Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
are there any online games you miss playing, but can't play anymore except for an hour-long window when the one server you ping under 200 to has more than two other people in it? i know how you feel.

for me, the main ones would easily be day of defeat (the original, not DoD:S) and cs 1.6; cs is still fairly active but most of the servers either haven't been rebooted since 2007 or are adminless and a breeding ground for cheaters :smith:

CoD and CoD2 fit into this as well for me, both are pretty dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I enjoyed Super Monday Night Combat a heck of a lot when it was active. Shame the devs sort of neglected it and/or tried to trick the core fanbase into mining bitcoins.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Lord Lambeth posted:

I enjoyed Super Monday Night Combat a heck of a lot when it was active. Shame the devs sort of neglected it and/or tried to trick the core fanbase into mining bitcoins.

i know a friend of mine used to be heavy into that game, i never saw the appeal but from what he told me it was a lot of fun

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

It's a shame Gimbal never really took off. That game had a whole lot of potential, and customising spaceships is never not cool.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

reddit liker posted:

i know a friend of mine used to be heavy into that game, i never saw the appeal but from what he told me it was a lot of fun
I think it hit me at just the right time. It was A: active long before everyone was making MOBA games and B: played from a third person perpective, rather than the tradition rts style camera, which I found a hell of a lot more engaging.

I should probably get into smite, I hear it's similar.

edit: It's aesthetic was pretty similar to TF2, which I was also playing lots at the time.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Planetside 2 isn't dead yet, but it's going that way. I spent a good while playing it with some buddies a few weeks ago as a final sendoff, because I'm sure it's going to be empty as gently caress by the time I want to get into it again. Such a bummer, because it's a genuinely awesome game once you get the hang of it and there are no other alternatives in the genre.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Monday Night Combat was way better than SMNC. :rip:

Tribes: Ascend was good until they started making awful descisions that kinda killed it.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Anatharon posted:

Tribes: Ascend was good until they started making awful descisions that kinda killed it.

tribes ascend was great for the first few months yeah

the voice packs were hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VYMXudza5w

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Blacklight Retribution, but specifically the Oceanic/'Asia' servers. It's still chugging along in the US and Europe apparently Russia but they've turned off the Oceanic/'Asia' servers, so it's unplayable for players in this region. PC wise at least, dunno about the PS4, don't care to waste the time downloading it to find out.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Tribes.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Not an emptyquote.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
is red orchestra 2 still alive? that was one of my favourite "realistic" FPS ever, but i dont want to download it again just to find all the servers empty :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Das Butterbrot posted:

is red orchestra 2 still alive? that was one of my favourite "realistic" FPS ever, but i dont want to download it again just to find all the servers empty :smith:

Absolutely. Both vanilla and Rising Storm have plenty of players for both major prime times.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Section 8: Prejudice was dead already by the time I decided I wanted to play an FPS of its sort. Sad, really. Wasted money always is.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Orv posted:

Absolutely. Both vanilla and Rising Storm have plenty of players for both major prime times.
Is it still mostly populated by neo-nazi 15 year olds?

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

It only lasted like a month for MP cause COD4 came out shortly after, but it was fun while it lasted.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Orv posted:

awesome, time to whip out the old mosin i guess :)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Does the new UT and its 20 players in prime time count? :smith:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Didn't realise this was a thing, but I think I might get in on it.

Has anybody tried to play The Ship in recent times? I've toyed with re-downloading it to play with a friend. Unbelievably fun online game that was kinda panned by critics, I have no idea if any servers are still populated/everybody playing it will just be a monster and it won't be fun for new players.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Croccers posted:

Is it still mostly populated by neo-nazi 15 year olds?

15 year olds aplenty, very rarely do I see your obvious wehraboos.

Jeza posted:

Has anybody tried to play The Ship in recent times? I've toyed with re-downloading it to play with a friend. Unbelievably fun online game that was kinda panned by critics, I have no idea if any servers are still populated/everybody playing it will just be a monster and it won't be fun for new players.

Dead as a box of door nails, but they are doing that HD remaster that might get a few months of life from the old girl yet. It really was a great game; all the paranoia and rampant accusatory murder of your DayZs and survival games packed into 15 minutes of physics fun.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

a year from now you can add Evolve to this thread

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Orv posted:

Dead as a box of door nails, but they are doing that HD remaster that might get a few months of life from the old girl yet. It really was a great game; all the paranoia and rampant accusatory murder of your DayZs and survival games packed into 15 minutes of physics fun.

Honestly, I think it was a pretty inspired piece of game design. I think the comparison with DayZ is apt, because the honeymoon period for that game (the mod, anyway) was truly glorious. When nobody is completely au fait with the mechanics, it is just really fun. Pretty much every round generated its own intense situations and paranoid madness. I still fondly remember the stand-off when two players turn and look at each other, and then the dawning realisation. Or ending up in jail with your target and the mad rummage to find the one randomly generated shiv.

And killing people with the one shot Flare gun is a gaming treasure, like kicking enemies off things in Dark Messiah. Thanks for info about HD Remaster, I guess I'll wait that out.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Socom 2 was great

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tribes Ascend yeah.

Movie Battles for Jedi Academy is one I really miss. Apparently it's still chugging along in some kind of weird new version with a tenth of the players and less fun. I'll pass.

Also by the time I got around to playing Blade Symphony everyone else who ever played was an insane master with thousands of hours under their belt, which is a shame because it seems pretty fun.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Movie Battles for Jedi Academy is one I really miss. Apparently it's still chugging along in some kind of weird new version with a tenth of the players and less fun. I'll pass.

It got pulled under the waves of the Sperg Sea with so many other mods in the name of realism and authenticity.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Max Payne 3 on PS3. Gang Wars was cool and I was good at it. Best MP of last gen IMO. I was the idiot that bought the season pass and got all the extra maps that no one ever played and even got some of the dumb trophies for them.

I hope somebody rips off that style of MP for a game that lives longer.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Transformers: War for Cybertron had a super fun team deathmatch mode and was probably the only game to get transforming right, it's a shame that a community never really built around it.

I'm happily surprised that Mass Effect 3's MP is still going strong and it never takes too long to find a game. For a tacked-on horde mode they did a really excellent job with it.

finna udders
Jan 28, 2005

mu
This is easily gonna be Dystopia.

Dystopia was a fantastic cyberpunk team objective-based FPS with the best gimmick - a cyberspace realm that you could jack into and bounce around the fullbright wacky physics tron matrix doing cyberbattle over control of doors, turrets, spawn room capture.

Can't really play it or recommend it to new players today, though. Even though the occasional server does pop up, see above re: insane master with thousands of hours under their belt and absolutely no mercy for newbies.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Orv posted:

It got pulled under the waves of the Sperg Sea with so many other mods in the name of realism and authenticity.
I looked at the forums for about ten minutes and I could just tell :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Realism and authenticity in a universe with space wizards and miniature plasma bottles mind you.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Moogulus Caesar posted:

This is easily gonna be Dystopia.

Dystopia was a fantastic cyberpunk team objective-based FPS with the best gimmick - a cyberspace realm that you could jack into and bounce around the fullbright wacky physics tron matrix doing cyberbattle over control of doors, turrets, spawn room capture.

Can't really play it or recommend it to new players today, though. Even though the occasional server does pop up, see above re: insane master with thousands of hours under their belt and absolutely no mercy for newbies.

Yeah it was pretty fun. It suffered a bit from balancing problems and the map design - though really pretty - had a tendency to have way too many chokepoints that resulted in stalemate sniper-war situations. Other than that though it had some excellent ideas and the cyberspace aspects were good fun.

It's a shame it died. :(

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Valkyrie Sky was a really fun shmup MMO, one of my favorites, but ultimately the game folded after the developers sued the publisher for unpaid wages.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I kind of miss zombie master. It was a hl2 mod that pretty much got killed when l4d came out. I really liked the traps in it.

I also miss jailbreak modes in games. Everything is so loving standardized in games, it's boring.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 26, 2015

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
What was the name of that Counterstrike rip-off mod for the original Unreal Tournament? I played the hell out of that. Cross map headshots with the MP5 and all. Then they updated it to be even more like CS and it just sucked.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Static Rook posted:

What was the name of that Counterstrike rip-off mod for the original Unreal Tournament? I played the hell out of that. Cross map headshots with the MP5 and all. Then they updated it to be even more like CS and it just sucked.

TACTICAL OPS: ASSAULT ON TERROR

It was pretty cool, if insanely hosed up as an actual shooter.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyone know what I'm talking about when I say "TC:Elite"?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Shattered Horizon was pretty cool in concept and looked pretty, but the devs sold off their studio and left the game in an unfinished state so they pulled it from the steam store. Can still be played on community servers I guess, if there even are any left. It'd probably be dead by now anyways, but now its really dead.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Orv posted:

TACTICAL OPS: ASSAULT ON TERROR

It was pretty cool, if insanely hosed up as an actual shooter.

Oh gently caress, thank you! TacOps, goddamn TacOps. Yeah, it wasn't really very tactical. It was still mostly UT gameplay with a thin layer of "realism" added. Very arcadey, very fun, very dead.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

blackguy32 posted:

I kind of miss zombie master. It was a hl2 mod that pretty much got killed when l4d came out. I really liked the traps in it.

I also miss jailbreak modes in games. Everything is so loving standardized in games, it's boring.

YES, zombie master was loving fantastic and there needs to be more MP games where a dungeon master like player is in charge of loving up the other players. I used to love being the zombie master and trolling the hell out of people with traps and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Tried the other day and wondering why there was so much lag, server was in Spain. It is pre-alpha (I think?) but still.

Mortal Kombat 2 is my entry. Although the nice thing is you only need one other person. Its not so bad on PS3, PC is hopeless.

• Locked thread