Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Lord Windy posted:

I always wondered if that had to do more with a genetic link between mental illnesses and LGBT people. I don't have a source, but my psychiatrist said there was a much higher rate of Bipolar amongst gay people. I have Bipolar and tried to commit suicide. But I literally faced nothing a normal person wouldn't have growing up.

It's also my opinion that the gay struggle is over. Within a year or two Australia will have marriage equality and any lingering discrimination will disappear in a generation or two. Transgender individuals will have some trouble for awhile longer, but unlike racism we LGBT people randomly appear within families.

I live in one of the most liberal and LGBT supporting cities in the US. I have never personally faced any problems because I'm a large, muscular former college football player and your average homophobic dude isn't going to prey on someone like that. I have friends who are smaller and more feminine who have been insulted, assulted, had stuff thrown at them, been disowned by their parents, lost jobs, etc. Again this is in one of the most progressive and LGBT friendly parts of the country. I think you are just lacking in perspective. And this is just gay men, trans individuals on average have it much worse.

It seems like we're at a point where being gay is more accepted than violating gender norms for which there is still a lot of pressure to conform, I think in many places it's probably easier to be a "manly" gay dude than be a straight dude who "looks gay."

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

So what's the next "Grand Cause" for people to focus on after marriage equality. There are still a ton of LGBT issues (especially T issues), but I feel like a lot of them, especially the ones noted in the OP, are too complicated or don't have enough mass appeal to become the new marriage equality campaign. Maybe bundling together employment and housing protections would have the best shot at picking up steam, but if we couldn't pass the ERA for women, what are the odds of passing one focusing on LBGT issues?

ERA was s constitutional amendment which is an entirely different story compared to something like ENDA. The votes for ENDA were most likely there last congress but Boehner simply refused to bring it up for a vote. It all comes down to convincing whatever GOP shithead is in leadership to allow it to go to the floor, as I don't see the Dems having both chambers and the presidency anytime soon.

• Locked thread