Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
This is something I've always wondered. Who exactly is buying new cars?

I understand you've got fleet cars and poo poo -- car rental companies, taxis, police/fire/emergency services/etc., they get massive discounts due to sheer volume and have a large army of bean counters calculating all the various costs and finding that perfect triple point of when to ditch the old and get the new.

Then you've got the the super-rich-who-just-don't-give-a-gently caress and can buy whatever they want when they want, and then you've got the subsequent subset of people who wish they were the super-rich-who-just-don't-give-a-gently caress but aren't quite there yet, they're just in the top 96 or 97 percent of the population with a comfy 6-figure income and benefits. Nevertheless, they always need to have a new car ever two or three years, always something somewhat flashy, and always on a lease ('cause they can't actually afford to pay cash outright for it lol). Thank gently caress for them though because they make 10 year old M3s affordable to the rest of us plebs.

So, who else are buying new cars? Are there really that many people out there -- average Joe Shmoes and Mary Muffins -- buying the 2016 Toyota Corolla instead of a 2013 for half the price? What is the mentality behind that decision? The only thing people ever seem to say is "blah blah blah I like the comfort and safety of a full coverage warranty and... you know, with used cars you never know how the last person drove it!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Non-poors.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am getting a new car in a week!

It is because my old car was worth far more than I expected, even though it is 7 years old.

So yeah, I am getting a great bargain on a new car.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Also if someone is selling a car that they only used for a year, I like to assume they knew well inadvace that they were never going to keep it. Who the gently caress buys a new Corolla only to sell it 1-3 years later? Corolla's are not status symbols. They are cheap, reliable cars. Thus if I saw someone selling one from 1-3 years ago I'd immediately assumed it was hosed.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

the only regular people that seem to buy new cars are uber drivers.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
New cars are a terrible investment. Used cars are all pieces of poo poo.

Leasing owns.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Melmac posted:

Non-poors.

Non-poors don't buy new econoboxes but somebody does.

WHO!?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Literal retards who are dumb enough to get convinced by a car salesman that it really is a terrible idea to buy a used car because you just don't if it will last! Here, buy this brand new scion instead.

Their version of researching what car to buy is picking whatever manufacturer their family or friends tell them is good, walking into the showroom, and asking a salesman what to buy.

mehmedbasic
Jul 6, 2015
A short list:

- People with a non-crap credit rating (at least in Denmark where a 2009 Corolla will cost you ~20k USD).
- People who don't like to gently caress around with spare parts and wrenches.
- People who want the top notch safety rating even though they'll probably die anyway in any car crash above 50mph.
- Rich people?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i have a used ride but the exhaust blew out so im taking it in to get it fixed. ill make sure ur mom is back in time for dinner.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EugeneJ posted:

Leasing owns.

Debt is American dream soldier

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
yeah actually leasing is for fuckin posers, buying a new car is for scrubs. if all the used cars you've seen are pieces of poo poo, maybe you should check out this automaker called "toyota", they have these cars they call the "camry" and "corolla" and you can buy one from anytime in the last 25 years and it will just go. forever. as long as you change the oil

but see then you actually gotta be a cool and interesting person because people won't gravitate towards you based on your super cool looking bmw or whatever.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

ha ha ha the way poors talk is always great

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Leasing is for scrubs. Grats on spending as much as a new car purchase and having to give the car back in 3 years lol.

In my experience as an insurance dude, new car buyers are:

People that have their poo poo together and buy a new car that they plan on having last forever, and they do this like once every 6-10 years. These people are cool.

People that do not have their poo poo together, and will likely be having this car repo'd in the next 2 yearse. These people are not cool.

The super rich that just HAVE to have the latest thing.

Their parents are buying it for them, see the point above.

Used cars being the best bet isn't as true today as it used to be. You can get a brand new car for only a few grand more than the few year old model, plus you often get better financing on the newer car-if you have your poo poo together.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Hated the idea of new cars but I wanted a Subaru and the only used ones in the area at the time were 20 year old poo poo boxes with lots of body rust. Managed to get zero percent financing on the previous year's model and got a pretty good deal. Hopefully it will last and then it'll be my rusty shitbox being sold used in 20 years.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Hope you got one that doesn't have stuck piston rings. Check your oil...

I hope to only ever buy a vehicle with cash. It's worked for me thus far, as it did for my parents before me. At this point if you have a decent job and don't live paycheck to paycheck you can easily save up 10-15k every couple years so you can pretty much buy a nice used car every couple years (though mine last 5+ years.)

I mean it's just not worth going into debt over when cheap toyotas are on craigslist all day long.

BelgianWaffle
Aug 25, 2002
damn Belgian
My next car will be an Alfa Romeo as well. Instead of a car supermarket I'm buying it directly from an official AR dealer.

More expensive but more service.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I bought a used car in great condition for $8k, and one of my idiot coworkers bought a brand new fully loaded Subaru WRX for like $35k, and I got more compliments on my new car than he did and you could tell he was annoyed.

I don't really care about what people think about my car, but I enjoyed that he was pissed because he's a loving douche bag.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

there's lots of dumb people out there

I worked a second job for some school savings and all my other older co-workers were working 60 hours a week to make ends meet. They had kids, they chainsmoked, and all had new car payments.

like drop the smoking and car and you'd get to be at home and not get run ragged for pennies

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Nodelphi posted:

Hated the idea of new cars but I wanted a Subaru and the only used ones in the area at the time were 20 year old poo poo boxes with lots of body rust. Managed to get zero percent financing on the previous year's model and got a pretty good deal. Hopefully it will last and then it'll be my rusty shitbox being sold used in 20 years.

Bought the wyfe a Subaru forester new 9 years ago. Still looks p new, drives the same, only thing that went wrong was the driver side electric window died last year (switch block on the arm rest thingy) and it kinda eats front tyres faster than the rears so fit cooper tyres not those it comes with, and um.. I dunno, it's boring as poo poo to drive but she likes it. About the same time I bought my XR8 ford and I'll need another 200 words or so to list the things that broke on that in 7 years.

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's

EugeneJ posted:

Leasing owns.

This is literally the worst investment of capital ever...there's absolutely no reason to throw away your money on a lease other than you like wasting your money on the newest gadgets hoping they'll finally install that mythical pussy magnet.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
If you buy a new car to swap it after 3 years you're silly. If you want it for 10+ plus it's not so bad.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lol if you're too poor to buy a new car straight cash homie

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
lol if you don't get all your new cars on the Price is Right

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

yeah actually leasing is for fuckin posers, buying a new car is for scrubs. if all the used cars you've seen are pieces of poo poo, maybe you should check out this automaker called "toyota", they have these cars they call the "camry" and "corolla" and you can buy one from anytime in the last 25 years and it will just go. forever. as long as you change the oil

but see then you actually gotta be a cool and interesting person because people won't gravitate towards you based on your super cool looking bmw or whatever.

People always lie about how much money they drain into their 10-year old shitbox.

Always.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

Yeah I had a camry once and it loving started on fire while I was driving it

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Omnitrix posted:

This is literally the worst investment of capital ever...there's absolutely no reason to throw away your money on a lease other than you like wasting your money on the newest gadgets hoping they'll finally install that mythical pussy magnet.

Maybe if you're leasing a BMW or something.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

People always lie about how much money they drain into their 10-year old shitbox.

Always.

under $1000 a year is easy. with a japanese car that's been well taken care of you can get down to like $400. seriously, it's so much cheaper than a new car it's not funny. You just gotta do your research and buy a model that doesn't have major issues, where the biggest work you'll have to do is replace the timing belt every 100k.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 30, 2015

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
but apparently you think leasing is a good idea (it's never a good idea) so I'm not sure I trust your opinions or experience in regards to used car ownership. Thanks for generating nice used cars for me to buy though by paying too much for a lease! I'm the guy that buys them as the second or third owner.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

but apparently you think leasing is a good idea (it's never a good idea) so I'm not sure I trust your opinions or experience in regards to used car ownership.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
I did once.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Basically only NEETs and literal human garbage don't buy new cars. Driving to Porsche dealer to get waifu a new Cayenne.

Check you later losers. Have fun posting about cucks and whatnot.

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 30, 2015

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Non white trash

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
seems like some kind of boomer throwback middle class status symbol to me. in fact a hell of a lot of things related to cars are like that

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

lol if you don't get all your new cars on the Price is Right

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

a dollar is too much to bid for the new hyundai :smuggo:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Even if you want a basically new car, you can get a used one of them for much cheaper. My car was 70k new, I got it with only 7k miles on it for like 52k and I mean it was more or less still new.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

but apparently you think leasing is a good idea (it's never a good idea)

This is one of the things ingrained in American culture like "mortgages are a good long term investment" that are negated by retarded amounts of maintenance and upkeep.

Such as...

under $1000 a year is easy.

Are you proud of draining $1000/year to keep your clunker running. :911:

If you do the math, leasing a compact car where you don't have to worry about maintenance at all is no more expensive than driving a money pit that you bought used. I'd rather lease something reliable than worry about it breaking down.

:shrug:

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
my most recent acquisition almost works perfectly and i've only spent a month (including two weeks off for good behavior lolz) on it. 2006 with under 100k and 5 previous owners? SIGN ME UP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

buying used cars is buying other peoples problems

• Locked thread