Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
I'm going to be buying a car new pretty soon. Buying used off CL and from dealerships seems like such a crapshoot and not all that cheap for something decent. Buying from friends and family is the best, but I have none of those. My job is physically, mentally, and emotionally draining. I barely have the energy to jerk off. The last thing I want to do is gently caress around with cars and worry if I can make it to point B. Anyway, you can get something like a Hyundai Accent or Nissan Versa for pretty cheap, even in automatic. Neither are going to be especially fun to drive, but driving for fun is a luxury. I am a mere peasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Ran Mad Dog posted:

Why would buying from dealerships be a crapshoot? I would think it would be miles ahead of cragslist at least.

Just because it's not that much cheaper than buying a new low-end car and you don't have a warranty or knowledge of how the previous owner treated it. I know they sell certified pre-owned with a bit of warranty, but cheap ones usually sell for roughly the same prices as low-end new cars like the Versa and Accent.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

having to own a car is awful

america is a shithole

it seriously kinda does. how do you even get a girlfriend as an adult if you don't have a car and don't live in NYC? you don't. we are slaves to the machines. you have three choices as an american male: buy a car, chop off your balls, or live in misery. i've decided to do all 3 and achieve total enlightenment.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

I bought my used car from a dealership a few years ago, a car that had 12.5k on it. Seemed like a great deal, but then when I had to replace the battery and a cord/wire that attaches to the battery my odometer came up as 200k+

The dealership I got it from was the typical scuzzy place, I didn't bother to phone them since it was almost a year later, but I should have.

wow, that's crappy. guessing that was one of those independent used car lots and not a dealership with a brand's backing? you didn't even bother to phone them? i admire your chillness. i wouldn't hurt anyone, but i would absolutely drop everything and research how to safely and discreetly burn said dealership to the ground.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

It is going to be mandatory for all cars including coupes, convertibles to have rear back up cameras because beltlines are being pushed so high.

The first time I experienced rear visibility problems was on a newer Ford Fiesta. Fun to drive, but street parking is just stupid. You can't tell if you have 6 inches or 6 feet between you and the car behind. It's an itty bitty car, but I wouldn't dare street park it without ample room.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

ChairmanMeow posted:

drive up past the spot, you can eyeball how much space is there. The car is tiny

In a tight spot, I don't like going by feel and instinct. I like the knowledge that I'm going to be good. I don't make enough money to regularly get into fender benders, Mr. Rockefeller.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Turmoil posted:

I bought a 2015 Subaru Impreza and couldn't be happier.
I can see myself being in this car for at least 10 years.

I would never make a post like this after I buy a new car. God/Fate/The Elements don't like cockiness, you're essentially going, "I'll live 10+ more years, no problem". Only way you stay in that car for 10 more years is if you drive it into the sea and go undiscovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Armchair Calvinist posted:

lol if you don't somersault everywhere for your primary method of transportation

I used to, but my back went bad. I'm stuck pogo-sticking to work now. Really blows. Can't even lock it up, so I have to hide it in the brush when I want to park.

• Locked thread