Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

its still august you chode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ssjonizuka posted:

Who the gently caress cares?

nah we must mock the time zone wrongposter

ssjonizuka posted:

Start off the chat thread on the right key. Congrats to our one-balled wonder!

this is p correct tho

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IOC how you gonna play me like this homie, deleting my proper chat thread with no fanfare and poo poo. drat.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Boy I sure love taking this principles of EE class that's mostly irrelevant to my ME degree, is only required for one senior level class, and is definitely not a complete rehash of the automotive electrical and physics 2 classes I've already taken. Definitely couldn't be doing better things with my time.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Geirskogul posted:

Speaking of peeps what happened to West Saab Story: Kindle Edition?

(also I want to say I read SA before joining but I was hardcore into the Megatokyo forums before this and thought SA was for neckbearded people that blow up gamecubes and lose fingats. Yeah, much shame, to this day.)

I joined for loving EVE originally so you're at least ahead of one goon.

E: Oh poo poo, finally got approved for my major change. I am now officially a mechanical engineering major.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 2, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Slow is Fast posted:

The only people complaining about the prestigious misc chat thread opening time are people who probably haven't contributed any actual loving content that is really car related.

hey man i swapped an engine in my car ok

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Darchangel posted:

Pre-order @ GameStop included an exclusive in-game car body, a poster, and a sweet diecast of one variation of the Magnum Opus.

17+ EXCLISIVE COLLECTIBLE VEHICLE RATED M

naw but for real that's p sweet

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

itd be funny if it wasnt true

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Apple=BMW
Android=Mustang

:iiaca:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

oh man

i got a bottle of Souther Tier Warlock imperial stout on an impulse

i had loving forgotten how delicious that style of beer is

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

unless you're planning to run it as a heavily supercharged gas engine (the blocks are beefier), run the gently caress away

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CommieGIR posted:

Well, no. More for the 'diesel' part of it.

well step one is to add a water separator

e: and replace the head gaskets, and install head studs...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

im sfuckening sick and when i find out hwho i caught it form i'mma loving kill em cuase being sick is a loving rear end in a top hat

e: bRING ON THE FUCKIGN NANOMACHINES MAKE MY rear end HELATHY AGAIN

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kimbo305 posted:

You'd be surprised. A car that can do the Ring in less than 8minutes has this for a shifter:

im the head unit straight out of a loving cavalier

e: still would dd one

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Enourmo posted:

im the head unit straight out of a loving cavalier

e: still would dd one

ah, forgive me, it's actually out of a malibu. i knew id driven something with that radio.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

some texas redneck posted:

Goddamn. Mini rant here. Boss knew it was Memorial Day when he wrote the schedule

drat, I didn't realize they made schedules that far in advance. :v:

(im sorry)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Geirskogul posted:

Okay so the previous owner on my bus thought duct tape was the right way to go for wiring. Also he directly wired 12v to the antenna line (intentionally, used a spade connector and homemade adapter and everything), which explains why the radio didn't work anyway. This is getting interesting.

:allears:

maybe he was trying to amplify the signal reception

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Super Aggro Crag posted:

If someone killed my dog I would probably go on a similar rampage. I miss my Anna Banana stinky butt every drat day. Her leash and collar are hanging from my window blinds.

Trip report. Been over a week since I stopped smoking weed. Weekday nights and all day on the weekends are boring as poo poo. Luckily my Xanax script and booze helps me fall asleep. Emailed my resume to a few local companies today that do what I do. I'm just sick of making literally half of what my old job paid with no bennies at all. Give me $20/hr, a service van, a 401K and health bennies and I will bust my rear end everyday. So depressing.

that's... that's not better than weed...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ugh this sickness is still kicking my loving rear end, ive been posting coherently but ive basically felt like ive been hit by a freight train all loving day long

think i'm gonna have to stay home from school tomorrow even, gently caress

anyway, tangentially related to pizzachat this gif made me laugh so here have it on me before it ry to loving sleep

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i'm always torn between thinking it would be great to raise a kid and teach them to be independent and stuff, and fearing whether I'd be cut out for it or screw them up or have a bad day at work that affects the rest of their lives or whatever

but it's all academic really because it would involve touching a woman first and well look at me :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

corn in the fridge posted:

have you considered that maybe you're in the wrong occupation

All American mechanics are in the wrong occupation

or at least the wrong country

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

so i seem to be over my sickness. :unsmith:

but it's wrecked my sleep schedule that i'd JUST gotten into an actual diurnal cycle. :smith:

just in time for another 12 hour school day when i've already been up for like 15. :unsmigghh:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BrokenKnucklez posted:

While you fuckers have been busy jerking each other off with trolling, this poo poo has been happening.

First, pig in the new smoker

That'll do, pig.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

in a day and age where thousands of american servicemen and hundreds of thousands of iraqis and afghanis have died in unjust wars fought for oil

where the government can listen in on anything and everything you do on the internet and your smartphone with nothing stopping them but their own goodwill (lol)

where governmental coddling of the rich led to the worst financial meltdown since the loving great depression

where people are shot dead in the streets by policemen who get medals and promotions for their deeds without so much as getting charges filed if the person happened to be innocent

why the gently caress do people persist in posting bullshit 9/11 and moon landing conspiracies as THE BIG SECRET THEY'RE HIDING FROM YOU?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i can't find it right now but there's a comedian who did a similar bit fairly recently

"There's no way they could have landed on the moon in 1969!"
"Pffft... you believe in the moon?"

nah just the parts i don't like

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Same reason people are so concerned about what other people doing with their dongles while hunger and homelessness are a real problem in their first world country. You can certainly be worried about both, but I think one would have a slightly higher priority.

Hate these people! Fear that thing! If you aren't both furious and terrified every waking moment of your life you're not doing it right!

i know the answer i'm just pissed off about it

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ilkhan posted:

And on a total side note, why are V6/V8 engines usually disproportionately bigger than I4s?
The average 4 banger is about 2 liters, adding 50% more pistons should get a 3L, but the average 6 is about 3.5L. Doubling the the 4 banger should be 4L, but the average V8 is a 5.0 or 6.0+.
Whats the reasoning behind that?

4 bangers get a lot more harsh with size (they're balanced, but have a really strong second order vibration); 2.5 is basically as large as you can realistically go, even on performance cars (Porsche had a 3.0 in the 944 and 968 but that's really pushing it.) So above that you switch to 6 cylinders because they're a hell of a lot smoother, 100% balanced in the case of I6es. Below that it's not worth the expense because in a lot of cars length (of the car body/engine compartment) is a lot bigger constraint than width nowadays with firewalls moving forward, so it's hard to cram 2 cylinder banks in there.

You could make tiny V8s instead of V6es, but either:
  • You're just making a short stroke/smallbore/both version of a larger V8 to save money, meaning you have no savings in space or weight, or
  • You spend an inordinate amount of money to have an engine that's physically smaller by a marginal degree
But there are outliers there too; Honda had a 600cc I6 in the CBX600, Mazda made a 1.8L V6, and apparently GMC made a V6 ranging from 5 to 7.8L on the large end, so they do exist there. For V8s, if you include bikes and F1 engines you can have a complete range from 1 to 9.4 liters.

So it's not so much that other engines are disproportionately larger as 4 (and 3) cylinder engines are forced to be disproportionately small for reasons arising from their low cylinder count.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Welp some dipshit just shot our loving front door with a goddamn BB gun. :v: Shattered the whole outer glass pane.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MustardFacial posted:

How do you make the square holes needed to fasten a blank head carriage bolt?

Like this:

Either ream out a round hole with a square ream, or:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjckF0-VeGI

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Is it kosher to drive my car with the MAF unplugged a couple miles to the parts store? It dies with the sensor plugged in when I touch the throttle, and the CEL is on.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

some texas redneck posted:

It'll run and drive, but like Lloyd said, it'll be running in open loop, so it'll be running on the rich side. It might decide to go into limp, but it'll run.

I wouldn't drive it regularly like that, but a few miles? I don't see any cause for concern as long as you know the rev limiter might now be 3000 instead of 6500, so don't try to fly past a big truck in the fast lane or antyhing.

I ended up taking backroads to the place, you're right about the revs, though I don't know if it was a hard cutoff or just turbo boost loving with it (the stock fuel map is already wonky so I can imagine no-MAF mode not being particularly robust).

Had codes for the MAF and fuel pressure regulator after replacing a battery. I don't have time for further diag because of classwork, so to the shop it went. They'll get to it tomorrow.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well at all times it was sluggish as hell, and actually died if I turned the A/C on at idle, so it's whatever.

I'm just pissed at how quickly this escalated. I've needed a jump once a few weeks ago, then 2 Monday night. Had to get a jump yesterday morning, car idled fine but now suddenly would die with any throttle at all. Then on the next crank attempt it not only wouldn't turn over, but sucked the voltage down low enough to reset my radio. Checked the resting voltage when I got home, 11.7 V. Replaced the battery and now it starts fine and the alternator voltage looks fine, but now this fuel/MAF/whatever root cause issue is persisting even with good power.

God I loving hate cars.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yep.

I realize it's a 12yo car by now but it's still annoying when actual driveability issues crop up.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

T-Square posted:

A salesman, a sales manager, and a technician were talking about Supras at lunch today. I mentioned the nice fourth gen Supra that came in for service a couple of weeks ago. They all looked at me like I was an idiot and the sales manager swiftly informed me that there is no such thing as a fourth generation Supra, you heard it here guys.

As in the first two were technically Celicas, as in only the Mk4, or was it "no cars were built before the year 2000 and we're talking about the concept car"?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

while the sentiment is appreciated, everyone needs to vent sometimes.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So the shop called back about my car, apparently pcm isn't getting signal from the maf even with a good part in place

And now I think I'm an idiot because I have an air/fuel controller installed which intercepts and modifies the MAF signal, and I'll bet money that one of those connectors worked loose (they're the clamp-on spade type that cut through the insulation, which came with it; blame the idiot PO past me that installed them). I'll pick the car up tonight and poke around at it tomorrow, if that's what it ends up being... :negative:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

scrubs argue over various carbon based fuels

real renaissance men know the future lies in renewable heat sources

ie geothermal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yO8f-fySnQ

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm fine with cucumber most of the time, but one time I got some from my local supermarket and the cucumber was just one bigass chunk. gently caress that. Only time I've ever contemplated tossing out good food. (that's a lie I just poked it out and ate the rest, but good god do these people not understand the importance of texture?)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Around me it's about 50/50, personally I prefer just normal [fish] rolls with wasabi rather than the hot sauce.

The place right by my house I haven't been to in ages has fantastic prices on a la carte stuff, I need to go there again sometime.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

leica posted:

Just ate a big rear end container of sushi from Publix, they never put enough wasabi in there dammit.

publix sushi is the only grocery sushi i trust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i pulled the piggyback ecu off my car and now it runs agin but more sluggish than before

god damint

at what point it it better ti justbuy a fuckin mustang or somethin g vs trying to make this cars acceleration match its handling (which is p drat good)

anyway im gettin drunk for reasons

sup AI

• Locked thread