Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Insane as it sounds Vytas might actually be able to fly under the radar a little with everyone worrying about Spencer and Stephen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

blue squares posted:

shut the gently caress up

So, Spencer has the perception of being really strategic, but is he? I feel like he had a great grasp of his position in the game and was funny in interviews, but did he really make any moves?

IMO, Spencer is a paper tiger. It's all hype. He's one of those "student of the game" types that doesn't actually understand the game that well. It's a game of social psychology that rewards friendship-making as much as backstabbing. He's a young college guy who has trouble controlling his temper (go back and watch Cagayan, see how pissy he could get).
Also several people have actually said they're out to get him booted first, just on principle.

That said, I'd hate to see him go first because it'd be best to see him be at the center of a powerful alliance, only to get toppled when he least expects it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

BGrifter posted:

Insane as it sounds Vytas might actually be able to fly under the radar a little with everyone worrying about Spencer and Stephen.

This is my guess as well.

As for Spencer, I don't think he's quite as good as people think he is, but I don't think he's too far under that level either. He was stuck in a shitstorm where he basically had no choice but to fall in line and play a reactive game. We haven't seen him play where he's in a position to be ahead of the game, so it's unfair to really judge. I think he's going to be a lot like Cochran was his second time around where he's better socially because of his previous experience. That's not to say I think he'll win, but I think we'll see a more skilled player this time around.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Met posted:

"Maybe he won't be annoying this thread. I'll go ahead and take him off my ignore list."

That was fast.

You must have had the two folks I was responding to on your ignore list.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

blue squares posted:

You must have had the two folks I was responding to on your ignore list.

Nah, you were just being overreactionary and annoying

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Isn't deliberately piling on a ton of weight just before going on the show an advisable tactic?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Shakugan posted:

Isn't deliberately piling on a ton of weight just before going on the show an advisable tactic?

It's the Penner move and is totally a good idea.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

savinhill posted:

Nah, you were just being overreactionary and annoying

the Ted Cruz avatar has been taking over my mind I think

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

The Lord Bude posted:

Did he get the chance to make many moves though? I don't often go back and rewatch past seasons, but my recollection is that much like cochran the first time round he was dealt a poo poo hand and never really got the chance to put his poo poo in motion. He certainly always seemed to have a good grasp of what was happening, and what needed to happen to further his position, but he was never really in a position to actually do it.
Cochran's second run was 50% that and 50% the flawless social game he pulled out of loving nowhere when in his first season he was every inch the nerd who couldn't make any inroads with the cool cliques.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Shakugan posted:

The go-to thought on this seems to be that you'd want to pack on weight, then gradually decrease your daily intake leading up to the start of the show to avoid serious hunger pains.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
If you are still getting the nutrients you need, you can go to an ultra low calorie diet about 5-6 days before. That's how long it takes for ketosis to kick in where you will no longer feel hungry. Those first few days are awful though, and I wouldn't want to try to start such a physically and emotionally stressful game as survivor while also trying to battle intense hunger.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Spatula City posted:

IMO, Spencer is a paper tiger. It's all hype. He's one of those "student of the game" types that doesn't actually understand the game that well. It's a game of social psychology that rewards friendship-making as much as backstabbing.

Yeah, most dudes who talk eloquently about strategy are generally accepted as "good at Survivor," even if their actual gameplay doesn't necessarily bear it out (the fascination with Marty in this thread will never not confound me)

It's funny because Spencer's strongest asset might have actually been his social game - other than Kass, everyone seemed to really like him. He was a jury threat for a reason beyond the default assumption that a smart white dude who talks about gameplay is actually a strategic mastermind.

xbilkis fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 31, 2015

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

BGrifter posted:

It's the Penner move and is totally a good idea.

Is this sarcasm? Extra fat won't do anything for you other than make you suck a bit more physically, and increase the weight you have to deal with for those challenges that have adjusted individual requirements.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Asiina posted:

If you are still getting the nutrients you need, you can go to an ultra low calorie diet about 5-6 days before. That's how long it takes for ketosis to kick in where you will no longer feel hungry. Those first few days are awful though, and I wouldn't want to try to start such a physically and emotionally stressful game as survivor while also trying to battle intense hunger.

You don't feel hungry but you're weak as a kitten because your body is eating itself. The guy who feels hungry because he hasn't eaten anything but rice in 2 days is going to beat the guy who doesn't feel hungry but hasn't eaten anything but rice in 6 days and win actual food by doing so.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

cock hero flux posted:

You don't feel hungry but you're weak as a kitten because your body is eating itself. The guy who feels hungry because he hasn't eaten anything but rice in 2 days is going to beat the guy who doesn't feel hungry but hasn't eaten anything but rice in 6 days and win actual food by doing so.

Did I say eat nothing but rice for 6 days before starting? Try reading again.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I enjoyed watching Spencer but then I actually read his bio and saw Mitt Romney is his inspiration in life.

I suppose I can still enjoy watching Spencer. Some of his reactions during the basketball challenge early in Cagayan were loving fantastic.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Asiina posted:

Did I say eat nothing but rice for 6 days before starting? Try reading again.

Sorry you didn't notify me that you were an enormous pedant in your post, my mistake.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

DaisyDanger posted:

I enjoyed watching Spencer but then I actually read his bio and saw Mitt Romney is his inspiration in life.

I'm pretty sure he is a mormon, so that makes sense.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

DaisyDanger posted:

I suppose I can still enjoy watching Spencer. Some of his reactions during the basketball challenge early in Cagayan were loving fantastic.

I mean how would you react to J'Tia? She was horrible every step of the way. I didn't like them all calling the woman-trying-to-lead bossy though.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Spencer has a strong chance due to his ability to perceive what is actually happening. Knowing what is actually happening gives you a chance to adapt your game. However, he may be outclassed by this cast, a lot of whom also have a history of perceiving what is actually happening.

Ironically this is why Keith will probably make the merge.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I'm actually pretty positive on Keith's chances, because he's one of the least threatening strategic players out there so he won't be a target, and although he isn't the obvious alpha male challenge beast type he does have a good amount of individual challenge wins. If I had to pick one person who is most likely to be in the final three, Keith might be it, simply because pretty much everyone else is a bigger target.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Why does Spencer have such a target painted on him? Recency bias?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Narcissus1916 posted:

He's seen as one of the smartest and most strategic players on this season (along with Stephen).

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

He's young, very smart, and very good at challenges. He was also very convincing when he argued for the Tony win at final tribal, so add eloquent n articulate into the mix too.

kitten
Feb 6, 2003

Piell posted:

I'm actually pretty positive on Keith's chances, because he's one of the least threatening strategic players

He what?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

kitten posted:

He what?

I meant as in he has no strategic skill, not that he is a strategic player.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

I don't get why people are so excited for Keith. All I remember of him was him ruining a blindside during a tribal council.

kitten
Feb 6, 2003

Piell posted:

I meant as in he has no strategic skill, not that he is a strategic player.

Oh okay, after I posted that, I was hoping that was what you meant.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

aidoru posted:

I don't get why people are so excited for Keith. All I remember of him was him ruining a blindside during a tribal council.

Because stupid people that don't know what they often make the most memorable moments (e.g., Keith, Erik, J'Tia, any Hantz, etc)

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
This cast still isn't really doing it for me.

And the fact that Shane isn't there makes me just want to see Terry run the most boring knuckle-dragging game possible and win, as punishment to everyone.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

aidoru posted:

I would take a million Keiths over a single Woo (who didn't do anything but make a super dumb but not interesting choice in taking Tony) or a Wigglesworth (who, at least from her pregame interview with RHAP< doesn't even seem like she wants to play).

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Finished Cagayan. Far, far less interested in Woo. I'm okay with the rest of the folks from that season though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Piell posted:

I would take a million Keiths over a single Woo (who didn't do anything but make a super dumb but not interesting choice in taking Tony) or a Wigglesworth (who, at least from her pregame interview with RHAP< doesn't even seem like she wants to play).

All three of them are lovely

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Got to Coach's Amazon story in Tocantins. This man is insane.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I'm watching this mostly for Jeremy's confessionals. All-stars can have pre-game alliances that kill the season and half this cast is made of average to very bad players.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Met posted:

That's actually the toned down TV version with considerably less pygmy rape.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Met posted:

You should read the book some guy wrote about his solo kayak trip from a diary he found on a beach.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Does anyone have a link to that RHAP Episode where Rob interviewed a Survivor Recruiter? Not having much luck through googling because I don't know his name.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Met posted:

Does anyone have a link to that RHAP Episode where Rob interviewed a Survivor Recruiter? Not having much luck through googling because I don't know his name.

Is it this one?

http://robhasawebsite.com/survivor-2014-cbs-casting-ken-raskoff-interview/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That looks right. Thanks!

• Locked thread