Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crazy eights
Aug 23, 2015

by Lowtax
Well any time anyone says anything about buying anything- seems like all the frikkin neckbaeards start slamming "buy a vanguard index fund" into their keyboard... How about. No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Buying anything? Like when you talk about wanting to buy a coffee or something?

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
I like index funds because I don't have to deal with a pushy hotshot broker type

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

idk man i heard that P2000 Fire Elementals are a rising investment

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
index funds are for pussies

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I got one from some investing thread on the Something Awful dot com forums in 2013 apparently. I wanted to put some money away and not look at it for 20 years. It's been 2 years and so far I've made (as of today) $2,360.98 which is a 10.3% return. It was over $1,700 ($4,074.69) higher just one month ago but the crazy poo poo that's going recently so whatever. Not bad for doing a few days worth of research and sitting on my rear end with my laptop and giving someone some money.

I'm lazy though. No clue how this has anything to do with fedoras though.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
index funds are good actually

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
you can get a way higher return by playing individual stocks lmao if you index fund on anything other than a 401k/ira

Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax
A charmander is a solid way to start.

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ashgromnies posted:

you can get a way higher return by playing individual stocks lmao if you index fund on anything other than a 401k/ira

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
No poo poo, but this is a risk vs. reward type thing. The entire stock market is. Everyone thinks they'll be investing in the next Microsoft or Apple or something and be rich. No you won't. Individual stocks, or at least start ups, is like playing the lottery. You will lose. Guaranteed. Sure you can invest in companies that are pretty stable and have been in business forever like Walgreens or something, but then UR A GIANT PUZZY FOR PLAYING IT SAFE WITH A STABLE INDIVIDUAL STOCK.

Risk vs. reward. I have a low risk, and I will have a lower but almost guaranteed constant reward unless the country completely collapses. I'm in this for the long haul bitches. (I doubt I'll live past 50 though but whatever)

This is dumb. If you want to be a day trader then go ahead and sit at your computer and think you're a badass and listen to Jim Cramer's crazy rear end while you lose all of your money as he has led so many people to do. Like my super republican brother has done a few times. Unrelated, his staffing company is also going under now. He has a family of 4. As volatile as his mind is he probably blames the president or anyone besides his own incompetence.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

No poo poo, but this is a risk vs. reward type thing. The entire stock market is. Everyone thinks they'll be investing in the next Microsoft or Apple or something and be rich. No you won't. Individual stocks, or at least start ups, is like playing the lottery. You will lose. Guaranteed. Sure you can invest in companies that are pretty stable and have been in business forever like Walgreens or something, but then UR A GIANT PUZZY FOR PLAYING IT SAFE WITH A STABLE INDIVIDUAL STOCK.

Risk vs. reward. I have a low risk, and I will have a lower but almost guaranteed constant reward unless the country completely collapses. I'm in this for the long haul bitches. (I doubt I'll live past 50 though but whatever)

This is dumb. If you want to be a day trader then go ahead and sit at your computer and think you're a badass and listen to Jim Cramer's crazy rear end while you lose all of your money as he has led so many people to do. Like my super republican brother has done a few times. Unrelated, his staffing company is also going under now. He has a family of 4. As volatile as his mind is he probably blames the president or anyone besides his own incompetence.

ignore jim cramer, ignore any advice on "hot tips to buy a stock"

just pick a stable company and engage in day trading on its regular fluctuations. buy & sell quickly. don't hold poo poo. peace.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
"Buy high, sell low", my dealer always tells me

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

ashgromnies posted:

just pick a stable company and engage in day trading on its regular fluctuations. buy & sell quickly. don't hold poo poo. peace.
hahaha day trading

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Mercrom posted:

hahaha day trading

$25k in escrow is all it takez...

f0rce
Aug 26, 2007
<^.^>
the only real way to make money is by leveraging your margin account to the hilt and short selling naked option strangles. gotta really roll the dice noobs~

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

ashgromnies posted:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
M' Earnings

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

VendaGoat posted:

M' Earnings

lol

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I always knew my dad was a fedora wearing neckbeard born thirty years too early.

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006
you shouldn't be able to get more money without working for it

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006
full communism now

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Also don't buy AAPL calls

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

crazy eights posted:

Well any time anyone says anything about buying anything- seems like all the frikkin neckbaeards start slamming "buy a vanguard index fund" into their keyboard... How about. No.

i mean being contrarian is fine if its about fashion or tv shows or whatever but if youre gonna be contrarian and lose money because of it thats literally stupider than wearing a fedora and jorts irl, just sayin

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i like threads like this because i don't know what a vanguard index fund is, so i can't possibly be like someone who wears a fedora in this metaphor. :69snypa:

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

even though irl i wear a fedora

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

on my dick :twisted:

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Nuh uh you goons were all trash talking bitcoin when it first became a thing and because of that I didn't invest meaning I'm not rich now

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
bitcoin only wishes it could destabilize the economy as efficiently as stock markets

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Hell Yeah posted:

i like threads like this because i don't know what a vanguard index fund is, so i can't possibly be like someone who wears a fedora in this metaphor. :69snypa:

It's one of those things non-poor people do with their money instead of rolling a wad of 20s up in a rubber band and hiding it

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i threw a wad of 20s in your moms face after "hiding" my dick in her rear end

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

eSports Chaebol posted:

i mean being contrarian is fine if its about fashion or tv shows or whatever but if youre gonna be contrarian and lose money because of it thats literally stupider than wearing a fedora and jorts irl, just sayin

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I got one from some investing thread on the Something Awful dot com forums in 2013 apparently. I wanted to put some money away and not look at it for 20 years. It's been 2 years and so far I've made (as of today) $2,360.98 which is a 10.3% return. It was over $1,700 ($4,074.69) higher just one month ago but the crazy poo poo that's going recently so whatever. Not bad for doing a few days worth of research and sitting on my rear end with my laptop and giving someone some money.

I'm lazy though. No clue how this has anything to do with fedoras though.

not sure how much you put down to get to that, but if you sent me your money instead, I'd double it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

not sure how much you put down to get to that, but if you sent me your money instead, I'd double it.

I see nothing that can go wrong with this proposal. I'm in.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I invested money in Disney shortly before they announced their acquisition of marvel and Star Wars so that pretty much makes me a superstar; feel free to ask me anything I am really good at stocks.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
trading stocks isn't worth losing your soul.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

wide stance posted:

trading stocks isn't worth losing your soul.

gently caress this guy, Invest in Fox™

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

you sound poor, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

crazy eights posted:

do you like paying high fees, op? vanguard has like .05% fees

if it saves me thousands of dollars a year then yes i will wear a fedora

• Locked thread