Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

So, someone told me i should read "Draculas," an exalted play by post, and that it would be great and fun. So, why not share the pleasures?
Word of warning though: I've never done this sort of thing before so if this dies out next week because school starts, well, that's life.

We open on

Thesaurasaurus posted:

OOC Thread

Underworld, Isle of Stygia, Western Coast

Okay, that sets the tone. I like the image, it's very moody and simple.

quote:

The world is upside-down.

Creation's Underworld is an afterimage of stable reality, the world's reflection in a blackened mirror. It is a place that should not be, dreamt into being by the nightmares of dead titans. It is the realm of the dead, where restless souls are inexorably drawn by their lingering regrets, unfinished business, or simple reluctance to move on.

The ten not-quite-dead souls drawn to the gypsum sands of Stygia's shore may or may not harbor lingering regrets, but all of them proved, at one point, reluctant to move on.

And their business is decidedly unfinished.

The ocean is an unfathomably vast expanse of liquid obsidian, marred only by two shapes of matte black floating a hundred yards from the shore. On the beach, a small party of ghosts and a handful of living humans await you, along with a dozen head of cattle, a motley assortment of grave goods, a pile of hell money, and a single sacred tree from the eastern forests of the living world.

A storm gathers on the horizon, flickering bolts of of lightning visible as brief flashes of violet incandescence. The sky above, lit by a moon of spectral crimson, begins to weep, the first few oily, black droplets of unliving hunger falling on the shore, leeching away what meager Essence the ground holds.

Here begins your voyage.

.. Well, poo poo. Allow me to eat my words, already:
THAT sets the tone. It's not great prose or anything, but it's a game I'd love to play. Miiinor nerd-quibble: Is the underworld really "Dreamt into being" by the neverborn? Oh well, poetic licence.

I am not reading all of those charecter sheets and backstories, but i might look up the sheets when nessecary. I like the names, for the most part. Standard Abyssal fare, but most of them have a good sort of rythem or theme to them. "Relic" is also wonderfully understated. Minor exalted quibble, again: Is atlantis a thing in exalted? i know the first age is antlantis-like and that there are loads of minor sunken islands, but oh well.

quote:

--Links and game stuff--
Not that interesting for a Let's read and i don't want to bloat the post unnessecarily. "all the stars in the sky are dicks" is a glorious chapter title, though. Anyway, boring stuff out of the way, prologue should be coming shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Spawn of the Devouring Wyrm

There you are.

Thought the fog of ages come and gone could hide you, hmm? Not without reason, it nearly did, but you underestimated the tenacity of your own memory. Oh, that slim forward profile and low silhouette may have passed for humble once, let you fade into the background of an age of wonders but those days are gone. Your swift wheels and blushing sails shone true in tales of tales of dreams. From your birth in the old Solar order of battle, to alleged fall in the records of the Great Revolt, then made immortal in the epic of the western war.

Now you are here. Your tale is mine.

They once called you Envoy of Eternal Peace. No more is that your name - It is your mission.

Here begins your final saga.

A hidebound tome slams shut in time with a crack of thunder. Its first page is freshly inked in blood. The herald of a sound, to some, feared more than any storm. "Crew," two dozen humans swiftly break from the assembled mass. Each is sharply dressed alike in red and black. They cascade into formation around the banner of Winter Navy, flying from the shoulders of a deathknight. They part as her hand sweeps to sea and locks unerring on the shadow floating beyond. "take a good, hard look at the Storm-Mother-loving ship where you shall serve your final days."

They look well.

"Number Eight, prepare supplies for transfer. Number Twelve, ready the inaugural sacrifices. Number Twenty-Three, chilled Tengese wine." The crew scatters in a well-ordered panic. When each is scrambling to their task the breeze turns slightly to the north, She shifts her stance. "Number four. Stay where I can see you."

The sailor sprints to stay in view as Wyrm slowly turns to face her fellow knights. "Ladies, and Skeleton," the wine arrives in hand, in time to toast, "To the sea."
Fittingly for the genre, that is alot of words to say "I sail through the fog, close a book, order my super-awesome ghostcrew around, and say hello." That said, they aren't poorly chosen words, and "Storm-mother-loving" is a good phrase. Remind me to use it. The second-person Narration is funky, and i approve.

mistaya posted:

Never Within Reach

The woman in white leather sits crosslegged on the beach, palms resting on her knees. A light gust of wind circles around her, lifting her long black hair in gentle waves. She opens her eyes and leans forwards to scoop up a small handful of gypsum sand.

The grains run through her fingers, and are blown away by the wind. Life, memory, favor- all of these things are transient and easily lost. The Whispers are pleased with this ritual of letting go, but Never only smiles. She knows that letting go of what was lost only makes room for new aquisitions.

She waits until her hands are empty before standing and brushing off her clothing. The ship awaits, and her fellow Abyssals are already gathered. She touches the round glass that sits on her left eye and gazes at the Envoy. Everything seems to be in order, and she is already aching to depart.

Never lifts the offered wine glass. "To the sea." she says. There is little sincerity in the gesture. For her, land and sea are equally worthless. Her domain is the Air. But that will wait, for now. She drains the cup and calls for another.
So, what, some sort of elemental thee going on? one's the sea person, the other claims "Air" as her domain. Interesting. I like the line about the whispers being pleased, a good way to draw that into game with a small thing. Also: Despite her "everything is transient and worthless" attitude, the line about making room for new aquisitions doesn't paint her as a very rule-following abyssal. Then again, abyssals generally aren't.

PrinnySquadron posted:

Drowned Maiden of the Unending Abyss

Maiden drummed her fingers on the hilt of her sword, impatiently . The prospect of spending Oblivion-knows-how-long on this boat for an unspecified(so far) mission put her nerves slightly on edge.Vagueness had always irritated her. That, and not knowing what you were getting yourself into had been the death of many an aspiring assassin.

Admittedly, attempting to assassinate your captain in the middle of a fight wasn't much smarter. You live and learn. Or die and learn in this case, she mused.

She pushed these thoughts to the back of her mind and raised her glass, grin returning.

"To The sea!"
One theme ends, and another begins. nothing obviously elemental here (Except the thing about being drowned, i suppose), but these charecters all have names that by Craaazy happenstance happen to be the nicknames i used for my ex. (This is false) She's blunt and the post is to the point. Thank god.

Bouquet posted:

The Waves, Ceaseless and Unending, Devour the Shore

Ceaseless stares at the storm on the horizon, trying to calculate if it might impact the upcoming voyage. After a time, he shrugs and turns his gaze to the Imminent Revelation, assuring himself that the ship was riding evenly and nothing had gone amiss overnight. The ship had handled herself well on her shakedown cruise, but Ceaseless is sure that greater challenges than capturing lightly armed Realm merchantmen and fleeing Realm naval forces await them on this voyage. He licks his painfully cracked lips at the memory of the Peleps captain's blood hot in his mouth and finds his attention drifting longingly to the cattle lowing confusedly on the strand.

Spawn of the Devouring Wyrm reaches some decision and scatters her crew to frantic obedience. Ceaseless notes the sailor heading toward the wine and makes his way over to the small cluster of Deathknights around the other ship's captain. He accepts his wine and raises his glass high.

"To the Sea!" As he drains his wine with a gulp, the proud engineer continues silently to himself with a smirk: "May your ancient little tugboat serve you well. I know our beautiful lady will do everything we ask of her."
Hm. Another theme down i suppose. Ah, damnations. I like the charecterization with him calculating stuff and being an engineer. Probably not planned, but a minor cool detail nevertheless. Also, for a game called "Draculas" in common parlace, it's had little Blood up til now. I approve of this il-begotten thirst. I'd crack a joke about exgirlfriends, but it would be both wrong (factually, that is.) and not funny.

Bardlebee posted:

The Last Forsaken Poem

Poem is silent while listening to the waves silently crash against the nypsum sands. She stands there with a disappointed look on her face for she did not want to go on that dumb boat. There was no one to talk to but the same drat people every time, though it was quite the interest to her to go to new lands. This is why she was here. Poem stood there swishing her drink around, cross-armed and dressed in her normal brilliantly dark red satin clothing. Her jet black hair danced in the coast breeze. She kept an eye on Never Within Reach, an interesting name for a person that was rather easily in reach of her.

As the boat approached she stayed silent still, her monotone expression broke with a tiny smile as she raised her glassed and murmured "Here here" as a courtesy.
Using "silent" and "silently" in the same sentence, calling herself a poem, calling the boat "dumb," wanting to go explore new lands, Dark red satin clothing... Damnit, i can't decide. Twilight joke or My Immortal joke. The lack of sparkles suggests My Immortal, the "monotone expression" and coherent writing suggests twilight.... Why not both? Ebony D'arkness Dementia Raven Way would be proud, but Bella is annoyed that a PbP game has a better title *and* a cooler monotone female lead.

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Last Damnation of Atlantis

Damnation is bored. Utterly bored. He strokes his moustache and stares off into the horizon through a spyglass, hoping his ship can finally arrive. It's been too long since he's ridden the waves, plundering ships, taking their things, and leaving their inhabitants to rot. Fighting Thorns was really rather droll. He raises his glass and joins in the toast, shouting "To the Sea!" in hearty Seatongue, but then gives the glass a dirty look afterwards. "Oughtn't have any glasses like these where we're going. Oughtn't have too much time for sipping wine like a ninny, either." The glass is dropped and crushed underfoot nonchalantly.

A fierce grin arises as the ship appears on the Horizon. "Ladies, Gentlemen, we're in for a grand old time."
His name is "damnation" and he litteraly twirls his mustache while bored. If only he didn't sound so cockney, he'd be a perfet bond villain. Also, as an added bonus, you can should DAMNATION! when he defeats you, both as a curse and as an angry shouting of his name. I approve.

OldMidgetWillow posted:

Watcher at the Gates of Sorrow

An old man in a black duster has been nonchalantly walking around the hydrofoil-bedecked ship, attempting (unsuccessfully) to conceal his appreciation. After a few circuits and a few pats on a reanimated manta's head, the grizzled old sailor strides over to the others and takes a glass. He spits and takes a swig.

"She'll do; barely, but she'll do. To the sea, then."
Black duster, nonchelance, grizzldom, and cynicism? I approve. Cool old guys are just cool in general.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Wandering Rainbow

The skeleton in warm pink and cloudy blue sat by a little sandcastle decorated in shells. It's a sloppy affair, little more than a couple of speckled mounds, but it was pretty fun regardless. There'd not been much to do to pass the time in wait, so you do what you have available, right?

The world ahead looked awfully dark and dreary and dank and other things that started with D. Let's just hope that dull isn't one of them, because at the very least we can brighten what's to come. Probably. With a little effort, in any case. I mean, that's an awfully oppressive atmosphere. It's kind of harshing my vibes.

Rainbow up until now had ignored the hustle and bustle behind them, but deigned to finally notice what was going on when they were passed a glass of wine and everyone else toasted in that weird ocean language. Not wanting to look unenthused, Rainbow called out a string of gibberish that vaguely sounded like what the others said.

"Forward and shrimp!"
This charecter is my current favorite. Makes sand castles when bored, wants to "lighten up" the underworld and shouts out gibberish not to be left out. I approve. Also, FORWARD AND SHRIMP! should be a battle-cry. I actually checked out his charecter sheet, hoping to find a clown with a smile and a rainbow-colored fro'

Krysmphoenix posted:

The Everlasting Butterfly of the Decadent Garden

"To the sea!" Butterfly shouted cheerfully as she raised her glass up, drank from it, and then placed it on top of her zombie-manservant's head. The zombie stood carefully still, holding up an umbrella to shield her from the oily ran from the delightfully dreadful sky above. And if her enchantments to keep the body from decaying and getting too dead managed to keep up, the glass could be perfectly balanced on it's head unless the wind picked up. She even found a nice suit for the poor thing to wear just for this occasion.

"So," she said, gazing out to the Envoy of Eternal Peace, "when can we get on the ship? I want to look around it already."
See, let's get away from the purple and into the hilarious. I just imagine a perky young girl dressing and undressing her poor, beleagured zombie butler and then putting glasses on its head for funzies. I smell definite "batshit crazy" here, though. Too perky, and also that name.

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Blood and Sand

At Wyrm's bidding, Crewman Number Twelve makes all haste to the ghostly priest and his celebrants and gives them the signal to begin. The nephwrack unfurls a scroll of silk-and-silver brocade and reads aloud in a low, funereal chant as the tree is ritually anointed, then chopped to kindling and set alight.

The goods and riches are heaped upon the pyre, then the cattle are brought forward, one by one, and their throats slit and their blood poured upon the flame; judging by their indifference to the butchering of their fellows, that sacrificial blood is laced with staggering quantities of the finest opium. Finally, as the last of the flames gutters and dies, the ashes are gathered and partitioned into thirds. One portion is scattered over the waves; the other two are poured into cloth sacks and given to the crews' Midnight Castes to consecrate their respective vessels.

A small fleet of rowboats awaits you, ready to ferry you and your crews to the ships.

The Imminent Revelation of Oblivion

The Revelation, formerly the Just Intercession of the Righteous, was in a far greater state of disrepair than her sister when the Bodhisattva disinterred her from her sunken grave. Accordingly, significantly more of the ship has been overhauled and replaced with necrotech, from the reanimate giant ray whose wings serve as a hydrofoil to roc-bone hulls to the secondary sails woven from the ectoplasmic "flesh" of ghosts. Nevertheless, for all the extensive work that went into her, there are some rather obvious and disappointing omissions from the retrofit; the lack of Essence-propulsion, in particular, is a glaring flaw in the design.

Oh, well. You'll just have to make do with your obscene amount of firepower.

As a patrol clipper, the ship's interior is more cozy than cramped. Amenities are rather sparse, but the armories and laboratories are fully-stocked with weapons, tools, and *ahem* raw materials. Inside the captain's quarters is a desk carved from solid ebony, its drawers firmly locked; no keyhole is in evidence.

Watcher: There's some form of sorcery sealing the drawers, but that's all you can tell. Naturally, there are no instructions.

The Envoy of Eternal PeaceStorm Mother Fucker?

One thing that immediately becomes apparent as you step below decks is that your group definitely drew the long straw. Nearly any material comfort a lady could desire is stocked aboard, courtesy of the Lover Clad in the Raiment of Tears. The ship itself has supersaturated Soulsteel panels emitting a steady stream of horror and despair, perfect for creating that atmosphere of home-away-from-home. Its cabins are lavishly furnished; its lounge looks absurdly comfortable; its bar promises the ruination of any liver, Exalted or otherwise.

Tucked away next to the spacious cargo hold (and rather tellingly, directly below the infirmary) is a necromantic workshop with every tool one could conceivably need for practicing the least circle of the black arts. Up on the bridge, Captain Wyrm finds a leather-backed chair mounted on a 360-degree pivot. It is a chair befitting one who stands above the very gods themselves, its texture and substance such that Venus herself would weep to know such pleasure. It is unquestionably Wyrm's, the best seat for the best officer, and none shall deny her.

And oh, yes, you suppose that immense console covered in buttons and levers might be important too.

A soulsteel panel is labelled as the point of activation. The captain places her thumb valiantly on the terminal and feeds it a single mote of her own Essence.

An optical array flickers to life, a spectral image fading into visibility before her.

"And a most earnest greeting to you, my captain. I am certain that I can provide anything you might require; I am - or was - a man of considerable, ah, resourcefulness."

Of all the rum joints in all the underworld, he had to turn up on yours.
Fun fact. i still have no clue what is going on. There are two groups and some are one one ship and some one the other. But why? no clue. Perhaps reading the OOC thread would useful in helping me know what the gently caress, but i am a lazy Motherfucker, so gently caress that. i'm sure i'll get it eventually.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Magnusth posted:

Fun fact. i still have no clue what is going on. There are two groups and some are one one ship and some one the other. But why? no clue. Perhaps reading the OOC thread would useful in helping me know what the gently caress, but i am a lazy Motherfucker, so gently caress that. i'm sure i'll get it eventually.

Here's some relevant bits that will clear things up.

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Through my amazing power to perform basic arithmetic, I have determined that there are exactly enough apps for two whole parties! So here's the kicker: there are going to be two whole parties!

That's right! Everyone who submitted a character is in!

I'll leave it up to you to pick teams and design your respective GHOOOOST BOAAAAATs. Once that's done, you can expect the game thread to be up within a couple hours. Who needs a social life? Not this goon!

Note: This does not necessarily mean recruitment is closed. Should anyone else finish a character before team-forming and boat-designing are over, and one or both teams be cool with bringing them on board, they're welcome to join as well.

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Based on IRC talks, it's looking like the grouping is going to be as follows:

Team 1:
A_Raving_Loon as Spawn of the Devouring Wyrm, Moonshadow Caste Captain/Artillerist
Bardlebee as The Last Forsaken Poem, Moonshadow Caste Kung-Fu Diplomat
mistaya as Never Within Reach, Day Caste Ninja
Krysmphoenix as Everlasting Butterfly of the Decadent Garden, Daybreak Caste Sorcerer/Necromancer
Mighty Dicktron as Wandering Rainbow, Midnight Caste Party Skeleton

Team 2:
oldmidgetwillow as Watcher at the Gates of Sorrow, Daybreak Caste Admiral/Necromancer
MiltonSlavemasta as Last Damnation of Atlantis, Dusk Caste First Mate/Murder Machine
MadcapViking as Daughter of Onyx and Silver, Day Caste Assassin/Spy
PrinnySquadron as Drowned Maiden of the Unending Abyss, Day Caste Melee Blender
Bouquet as The Waves, Ceaseless and Unending, Devour the Shore, Midnight Caste Engineer

If anyone has any objections to this spread, please bring them up now before I commit to it!
You'll notice some names are missing on that list, they joined the game later. (And currently, we're also undergoing some boat mixing-up as well!)

• Locked thread