Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
I did once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

a dollar is too much to bid for the new hyundai :smuggo:

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
my most recent acquisition almost works perfectly and i've only spent a month (including two weeks off for good behavior lolz) on it. 2006 with under 100k and 5 previous owners? SIGN ME UP!

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Blue Raider posted:

buying used cars is buying other peoples problems

its like dating but you dont go to prison for tearing it into pieces to fix whats broken

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Kuato posted:

Got an '08 madza 3 in 2010, only maintenance type expense I did was oil changes as it was pretty reliable. Put 80k miles on it and traded it for a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, holy poo poo is this Jeep a financial sinkhole.

Welp

The_Franz posted:

The market for used euro cars in the US is hilarious.

Unless its a big scary import nobody has tools for and the only spanner is the owner :keke:

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Bacon Hat posted:

i want to get that 20 year old american sports car for 5 grand off of craigslist. some dad polished that poo poo and kept in the garage all the time, less than 80,000 miles on it. no rust, he spent more time taking care of it than enjoying it.

im going to drive it to work every day in the snow. gonna ruin it. gonna do donuts in the VFW parking lot on the way back.

then ill get another one in a couple years when i blow the engine apart.

A neighbor of my folks is currently doing this to a 280Z. It was pristine when bought from an estate sale, and now the clearcoat is mostly gone and at least two lights are covered with tape from where he smacked it into poo poo.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

David Copperfield posted:

Buying the least-poo poo American doesn't count as a point of pride (unless you include tesla)

least poo poo doesn't even include ford at the bottom of the list

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
ayy lmao

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
Suppose I should go drain the coolant. I'll save it for some murderous pitbulls terrorizing the cul-de-sac.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
They also love to do poo poo like charge you double labor for, oh, say, new brake pads, rotors, and then resurfacing the old rotors..

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

thathonkey posted:

dealerships are experts in selling you overpriced tires half a year before you need them

:clint: "You see these grooves in them?"
:downs: "Yeah..."
:clint: "Thats bad."

I've had similar retardation at a Les Schwab when they thought I was an idiot just because I had a NEW(er) car with 16s on them and they came factory with 17s. No poo poo, Sherlock. Look whats on there now. Does that look like it says R17 motherfucker?

TwoFire fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 2, 2015

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

DirtyMick posted:

Also worth noting is timing chains. They're often advertised as being good for the life of the engine, but that's because if it's an interference engine and it blows then your engine is for all intents and purposes poo poo.

:eng101: If your car is going clickityclack and it isn't pushrods/lifters (made in this century), you might want to get this checked before you need a new engine.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

DirtyMick posted:

My father is a now backyard mechanic. He's ASE certified and such but laments the bullshit he sees at shops. For instance, the shop owner trying to scare a customer into replacing all ignition coils on a PoC system when only one is bad. "It's damned unethical" he says. Does pretty well for himself without loving anybody over.

If someone actually mentions they're ASE certified, its like a computer person mentioning they're A+. Most of them are, but those who actually talk about it generally don't know poo poo.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

DirtyMick posted:

I didn't say he did, but I do. I guess that reinforces your statement though.

Welp. Hope you shop at KaleCo.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

DirtyMick posted:

I just never likened ASE to A+ is all. In retrospect it makes sense.

Theres nothing wrong with KaleCos' blinker fluid. poo poo, I've got nearly 130k on mine and its just as smooth as ever.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

DirtyMick posted:

Actually though, my wife's civic had a loving comical amount of dielectric grease on the terminals of the headlights and everything else that could be even tangentially related.

Haha poo poo. I got stuck going to an O'Reilly for bulbs once because I didn't have any spares, and I needed them today. There was a rather pushy manager who was trying like hell to sell the grease, claiming that they wouldn't take the bulbs for return if I didn't buy the grease. I sent a letter to corporate just because he was being a dick (who returns bulbs when you know what you need?), and damned if I ever saw him there again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

DirtyMick posted:

That's awesome, it's like when the dudes at autozone push all the bullshit at the counter. No I'm good with your 2oz package of petroleum jelly for 5 bucks.

He probably got bumped UP the ladder. :smith:

So yeah, new cars are for the elite. Old cars are for the masses.

• Locked thread