Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

MissEchelon posted:

That one gets pushed to the "most read" section every month or so. It's pretty great. I mean something something fairfax jihad

Hello new person, welcome to the thread.

ScreamingLlama posted:

Just so you know, I did NOT vote for Barnaby Joyce and am therefore not responsible for having such an utter disgrace of an MP.

I also agree that both Joyce and Sandilands are both dickheads.

Hey, you didn't answer me in the last thread, and I was genuinely curious, how is the AEC appeal going?

Beetphyxious posted:

We've done some lobbying in the social housing sector to try get access to super to fund social housing developments. no dice.

Thing is though, that super builds up over a lifetime. Even if hypothetically they allow access to super to appease the blood gods of housing, unless it's an older (mid 40s) person accessing it, then it's not going to be enough for a deposit and it's nominally the first home buyer that they're aiming to entice with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Pickled Tink posted:

First Dog!

Kittens!:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

EvilElmo posted:

Also worth noting that large chunks of ISIS ground is literally nothing but sand. Looks bad on map, but strategically they're only really in a handful of spaces in that zone.

That's in the first paragraph of the accompanying text.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

tithin posted:

Thing is though, that super builds up over a lifetime. Even if hypothetically they allow access to super to appease the blood gods of housing, unless it's an older (mid 40s) person accessing it, then it's not going to be enough for a deposit and it's nominally the first home buyer that they're aiming to entice with this.

Oh we were thinking larger. 1% of all super is put into a social housing management borrowing fund that social housing providers can lend from and provide a ROI of at least the going cash rate. So that 1% of everyone's super would keep pace with inflation but wouldn't outpace it like (hopefully) the rest of their super would be doing.

It's not either party that is against the idea, well the libs probably would be more so than Labor, but it's the superfunds themselves who don't want a bar of it.

It'a funny because I came up with the idea a few years back all on my own, drafted up a business case and took it to the ceo and he laughed and laughed because they already had been trying that exact thing for a few years by that point. :eng99:

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kommando posted:

Arg, while its nice to have on the public record that it was found to be valid for Barnaby Joyce to be called a wanker and an idiot, I don't want Sandilands to be credited with the victory.

can't have everything in life mate

tithin posted:

Hey, you didn't answer me in the last thread, and I was genuinely curious, how is the AEC appeal going?

It goes.

That's pretty much all I can tell you at this point: I'm only a member of the NSW state executive, not the national one.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For the op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKEAB_jaXKk

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
John Oliver was just updated on the most important politic story of the year.

"John Oliver’s hilarious reaction to Tony Abbott eating a raw, unpeeled onion posted:

During a Q&A session with British television host John Oliver last night, one heroic Sydney local asked him what he thought of the infamous footage of Tony Abbott eating a raw onion.

The entire Sydney State Theatre was then treated to Oliver’s live, bewildered reaction to the video that continues to baffle this fine nation.

David - otherwise known as the hero our city deserves - called out: “Did you see Tony Abbott eat the onion?”

“T - Tony Abbott? Tony Abbott what?”

“The onion! Eat the onion! Tony Abbott ate the onion!”

The sheer disbelief in Oliver’s voice said it all, as he attempted to make sense of the question. Just remember that this was a man hearing - first-hand - that the current Prime Minister of Australia bit into a raw, unpeeled onion.

“Did he do it competently?”

Laughter followed, but it soon became clear that words were not enough. Oliver would need evidence of this. He just wasn’t getting it.

“He ate an onion? He ATE an ONION? He ate an onion like a two-year-old eats an onion, thinking: ‘it’s round and I’ve seen round apples! Is this an apple?’ No. he did not do that.”

And then, when an audience member enlightened him to the sheer gravity of the event --

“He ate TWO?! Get the f**k out!”

Finally, the blessed video footage was produced.

There was a deep silence, followed by running commentary which sounded both impressed and fearful.

“The SKIN was on it. What’s he DOING?”

Then, in a quiet, terrified whimper: “Why does he eat the SECOND one? ‘Oooh - that was an onion. I wonder if THIS onion is an onion!’”

The audience was in hysterics by this point. Suddenly, the entire thing seemed to click in Oliver’s mind, as he yelled: “HE NEEDS CONSTANT SUPERVISION!”

One day a few decades from now all that will be remembered of Abbott will be that he, for no reason ate more than one raw onion while in office.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Rarely has there been a clearer example of cultural cringe than Australia's recent wankfest over John Oliver criticising our government

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

freebooter posted:

Rarely has there been a clearer example of cultural cringe than Australia's recent wankfest over John Oliver criticising our government

Hahah have a gluten free 100% organic, chai flavored joint and chill. People just like it when we can share with others around the world the weirdness that is Tony Abbott, as allowing us to see it fresh through foreign eyes, unaffected by his lovely polices that does tend to take a bit of the humour away.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Over the past week I've been linked to about half a dozen articles about John Oliver's hilaaaaaaaarious takes on Australian politics, usually in Buzzfeed or Junkee or whatever, and the tone of every single one of them has been irritatingly sycophantic. HOW GREAT IS IT THAT THE FAMOUS COMEDIAN FINDS THE SAME THINGS WE DO FUNNY YOU GUYSSSSS! It's embarrassing. Nothing against you, you just broke the camel's back.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Well maybe we wake up every day still in shock that everything went so hosed, so quickly, and we need a foreign to agree with us that yes it is hosed and "The Rover" is going to be a documentary in two years time.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

John Oliver sucks. I hate that fake histrionic style he and Jon Stewart have.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I hate jokes.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

open24hours posted:

John Oliver sucks. I hate that fake histrionic style he and Jon Stewart have.

So what's it like to have such a horrible sense of humour?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

freebooter posted:

Over the past week I've been linked to about half a dozen articles about John Oliver's hilaaaaaaaarious takes on Australian politics, usually in Buzzfeed or Junkee or whatever, and the tone of every single one of them has been irritatingly sycophantic. HOW GREAT IS IT THAT THE FAMOUS COMEDIAN FINDS THE SAME THINGS WE DO FUNNY YOU GUYSSSSS! It's embarrassing. Nothing against you, you just broke the camel's back.

Can you link them? they sound really funny.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Australia Strikes Deal To Resettle 55 Million Dollars In Cambodia

http://www.theshovel.com.au/2015/09/02/australia-strikes-deal-to-resettle-55-million-dollars-in-cambodia/

quote:

Fifty-five million helpless Australian dollars will be given a new home in Cambodia, after a diplomatic arrangement was struck between the two countries.
Immigration Minister Peter Dutton said there was no place for the money in Australia and that the agreement was a chance for the currency to start afresh.

“We’ll also be providing additional funds and support to ensure the money settles into the country seamlessly,” he said.
A spokesperson for the Cambodian Government – known to be one of the most corrupt in the world – said the money would be warmly welcomed in the country.
The notes will be transferred to a secure bank account in Phnom Penh this week.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

John Oliver: Funny and famous for being funny

Freebooter: some fuckwit from the internet.

with that settled, can we talk more about John Oliver being funny?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I find him more informal than funny most times.

He is probably more funny live.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Can you link them? they sound really funny.

He did one series on Australian gun control after Port Arthur which included interviews with John Howard. It goes on a bit long but is pretty well done. There was another one about the lead up to the last election, and one making fun of Barnaby for that business with Depp's dogs.

Firetrick
Aug 4, 2006

I saw John Oliver live in Melbourne, can confirm he was funny. Obviously he made fun of Abbott a bit here too, but he was well known for that already from the show and people expect it of him I guess.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
It's less cultural cringe and more that we now have a Prime Minister so drastically incompetent that he's internationally famous for it.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Hmm page four was the start of the slide into the shitter this month. Gratz everybody who made this possible! Good loving job! You are nearly as good at running a thread into the ground as our muppet masters.

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/get-ready-for-a-recession-every-decade-experts-warn-20150830-gjb9kw.html

quote:

Get ready for a recession every decade, experts warn September 1, 2015 Peter Martin Economics Editor, The Age

If we were sleepwalking into a mess, would we know it? Our leaders wouldn't.

Rapidly rising incomes are a lubricant - they stop people rubbing up against each other. Tony Abbott opened last week's national reform summit with a self-congratulatory video in which he talked about cutting red tape, the China-Australia free trade agreement, and the need to protect mining from "vigilantism in the courts". Things were heading in the right direction. Joe Hockey gave a speech that said even less, talking about the rise of the consumer and observing that his dad once told him, "ideas are free, but good ideas are gold nuggets". Bill Shorten was better. The deficit had doubled. Wages growth was at record lows. Economic growth was nearly a full percentage point below trend. Australia's transition from the mining boom had been patchy.

Then the politicians left the room.

The summit was told that the economy was set to grow at a mere fraction of the officially projected pace, so slowly that the living standard expected in 2055 wouldn't be reached until 2075, when most of us would no longer be alive. The intergenerational report had assumed average growth in real incomes of 1.4 per cent per year for each of the next 40 years. It would mean that by 2055 real income per person would be an impressive 75 per cent higher than it is today. We would easily be able to afford any extra tax we needed to fund higher pensions and health costs, and our incomes would be climbing so fast, we wouldn't much mind if the tax system was changed. Even in March, when the report was released, Treasury officials regarded the assumption as a stretch. Since then views about the future have changed. The Reserve Bank believes Australia's sustainable rate of economic growth may be lower than in the past, so low as to make the projections in the intergenerational report unachievable.

On Wednesday at the reform summit, economic modeller Janine Dixon from Victoria University put numbers on a rate of income growth she said was more realistic. Instead of growing by an average of 1.4 per cent per year, real income per person would grow by a bit less than 1 per cent, enough to leave us only 44 per cent better off by 2055. We would need to wait another 20 years to be as well off in 2075 as the intergenerational report said we would be in 2055. Her thinking is that productivity (output per hour worked) will grow far more slowly than it has. To prepare the intergenerational report, the Treasury simply projected the growth rate of the past 40 years to the next 40. She said the past 40 years included "an exceptional period in Australia's economic history – a period which included the major economic reforms of the 1980s combined with unprecedented growth in computing and communications technology and the benefits of the stability brought about by a 23-year run of positive economic growth". Assuming that we are unlikely to computerise once again, and knowing we can't cut high tariffs to near zero again, and that we are most unlikely to survive yet another generation without a recession, she has come up with a much lower estimate of normal productivity growth by excluding the exceptional years between 1994 and 2004.

Professor Ross Garnaut seized on the implications. On present settings, Australia had no chance of achieving the promised 2020 surplus, and instead faced "ever increasing budget deficits". Dixon outlined other implications. If incomes don't rise as rapidly, we will need to save more in order to fund the things we could have once relied on income growth and future generations to fund.Baby boomers and generations X and Y and Z will fight among themselves over who should pay the most. Rapidly rising incomes are a lubricant - they stop people rubbing up against each other. The fighting has already started. Instead of embracing tax reform as our leaders used to, the present lot are frightened, knowing that unless incomes are rising rapidly, tax reform is close to a zero sum game. It isn't possible to make everyone better off.

The former treasury secretary Martin Parkinson said the enormity of what was in store amounted to a recession every decade, as each decade lost 5 percentage points of expected GDP. "It means willingly accepting the impact of a recession," he said. "We are actually going to find ourselves sleepwalking into a real mess." We might get a foretaste on Wednesday when the Bureau of Statistics releases the June quarter national accounts. One bank is tipping economic growth of just 0.2 per cent in the quarter; another, 0.4 per cent. Either result is pitifully low by the standards we have come to expect and if sustained would drive annual growth below 2 per cent. It might be something we will have to get used to. Highly aged societies such as Japan and Italy have long been used to low income growth. Highly aged individuals get used to it as well. The transition has probably been under way for some time. Until now it has been masked by the mining booms.

It won't be catastrophic, but it won't be pleasant. Things that have been easy will become more difficult. It would be nice if our leaders even acknowledged the possibility.

It really says something when two Labor state premiers and NSW opposition leader Luke Foley undermine their federal counterparts on the China free trade agreement. Who do these people think they represent any more?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-12/china-free-trade-agreement-cost-australian-jobs-fact-check/6653214

quote:

The verdict

The ACTU claims the China free trade agreement allows Chinese companies to bring in their own workforce for projects over $150 million and removes the requirement for jobs be offered to local workers first.

The written agreement does state that Chinese companies can set up a large infrastructure project without testing the market to see if there are Australian workers to do the jobs. It also says that when issuing visas for these jobs, labour market testing is done "where required" and both the Foreign Affairs and Immigration Departments say companies will have to advertise jobs on these projects to local workers first. But the agreement does not specify that labour market testing must occur before visas are granted and the Department told Fact Check that requirement could be waived in "unique and exceptional circumstances". Experts contacted by Fact Check say the China free trade agreement allows the Immigration Department to decide that jobs should be offered to local workers before it issues visas to overseas workers, but it does not require this to happen.

The ACTU's claim checks out.

Muppet thread, muppet government.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Firetrick posted:

I saw John Oliver live in Melbourne, can confirm he was funny. Obviously he made fun of Abbott a bit here too, but he was well known for that already from the show and people expect it of him I guess.

I saw him too, right up until I heckled him and he called me an idiot.

He seemed to be on point.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
GDP is out. 0.2% for the quarter putting it at 2% for the year.

Hockeys Budget posted:

Real GDP is forecast to grow by 2¾ per cent in 2015-16, before increasing to around trend growth of 3¼ per cent in 2016-17.

RBA GDP graph shows this

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Someone make a version of that graph with the "Recovery!" from the climate change graph.gif

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Quantum Mechanic posted:

It's less cultural cringe and more that we now have a Prime Minister so drastically incompetent that he's internationally famous for it.

I feel like, with a huge chunk of the news media so desperately wanting to convince us that the LNP are both Smart and Good At Their Jobs when it's quite clear they're not (and without a proper opposition to call them out on their poo poo), people like John Oliver are almost a sanity check. It's a bit of a relief when someone from another country that's quite good at analyzing politics can look at ours and say 'your government is composed of complete idiots', it's fantastic assurance that we're not crazy and we actually have a group this horrendously incompetent in government.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
I'm going to leave these here without comment

https://twitter.com/TheKouk/status/638888487530295296

https://twitter.com/TheKouk/status/638888761510641664

https://twitter.com/pipfreebairn/status/638888407091965952

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Somebody else wrote a better thing on Abbotts Onions. It's a pub trick. It's a unpleasant thing that you can do because of much practice that demostrates how hard you are to the rest of the pub, like putting a cigarette out on your tongue. That's why he's out there skulling pints instead of asking for a white wine shandy, again.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Anidav posted:

Someone make a version of that graph with the "Recovery!" from the climate change graph.gif

Someone out there knows what I hunger.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Prime Minister Tony Abbott has denied claims by a Western Australian shipping company that a senior Federal Government bureaucrat suggested it consider sacking its Australian workforce and replacing it with foreign labour, under a proposed Coalition overhaul of the shipping industry.

Mr Abbott said the allegations were "just not true" and his Government wants to "restore the situation which operated under the Howard government and end Labor's job-destroying, cost-inflating, coastal shipping regime".

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

"Cost inflating" is code for local workers. :ssh:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/is-labor-running-dead-in-canning-to-protect-tony-abbott-20150901-gjd1m5.html

hahahahahahah

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Those GDP numbers are bad, but at least we got rid of that dysfunctional labor mob.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

tithin posted:

I saw him too, right up until I heckled him and he called me an idiot.

He seemed to be on point.

Hmmm...checks out.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

quote:

Labor strategists concede the government's unpopularity, and that of the Prime Minister in particular, provide the opposition's best hopes for victory in 2016. Thus, they fear a shock byelection loss for the government would shatter the party room resolve and could see Mr Abbott replaced by the more centrist and popular Malcolm Turnbull.

On Wednesday morning Mr Abbott made what may be only his second campaign appearance in the Perth seat during the campaign.

At a media conference in the electorate with Liberal Party candidate Andrew Hastie, the Prime Minister brushed aside questions on what bearing a poor result in Canning would have on his future.

"Look, it's not about me. It's about the people of Canning, it really is," Mr Abbott said.

Mr Hastie himself intervened when Mr Abbott was asked again about leadership speculation.

Answering the question on Mr Abbott's behalf, Mr Hastie said: "I don't have time to take counsel from the east coast Twitterati."

"There's a significant disconnect between what people are saying over in the east and what is happening here in Canning," he said.

But Mr Abbott rejected suggestions Labor was "running dead" in Canning, predicting a fierce campaign from the opposition during the final two weeks before the byelection.

"Our absolute expectation is that there will be a Labor blitz in the last few weeks of this campaign because Labor want this seat," Mr Abbott said.

"It was once a very, very marginal seat."

It comes as cabinet assesses progress of the campaign to hold the seat retained by the Liberals by almost 12 per cent in the 2013 election.

Ms Bishop briefed cabinet on Tuesday about the campaign in which she is playing the key leadership role in close concert with Mr Hastie, a 32-year-old former SAS captain.

It is reported she said Labor was pouring fewer resources into the effort than expected of a party trying to win it, and that Labor's candidate, Matt Keogh, had tended to concentrated his efforts in the northern part of the seat in an area set to become part of the new federal division of Burt.

An electoral redistribution will take effect at the general election creating an extra WA seat, the demographic make-up of which should see it categorised as a Labor seat.

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten said on Wednesday it was a "priority" for Labor to do well in Canning.

"It's a priority to do well because i believe Australia needs a new direction," he said.

Mr Keogh rejected suggestions Labor was not campaigning seriously, declaring they could win the seat and was trying to do so.

"We're not running dead at all in Canning," he told the ABC's Radio National on Wednesday.

"We're not the Liberal Party, we don't have the cash resources for wraparound ads in every newspaper.

"But that doesn't matter because what we're doing is going out and talking to the voters on the ground

"That's exactly how our late former member Don Randall campaigned and what he did while he was a local member."

Mr Keogh said it would be a "tight race" despite the government's margin of almost 12 per cent.

"We definitely have a chance to win this seat. The vibe out on the street definitely makes that clear," he said.

That view was endorsed by the government too, with Assistant Treasurer Josh Frydenberg, telling Sky's Kieran GIlbert that the claim Labor was running dead was illusory.

"Absolutely not," he said. "Make no mistake, Labor wants to win the seat of Canning and will throw everything possible that they can at the byelection."

He said he was "sure" Labor wanted to win, but the government was doing everything necessary to retain it, which is why Mr Abbott has made a second lightning appearance in the electorate.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

That's nice to see, thank you :)

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Peccadillo posted:

The phrase "Screw you, Takriti!", does not do a bunch to heighten the "sobreity".

Also that is cool. I lived in East Melbourne for a while, and my girlfriend used to spit at those protesters whenever she walked to the post office.

Please high five your girlfriend for me and tell her she's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
If Labor can't take Canning I'm tipping a Doctor Who / Bill Shorten / Bill Hayden time portal thing from Pope.

• Locked thread