Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

me 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TNG posted:

Well Dick was a paranoid schizophrenic, and had moved a bit beyond the US government being the sole source of domination of his and the people's minds. The poo poo with Lem went down in the mid 70s, so he was probably obsessing over the cold war and making up all sorts of scenarios. The thing about paranoid schizophrenics is that they will go to authority to report perceived wrongs and bad goings on because they believe that will lessen the impact of the mania in their minds by getting THE MAN onto them.

Wasn't this a literal plot point in A Scanner Darkly?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seafort_Saga

This is David Feintuch. These books are akin to the old English Admiralty.
Think space ships with 1800 laws. Corporal Punishment is a big theme in the books.
There is also just a lot of weird relationships between people, nothing sexual, it is about power.
Reading those books makes me uncomfortable.

Gerrold?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_Against_the_Chtorr

Like I said before, he wrote a lot of weird sexual poo poo, including the main character having sex with girl (under 10) he adopted.
Was it a dream? Nope. I loving squirm every single time I read that book. I have no idea what the gently caress he was thinking or how anyone allowed him to publish that.

Edit: There is a context to it and whatever, but no loving way, not cool. Nope.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 7, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
A Matter for Men, by Gerrold, has probably the best 1st chapter I have ever read in a book.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

CaptainYesterday posted:

It's come to my realization that there hasn't been any really, really good sci-fi since the 70's, and any good sci-fi since then is based on works from the 70's or earlier. Think about it - where have all the fresh ideas gone?

With that being said, if I knew how to write a spec script, I'd write a sci-fi script that explicitly harkens back to the style of 70's sci-fi.

are you talking about books? because if so you're a dumbass. there are plenty of amazing modern sci fi books out there

or are you talking about movies? because if so you're still a dumbass. sci-fi movies are only good for the visuals and little else.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Armada is the best sci-fi book of the last couple of decades.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

Wasn't this a literal plot point in A Scanner Darkly?

Yeah, Dick was AWARE of it, since he was also a very perceptive and good writer, but he also fell victim to it since a PS can't really control their impulses.

MeLKoR posted:

Armada is the best sci-fi book of the last couple of decades.

Ernest Cline should be put in an Iso-Cube, a method of imprisonment from the 2000AD series Judge Dredd, a British comic from the 1970s about an authoritarian super cop named Judge Dredd who imprisons people in prisons called Iso-Cubes.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TNG posted:

Ernest Cline should be put in an Iso-Cube, a method of imprisonment from the 2000AD series Judge Dredd, a British comic from the 1970s about an authoritarian super cop named Judge Dredd who imprisons people in prisons called Iso-Cubes.

Does this Dread person make funny references to stuff from my childhood?

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

MeLKoR posted:

Oh yeah, I'm sure you could get Dredd talking about Galaga, Margaret Thatcher, and Pop Rocks. That's the sort of talent Ernest Cline is wielding here. You were born in the early 70s like all REAL sci-fi fans, right?

TNG fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 7, 2015

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

Dredd is extremely tonally inconsistent.

He brutally owns mutants and stuff after setting out on a journey to fix the 2TFRU-T virus (Tutti Frutti are a kind of candy in the UK), and the mutants eat Heinz beans.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I was going to say Delany, then I remembered all his good poo poo was written in the 1970s, so yeah

You should still read Dhalgren, though, it owns. Goons love that jumbled-word poo poo in House of Leaves but Delany did it first, and better.

edit: there's some outliers (Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun was written in the very early 1980's and is some of the best SF ever written), but yeah SFF has been in a big slump since the mid-80's and has only recently started to come out of it (mostly thanks to all the ladies and POC's writing quality poo poo who the right-wing is desperate to crush)

Popular Human fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 7, 2015

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Hobohemian posted:

I didn't know dick was a narc. I thought crazy people were not supposed to trust the government.

he also did not trust the government

but he was crazy

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Kids gotta learn about TekWar sooner or later.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

somebody told me Ready Player One was cool

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Popular Human posted:

I was going to say Delany, then I remembered all his good poo poo was written in the 1970s, so yeah

You should still read Dhalgren, though, it owns. Goons love that jumbled-word poo poo in House of Leaves but Delany did it first, and better.

edit: there's some outliers (Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun was written in the very early 1980's and is some of the best SF ever written), but yeah SFF has been in a big slump since the mid-80's and has only recently started to come out of it (mostly thanks to all the ladies and POC's writing quality poo poo who the right-wing is desperate to crush)

I think my favorite bit about all that "puppies" Hugo bullshit is that the right wingers nominated a genderqueer uber liberal whose story was about undefined and fluidic gender roles in a society of shapeshifters because she was a white lady.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

My Parents took me to see "Barbarella" when I was 6 years old. For those of you thinking that this was really weird, it would be, except for a few things.

1. It was science fiction, and thus, my folks figured it was going to be just another science fiction Ray Gun story.

2. The MPAA rating service did not yet exist. This film came out in October of 1968, and the MPAA ratings went into effect about 2 weeks after this came out. Of course, it was rated R when it was finally rated.

3. I was six. I didn't understand much of what was going on. But I did understand the concept of Naked Ladies. That's about all I got out of it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

genesplicer posted:

My Parents took me to see "Barbarella" when I was 6 years old. For those of you thinking that this was really weird, it would be, except for a few things.

1. It was science fiction, and thus, my folks figured it was going to be just another science fiction Ray Gun story.

2. The MPAA rating service did not yet exist. This film came out in October of 1968, and the MPAA ratings went into effect about 2 weeks after this came out. Of course, it was rated R when it was finally rated.

3. I was six. I didn't understand much of what was going on. But I did understand the concept of Naked Ladies. That's about all I got out of it.

her plastic covered boobs made you feel weird, didn't they?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
The Matrix 1 was good sci fi. 2 and 3 are good reasons to want to kill yourself, though.

Pitch Black was good sci fi. Kinda the same deal on the sequels, though.

Mad Max were all good to great sci fi.

Can we count movies like Aliens, Terminator and Predator or are those just action cheese with a sci fi flavor?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

what the gently caress? chronicles of riddick is like 10000x better than pitch black, jfc

chronicles of riddick is literally one of the top achievements of the 20th century (even though it was made in 2004)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

nomadologique posted:

what the gently caress? chronicles of riddick is like 10000x better than pitch black, jfc

chronicles of riddick is literally one of the top achievements of the 20th century (even though it was made in 2004)

Riddick is a better movie

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

chronicles of riddick has tom waits AND karl urban

and judi dench, lol

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

nomadologique posted:

It's like one third of a lovely trilogy that has little or nothing to do with the other films and has its narrative arc killed off in the third one. It has some good moments but there's a lot of explaining and exposition they just don't ever get to.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

nomadologique posted:

chronicles of riddick has tom waits AND karl urban

and judi dench, lol

those are all hot guys, but it is still a bad movie

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

when i watch chronicles of riddick i imagine it is an installation in an incredible and genre-defining series of moves with a fully fleshed out story that makes sense, from an alternate universe

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the viewers from that unverse would "get" why riddick is the way he is, what i s going on, and what comes before and after

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

nomadologique posted:

when i watch chronicles of riddick i imagine it is an installation in an incredible and genre-defining series of moves with a fully fleshed out story that makes sense, from an alternate universe

Do you do all the moves while you watch it?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i am not atyhletic enough for an open palm slam let alone all the sweet martial arts he gets up to

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

but when i see a girl i do that thing like where he runs away from the crashing spaceship LOL

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Riddick is like Wolverine in space. He's interesting when fighting monsters, but because he has so much plot armor his interactions with humans just turn him into this giant, boring Mary Sue.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

when it's all on the line, and the question is one of genre fiction, i never want anything but a giant boring mary sue

this is why Burn Notice is the single best spy show ever made

i don't want my mind blown, god sakes, i want my expectations fulfilled and nothing out of place

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

save sophistication for literature, which can use the language of genre fiction but isn't genre fiction; no matter how you dress it up genre fiction will never be sophisticated, so the simpler the better; this is why all these nerds waxing their dicks about mad max fury road are so misguided, it's a good movie but it's not in its fundamentals any better than fast and the furious, which revels in itself instead of giving its audience an excuse to play holier than thou

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

nomadologique posted:

when it's all on the line, and the question is one of genre fiction, i never want anything but a giant boring mary sue

this is why Burn Notice is the single best spy show ever made

i don't want my mind blown, god sakes, i want my expectations fulfilled and nothing out of place

Burn notice is Batman in Miami.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Leviathan wakes is a tremendous horror/sci-fi novel and is very much original content.

The latest Gibson novel Seveneves is also a fantastic pressure cooker of a plot. Very original stuff, solid science.

I also had the pleasure of reading a few Glen Cook novels recently. While they're 80s as heck in some parts, his narrative style and plots are still pretty fresh.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

natetimm posted:

Riddick is like Wolverine in space. He's interesting when fighting monsters, but because he has so much plot armor his interactions with humans just turn him into this giant, boring Mary Sue.

Its weird to me that sci-fi etc has its own terminology for literary criticism. Nobody says "Mary Sue" unless they are talking about sci-fi/fantasy/games. I can't even tell what it means besides "is stronger and smarter than all the other characters," which is a literary trope since Gilgamesh.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Agag posted:

Its weird to me that sci-fi etc has its own terminology for literary criticism. Nobody says "Mary Sue" unless they are talking about sci-fi/fantasy/games. I can't even tell what it means besides "is stronger and smarter than all the other characters," which is a literary trope since Gilgamesh.

For me, it's not just being stronger and smarter, there has to be some sort of plot device inherent to the character. Wolverine, for example, has unbreakable bones and claws and his ridiculous healing factor. Riddick is a member of an uber-race and has those eye implants. It's always something fantastical that explains why the character can accomplish things that normal people can't. Batman is not really a Mary Sue because his traits of being uber-rich and well-trained, actually exist in real life. He has to plan accordingly for things like guns, bullets, poison, fist fights, etc. Normal hazards like that only really come into play with Mary Sue characters when it pleases the writer.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

natetimm posted:

For me, it's not just being stronger and smarter, there has to be some sort of plot device inherent to the character. Wolverine, for example, has unbreakable bones and claws and his ridiculous healing factor. Riddick is a member of an uber-race and has those eye implants. It's always something fantastical that explains why the character can accomplish things that normal people can't. Batman is not really a Mary Sue because his traits of being uber-rich and well-trained, actually exist in real life. He has to plan accordingly for things like guns, bullets, poison, fist fights, etc. Normal hazards like that only really come into play with Mary Sue characters when it pleases the writer.

I'm just saying this isn't any different from Achilles.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Agag posted:

its Romeo. Romeo is a mary sue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

its Romeo. Romeo is a mary sue

I could see that.

Also all Space Marines.

• Locked thread