Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Buying a new car helped me get a nice apartment because of my credit score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BelgianWaffle posted:

My next car will be an Alfa Romeo as well. Instead of a car supermarket I'm buying it directly from an official AR dealer.

More expensive but more service.

people want to buy italian cars?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

people want to buy italian cars?

idiots want to buy italian cars

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

also lolling at people who can't afford a low cost car loan this song is for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQTuYo6HmiQ

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Snatch Duster posted:

id buy a ferrari if i could pay cash

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Teflon Don posted:

Buying a new car helped me get a nice apartment because of my credit score.

I went from zero credit to being pre-approved for a mortgage by buying a cheeseburger on a credit card once a month for three months, so.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Just bought a 2015 corolla to replace my 2003 that I've been driving since I was 16. The cars work all the time (never had a breakdown), and if you're going to drive it for more than 5 years you're going to have several years without a car payment, which makes buying more attractive than leasing (which is for scrubs).

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Raider posted:

id buy a ferrari if i could pay cash

The only Italian car that i might buy would be Maserati.

Idk ferrari is a car i associate with pos dicks and rent to drive for 1 mile scams

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
So far I have owned four second hand cars in my life. I am completely poo poo at mechanical stuff so keep this in mind.

The first was ruined when the timing belt broke on the highway. It was scheduled to be replaced with the last service but obviously the guy told them not to bother.

The second one had its ecu gently caress up a month after I sold it.

The other two have been absolutely fantastic and trouble free.

I'm not sure what the moral is

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Decrepus posted:

I went from zero credit to being pre-approved for a mortgage by buying a cheeseburger on a credit card once a month for three months, so.

gently caress off randy cheeseburger graveyard bobandy

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Snatch Duster posted:

I test drove an Alfa when I was living in Europe and it was a fantastic little car (especially compared to the poo poo Toyota Aygo I was driving at the time). At some point in my life, despite knowing full well about the... "quirks" of Italian cars, I still want to own an Alfa, though likely as a secondary car.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Raider posted:

yeah you pretty much have to bribe people to buy a focus

Was getting 40 mpg on my last road trip.

Gas was 2 bucks a gallon at the time, drove a 3rd way across the U.S. with another person, a dog, and lots of baggage for 40 dollars.

A burrito cost 7 dollars, and I drove 700 miles for 40. Just to put that into perspective.

While listening to podcasts and music wirelessly with Microsoft sync. Car owns.

If we flew it would have cost like 1k.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
Buy an old decent condition subaru wagon for practicality, use the money saved to buy another older unique/fun drivers car or a motorbike for the total cost of one new beigemobile. This can be scaled up or down depending how poor you are.

spleen merchant fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 1, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I could buy two or three new shitboxes cash but why would I. My 12 year old Miata costs me like $100/year in maintenance and I'd sooner buy a used M3 that the a new piece of poo poo with less power than my blender.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
check the new ride

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
my next vehicle is gonna be a good redneck truck

what's a good kind to bye?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

my next vehicle is gonna be a good redneck truck

what's a good kind to bye?

Jeep comanche

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
thinking maybe I should get my hands on some 4x4 shitbox for the winter around here

my car really sucks in snow

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Monkey Fracas posted:

thinking maybe I should get my hands on some 4x4 shitbox for the winter around here

my car really sucks in snow

Have you tried snow tires

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mange Mite posted:

Have you tried snow tires

guess I could get some of those cheap steelie rims and put tires on them

is it like a marginal improvement or major

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
loving HUGE. You'll be able to stop more or less like normal while driving on snow.

I drove all over the rockies during the winter to go skiing for 10 years, first with a jetta and then with a camry. Literally I'd see it was dumping and head 18 hours west. I passed stuck 4x4s left right and center.

manual transmission + snow tires makes you pretty unstoppable until the snow gets deep enough that you're snowplowing with your bumper

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Monkey Fracas posted:

guess I could get some of those cheap steelie rims and put tires on them

is it like a marginal improvement or major

Significant. Better than awd id say since they help you turn and stop, and not just when accelerating

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
didnt read a word, just wanted to lol at how poor op is.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
lol @ paying hundreds of dollars a month to drive a garbage car that has been ruined by tech bloat, emissions, and safety regulations. this might be the golden era of cheap power, but there are very few new cars on the market that haven't been ruined by pedestrian safety requirements (obscenely high hoods, belt lines, tiny porthole windows, every car is 1000lbs more than it needs to be etc) its weird because right now is the best time to buy a motor ever, but probably the worst time in history for the chassis part (except maybe the pre-08 domestic market.) It is going to be mandatory for all cars including coupes, convertibles to have rear back up cameras because beltlines are being pushed so high. Yikes. As far as stuff poors can afford there's still some cool & good exceptions to the rule (ford, subaru) but really most domestics suck and most japanese cars (toyota, honda) are underwhelming & riding off the coattails of the reputations they estabilished in the 90s. Koreans are showing promise but all their cars still bore me so I wouldn't buy one. Europeans still make good cars but poors can't afford them.

abigserve posted:

So far I have owned four second hand cars in my life. I am completely poo poo at mechanical stuff so keep this in mind.

The first was ruined when the timing belt broke on the highway. It was scheduled to be replaced with the last service but obviously the guy told them not to bother.

The second one had its ecu gently caress up a month after I sold it.

The other two have been absolutely fantastic and trouble free.

I'm not sure what the moral is

moral is replace the timing belt on any used car you buy unless you have paperwork showing the mileage and date it was last replaced on? and even then i'd still look around the engine bay for the timing belt's maintenance sticker because previous owners are universally dumb shits. timing belts are the one preventative maintenance thing that will total your motor like that if you neglect it. if you can pay for a timing belt every 5yrs and remember to get oil changes you can run pretty much any used car into the ground for eternity.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 1, 2015

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

loving HUGE. You'll be able to stop more or less like normal while driving on snow.

I drove all over the rockies during the winter to go skiing for 10 years, first with a jetta and then with a camry. Literally I'd see it was dumping and head 18 hours west. I passed stuck 4x4s left right and center.

manual transmission + snow tires makes you pretty unstoppable until the snow gets deep enough that you're snowplowing with your bumper

Hey, it's a manual so hopefully my eclipse can become winter hardened and Not-lovely to drive in the winter; I'll give it a shot

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

timing belts are the one preventative maintenance thing that will total your motor like that if you neglect it.

this is if your motor is an interference motor

otherwise you'll just need a tow

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Honsetly the biggest thing I'd say is get whatever, just dotn' get it at a Buy Here Pay Here Place. They need to be burned to the ground and are likely responsible for more bankruptcies, relationship splits, and general poverty than any stupid car purchasing decision elsewhere.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

It is going to be mandatory for all cars including coupes, convertibles to have rear back up cameras because beltlines are being pushed so high.

The first time I experienced rear visibility problems was on a newer Ford Fiesta. Fun to drive, but street parking is just stupid. You can't tell if you have 6 inches or 6 feet between you and the car behind. It's an itty bitty car, but I wouldn't dare street park it without ample room.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
drive up past the spot, you can eyeball how much space is there. The car is tiny

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Decrepus posted:

I guess being a fat goon does pay off in the long run.

Jesus Christ posted:

I test drove an Alfa when I was living in Europe and it was a fantastic little car (especially compared to the poo poo Toyota Aygo I was driving at the time). At some point in my life, despite knowing full well about the... "quirks" of Italian cars, I still want to own an Alfa, though likely as a secondary car.

Yes you buy a car for its italian charm not for other boring things like reliability and good resale value.

etalian fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 2, 2015

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I bought a 2015 Subaru Impreza and couldn't be happier.
I can see myself being in this car for at least 10 years.

Everything else I've had before had been a hand-me-down.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Lufiron posted:

uhhh unless you get the turbo version (which most people don't) they're slow as poo poo

Obvs meant the turbo version

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

ChairmanMeow posted:

drive up past the spot, you can eyeball how much space is there. The car is tiny

In a tight spot, I don't like going by feel and instinct. I like the knowledge that I'm going to be good. I don't make enough money to regularly get into fender benders, Mr. Rockefeller.

crazy eights
Aug 23, 2015

by Lowtax
lol at craigslist being less reputable than a dealership.

ya someone from CL might lie to you but you should be able to feel it out if you have a shred of a brain. Dealerships are professional liars and scam artists who make a living by cheating every idiot who steps onto the lot.

crazy eights fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 2, 2015

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

In a tight spot, I don't like going by feel and instinct. I like the knowledge that I'm going to be good. I don't make enough money to regularly get into fender benders, Mr. Rockefeller.

my car is encased in bubblewrap

crazy eights
Aug 23, 2015

by Lowtax
just got a bareeeellllyyy used car off the dealership lot. this baby is certified pre owned and spotless.

[car is a title washed lemon that was totaled after being submerged in katrina]

buy from private sellers on craigslist you idiots.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

lol if you don't somersault everywhere for your primary method of transportation

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Turmoil posted:

I bought a 2015 Subaru Impreza and couldn't be happier.
I can see myself being in this car for at least 10 years.

I would never make a post like this after I buy a new car. God/Fate/The Elements don't like cockiness, you're essentially going, "I'll live 10+ more years, no problem". Only way you stay in that car for 10 more years is if you drive it into the sea and go undiscovered.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Armchair Calvinist posted:

lol if you don't somersault everywhere for your primary method of transportation

I used to, but my back went bad. I'm stuck pogo-sticking to work now. Really blows. Can't even lock it up, so I have to hide it in the brush when I want to park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

crazy eights posted:

lol at craigslist being less reputable than a dealership.

ya someone from CL might lie to you but you should be able to feel it out if you have a shred of a brain. Dealerships are professional liars and scam artists who make a living by cheating every idiot who steps onto the lot.

they also enjoy raping people with overpriced repair bills

Yup it cost hundreds of dollars to change engine and cabin air filters.

• Locked thread