Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Blue Raider posted:

buying used cars is buying other peoples problems

its like dating but you dont go to prison for tearing it into pieces to fix whats broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
the 'rents used to go on about how it was dumb to buy a new car because it loses a big chunk of its value as soon as they drive it out of the dealers yard. then at some point they had a change of heart and now they are all about the new cars because known service history and w/e.

im not complaining though, i got their old car which still works great as a hand-me-down.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Bought a 91 accord in 2007 and it lasted me with very little maintenance into 2015. Cost me maybe 2.5k with another 1.5 of work going into it over the years

lol at your money pits

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

"I lease cars"

-- no one who is rich or will ever be rich

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Got an '08 madza 3 in 2010, only maintenance type expense I did was oil changes as it was pretty reliable. Put 80k miles on it and traded it for a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, holy poo poo is this Jeep a financial sinkhole.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

Maybe if you're leasing a BMW or something.

The market for used euro cars in the US is hilarious.

You want $12k for a 12 year old BMW with 130k miles that needs work and had a new engine installed because some kid blew up the old one by red-lining it cold every morning? Are you serious?

BUT IT'S A BIMMER!

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Kuato posted:

Got an '08 madza 3 in 2010, only maintenance type expense I did was oil changes as it was pretty reliable. Put 80k miles on it and traded it for a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, holy poo poo is this Jeep a financial sinkhole.

Welp

The_Franz posted:

The market for used euro cars in the US is hilarious.

Unless its a big scary import nobody has tools for and the only spanner is the owner :keke:

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Skeleton Ape posted:

"I lease cars"

more like every rich person because the cars are leased by the company they work for.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
How rich could they be if they have to work

crazy eights
Aug 23, 2015

by Lowtax
I bought my used car for cash off CL because I'm not a moron. I have spent less than 500 on repairs in the 3 years I've owned it cuz I'm not a moron. Bye

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

crazy eights posted:

I bought my used car for cash off CL because I'm not a moron. I have spent less than 500 on repairs in the 3 years I've owned it cuz I'm not a moron. Bye

I bet you getting mad puss in that 94 suburu legacy

CptJackLaser
Jul 16, 2013

Skeleton Ape posted:

"I lease cars"

This is absolutely correct. It is literally throwing your money away for the opportunity to drive a car for a few years. You get zero return on the money and, as a thank you, you get to put down another $3-4k on the next car you lease. The only decent car purchase is a slightly used car.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The dilemma I see with buying a used car is this:

People want a car that is both cheap and reliable, i.e. the best of both worlds. The problem with this is that a used car that is cheap is often cheap because it has reliability problems. Look at the depreciation values in Kelly Blue Book for different used cars- its not only based on demand but also reliability. Getting a used Honda Civic in excellent condition isn't going to end up being that much cheaper than buying one new, particularly if you have the cash/excellent credit.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

I bought my car brand new, had it trucked from Texas because I was able to save about 3000 by buying from there. Fully loaded.

Will have the car paid off in two years.

P.rad in my opinion. Guess I am a literal demon.

Edit: phone spellling

Professor of Cats fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 30, 2015

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

i want to get that 20 year old american sports car for 5 grand off of craigslist. some dad polished that poo poo and kept in the garage all the time, less than 80,000 miles on it. no rust, he spent more time taking care of it than enjoying it.

im going to drive it to work every day in the snow. gonna ruin it. gonna do donuts in the VFW parking lot on the way back.

then ill get another one in a couple years when i blow the engine apart.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Universe Master posted:

more like every rich person because the cars are leased by the company they work for.

And if you use the car for company business, the lease payments and mileage are tax deductable

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Bacon Hat posted:

i want to get that 20 year old american sports car for 5 grand off of craigslist. some dad polished that poo poo and kept in the garage all the time, less than 80,000 miles on it. no rust, he spent more time taking care of it than enjoying it.

im going to drive it to work every day in the snow. gonna ruin it. gonna do donuts in the VFW parking lot on the way back.

then ill get another one in a couple years when i blow the engine apart.

A neighbor of my folks is currently doing this to a 280Z. It was pristine when bought from an estate sale, and now the clearcoat is mostly gone and at least two lights are covered with tape from where he smacked it into poo poo.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Certified pre-owned all day, every day.

Buy just off lease luxury cars with a warranty and laugh at retards that buy new.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

I bought a used car in great condition for $8k, and one of my idiot coworkers bought a brand new fully loaded Subaru WRX for like $35k, and I got more compliments on my new car than he did and you could tell he was annoyed.

I don't really care about what people think about my car, but I enjoyed that he was pissed because he's a loving douche bag.

stdh.txt gets another entry

nuclear_cheetos
Apr 22, 2005

mmmmmmmm......cheesy!
Bought a used 2014 FiST for 16k delivered instead of a new 2015 Mazda 3 for 17,9. There is tremendous value in both.

Also FiST was a lease turn in with less than 16k miles.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

buy a $500 used car, just walk away when it breaks down in traffic :feelsgood:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Snatch Duster posted:

Basically only NEETs and literal human garbage don't buy new cars. Driving to Porsche dealer to get waifu a new Cayenne.

Check you later losers. Have fun posting about cucks and whatnot.

Dude in my bldg just bought a new Macan S and I rode in it yesterday. It was pretty nice, possibly more fun than the Cayenne which is kidn of fat. Ill ask him if i can try it out next time and let you know

crazy eights
Aug 23, 2015

by Lowtax

FIRST TIME posted:

Buy just off lease luxury cars with a warranty and laugh at retards that buy new.

lol "certified pre owned." I think you mea "used" there lil buddy. ;)

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

coworker who lives in a poo poo hole apartment complaining that she can't save for a down payment for a house just bought a brand new subaru with a 350 a month payment. god knows what the apr and length of the loan is

cars are a poo poo investment, buy a used toyota or maybe honda with good maintenence history if you don't pull 6 figures and spend your money on something better like oh i dunno not eating ramen every day

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'll never own a brand new car. "Newish" sure, I try to keep it under 50k when buying.

I actually need to buy a car in the next week or so. My 2011 Camry was totalled by a rock butt loving my coolant tub or something. I don't know. I don't think the dealership actually knew what they were talking about either.

Anyhow. I probably won't buy a corolla unless I think I can fix their handling bullshit and increase the horsepower with a cold air intake or something.

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!
what year did they start adding gps's INSIDE the cars???

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Prof. Lurker posted:

what year did they start adding gps's INSIDE the cars???

1991, god.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=first+gps+car

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

The nice thing about buying new is you can get the exact car you want 99% of the time. The interest rates on a used car loan are higher than a new car, too.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Bought a new Ford Focus at the end of the year because the next models were out so they were discounting the old ones.

You get like 5 years of free services like if you run out of gas they will drive to you and fill you up with 2 gallons. (Think there is a limited of twice a month)

Plus there is like 10 more things like that I get for free over the next 5 years.

Plus a new car that doesn't have another drivers farts in the seat.

Plus massive discounts since it was my first car I bought myself.

Dealership keeps emailing me with free oil changed and 250 dollars of credit to their dealership for whatever maintenance.

Feels good man.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I've gotten back what I spent on my last three used cars, purchase price wise. After putting 100K+ on them. Once a car hits 150k it's not really gonna depreciate any more, so when I spend like $2500 on a car, I know that I can put maybe $2500 into it and make it run for like 5 more years, then sell it to some highschool kid for more or less what I paid for it.

That means I spent $2500 for five years of worry free motoring. And the only reason I sell them usually is because some $250 repair crops up and instead of just getting it fixed I convince myself I want a new ride.

My last car (1998 jeep cherokee) I actually made money on. Bought for 1700 (with a bunch of work having just been done by the previous owner), replaced some easy to replace parts, put 30k on it, then sold it for 1800.

If you've got the need for a super nice new car for whatever reason (I take long road trips with muddy bikes and wet skis all the time, so I prefer reliable beaters), this is the way to do it:

FIRST TIME posted:

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 31, 2015

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
companies lease new cars.

Only idiots buy new cars

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Prorat posted:

Bought a new Ford Focus at the end of the year because the next models were out so they were discounting the old ones.

You get like 5 years of free services like if you run out of gas they will drive to you and fill you up with 2 gallons. (Think there is a limited of twice a month)

Plus there is like 10 more things like that I get for free over the next 5 years.

Plus a new car that doesn't have another drivers farts in the seat.

Plus massive discounts since it was my first car I bought myself.

Dealership keeps emailing me with free oil changed and 250 dollars of credit to their dealership for whatever maintenance.

Feels good man.

Oil changes cost almost nothing and you're getting the same lovely roadside assistance that is included free with a credit card.

It's like when my parents bought a new car years ago and the offer was "$200 worth of free scratch off lottery tickets with any new car purchase!"

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

EugeneJ posted:

Oil changes cost almost nothing and you're getting the same lovely roadside assistance that is included free with a credit card.

It's like when my parents bought a new car years ago and the offer was "$200 worth of free scratch off lottery tickets with any new car purchase!"

What credit cards?

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Never buy an American car.

Ever.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Kuato posted:

I like how the name of that car slyly refers to you as a rube

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

spud posted:

Ever.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

spud posted:

Ever.

This deserves repeating x10000

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

i buy new cars and fart a whole lot in them then trade them in with my fart smell

and i usually have had the shifter up my pooper unless its on the side of the steering wheel.

and i tune every radio station to talk radio.

and leave the album Thank you. By Duran Duran in the thing so when it starts up they hear it

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

spud posted:

Ever.

All my cars have and will continue to be Ford's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
buy a new car every 10 years. I've only got what, like 5 cars left i'm gonna own until i die/don't give a poo poo anymore? may as well not drive around in a piece of poo poo . but then again, I enjoy the automotive experience, if you will

• Locked thread