Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Literal retards who are dumb enough to get convinced by a car salesman that it really is a terrible idea to buy a used car because you just don't if it will last! Here, buy this brand new scion instead.

Their version of researching what car to buy is picking whatever manufacturer their family or friends tell them is good, walking into the showroom, and asking a salesman what to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
yeah actually leasing is for fuckin posers, buying a new car is for scrubs. if all the used cars you've seen are pieces of poo poo, maybe you should check out this automaker called "toyota", they have these cars they call the "camry" and "corolla" and you can buy one from anytime in the last 25 years and it will just go. forever. as long as you change the oil

but see then you actually gotta be a cool and interesting person because people won't gravitate towards you based on your super cool looking bmw or whatever.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Hope you got one that doesn't have stuck piston rings. Check your oil...

I hope to only ever buy a vehicle with cash. It's worked for me thus far, as it did for my parents before me. At this point if you have a decent job and don't live paycheck to paycheck you can easily save up 10-15k every couple years so you can pretty much buy a nice used car every couple years (though mine last 5+ years.)

I mean it's just not worth going into debt over when cheap toyotas are on craigslist all day long.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

People always lie about how much money they drain into their 10-year old shitbox.

Always.

under $1000 a year is easy. with a japanese car that's been well taken care of you can get down to like $400. seriously, it's so much cheaper than a new car it's not funny. You just gotta do your research and buy a model that doesn't have major issues, where the biggest work you'll have to do is replace the timing belt every 100k.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 30, 2015

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
but apparently you think leasing is a good idea (it's never a good idea) so I'm not sure I trust your opinions or experience in regards to used car ownership. Thanks for generating nice used cars for me to buy though by paying too much for a lease! I'm the guy that buys them as the second or third owner.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I've gotten back what I spent on my last three used cars, purchase price wise. After putting 100K+ on them. Once a car hits 150k it's not really gonna depreciate any more, so when I spend like $2500 on a car, I know that I can put maybe $2500 into it and make it run for like 5 more years, then sell it to some highschool kid for more or less what I paid for it.

That means I spent $2500 for five years of worry free motoring. And the only reason I sell them usually is because some $250 repair crops up and instead of just getting it fixed I convince myself I want a new ride.

My last car (1998 jeep cherokee) I actually made money on. Bought for 1700 (with a bunch of work having just been done by the previous owner), replaced some easy to replace parts, put 30k on it, then sold it for 1800.

If you've got the need for a super nice new car for whatever reason (I take long road trips with muddy bikes and wet skis all the time, so I prefer reliable beaters), this is the way to do it:

FIRST TIME posted:

Certified pre-owned all day, every day.

Buy just off lease luxury cars with a warranty and laugh at retards that buy new.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 31, 2015

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

spud posted:

Never buy an American car.

Ever.

This deserves repeating x10000

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
A very large percentage of brand new 2015 model year cars are included in my definition of "piece of poo poo," because new does not equal good and in fact is often vastly inferior. Especially when talking about American cars.

Mazdas are cool though. As long as you like rust!!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Just hope you don't need to fill your radiator!!

That's a water joke. Because you don't have any.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

ColoradoCleric posted:

Just bought a 2016 subaru forester turbo, good or bad idea?

Good idea, but keep an eye on the oil consumption every 1000 miles.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
pre-2000 jeep cherokee is what you want. Little chrysler issues like the front speakers not working will crop up but the drivetrain is dead reliable and they will go to 300k+ with just routine maintenance.

you could also try to find a rav4, or an older 4wd corolla or tercel, but they are gonna be more money and the old tercels are slooooow. Plus nothing beats actual 4x4 in deep snow.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
You know it. Parts are everywhere and super cheap, and there's a ton of space in the engine bay thanks to it being a straight 6. (don't get the 4cyl, it's worse in every way)

Just watch out for rust when you're buying it.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 31, 2015

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
You can legit buy a new Tacoma for the same as one with 150k on it so I guess in that case buying new would make sense. But the last gen ones were better sized and as far as I know the frames will still fall apart if you live in an area that salts but a 6speed Tacoma is the only car I can see myself buying new.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

A misanthrope posted:

i'm glad i saw this because i was just looking at a grand cherokee

Yeah you definitely don't want a grand cherokee. Or really any other chrysler product. A wrangler from the 90s could be good but unless you are trying to go wheeling they are too small for DD use and cost way, way more than a cherokee.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

hackbunny posted:

is she brain damaged

Maybe somebody should let this guy in on the worst 2 car manufacturers, worldwide, for reliability.

It's fiat and dodge/jeep/chrysler. And fiat owns dodge/jeep/chrysler.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
As far as I'm concerned any Porsche not from the 911 lineage isn't worth my time. I'll probably own a 911 at some point though. I really want an 80s or early one in brilliant purple. I'd also like a carrera 4s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
loving HUGE. You'll be able to stop more or less like normal while driving on snow.

I drove all over the rockies during the winter to go skiing for 10 years, first with a jetta and then with a camry. Literally I'd see it was dumping and head 18 hours west. I passed stuck 4x4s left right and center.

manual transmission + snow tires makes you pretty unstoppable until the snow gets deep enough that you're snowplowing with your bumper

• Locked thread