Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Mange Mite posted:

yeah a dealership would never cheat their customers

I bought my used car from a dealership a few years ago, a car that had 12.5k on it. Seemed like a great deal, but then when I had to replace the battery and a cord/wire that attaches to the battery my odometer came up as 200k+

The dealership I got it from was the typical scuzzy place, I didn't bother to phone them since it was almost a year later, but I should have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

having to own a car is awful

america is a shithole

WHAT?!?! Owning a car is FREEDOM. Paying several hundred dollars per month, spending another $30-50 per week on fuel, plus routine maintenance? Son, if you aren't doing that you aren't living.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just bought a 2016 subaru forester turbo, good or bad idea?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Bought a Fit to replace my 17 year old Corolla because I don't want to worry about buying a car for another 15 years. It's probably smarter to buy used, but used prices were crazy high on recent models, and at least I can drive it careful and make sure it is maintained well from the start. :rip: :10bux: :rip:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ColoradoCleric posted:

depends. are you poor?

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

having to own a car is awful

america is a shithole

it seriously kinda does. how do you even get a girlfriend as an adult if you don't have a car and don't live in NYC? you don't. we are slaves to the machines. you have three choices as an american male: buy a car, chop off your balls, or live in misery. i've decided to do all 3 and achieve total enlightenment.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

i work sometimes casually collecting debt from people when not studying and there are lots of ppl who have car loans they can't pay they are really silly imo they buy expensive cars then i ring them up and they are all like "yeah i have no money or job and can't pay off the loan for my new bmw really sorry" and i'm like "frickin lol you silly bugger why would you buy that car on credit you are too poor lmao ahhhaaa"

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

I bought my used car from a dealership a few years ago, a car that had 12.5k on it. Seemed like a great deal, but then when I had to replace the battery and a cord/wire that attaches to the battery my odometer came up as 200k+

The dealership I got it from was the typical scuzzy place, I didn't bother to phone them since it was almost a year later, but I should have.

wow, that's crappy. guessing that was one of those independent used car lots and not a dealership with a brand's backing? you didn't even bother to phone them? i admire your chillness. i wouldn't hurt anyone, but i would absolutely drop everything and research how to safely and discreetly burn said dealership to the ground.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

Kyashi posted:

some girl on my Instagram made a big proud post about having a job since she was 14 years old and now in her early 20s she finally decided to get a new car with HER MONEY. it's a brand new kia soul.

tbf, it is probably cooler than 95% of the other dumb cars she could have got (don't know abour reliability though)

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
The same people that sign a 2 year cell phone contract with terrible rate structuring to get a "free" iphone.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Jastiger posted:

Leasing is for scrubs. Grats on spending as much as a new car purchase and having to give the car back in 3 years lol.

In my experience as an insurance dude, new car buyers are:

People that have their poo poo together and buy a new car that they plan on having last forever, and they do this like once every 6-10 years. These people are cool.

People that do not have their poo poo together, and will likely be having this car repo'd in the next 2 yearse. These people are not cool.

The super rich that just HAVE to have the latest thing.

Their parents are buying it for them, see the point above.

Used cars being the best bet isn't as true today as it used to be. You can get a brand new car for only a few grand more than the few year old model, plus you often get better financing on the newer car-if you have your poo poo together.

Jastiger with terrible advice once again.

I bought a 3-year old car with 30K miles and a clean title. Guess how much less it was than the same car, but new? $30K less. Interest rate? 1.7%

Buying a new car is dumb unless it's something like a Tesla that you can't really find used.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

ColoradoCleric posted:

Good idea, but keep an eye on the oil consumption every 1000 miles.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I bought a new car because I got an 8 year full coverage warranty thrown in over the 12-24 month warranties literally everybody has up here on everything used. And it was $2k more than anything used under 30,000 miles. I've been plagued with hosed up cars that have cost thousands since 2008. The idea of not having to worry about one three years after we've paid it off, and a 0.0% apr, is really, really nice. Plus it's literally everything I wanted (except blue, but the company's blue is awful so I'm happy with this color).

I mean yeah there's depreciation when it leaves the lot but to be honest I intend on keeping this thing until it stops running just like I have every other car I've ever owned.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ashgromnies posted:

I bought a 3-year old car with 30K miles and a clean title. Guess how much less it was than the same car, but new? $30K less. Interest rate? 1.7%

Buying a new car is dumb unless it's something like a Tesla that you can't really find used.

Actually there's buckets of used Teslas around because a ton of people traded up when the AWD models came out. It's actually becoming a problem because the kind of people who buy teslas arent the kind who buy used cars

PS teslas aren't that great. the build quality is bad and the ergonomics are annoying. ill probably sell mine soon

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

yeah actually leasing is for fuckin posers, buying a new car is for scrubs. if all the used cars you've seen are pieces of poo poo, maybe you should check out this automaker called "toyota", they have these cars they call the "camry" and "corolla" and you can buy one from anytime in the last 25 years and it will just go. forever. as long as you change the oil

but see then you actually gotta be a cool and interesting person because people won't gravitate towards you based on your super cool looking bmw or whatever.

is there a 4-wheel drive vehicle that lasts as long as a camry or corolla? i need 4-wheel for my job

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

A misanthrope posted:

is there a 4-wheel drive vehicle that lasts as long as a camry or corolla? i need 4-wheel for my job

what job is that

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
also modern toyotas, in addition to being ugly as hell, are pretty unimpressive

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

wow, that's crappy. guessing that was one of those independent used car lots and not a dealership with a brand's backing? you didn't even bother to phone them? i admire your chillness. i wouldn't hurt anyone, but i would absolutely drop everything and research how to safely and discreetly burn said dealership to the ground.

Chev Dealership.

I should have called, but the buying process was so terrible that I just laughed it off. I'm running the thing into the ground and tell people about it whenever they talk about getting a car. Apparently it and the Ford across the street are infamous for being lovely, lovely places, while the Kia down the road has a pretty good reputation.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
how lovely are these cars:

http://cars-under20000.com/best-2015-new-cars-under-10-000-dollars/

which one is the least poo poo of the bunch?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mange Mite posted:

yeah a dealership would never cheat their customers

what as opposed to craigslist?

ashgromnies posted:

yeah but my new car had 2 miles on it when I took it off the lot it was p dope and I had it paid off in a month because loans are for scrubs.

idk why people have to get all upset about it

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Mange Mite posted:

what job is that

TV news -- I have to drive to work even if it's the middle of a blizzard.

That's why I drive an F250, but I'm think it isn't going to last as long as I want it to.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
pre-2000 jeep cherokee is what you want. Little chrysler issues like the front speakers not working will crop up but the drivetrain is dead reliable and they will go to 300k+ with just routine maintenance.

you could also try to find a rav4, or an older 4wd corolla or tercel, but they are gonna be more money and the old tercels are slooooow. Plus nothing beats actual 4x4 in deep snow.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

pre-2000 jeep cherokee is what you want. Little chrysler issues like the front speakers not working will crop up but the drivetrain is dead reliable and they will go to 300k+ with just routine maintenance.

Hell yeah I could drive one of those.

I bet the repair bills are a lot cheaper than on my truck as well.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
You know it. Parts are everywhere and super cheap, and there's a ton of space in the engine bay thanks to it being a straight 6. (don't get the 4cyl, it's worse in every way)

Just watch out for rust when you're buying it.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 31, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

you could also try to find a rav4, or an older 4wd corolla or tercel, but they are gonna be more money and the old tercels are slooooow. Plus nothing beats actual 4x4 in deep snow.

those old cherokees are great looking cars

apparently the amc straight 6 engine is so solid that after they stopped making them they shipped all the tooling to china and are still in production there. the cherokee too, actually

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 31, 2015

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Infidel Castro posted:

The nice thing about buying new is you can get the exact car you want 99% of the time. The interest rates on a used car loan are higher than a new car, too.

Depends on your bank and credit. I bought a used car recently with ultra low miles (under 11K) and my interest rate was 0.9%.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
lmao financing a used car

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014
if your not driving a shitbox falling apart your an idiot

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Mange Mite posted:

those old cherokees are great looking cars

apparently the amc straight 6 engine is so solid that after they stopped making them they shipped all the tooling to china and are still in production there. the cherokee too, actually

you guys convinced me

any other reliable 4-wheel vehicles?

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014

A misanthrope posted:

you guys convinced me

buy a hummer get a gummer

edit h1 only tho

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
pretty happy with my 07 eclipse GS

only work I've put into it in 5 years has been tires, brakes, struts, and oil changes

gonna do the water pump/timing belt/tensioner soon because car's at like 95k miles

so nothing's gone "wrong" but every car has wear parts that need to be replaced eventually

just driving around you are incurring costs by wearing down parts

gonna hang onto this thing for a decent while longer but I wish the straight 4 engine wasn't so anemic

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014
me and my car ama

its fast like the picture says

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
I inherited some money and bought my car new outright with cash. They usually knock quite a bit off the price for cash buyers.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Prorat posted:

Bought a new Ford Focus at the end of the year because the next models were out so they were discounting the old ones.

You get like 5 years of free services like if you run out of gas they will drive to you and fill you up with 2 gallons. (Think there is a limited of twice a month)

Plus there is like 10 more things like that I get for free over the next 5 years.

Plus a new car that doesn't have another drivers farts in the seat.

Plus massive discounts since it was my first car I bought myself.

Dealership keeps emailing me with free oil changed and 250 dollars of credit to their dealership for whatever maintenance.

Feels good man.

yeah you pretty much have to bribe people to buy a focus

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Girlfriend might be buying a new Fiat 500L this weekend and she's pretty pumped about it

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

A misanthrope posted:

you guys convinced me

tacoma my nigga

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Blue Raider posted:

tacoma my nigga

Xterras and F-150 quad cabs, too

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Mange Mite posted:

Actually there's buckets of used Teslas around because a ton of people traded up when the AWD models came out. It's actually becoming a problem because the kind of people who buy teslas arent the kind who buy used cars

PS teslas aren't that great. the build quality is bad and the ergonomics are annoying. ill probably sell mine soon

then what's this poo poo about them having a lifetime warranty and breaking the consumer reports satisfaction scale?

i would absolutely buy a used tesla but our state govt is in the bed with the big three and dealerships and fighting hard to keep them out. they're illegal to buy new here so there are very few on the roads.

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTIB10eQnA0

look at da pussy you cna get with a fast car like me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
like other people have said I think buying a new car can make sense if you're planning on keeping it for a really long time

there are a lot of people with poor decision-making skills buying new cars for Bad Reasons though

• Locked thread