Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Krishnan Guru-Murthy is fast becoming my most hated interviewer ever. He's this endless seeker of soundbite politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmao, this is the epitome of his worthlessness

I did not know that though, so thanks!

winegums posted:

Krishnan Guru-Murthy is fast becoming my most hated interviewer ever. He's this endless seeker of soundbite politics.

What happened to him? He used to be a principled left-wing journalist but he seems to have been taken into Room 101 in the past few years. Did he marry a Mail hack or something?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

lmao, this is the epitome of his worthlessness

I did not know that though, so thanks!

What happened to him? He used to be a principled left-wing journalist but he seems to have been taken into Room 101 in the past few years. Did he marry a Mail hack or something?

I've heard from a couple of different people who've worked with him that he's an arrogant prick (and has been for a good few years at least), so I get the impression that his interviewing approach has developed along the lines of what gets Krishnan Guru Murphy in the news more than anything else.

The same people also say that the rest of the channel 4 team are really good (with especially find words for Jon Snow and Cathy Newman), so it's not all hopeless

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I have a babby's first AV vote question - when exactly do third preferences come into play? Everything I've seen (about the labour leadership election) tells me that the second preferences of those who voted for the Kendall in last place get redistributed, and then the second preferences of those who voted for the Cooper in third place get redistributed, and then someone wins if they haven't already.

Are third preference votes just not relevant for this particular race or have I misunderstood?

I think part of my confusion stems from the fact that I always thought AV stood for Alternative Vote, not Alternative Votes

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

KKKlean Energy posted:

I have a babby's first AV vote question - when exactly do third preferences come into play? Everything I've seen (about the labour leadership election) tells me that the second preferences of those who voted for the Kendall in last place get redistributed, and then the second preferences of those who voted for the Cooper in third place get redistributed, and then someone wins if they haven't already.

Are third preference votes just not relevant for this particular race or have I misunderstood?

I think part of my confusion stems from the fact that I always thought AV stood for Alternative Vote, not Alternative Votes
Third preferences come in when your first choice goes out first, and second choice second (or the other way round). So if your preference is:

1) Kendall
2) Cooper
3) Burnham

Kendall goes out and your vote goes to Cooper. Next round, Cooper goes out and your preference vote goes to Burnham. If your top two get knocked out, you can still vote for whichever of the final two you're least against.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 2, 2015

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Autonomous Monster posted:

If Chuka's promising to respect the result of the leadership contest, I'd take that as a sign that he's managed to fix it for Kendall.

He's sniffed around, decided against being the front man for the anti-Corbyn wing of the party and is now edging his way towards a position that would allow him to take a seat in a Corbyn Shadow Cabinet. His dedication to advancing his career is all kinds of :3:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
^ I'd be willing to take that - it looks like Corbyn is going to have a lot of trouble keeping the party together unless he trades away lucrative positions in return for loyalty. It's worth it just for the ongoing Overton-shifting

Hoops posted:

Third preferences come in when your first choice goes out first, and second choice second (or the other way round). So if your preference is:

1) Kendall
2) Cooper
3) Burnham

Kendall goes out and your vote goes to Cooper. Next round, Cooper goes out and your preference vote goes to Burnham. If your top two get knocked out, you can still vote for whichever of the final two you're least against.

Got it! In hindsight that was pretty obvious :doh:

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 2, 2015

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Prince John posted:

So was I, until I looked more closely at the example:

"You work 5 days a week and you take 4 days off in total during the whole notice period - your employer only has to pay you for the first 2 days."

If the first interpretation is the right one, then you could have taken 4 days off in total, as long as there was no more than two days in any given week. The more pessimistic interpretation seems to match up with this random news article I found:

Would still be very interested to hear people's practical experience with this, whether they had to fight for it and anything else of relevance.

When I was made redundant, nobody gave a poo poo that the only times I came into the office were when I wanted to use the printer. But that was a whole office being shut down, a few people going may well be handled differently.

I'd suggest asking your boss about time off you want - they might just let you go without putting it on the books.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Hoops posted:

1) Kendall
2) Cooper
3) Burnham

Wait, do you seriously only vote for three candidates in a four-person election?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

freebooter posted:

Wait, do you seriously only vote for three candidates in a four-person election?

No, that was just for clarity, I imagine.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

freebooter posted:

Well I might be showing my ignorance here again but surely the fourth preference vote will never come into play regardless of what happens

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
it matters if there's a reopen nominations option, but otherwise yeah

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
The least popular candidate's votes are redistributed in terms of the second preferences of whoever voted for that candidate as first preference.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Found this on Facebook, it's pretty clearly from the Private Eye so I guess there's a new issue out:

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah right I'll believe it when I see it. If he's quiet it's only because he's plotting, can't trust the man any further than you can throw him.

He's a slippery fucker. Fortunately his name rhymes wonderfully.

quote:

Labour's Chuka Umunna has urged his party to unite around its new leader, in an apparent offer of reconciliation with left-wing leadership candidate Jeremy Corbyn.

Mr Umunna said the party should not "simply dismiss out of hand those who hold critical views of New Labour". He added "solidarity is key" and the party must "accept the result".

Meanwhile, a new grouping of moderate party figures, including Mr Umunna, will meet for the first time next week.

This new group, called Labour for the Common Good, will meet when MPs return to Westminster, and is being jointly led by Mr Umunna and shadow education secretary Tristram Hunt.

BBC political correspondent Chris Mason said Mr Umunna was "at pains to claim this group will not be a faction; a party within a party with the immediate aim of toppling Ed Miliband's successor". In a speech to centre-left think tank Policy Network, Mr Umunna said his party must support "our new leader in developing an agenda that can return Labour to office".
Jeremy Corbyn, the bookmakers' favourite, is up against Yvette Cooper, Andy Burnham and Liz Kendall in the leadership contest.

Mr Umunna, who withdrew from the contest in its early stages, acknowledged Islington North MP Mr Corbyn had enthused many who had previously been turned off by the party.

"Over half a million people are now members, supporters or affiliated supporters of our party, with hundreds of thousands joining in the last few weeks," he said.
"Some have joined in order to thwart the pursuit of Labour values butmany more have joined to further the pursuit of those values, including lots of young people.
"At a time when so many are walking away from centre-left parties across the Western world, and many young people do not vote let alone join a party, this is surely something to celebrate.

"It is vital that we embrace our new joiners and harness their energy," he added.

So much u-turning and hyprocrisy, it's unbelievable. "We must unite behind our leader!" *founds splinter group"

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

im always bemused by people making speeches about the party whilst out of the country

E: Chuka is positioning himself to be the united labour candidate for 2020, but if he does get in he'll chase neoliberalism as standard - this might be the new new labour tactic - theyve realised if they are seen to be screwing with/playing politics with corbyn everyone will hate them so they need someone who is above all that/not connected to it to eventually run in the leadership election if they do mange to oust him

Phoon fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 2, 2015

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Prince John posted:

Fortunately his name rhymes wonderfully.

Jointly led by Chuka and Mr. Hunt. I like this splinter group already.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phoon posted:

E: Chuka is positioning himself to be the united labour candidate for 2020
Will he have stopped being two midgets in a trench coat or whatever dark secret it was that scared him off running by then?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Guavanaut posted:

Will he have stopped being two midgets in a trench coat

This I want to be true above all other things.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Guavanaut posted:

Will he have stopped being two midgets in a trench coat or whatever dark secret it was that scared him off running by then?

He probably couldn't vote, anyway, what with being a paid up member of The Conservative Party.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

hes got five years to kill off everyone who knows his secret

The press loving love him though, they always refer to him as a moderniser which is odd since he seems to be mostly advocating the status quo

In that piece he even talks about corbyn raising taxes on small business like "how outrageous that he wants to do this" but corbyn has talked repeatedly about protecting small businesses (with possible tax breaks, possible rent controls on smaller commercial/retail properties etc)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Phoon posted:

The press loving love him though, they always refer to him as a moderniser

'cause he's young and he's black and his hat's real low

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Rafael Baer remains a barely readable oval office:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/02/jeremy-corbyn-prevail-monopoly-virtue-labour

quote:

This moral high ground gave Corbyn strange immunity from criticism. When the anointed one is the incarnation of principle, his actions are beyond reproach. Scrutiny of his opinions and the company he has kept are “smears”. If he has invited to parliament men who justify terrorism or shared platforms with antisemites and homophobes it cannot be because his judgment is warped. It must be an enlightened strategy of engagement for the higher cause of peace. These fellow travellers include people who have called 9/11 “sweet revenge” and said Nazi gas chambers are a hoax to promote “Jew- worshipping” in Europe.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Those first two paragraphs :psyduck:

"Labour are no longer trying to change the minds of people who vote Conservative. Instead they are trying to challenge the myths that cause people to vote Conservative."
Why are they doing that Rafael? What result do they want from doing that? Could it be linked to your first statement? Come on Rafael I know you can do this.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Read this this morning and literally lolled. Out of all the worthless Graun smear articles, I think this one might be the worst.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

He's gone from banal to 'you plebs just won't listen' in typical liberal fashion. How dare we refer to blatant distortion and misrepresentations of things said by Corbyn as 'smears'?

That (I presume) Private Eye spread is brilliant.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

quote:

Nurses are increasingly turning to food banks and payday lenders to make ends meet as a result of years of public sector pay restraint, according to Janet Davies, new general secretary and chief executive of the Royal College of Nursing

[...]

A staff nurse is already 20% worse off in real terms than in 2010, after a two-year pay freeze under the coalition government followed by a 1% cap on pay rises, says Davies. So her heart sank when the chancellor, George Osborne, used his first Conservative budget in June to announce that public sector pay rises will be capped at 1% a year for the next four years.
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/sep/02/nursing-chief-janet-davies-shortages-affect-patients-lives

gently caress tories forever tbh.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Shout-out to that guy in a previous thread who thought Behrhead was a thoughtful commentator who looks at things from a nuanced view.

Seriously I would leave that man in a burning building to save a can of fosters.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

gently caress the RCN too. Spineless loving organisation masquerading as a union. Maybe if they loving supported striking we would get somewhere.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!
Also Private Eye have also released a map that shows all land and property held by an offshore company based on data from the Land Registry.

Private Eye posted:

OVER the last year Private Eye has revealed the extent of ownership of British land by offshore companies, generally for tax avoidance and often to conceal dubious wealth. Now the Eye has created an easily searchable online map of these properties, revealing for the first time the British property interests of companies based in tax havens. Using Land Registry data released under Freedom of Information laws, and then linking more than 100,000 land title register entries to specific addresses, the Eye has tracked all leasehold and freehold interests acquired by offshore companies between 2005 and 2014.

The map shows all land and property registered in England and Wales in the name of an offshore company between 2005 and July 2014. It uses data released following Freedom of Information requests from Private Eye and expert work by software engineer Anna Powell-Smith.

Freehold properties are indicated by orange shapes covering the exact area of the property. Leasehold properties are shown by purple pin points. The map includes properties owned by any overseas company, not just those based in tax havens, sometimes for legitimate reasons. Even the freehold on the saintly Eye’s premises, owned by an Australian company, appears. Highlighting an individual property’s details also provides a link to email the Eye with any further information readers may have about the property.

All data is from Land Registry records, which occasionally contain errors. “Price paid” figures may be totals for sales including other properties. When a property title has been identified, the underlying Land Registry record can be obtained for a £3 fee from https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry.

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/registry

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Serotonin posted:

gently caress the RCN too. Spineless loving organisation masquerading as a union. Maybe if they loving supported striking we would get somewhere.

they're dependent on Tories to cut immigration, and the Tories themselves are split between IMMIGRANTS and UNIONS

which readily explains their caution

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

ronya posted:

they're dependent on Tories to cut immigration, and the Tories themselves are split between IMMIGRANTS and UNIONS

which readily explains their caution

You lost me.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Venmoch posted:

Also Private Eye have also released a map that shows all land and property held by an offshore company based on data from the Land Registry.

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/registry

at first I was wondering why "offshore" instead of the usual "foreign", but a casual perusal shows a lot of British Virgin Islands, Guernsey, Jersey, the like

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
http://www.theguardian.com/society/patrick-butler-cuts-blog/2015/sep/02/volunteer-law-project-wins-95-of-fit-for-work-test-appeal-cases

quote:

Almost all of the 200 “fit for work“ test appeals undertaken by a student volunteer project have been won, providing more evidence of the unreliability of the government’s controversial work capability assessment (WCA).

The programme was created by Avon and Bristol Law centre, two years ago using a handpicked team of law students to fill the gap created by legal aid cuts in 2013. Legal aid has all but disappeared for welfare benefits work.

The centre revealed this week that the students have won 95% of the appeals they took to Bristol’s Social security and Child Support tribunal, successfully reinstating £1m of benefits for ill and disabled clients wrongly assessed by the WCA as able to work.

Most of those clients who turned to the Avon and Bristol project after being found fit for work had mental health problems or severe physical illness.

According to the law centre, the national average success rate for WCA appeals is 59%. Around 44% of those who appeal receive no professional or legal represention. But the Avon case provides more evidence that where they do, the chances of overturning the original decision increase hugely.
Did I already say gently caress tories?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Perhaps it's precisely because the press know his secret that they love him so... invisible levers aaaa :tinfoil:

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 2, 2015

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Serotonin posted:

It's rather amazing that so many people, globally, believe that Unions are relics and no longer needed, when without fail you can find an industry in any country with unions where the non-unies are paid like trash and given no benefits, while the ones that actually unionizevand practise striking and collective bargaining typically get livable wages and good benefits.

I know a lot of conservative/neo-_____ beliefs require ignorance, but this is one of those things virtually impossible to not see.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's not that the beliefs require ignorance, it's that they don't believe most people deserve liveable wages and good benefits...

Don't confuse being a oval office with being stupid.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Gutting DLA and gutting legal aid - a prefect match for gutting the most vulnerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

tooterfish posted:

It's not that the beliefs require ignorance, it's that they don't believe most people deserve liveable wages and good benefits...

Don't confuse being a oval office with being stupid.

I think there's more stupid than cunts in the world, mind. Not by much, but somewhat.

I think most people probably just assume that somehow, wages and livable conditions work themselves out because people (that I can see) aren't literally dying in front of me (because we keep them out of the way to do that) so obviously we don't really need these unions (who I only ever hear about when they strike).

• Locked thread