Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Housing discrimination is also still a major problem in the USA. In 29 states, it is legal to discriminate against LGBT people in housing, and in a further 10, it is still legal to discriminate against transgender people. This is an important part of keeping openly LGBT people sectioned off into "gayborhoods" and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Bip Roberts posted:

I thought gay concentrated neighborhoods in 2015 exist more because of shared culture than from direct housing discrimination or economic barriers.

It's more that gay neighborhoods exist as safe places to contrast with the possibility of danger from the rest of the world. The issue isn't so much direct housing discrimination as it is the steering and expectations that keep gay people concentrated or closeted/covering- even if it's not likely that you'll be forced out of your apartment or denied a mortgage, the possibility discourages people. So guaranteeing the right to have housing anywhere in the country would help break down those barriers by removing some of these expectations.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Spacewolf posted:

Sure there is. It politicizes the ADA, something that (to the relief of most disabled folks) is actually not a partisan issue in the US. It's rough enough being blind, I don't need what few protections I get being turned into a wedge issue for either party!

Seriously: You want to protect transgenders, go ahead. But don't touch the ADA! Leave us out of your fight!

The Americans with Disabilities Act posted:

The term "disability" means, with respect to an individual

(A) a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities of such individual;

The fact that transgender people are not protected by the ADA means that it is already politicized- an obvious disability is excluded, because it would be politically uncomfortable to do the right thing. There are, in fact, multiple disabilities that are specifically excluded for political reasons, though none of them so obviously vile in nature as the exclusion of gender dysphoria.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I think that the next big struggles will center around bullying/harassment on the LGB end, and getting included in federal civil rights laws on the T end. Not so much because the former is the worthiest, but because housing/employment discrimination will probably have a lot more tepid support from well-off LGB people.

• Locked thread