Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Urgh... Im halfway through a lime mortar technology course doing heritage restoration on some buildings in one of our national parks. Its part stone masonry, part lime mortar use and my GOD am i sore. Think i batched and moved about a tonne of mortar today between morning tea and lunch, running two concrete mixers flat out.

3 more days, I think im going to die!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Someone does not like the cone of shame. He doesnt HAVE to wear it any more unless he chews his bandages, then its back on.

Funny as hell watching a cat whos had a cone on all week go BONKERS trying to clean himself as soon as its taken off. He's not going to chew the bandages any more either, not after the areas he was munching on got a liberal smear of Sriracha sauce :D

Edit: Just when you thought he couldnt get any dumber....

Ferremit fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 5, 2015

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

if the trail to the cabin is narrow get a hilux- The amarok is a BIG ute- they dwarf my landcruiser parked side by side!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

let us know how many transmissions per 100,000km it goes through. Guy I know has an Amarok with the 8 speed auto and its on its 3rd trans before hitting 100K kms because of "Reasons" (seriously, the dealerships cant even diagnose it, they just drop the box out and put a new one in when it forgets its got gears)

I dont think VAG has quite got that trans figured out just yet.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Ok, fair enough.

Those front bars are often flimsy as hell, and do nothing but trash your bumper/grille in a bump that would otherwise have just been paint scratches.

thats fixable...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Bucket head the cat is mewing frantically at a door thats about half an inch too much closed for his bucket to get through. Shits hilarious!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

fjelltorsk posted:

Havin a truck is awsome, i got 12 sacks of dirt for the garden, some tiles and 600kg of sand in the back today.

i also park like an idiot if i find a incline or rock to set the truck on

Its the one thing i miss about my landcruiser- the total lack of a tray. Want to get stuff from the landscape shop? Trailer.

If i ever do serious damage to the panelwork on the back end im hacking its arse off into a twin cab and dropping a tray onto it!

Something like this

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

fjelltorsk posted:

Spent way to long debadging the Amarok. considering slapping on a "biturbo" badge to please 14 inch. i mean, it does have two turbos after all.

went for a long drive it with a buddy who is into trucks and he gave it high remarks. he even called it fast. one thing is for sure, i am going to get so stuck with this thing someday when i overestimate my wheeling skills and the cars clearance.

oh, and i am researching getting it wrapped in "holdbrooks" orange

Aftermarket suspension goes a LONG way to making utes a lot more livable- things like greasable shackles and polyurethane bushings in the rear leaf springs and higher quality dampers all round improve the unladen ride immensely and stop the thing looking like a dog with worms dragging its arse when you load the back up. Also gains you a handy 2" or so clearance too!

Also consider getting a good set of All Terrain tyres when you wear out the road tyres they come with- Tyres alone will turn a mediocre 4wd into a drat good offroad vehicle. Personally I run Mud Terrains on mine, but that has a massive downside in terms of road noise and wear but when the only way to get into your back yard looks like this at the moment:

Mud terrains are about your only choice if you want to actually MOVE anywhere.

The rest of the yard behind it isnt much drier either!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Welcome to my day... This has been going on, practically non stop, since 9am. Stupids in the cage because hes got a broken leg and refuses to NOT run around relentlessly chasing the other cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B_cBgIDnuA

Hell is real, and its got cats in cages in it...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Galler posted:

On the bright side playing that confused the hell out of my cats which is pretty entertaining.

Im glad someones getting enjoyment out of my misery!

Vet soon for a checkup on the healing. Hopefully he will be allowed out of his cage more. Two weeks more to go before he should be back to normalish.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

As the licensed optician of the group, I highly recommend seeing an eye doctor every two years, even if the Rx doesn't change. You'd be amazed at what else can change. And if they offer fundus photography for something like $50, then go for it. That's the moneymaker right there, along with the physical slit lamp examination by the doc (the part where you see the reflections of your own eye veins in your vision).

I really should go see an optician... everyone else in my family wears glasses (except my brother has since a lab accident with scoplomine that led to an overdose and photophobia- Who would have thought that having your eyes jammed at 100% dialated for 4 days would do damage to your vision?!?) and I've got SOMETHING in one eye (black dot thats fixed in place regardless of point of view).

But everything is still crisp and in focus so its a case of if it aint broke, dont fix it. Im a terrible patient.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Well i just met the owner of the cat whos been pissing on my doors until we caught it in a trap and gave it enough of a scare that it hasnt been back since....

Hoooly poo poo shes more feral than the bloody cat! Apparently its MY fault her cats wandered onto my property and i broke the law trapping it (except the law says otherwise) and that it was MY responsibility to find out when they got back from holidays and talk to them about their cat being trapped AT MY FRONT DOOR.

I had to laugh when she was telling me that i needed to grow up, considering shes the one who came storming out of her house and started to yell at me on the street.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Backov posted:

Were you wearing her former cat as a hat at the time?

I just about should have... Making a complaint to the council about it tomorrow because other people in the estate have this stupid pest cat on their property too.

Noisy kitties are great IN THEORY. After the 8th hour of music for the day on the 4th day in a row the urge to turn a noisy kitty into a silent slipper is pretty drat high...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Dude, what the gently caress is your problem? I accidentally caused nearly $5K of damage to a piece of machinery due to innatention and being over worked and over tired.

Got a formal investigation regarding it, but it was identified as such and we modified the work practice. No wonder the US is so hosed up with attitudes like that.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I always wondered why things in a dystopian future where fuel was more scarce than bullets people didnt run turbodiesels everywhere. Same torque as a big V8, but economy instead of thirst.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Hahahaha. You should try what we have here. Lovely thing called Medicare, and theres an annual levy on EVERYONE who earns more than $26,000 a year (20-26K its part payment, 20K or less its nill payment) thats 2% of your taxable income

Theres a compulsory payment if you earn more than $90k a year and if you dont have private health insurance.

So your options are- Pay $$$$ a month for private health insurance, or pay 2.0% of your income at tax time as a levy (unless you earn over $90K, then you pay 2% regardless of whether you have insurance or not)

so my $58K a year would cost me around $1200 in medicare levy (its a bit less because of tax free thresholds and other shenanigans) OR I can spend about the same on health insurance and get things like optical and dental part paid out too.

HOWEVER

It means that ANYONE in Australia can stagger into an ER or a hospital and be treated, for however long and for whatever disease or illness, without cost to themselves. Thats worth everyone putting in a little bit.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

urgh... did a full drive flange to drive flange rebuild on the front axle of a mates landcruiser today (80 series) because of knackered kingpin bearings and REALLY noisy CV joints.

First side, CV didnt want to seperate from the drive shaft and mushroomed out the splines where the circlip holds it on. Had to hack the cage apart with a grinder and an air hammer, pop the balls out then grind through the inner spider in 3 places and split it with a cold chisel to get the thing off the shaft. THEN clean up the splines for the new CV to fit on.

Second one the CV popped right off with the pipe trick, but then when we were putting it back together one of the studs for the kingpin bearings sheared off out of the knuckle. Lost an hr trying to find a replacement stud.

So. Much.Grease. Would have gone through two dozen pairs of gloves each and we filled a 20L bucket with paper towels and rags from cleaning out CV's and steering knuckles. Burnt them all in the shed fire and got a 10" flue to glow red hot from firebox to shed roof! Hell of an improvement tho, he can turn under power without "CLACK CLACK CLACK" following him and the steering doesnt "Tip" out of the centre any more because the king pin bearings no longer have grooves hammered into them.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Uhh...how's that smell?

Moly grease and hypoid gear oil. What a wonderful loving odor. And since it was 29 degrees yesterday I wore shorts and a Tee doing the work (tin shed so probably 32-33 inside)

I had to get the girlfriend to bring me the big pump pack of solvol in the shower so i could at least get SOME of the black off my knees...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Hooooly poo poo Tony Abbott's been rolled. I have a priaprism that can be seen from space

Its going to be a very hilarious next 36hrs.

And Abbott didnt even have the guts to face the press tonight. That or hes too busy burning poo poo in his office.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Finally got sick of both the light output and hideous look of the bare bulbs in our main living room

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

Honestly, I was surprised it made national news instead of just local. I'm probably too used to the xenophobia here. :sigh:

Dude, it made the nightly news in AUSTRALIA, and we're world famous for locking brown people up on rapey assaulty monster island and pretending they dont exist!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

fjelltorsk posted:

I paid 6 bucks for a gallon of diesel today. and you guys wonder why i drive a EV...

I dont even want to guess what currency you converted that into, but its only $1.33 a litre, which is about what we pay for diesel down under on average. Tho with the tanked aus dollar its closer to 96c/L if you use US$...

Ive gotta buy fuel tomorrow, my sub tank is empty and theres less than a quarter of the main tank. Combined capacity is 217L :gonk:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

A few years ago diesel prices hit the high 1.90's a litre in Australia, that made for some very, very expensive fills.

Tho I paid $2.45 a litre in Mount Dare Station in July last year.

Thats only $11/Gallon...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

God drat that hurt to fill up...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's not coffee. It's milk with a shitload of chemicals in it

Farmers union powers half of the construction industry, most of National Parks and a fair whack of the population here. One of the very few places in the world where a milk drink outsells coke.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah all of my Mac Laptops have been stupidly long lived and resiliant as hell. I had a white 06 Macbook thats still going strong two batteries, two case tops and a set of heavily tweaked hinges later, a Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro that got such a belting driving around the bush in 4wds at fires that one of the ram slots has seperated off the motherboard, so its only running single channel ram and has a bend in the chassis that puts one side of the ethernet port about 1.5mm higher than the other side and it still works, and my current last of the non retina Macbook Pro inhaled a tonne of sand on our last big 4wd trip (using it to dump photos too) and after a strip apart and blow out with an airgun is stil going strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

You Am I posted:

Just finished building up a new old file server at home using a 2009 Mac Pro over the weekend

A 2006 Mac Pro runs our house as a server- 4x4TB HD's, upgraded the stock dual core 2.66 xeons to quad core 2.66's, stuck another 16Gb of ram in with the two gb it came with and it's perfectly useful- got it running plex to supply the entire house and sickrage to keep plex fed and it's got VMware fusion on it running PFsense that's taking a feed in from the main network, re-routing it into a new DHCP and a VPN to Los Angeles and then sticks it out the 2nd network port to the TV so we can get US Netflix.

I'm pretty happy with it. My mate has worked out that with remote access to it, it's faster to download a TV show on my NBN connection then Stream it with plex to his house than download it over his ADSL 2 line.

• Locked thread