Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Just sent everyone their keys, if you want one, get in the discord chat
https://discord.gg/y557kzz

Remember, all your Celador progress will stay going forward.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Well, this sure is an unfinished UO clone. It's not embarrassingly bad or anything but I'm definitely more interested in what people will do with it.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
Despite a ping of only 80 at any given time, there is still a heinous delay at times. I don't know if it's the server or me, but it becomes unplayable until I relog.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

PsychicToaster posted:

Despite a ping of only 80 at any given time, there is still a heinous delay at times. I don't know if it's the server or me, but it becomes unplayable until I relog.

Its not you, its happening to me as well.

Combat is unplayable due to the 10 sec lag between swings, in the meantime the npc has hit me 4 times already.
Try to open my character and quest window takes about 5 sec.

Kinda hope they clear this up, cause this can be a really fun game.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

PsychicToaster posted:

i tried early this morning and made my way to the mining spot in the newbie town. stuttering and rubberbanding everywhere. it looks like a fun game but i can barely play it. thanks, eonwe for the code. or alex if you gave it to eonwe who gave it to me

i didnt try relogging to see what happens, maybe ill try later

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
A relog will fix it, for a short period of time, but I would like to think this is something they could have fixed by now. It's been like that since the beginning. Hell, I think it's worse now than before.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Yeah, it looks like some fun could be had here if I could actually reliably do things when I push buttons instead of a random duration of 0.5-4 seconds after I push the button.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it may be a server load thing

its running a lot worse now

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
It was a lot better early Saturday, but ultimately that delay is there even when the server isn't getting slammed. I get they want to have complete server-authoritative for security reasons, but sweet jesus they need a better solution. A 1 second delay to open up the map?

It's certainly still deep into the Alpha territory and it worries me that they are saying no more wipes after this, it's still super rough and combat/crafting/everything is all over the place w/r/t skill effectiveness and consistency/usefulness. Housing needs a lot of work as well, it's already running into the UO problem of too many houses too close. You can't even find poo poo to kill outside of town anymore because there are so many houses crammed side-by-side.

For anyone still playing/trying to play I would avoid melee combat, or at least avoid piercing/rogue skills. The difference between 20 piercing/melee and 40 means that instead of missing 9/10 swings, I miss 8/10. Stealing is pretty much useless except to get guard wacked in town, and backstab is hilariously broken with the crazy delay on everything. One of the devs claimed in chat this was because I was fighting things far more skilled than me, but most of the time it's a miss fest on both sides. It really seems like something is just broken with melee combat, my skills almost always hit, but normal attacks rarely do.

Magic seems to be far more effective at killing stuff.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I quaffed two health potions back to back and my health now regens at rested speed in combat and has shown no sign of going away. I can kill anything that can't two-shot me. Solid bug.

edit: I have lost immortality after the server lagged out. RIP

Phoix fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 25, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Until they fix the weight bug, I can't recommend playing a game where your inventory is bugged and you can lose all your materials/equipment/money. See you guys in November.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Playing a magic user is reminiscent of Everquest in a bad way. Finish a fight and meditate for 2 minutes. Mana regen is basically nonexistent unless you're resting, meaning you can't kill anything you can't nuke outright. The mana regen skill does almost nothing. On top of all that, the game is rude enough to give you a skill that "reduces mana cost by 70%" for 2-5 seconds" - with that 1 second input lag on both the skill use and a spell cast, plus your standard 2 second cast time, it basically never lands.

The UI is clunky and I hate the inventory management - the UO backpack doesn't exist anymore because it was terrible, sorry.

Itemization is still broken. For instance, magic scrolls can spawn with enhancements - bonuses that make them better than their standard counterparts. I saw one spawn in a shop with bonus -2 spell damage.

They've made some improvements (skill and crafting UI are both better) and I really really want to like the game, but I just can't bear it in its current state. Fix the input lag and the mana regen and I'd give it another chance.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Phoix posted:

I quaffed two health potions back to back and my health now regens at rested speed in combat and has shown no sign of going away. I can kill anything that can't two-shot me. Solid bug.

edit: I have lost immortality after the server lagged out. RIP

I had that happen a few times when I tried the game last month. I'm surprised they haven't fixed it but it's a good bug.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Ruggan posted:

Playing a magic user is reminiscent of Everquest in a bad way. Finish a fight and meditate for 2 minutes. Mana regen is basically nonexistent unless you're resting, meaning you can't kill anything you can't nuke outright. The mana regen skill does almost nothing. On top of all that, the game is rude enough to give you a skill that "reduces mana cost by 70%" for 2-5 seconds" - with that 1 second input lag on both the skill use and a spell cast, plus your standard 2 second cast time, it basically never lands.

The UI is clunky and I hate the inventory management - the UO backpack doesn't exist anymore because it was terrible, sorry.

Itemization is still broken. For instance, magic scrolls can spawn with enhancements - bonuses that make them better than their standard counterparts. I saw one spawn in a shop with bonus -2 spell damage.

They've made some improvements (skill and crafting UI are both better) and I really really want to like the game, but I just can't bear it in its current state. Fix the input lag and the mana regen and I'd give it another chance.

:agreed:

I'll check back on this game in another 6 months.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Alpha launch January 7th 2017. It's not going to Steam yet but it's getting close.

http://us8.campaign-archive1.com/?u=e8cbcf2768e057b532c8dc27f&id=33616fb80f&e=cfc38da4e2

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 23, 2016

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Alpha launch January 7th 2017. It's not going to Steam yet but it's getting close.

http://us8.campaign-archive1.com/?u=e8cbcf2768e057b532c8dc27f&id=33616fb80f&e=cfc38da4e2

But can I do anything without a 5 second delay?

Dinurth fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 23, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Dinurth posted:

But can I do anything without a 5 second delay?

Will get back 2 u on that tonight, the client is out for my backing tier.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Will get back 2 u on that tonight, the client is out for my backing tier.

That sounded like an rear end in a top hat sarcastic question, but I'm genuinely interested in the answer. I want this game to be worth something but everytime I play a closed alpha I feel less confident. :(

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Dinurth posted:

That sounded like an rear end in a top hat sarcastic question, but I'm genuinely interested in the answer. I want this game to be worth something but everytime I play a closed alpha I feel less confident. :(

I'm hopeful the alpha they are releasing next month clears alot of the issues they are facing now.

In my opinion this game is still better than Shroud of the avatar.
Cause somehow SOTA has over 10 million dollars, more people working on it, and it still looks and plays like a pile of garbage.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

last time i played the rubberbanding seemed less crazy

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Dinurth posted:

Not an rear end in a top hat sarcastic question, I'm not any more of a fan of their authoritative User Interface than you are. Like, why should the server need to authenticate the fact that I hit the backpack button? It leads to a really janky experience.

Installing the new version, give me an hour and I'll let you know how it is.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
Alpha client is an improvement beyond comparison with the live version. I don't even want to play the drat live client right now.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

PsychicToaster posted:

Alpha client is an improvement beyond comparison with the live version. I don't even want to play the drat live client right now.

Just did a good 20 minute test, I can confirm this. The authoritative UI is still there but it's much more responsive and the game feels much better. Night and day experience compared to what I was playing in early October. Don't know if the bugs that made me stop playing are still there but I'm going to wait for the alpha launch because that was something I experienced over several hours of gameplay.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Just did a good 20 minute test, I can confirm this. The authoritative UI is still there but it's much more responsive and the game feels much better. Night and day experience compared to what I was playing in early October. Don't know if the bugs that made me stop playing are still there but I'm going to wait for the alpha launch because that was something I experienced over several hours of gameplay.

The UI is balls. I circumvented the lack of multiple hotbars on screen by remapping my swap hotkeys to E and R, which helps a bit. I know from talking to the devs that a better UI is in the future of this game, but it may not be until after alpha. Frustrating, but manageable.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I don't mind the UI design itself, they'll iterate on it and it'll be awesome eventually. It's the "server checks" that bother me. You try to open a menu and it has to check with the server whether that's okay and I'd imagine it's loading inventory content/character data in too and it means a 0.5-1 second delay that makes the game feel really janky.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
Ahhhhh. Yeah that is a thing. I quit noticing after awhile though.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

PsychicToaster posted:

The UI is balls. I circumvented the lack of multiple hotbars on screen by remapping my swap hotkeys to E and R, which helps a bit. I know from talking to the devs that a better UI is in the future of this game, but it may not be until after alpha. Frustrating, but manageable.

what "devs" are you speaking with?

just curious...

please tell us.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

iminers posted:

what "devs" are you speaking with?

just curious...

please tell us.

They're quite active in the Discord. Questions asked are often answered, but they do like to keep us pumped for surprises. Supreem, the lead developer, Logrus, Dan, Miphon, they make a habit of engaging in discussion. The monthly round tables are also a good opportunity to get involved.

Your quotation marks around 'devs' led me to read that as sarcasm. Hopefully this was a legitimate question.

PsychicToaster fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 25, 2016

Zoopy
Aug 31, 2002

"HAT."
I gave in and bought a key.

The game feels unfinished as gently caress, I understand it's a pre-alpha but.. super buggy, crashed relentlessly.. every single house door opens and closes as you run past them making a terrible creaking sound.

Also the sound in this game is horrendous at this point... I would wait if you are on the fence. I got impatient looking for a new UO-style MMO and pretty much feels like I wasted 40 dollars at this point. I'm glad they are making the game and I understand it's HARD to do that but.. for those looking to play something, I would say this is not playable at this point. for me, anyways.

And yeah lots of the Devs are in Discord and talk to us all the time, super nice and will answer questions which is part of the reason I bought a key.. I want to support them and I'll try the game as they update it.

Zoopy fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 25, 2016

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
The creaking doors are annoying. However, when the client crashes, don't click okay. Instead, ignore it and click back to the game, which will continue running ^^ With the crash window left in the background, it won't minimize the game again and you can play as normal.

PsychicToaster fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 25, 2016

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

PsychicToaster posted:

They're quite active in the Discord. Questions asked are often answered, but they do like to keep us pumped for surprises. Supreem, the lead developer, Logrus, Dan, Miphon, they make a habit of engaging in discussion. The monthly round tables are also a good opportunity to get involved.

Your quotation marks around 'devs' led me to read that as sarcasm. Hopefully this was a legitimate question.

It is. i forgot they have a discord set up and they devs hang in there.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Zoopy posted:

I gave in and bought a key.

The game feels unfinished as gently caress, I understand it's a pre-alpha but.. super buggy, crashed relentlessly.. every single house door opens and closes as you run past them making a terrible creaking sound.

Also the sound in this game is horrendous at this point... I would wait if you are on the fence. I got impatient looking for a new UO-style MMO and pretty much feels like I wasted 40 dollars at this point. I'm glad they are making the game and I understand it's HARD to do that but.. for those looking to play something, I would say this is not playable at this point. for me, anyways.

And yeah lots of the Devs are in Discord and talk to us all the time, super nice and will answer questions which is part of the reason I bought a key.. I want to support them and I'll try the game as they update it.

Have you tried the alpha build? I feel the same way about 0.35 but 0.40 is a huge improvement. Can't say whether I'd make 0.40 my "game" but it's certainly far more playable.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up, 0.40 should be going on the live server on Monday and there will be an alpha weekend where those keys I've been distributing should be reactivated from the 13th-15th. Is there any demand for new keys?

Also if you haven't already, check out the new website.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 6, 2017

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I wish I knew when people were getting access to server/modding below the $200 level. I asked a few times on discord but it sounds like even they don't know.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

30.5 Days posted:

I wish I knew when people were getting access to server/modding below the $200 level. I asked a few times on discord but it sounds like even they don't know.

We got an answer on that once but I forgot exactly what it was but vaguely the gist of it was "after Steam launch when we improve on the tools". I've heard things and right now it just isn't worth digging into.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Alpha is live, if you had a key from previous weekend tests, it's reactivated again and there's double XP right now.
https://shardsonline.com/alpha-is-live/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C309fRjIJw

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 13, 2017

Stentorian Hoot
Jun 14, 2001

Couldn't get it up...
Gonna give this another try. In as PrawnLord.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
I'll jump in tomorrow and give it another try.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
drat son, the lag is gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
My key didn't reactivate for some weird reason...