Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wake me up when this lovely month ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

some texas redneck posted:

In the US, cars are often downrated in towing capacity for some reason, compared to their overseas versions.

It's cause we're fatter on average and the car has to compensate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Miata thread has been hilarious for the last day or so.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phone posted:

REG DATE BRO

I almost piped up but you know he would've been "I WAS READING SA BEFORE I REGGED."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

So were we all.

I had a Jan '02 account but I got banned on my first post.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MustardFacial posted:

If a tree fell over in a windstorm, is there any chance it would survive a re-planting a little bit deeper, in a different spot?

Any visible damage to the roots? My step-dad used to own a tree moving service, I guess as long as the roots are intact it can be saved.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The cop who beat the gently caress out of me years ago just got fired from the department for severe misconduct.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

And will get hired by another department elsewhere.

We need a black book for bad cops.

I don't have all the details yet but mt friend who is also (still) a cop says charges have been filed, he may be arrested by the end of the week.

Some years back I was grabbed out of a crowd leaving a venue after a show, thrown across the hood of his cruiser, slammed to the ground where he then stomped on my chest and neck. When I woke up it was explained to me that I should just walk it off and not attempt any legal retaliation or else I would regret it. A few months ago he got hired as off duty security at the bar I used to work at so we had to stop hanging out there as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrChips posted:

Seriously lol if you think China is in any way going to dominate the world economically or otherwise.

This whole mess with their stock market of late? It's probably only the beginning...they've been cooking their books for a long loving time.

No you see, China is going to dominate our culture and language because Firefly told me so...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

whats going on this fine night :suicide:

I have a loving cold and I really want to be out drinking because I don't have to work tomorrow but instead I'm sitting here drinking Theraflu, watching Youtube and transforming my plastic robots.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress YOU ORIGINAL PARTS

the loving bracket was threaded on one side. Unlike the bracket on the JY Civic. Ended up flipping the grinder guard around and chopped the fucker out. This alt was not identical to the one I pulled and now it's giving me an error code long-long-short

quote:

21*
Accord Civic CRV CRX Del Sol Odyssey Prelude
94-98 ** 92-95 n/a n/a 93-95 n/a 93-95 VTEC Solenoid Valve
defective circuit or unplugged / defective solenoid valve
* not a valid code if car does not have a VTEC engine
** not with V-6 engine

So gonna pull the vtec solenoid and clean it and see what happens. On the plus side I have two guys chomping at the bit to buy the car so I should be rid of it shortly now that it's running again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wooot! The original dude still wants the car! He's coming over Sunday!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mafoose posted:

Check or redo the engine ground and reset ecu

Cleaned up the ground, reset the ECU, CEL came back. Long Long Short.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Did it come back immediately, or only after you wound it out high enough to hit VTEC?

If it came back immediately, the solenoid screen isn't dirty, it's a wiring issue. I think (but I'm not positive) that the ECU checks it for continuity at startup, so if you did a real reset (one that requires disconnecting the ground cable then turning on something high draw - like the headlight switch, or stepping on the brake pedal to light up the brake lights), it's a wiring issue.

But you did reset the ECU by pulling the ground cable off the battery, right? Sometimes pulling the fuse doesn't do it, particularly if there's an aftermarket stereo (the ecu memory backup and radio constant +12V share the same fuse, some aftermarket radios supposedly have caps in them to keep them from losing memory during a brief power loss - such as disconnecting a battery).

And the alternator varies between DX, LX, CX, EX/Si (Si of that gen was a hatch with the EX drivetrain and possibly power windows/locks/maybe sunroof, IIRC?), body style, options, etc etc etc etc etc. No idea why. I think there's a difference in output, since DX lacks any power options, LX has some, EX could be optioned with ABS, had a power sunroof standard, etc so it got the beefiest one. AFAIK the only difference is the way they look and the actual output, and likely share the same plug? For some reason, Honda made alternator and brake parts completely different based on trim and options on Civics (even the transmission made a difference), it always made getting the right brake parts a complete bitch for my non-ABS 96 Civic EX coupe 5 speed with air conditioning (also for the identical option 95). The 96 was an early 96 MY build, the 95 was a very late 95 MY build, and finding a new alternator for the 96 took something like 6 or 7 trips to the parts store. Enough that I finally just yanked the alternator, taped up the wires, and drove to the parts store with the alternator completely removed (sitting in the passenger seat so I could take it in and match it up). Found out how weak the battery was that day. :sigh:

Yeah, came back immediately. I'll check my wiring but everything looked solid. I did indeed pull the ground cable (ditto lovely aftermarket stereo).

So if the alt came out of an LX/EX it might be the issue? Because now that I think about it this probably came from non DX. However the plugs matched right up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I'd have to look at a schematic to be sure; since the only thing that has changed has been the alternator, it's possible that an alternator for a different tier could cause an issue. Unlikely, since like you said, they use the same plug, but possible. What's your voltage at idle + 2500 RPM, and what is it with the car not running (key on, but engine off)?

It's been over 10 years since I played Legos Sponsored by Honda, so I'm completely out of the loop. The last time I played Honda Legos was with my 91 Integra.

poo poo I dunno, I don't even know where my voltmeter is. The alt cost me like $25 or something so I could just run over and see if they have a DX on the lot. Looks like they have a half dozen 92-95's on the lot right now.

fake edit: try removing the belt, resetting the ECU. and see if you still get a code.

fake edit #2: try completely disconnecting the alternator (unplug it, remove the battery cable from it, tape the poo poo out of the battery cable so it can't short on anything) and starting it, see if you still get the code. You'll have to disconnect the battery every time, but it'll help narrow poo poo down.

I ran the car with no alt hooked up just the other day, no code then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Will do. If anything I can grab one from Harbor Freight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
CEL went away when I started the Civic today! Started it up and left it to idle for 10 minutes then went for a 5 minute drive, came back and let it idle again, No CEL!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Did you drive it hard enough to cause VTEC to engage? IIRC it kicks in around 5500 RPM on that ECU.

Yup, revved the gently caress out of. Hopefully it doesn't return as I'd like a stack of $100 bills.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugh. So hungover. Got trashed on super cheap beer last night and definitely paying for it today.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I accidentally took a 4 hour nap this afternoon and I need to wake up at 7am and I'm loving wired.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Woke up at 6:30, worked from 7:15 am until 11 pm. My body is in hurting mode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is the first thing to make me smile all drat day

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scuz posted:

Made this today:

I've had to explain the joke to ~90% of my co-workers. I'm either esoteric as heck or really dull. Maybe both!

:golfclap:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

I don't get it

That's the lead singer of Jane's Addiction.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

It looks much worse in person. I've looked it over really well inside and out and it appears that it was built on site on to the wall using the studs and then they tiled around it. Yes the tile is pink but it's still in really good shape, and wraps around the entire bathroom. If I could just replace the vanity and then tile over the terazzo floor it would be fine for a decade or more. But if I can't find something reasonably priced I might as well tear the whole thing apart and start from scratch.

My bathroom is the last part of the house that hasn't been touched, everything else has been renovated.

Oh look it's my Grandma's house.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

14 INCH DICK posted:

I get what you're trying to do but for the record Id willingly bust your face in with a tire iron if you tried to say I wasn't good at my job to my face so congrats on being a piece of poo poo

I am having what could be called an exceptionally bad couple of days right now. This just lifted my spirits out of the mud.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Which Republican Presidential Candidate is most likely to repeal Obamacare?

cuz that mutherfucka is getting my vote.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jamal posted:

Maybe it's because I'm Canadian, but it seems like voting for people that will make it work the way it was originally intended, and like the systems in other first world countries.

:canofworms:

They canceled my coverage after determining that I "doctored my earning statements."

And now they're loving billing me $80 a month for coverage I don't have.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geoj posted:

OTOH my wife couldn't get health insurance for any sum of money before it passed because she was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, an easily managed condition that requires a single annual blood test and a $5/30 day supply generic prescription.

Basically, because she would require about $150 in annual costs (they wouldn't even have to pay for the prescription since $5 is lower than pretty much any Rx copay) the insurance industry deemed her uninsurable.

Well I'm glad it's working out for her. There should just be a way to opt out and not be fined for it. This is getting stupider nd stupider with every time I speak to them. They want $720 for this year so far despite me having documents detailing that my coverage was canceled months ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You know, it's a little bit mean spirited but the "Dear Fat People" video is pretty loving hilarious despite being obnoxiously edited.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Enourmo posted:

Welp some dipshit just shot our loving front door with a goddamn BB gun. :v: Shattered the whole outer glass pane.

Do you live near the highway in AZ?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My car is sexy as gently caress and you are all just haters driving Miatas. My warranty will outlive the entirety of your poo poo-box car.

Uh huh. Until they deny your warranty claim because of excess moisture damage.

FROM SPLASHING THROUGH PUDDLES

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

Fantasy Football owns

I know a guy who's brother was so obsessed with fantasy gaming leagues that it ended his marriage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iwentdoodie posted:

Edit^^^yeah, but we've already established that you know literally all of the worst people. You're friends with SAC too, aren't you? It would fit

I'm friends with the brother, not the marriage ruiner!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ozmiander posted:

You're all being a bunch of circle jerking retards.

I'll scoot over if you want to get in on this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ozmiander posted:

I only do literal circlejerks, not this "lol your car is the worst" bullshit.

Have they worked out some sort of telepresence robot arm thing so you can jerk people off over the internet yet?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Thelonious posted:

Today owned. The local True Value hardware store closed a few years ago. This weekend they had an auction to clean the place out.

I just bought a Ridgid 535 pipe threader for $100.

The store closed and they left inventory in there for years?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Thelonious posted:

Yup. About two years ago they closed up on a Saturday afternoon, locked the doors and that was it. A fully stocked hardware store sat untouched.

The threader was the big score (around six grand new), but we also got a couple hundred dollars worth of copper pipe for 80 bucks. And the entire inventory of valves - sweat and threaded - gate, globe, ball ranging from 1/4" to 2". A few grand worth of valves for $200.

I run a small family hvac business and have never before been so giddy about buying tools and inventory.

That's crazy but pretty awesome!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just got wind of some horrifically racist poo poo that I said at a car show yesterday.

Oh wait, I didn't say it, some dude with the same name as me said it but because I don't use my real name on FB it blew back on me. God drat it.

Edit: To clarify, there was a charity car show yesterday. Some dude with the same name as me was spouting off the n-word a whole bunch, a nice racist rant I guess. It was assumed that he was me. Someone message a friend of mine and told him he shouldn't be friends with a piece of poo poo like me. He was confused and messaged me. We were able to sort it out pretty quickly but it's loving frustrating.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KozmoNaut posted:

Dashcam footage is basically useless here from a legal standpoint, it cannot be used as evidence, and insurance companies don't even want to look at it. But it's nice to have for remembering license plate numbers, and recording you talking about insurance details in case you misremember a digit in their phone number or something when you write it down.

I called the police as we were talking, since we absolutely couldn't agree about anything. But since no injuries etc. had happened, they didn't come out.

Now I've called them again to report the lacking (and incorrect) information she gave me. That got a better response, dunno whether it's worth anything. With no witnesses or anything, it's my word against hers, and the damage is probably so minor it can be buffed off quickly, leaving no evidence.

At least it seems that way on my car. Hardly seems worth going through insurance for, but I wanted to report it to my insurance company before her report (if she ever files one) comes to them.

I think technically she fled the scene of an accident since she gave you false information.

• Locked thread