Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for August, 2015?
This poll is closed.
:perfect: Jay Lethal (ROH World Champion) 25 15.72%
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 18 11.32%
:eyepop: Prince Puma (FORMER Lucha Underground Champion) 7 4.40%
:megadeath: Mil Muertes (Lucha Underground Champion) 45 28.30%
:rant: Seth Rollins (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) 37 23.27%
:wotwot: Ethan Carter III (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 5 3.14%
:flashfap: Masato Yoshino (FORMER Open the Dream Gate Champion) 0 0%
:smithmouth: Shingo Takagi (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 5 3.14%
:dukedog: Hiroyoshi Tenzan (FORMER NWA World Heavyweight Champion) 0 0%
:jackbud: Jax Dane (NWA World Heavyweight Champion) 0 0%
:goku: Hirooki Goto (IWGP Intercontintal Champion) 1 0.63%
:jerry: What's the deal with these Champions? (None of the Above) 16 10.06%
Total: 159 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

minoru suzuki posted:

they are champion of a developmental feeder league.

Who cares? It has its own TV product, PPVs, and live events that can sell out 15,000-person arenas. It has some of the greatest wrestlers in the world. I legitimately don't understand the inclusion requirements for this poll, especially considering the IWGP Intercontinental Championship and the loving NWA Championship are on here.

I'd vote for Bayley over anyone else in that list. Possibly Finn Balor too, were only one NXT championship represented :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

Who cares? It has its own TV product, PPVs, and live events that can sell out 15,000-person arenas. It has some of the greatest wrestlers in the world. I legitimately don't understand the inclusion requirements for this poll, especially considering the IWGP Intercontinental Championship and the loving NWA Championship are on here.

I'd vote for Bayley over anyone else in that list. Possibly Finn Balor too, were only one NXT championship represented :shrug:

The IWGP Intercontinental Title main evented the New Japan equivalent of Wrestlemania. The last man to challenge for the NXT Title lost a feud over a WWE undercard title and at Summerslam faced a guy who hasn't been above the midcard in over a year.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Is this poll based on "this wrestler won important matches against kayfabe high-tier opponents this month" or is it based on "I enjoyed watching this wrestler this month"?

Because in the last month, looking at all the wrestling champions out there, I had the most fun watching Bayley and Finn Balor. If I am voting on the wrong criteria let me know, I guess?

(also if it's all about kayfabe-match-importance then Bayley should still be on the list but whatever)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the nwa title should not be on these polls since it is not a top title in a major league promotion. neither should the tna title. lucha underground should also be removed following this month since it doesn't exist until season 2 starts if ever.

titles that get brought up but that shouldn't be included

pwg: isn't defended frequently enough and is only defended in one building ever, and sometimes not even featured on the few shows that are run in it per year. plus the tag titles are the more over title in pwg.

evolve: like 3 people watch evolve. but if the company gained traction in this forum it might be possible to consider adding it. i'd give it the most likely nod to be added if any belt is

nxt: feeder league title, was treated as such the one time it was defended on a non nxt show.

nxt women's title: feeder league girl title, while it has great workrate matches, former champions move on to the main roster so they can be stripped of their personality and promo time while being booked in matches almost seemingly designed to rid them of the workrate reputation they had on the minor leagues. this is a stepping stone belt that steps you into a deep dark pit.

chikara grand title: weird dumb rules, is like never defended ever, has icarus as a former champion

fip title: it looks real gay.

aaa mega title: it legit gets defended like two or three times a year. theres a reason almost all the champs have 1-4 year runs with it.

cmll doesn't have a top belt.

iwgp ic should stay in its spot since it still main events ppvs on occasion and is still defended in the main event/high midcard position, the same spot the old wwe big gold belt was slotted in.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

Is this poll based on "this wrestler won important matches against kayfabe high-tier opponents this month" or is it based on "I enjoyed watching this wrestler this month"?

Because in the last month, looking at all the wrestling champions out there, I had the most fun watching Bayley and Finn Balor. If I am voting on the wrong criteria let me know, I guess?

(also if it's all about kayfabe-match-importance then Bayley should still be on the list but whatever)

the criteria is "which top star who is the top champion of his promotion was the best at being the champion"

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

fip still exists?!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

minoru suzuki posted:

the criteria is "which top star who is the top champion of his promotion was the best at being the champion"

Bayley gave a promo where she appeared with her family and had the belt and cried and I cried a little bit and that makes her the best at being the champion :colbert:

Regardless of whether NXT is a separate promotion, it's still a separate product. That's why I think it's worthy of a spot on this poll. But if people want to be pedantic on that front I won't push it and will just continue voting none of the above in cases like this

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

minoru suzuki posted:

plus the tag titles are the more over title in pwg.

There are several reasons why the PWG title doesn't really work for these polls, but no way is this true. Candice and Joey winning the tag belts in Guerrilla Warfare is the most those championships have meant in ages and even then I'd say both O'Reilly's and Roddy's title wins were bigger events. They don't even like showing people holding the tag belts in photos because they're too cheap to get new belts that don't look like rear end.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I won't be including the NWA Title next month, it basically only got put back in because it was featuring heavily on NJPW shows and that in conjunction with its former status as the top belt in the world had enough people pushing for its inclusion. Over the last year or so the title has gone without defenses for long periods of time, and most of those matches have taken place unaired in tiny little shows in parts of the US most of us probably don't even know exist. It clearly isn't a priority for New Japan with their own World Title, the IC Title AND the Never Openweight Title getting far more prestige, it's time to remove it (sorry to like the one or two people who vote for it every month).

The Lucha Underground title won't be on next month because the show is on hiatus - I had hoped that by the time we got to this point the show would either have been picked up for a second season or even been airing (or at least taping!) new episodes, but when (WHEN!) it comes back I'll put it back on the poll.

Once we've gone a calendar month without TNA having television, I'll take it off the poll as well regardless of if they're continuing to do tapings/house shows etc. If they get themselves a new TV deal somehow, it'll remain/return.

For the time being the IWGP IC Belt remains, because it's still mostly been treated as a headlining belt for the promotion that the top guys in the company are all trying to get their hands on - it's just we've had a period where there have been few title shots due to the G1 and Super Junior tournaments not making it really possible to have them.

If they legimately made NXT a third brand of WWE and not a developmental (which is not a bad thing to be!) I would include the Men's and Women's Champion in a second, they treat their champions like gold and I'd love to vote for Bayley.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 6, 2015

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'd argue that the GHC heavyweight title should get included next month as a test. The stuff's on DailyMotion, a major defense is taking place this month and a forum favorite holds the belt.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the IWGP IC title did not main event Wrestlekingdom, Hiroshi Tanahashi main evented Wrestlekingdom

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

reminder they had then nxt womens champion Charlotte have an appearance on raw to build up a takeover special where she was immediately squashed in 4 minutes.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

minoru suzuki posted:

reminder they had then nxt womens champion Charlotte have an appearance on raw to build up a takeover special where she was immediately squashed in 4 minutes.

gotta keep Nattie strong, wherever she is

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Thauros posted:

I'd argue that the GHC heavyweight title should get included next month as a test. The stuff's on DailyMotion, a major defense is taking place this month and a forum favorite holds the belt.

i also agree with this, because it will finally let me vote with my heart

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

If people are able to vote for the NXT title before I get to vote for Roddy the Body, PWG Champion I'll piss straight up in the air.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

NienNunb posted:

If people are able to vote for the NXT title before I get to vote for Zack Sabre Jr, future PWG Champion I'll piss straight up in the air.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Thauros posted:

i also sorta support this but noah is still a promotion thats really under the radar

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

if nxt is the developmental feeder league for wwe then noah is the direct opposite of that for njpw where old men go to die and cruisers aren't even given the opportunity to be wasted on the main stage

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

oatgan posted:

if nxt is the developmental feeder league for wwe then noah is the direct opposite of that for njpw where old men go to die and cruisers aren't even given the opportunity to be wasted on the main stage

Wrestlemania? :v:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

oatgan posted:

yeah this is kinda another reason im not too hot on noah being included

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

The WCW World Title was a legitimate world title.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

minoru suzuki posted:

yeah this is kinda another reason im not too hot on noah being included

NJPW tries to pretend it's still an independent company tho and one big difference imo is how the titles are treated when they show up in the big company. NXT champs (both men's and women's) can and will job on the main roster but you'll never see the GHC champ job if he shows up in NJPW.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 7, 2015

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Thauros posted:

NJPW tries to pretend it's still an independant company tho and one big difference imo is how the titles are treated when they show up in the big company. NXT champs (both men's and women's) can and will job on the main roster but you'll never see the GHC champ job if he shows up in NJPW.

during his title run he dropped losses at wrestling dontaku and back to the yokohama arena

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 7, 2015

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

:confused:

He was protected pretty well in that run iirc and they made sure to have him drop the title to KENTA before the G1 started last year.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

The WCW World Title was a legitimate world title.

Oh you :allears:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I though people only wanted the ic belt on there because nakamura held it and wanted an excuse to vote for him???

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Fairly sure it was only added when NJPW decided the IC Title should main event the biggest show of the year over the IWGP Heavyweight title. Don't really remember if I was for or against it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If I recall correctly, it was because for a time NJPW seemed to be alternating which title main evented each big show, effectively elevating it to equal status with the Heavyweight belt.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

IC title main evented B shows

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

oatgan posted:

IC title main evented B shows

invasion attack isn't a b show

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I told you all the IC title was a jobber title and it is now held by a jobber.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

I told you all the IC title was a jobber title and it is now held by a jobber.

HEY! Goto isn't a jobber :mad:

He's a choke artist :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Jerusalem posted:

HEY! Goto isn't a jobber :mad:

He's a choke artist :)

jobber to the stars

• Locked thread