Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
This is something I've always wondered. Who exactly is buying new cars?

I understand you've got fleet cars and poo poo -- car rental companies, taxis, police/fire/emergency services/etc., they get massive discounts due to sheer volume and have a large army of bean counters calculating all the various costs and finding that perfect triple point of when to ditch the old and get the new.

Then you've got the the super-rich-who-just-don't-give-a-gently caress and can buy whatever they want when they want, and then you've got the subsequent subset of people who wish they were the super-rich-who-just-don't-give-a-gently caress but aren't quite there yet, they're just in the top 96 or 97 percent of the population with a comfy 6-figure income and benefits. Nevertheless, they always need to have a new car ever two or three years, always something somewhat flashy, and always on a lease ('cause they can't actually afford to pay cash outright for it lol). Thank gently caress for them though because they make 10 year old M3s affordable to the rest of us plebs.

So, who else are buying new cars? Are there really that many people out there -- average Joe Shmoes and Mary Muffins -- buying the 2016 Toyota Corolla instead of a 2013 for half the price? What is the mentality behind that decision? The only thing people ever seem to say is "blah blah blah I like the comfort and safety of a full coverage warranty and... you know, with used cars you never know how the last person drove it!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

Melmac posted:

Non-poors.

Non-poors don't buy new econoboxes but somebody does.

WHO!?

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

buy a $500 used car, just walk away when it breaks down in traffic :feelsgood:

I've done that with two cars so far ('85 Volvo 240DL Wagon and a '94 Ford Ranger). Both were ~$600, bought 'em just to use as secondary functional useful dirt cheap cars for moving poo poo around, drove 'em into the ground over a few years, then ditched them when it just wasn't worth having them anymore and felt no guilt or remorse.

Infidel Castro posted:

The nice thing about buying new is you can get the exact car you want 99% of the time. The interest rates on a used car loan are higher than a new car, too.

lol if you're buying what is effectively a disposable commodity on a loan

Jesus Christ fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 31, 2015

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

Snatch Duster posted:

idiots want to buy italian cars

I test drove an Alfa when I was living in Europe and it was a fantastic little car (especially compared to the poo poo Toyota Aygo I was driving at the time). At some point in my life, despite knowing full well about the... "quirks" of Italian cars, I still want to own an Alfa, though likely as a secondary car.

• Locked thread