
what flavor of ice cream op

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

logical phalluses posted:

think about the dutch tulip thing. tulips do have value and they basically always will because people like flowers and tulips are cool. there's nothing illusory about that. but people were paying way loving more for the tulips than it would make any sense for them to be worth in the long term. that's basically a bubble.

Right but the value of tulips is determined by the fact that people buy them to look at. The value of stocks seems to be determined by circular reasoning.

Actuary X posted:

The price of a stock is what it is agreed to be, but a stock actually has a certain value (although that value can only be estimated). That value is the present value of future dividend payments and the proceeds from selling the stock at some future point. If you think a stock is a good buy, that means that your estimate of that return is higher than you could get from other sources (e.g., T-bills or other stocks).

It is not completely imaginary. Prices will tend to gyrate around that (generally agreed) value. Sometimes they move pretty far. Sometimes the agreed estimated value changes rapidly because of external conditions that effect what you would expect to get from that stock (e.g., rapid change in the price of oil).

So if you own stock in a company you get paid dividends?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

what flavor of ice cream op

Spaghetti.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
what!!

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'd try it

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Applewhite posted:

Spaghetti.

spaghett!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like how the news follows the stock market constantly and yet like 1% of the population if that even cares or deals with it. gently caress rich people

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Applewhite posted:

Some pay dividends yes. Others you're just buying and holding with the hope that someone will see it as becoming more valuable to another person in the future with it's likelihood of becoming more valuable to someone else in the future. It's pretty simple. You can also vote to direct some company policy and action but unless you hold a massive percentage of the shares it doesn't matter.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

poorlifedecision posted:

Some pay dividends yes. Others you're just buying and holding with the hope that someone will see it as becoming more valuable to another person in the future with it's likelihood of becoming more valuable to someone else in the future. It's pretty simple. You can also vote to direct some company policy and action but unless you hold a massive percentage of the shares it doesn't matter.

"This stock is worthless to me, because I don't get any dividends from it, but you should still pay me a ton of money for it because it's probably worth something to somebody. and even if it's not, they might fall for the same story I got you with."

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Roy posted:

Buy when ur feeling low, sell when ur blazin high

9/11 blaze it erryday

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This explains the stockmarket well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiJa9diJOMk

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Applewhite posted:

"This stock is worthless to me, because I don't get any dividends from it, but you should still pay me a ton of money for it because it's probably worth something to somebody. and even if it's not, they might fall for the same story I got you with."

Welcome to the Republican party son.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

imagine fo re balls on the edguu of a clidd

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I think I'm beginning to see why our economy is so hosed up.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Do cocaine and jerk off several times per day

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

Yes.

If you own a share that costs $5 and there are rumours (or announcements) that the dividend will be 6 cents per share, then you can sell your share to somebody for $5.06. That's $5 for the share and 6 cents for the future rumoured dividends.

If later when it comes time to announce the actual dividend it turns out that the dividend will be only 4 cents per share the MARKET WILL CRASH by which I mean that everyone with that share will attempt to sell it for $5.06 and then buy it back for the true value of $5.04. Otherwise they can hold onto it and "lose" 2 cents per share. They're not really losing it until they sell it, but the value of the share has decreased.

This is why a company can report AWESOME PROFITS and then every starts to sell their shares in the company as fast as they can. People get surprised. "WHAT THE gently caress? THEY JUST DID AWESOMELY???" Well, problem is the whole market was expecting them to do SUPER AWESOME and they only did ordinary AWESOME, so sell that overvalued poo poo as fast as you can, buddy.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

It's hosed up, but not for the reasons that you'll see written on front of a photograph and stuck on Facebook.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The stock market is kind of like an elaborate circus that really rich people put on to distract you while they steal your taxes and plunder your retirement funds.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keynesian_beauty_contest

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The only true value in this world is in video game collector's editions.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Applewhite posted:

Capitalism sucks bro.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

i only buy stocks that pay dividends and dont plan on selling any so all of this going on just means i should buy more

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Some people use really fast computers to make purchases every nanosecond so other people can't compete with them.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Frabba posted:

Capitalism sucks bro.

The stock market seems to be a whole separate entity from capitalism proper. Capitalism is the idea that the value of goods and services should be determined by demand, rather than by government fiat. Seems pretty reasonable to me. The stock market works on capitalist principles but instead of trading money for goods and services, they trade it confidence, making it more akin to gambling than trading imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Applewhite posted:

The stock market seems to be a whole separate entity from capitalism proper. Capitalism is the idea that the value of goods and services should be determined by demand, rather than by government fiat. Seems pretty reasonable to me. The stock market works on capitalist principles but instead of trading money for goods and services, they trade it confidence, making it more akin to gambling than trading imo.

Basically yeah. So are you playing or not?

• Locked thread