Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
They would probably be able to weigh decisions and their impact on a nation/world better than humans if they are advanced enough.

Would this ever work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
The reptilians would never allow this.

oblique
Sep 20, 2001

Like me, they have no way to go but up.
hope so. that would be cool. computers are fun, you can play halo and world of warcraft on them

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Issac Asimov wrote a short story about this at the end of I Robot, "The Evitable Conflict".

Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
Yes government will be run by AI eventually seeming as transhumanism is gaining momentum and their ultimate goal is to put human minds into robotic beings that can explore space. Not a giant leap to government by AI. And the judicial system might get fairer

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Didn't seem to work very well the dozen times Twilight Zone tried it.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

reference to the my little pony fanfic friendship is optimal

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
4chan hacks the proper triggers to begin WWIII and we all miss the days before we voted in the AMD vs Intel election

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

governments frequently make decisions based on the economy, which is controlled by computers

so yes they can and are

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Not at the moment

Outside of holly wood problems like it going Skynet on us or someone hacking into it, there's the basic fact that our AI programming isn't that great yet. Our AI's excel at doing things where it know or track all the variables it has to deal with. Like an car being driven by an AI can easily track other cars, figure out the speed limit, know what is drivable terrain and what isn't, ect. We can make AI's that can play perfect games of chess as well, because chess is a game where all possible moves and all information is available.

The problem comes once you start entering variables it doesn't know. Then the effectiveness of our AI's plummets as more and more unknown variables are introduced, till the point that the AI's only real advantage over a human is that it can make speedy decisions based on the information it already has. And well, governments have to make decisions based on a lot of unknown variables and need to take educated guesses, if not outright gamble.

Like for example, a prominent company in the last U.S. election cycle had their AI's crunch things and announced in a TV interview that their AI was pretty drat sure that Newt Gingrich was going to be the republican nominee. Most humans realized that was unlikely, and well they were right.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
It would turn out like that Star Trek episode with the super genius social retards who figure out a strategy to fight the Dominion then decide that there's no possible way to win so the best solution to save the most lives and with the highest probability of survival is to simply surrender, except without Sisko coming and and saying Oh Hell No!

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Big Scary Owl posted:

They would probably be able to weigh decisions and their impact on a nation/world better than humans if they are advanced enough.

Would this ever work?

if you are asking the question, the answer is "yes, at some point."

many of our middle class jobs are being taken by computer algorithms so why not?

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
metal gear solid 4 explained this in depth

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

s0m3 guy posted:

metal gear solid 4 explained this in depth

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L_73vDgBjU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
>killallgays.exe

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnjlFVvT6xM

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

can't be any worse than the autistic blue bloods who already control it

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
yes

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Uncle Wemus posted:

That's true, the AI's actually have souls.

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

Uncle Wemus posted:

lol if u think autists control anything, even their own lives

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
so long as i get my six pack i am a-ok with friend computer calling the shots

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i dont know a computer might behave irrationally like building bridges to nowhere or neglecting infrastructure for nonsensical military research into unworkable fighter jet designs. things that would be impossible under common sense driven human leadership

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

post this in D&D lol

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
its in the nature of a bridge to lead somewhere even if that place is a new tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

computers are better than people

• Locked thread